Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Stan S. Stanman posted:

Hoping a Verizon expert can tell me how this works. I have a 5s that becomes eligible to upgrade on 4/21 because it was from the old 2 year contract. My wife has a 6s. She likes the new 5se so I want to replace my 5s with a 5se and then swap phones with her.

My first question is do I incur any kind of extra cost if I just go buy an se at full price right now? I don't need to wait another 3 weeks to avoid any costs,right? I saw Apple was offering a trade in value of $150 for my 5s so I was thinking about just going to the Apple Store and trading in my current phone for the se.

Second, I assume it's easy to swap my 5se once I get it with my wife's 6s? Do I have to go to a Verizon store for that?

What plan are you on? Depending on your plan, you might have to start on device payment and then pay it off to get the discount.

Also, Verizon is offering $160 for a 5S if upgrading to a SE on Device payment. Again that's if you want to wait. If you want the 64GB it might be beach ordered anyway, i know it is at Verizon.

And finally, Verizon has a retention system. It varies wildly what you qualify for, some people can get a discount on a phone, some do not.

If you are on the new plans you can buy phone outright and feel fine. If you are on the old more everything plans and are staying on them you should upgrade on device payment to ensure you get the monthly no contract discount.

Swapping phones is easy and you do that at home. Just backup both phones to iCloud, swap SIMs , erase phones and restore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

What plan are you on? Depending on your plan, you might have to start on device payment and then pay it off to get the discount.

Also, Verizon is offering $160 for a 5S if upgrading to a SE on Device payment. Again that's if you want to wait. If you want the 64GB it might be beach ordered anyway, i know it is at Verizon.

And finally, Verizon has a retention system. It varies wildly what you qualify for, some people can get a discount on a phone, some do not.

If you are on the new plans you can buy phone outright and feel fine. If you are on the old more everything plans and are staying on them you should upgrade on device payment to ensure you get the monthly no contract discount.

Swapping phones is easy and you do that at home. Just backup both phones to iCloud, swap SIMs , erase phones and restore.

We are on one of those new family plans. The 6gb a month shared plan with the $20 per phone charges. I think my phone is still at $40 a month until after 4/20 then it hits it's original 2 year contract date. We switched to this plan back in September when we upgraded my wife's phone to the 6s.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stan S. Stanman posted:

We are on one of those new family plans. The 6gb a month shared plan with the $20 per phone charges. I think my phone is still at $40 a month until after 4/20 then it hits it's original 2 year contract date. We switched to this plan back in September when we upgraded my wife's phone to the 6s.

Ok cool. So either way, you can buy phone outright or on the payment plan, and your plan will go automatically down $20 April 20th. So I'm more confident now in saying that you could go to Apple and buy it out right and be fine.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Duckman2008 posted:

What phone did you get? The turbo 2 is 50% off (or something close to that) with device payment at the moment. So that could be it.

Hella long time ago, sorry for not checking up on the thread. I went with the Samsung S6, which had some kinda buy one get one free deal going on some month or so after I got it.

Speaking of - and kind of why I stopped by - I just got an update prompt for 6.0.1. I can't imagine anything going weird, but wanted to get in touch with the thread and ask anyways. This doesn't seem like any big overhaul update, I guess? Any reason I shouldn't take it on my stock (non-rooted/etc) S6?

Stupid question I guess but it's been some years since I had a phone that was.. Well, supported.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
So is wifi calling not coming to the iphone 5s? Everything I read said that it would be but it looks like Verizon is only allowing it on the 6 and some newer android stuff. I really don't want to pay $500 for a new phone because Verizon has lovely coverage in half my apartment.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KodiakRS posted:

So is wifi calling not coming to the iphone 5s? Everything I read said that it would be but it looks like Verizon is only allowing it on the 6 and some newer android stuff. I really don't want to pay $500 for a new phone because Verizon has lovely coverage in half my apartment.

I guess not. I haven't seen anything saying it would be coming. Sorry dude.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Hey Duckman. You still have my google and poo poo? I'd rather you gently caress with my account than a random CSR and I'm not working in wireless these days. Gonna flip an old legacy 2100 min to a share data deal soon. 20 gigs at least, 4 lines. Plus, I'm curious about some Fios poo poo if you have any info. Long story short, I work for Frontier now, questions, etc, we'll have to chat. Let me know if you still have me in your google. :)

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, can you no longer make any changes to a non-shared data family plan without moving to shared data? I have five lines on my account (3 smartphones and 2 dumbphones), including my unlimited data plan, but want to cancel one of the dumbphones (the contract is expired and no one is using it anymore). I'm not seeing a way to do so without moving to a data bucket, which I really don't want to do.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

XIII posted:

So, can you no longer make any changes to a non-shared data family plan without moving to shared data? I have five lines on my account (3 smartphones and 2 dumbphones), including my unlimited data plan, but want to cancel one of the dumbphones (the contract is expired and no one is using it anymore). I'm not seeing a way to do so without moving to a data bucket, which I really don't want to do.

Just call. It's not a big deal. Unless somehow Verizon went cray recently.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

Hey Duckman. You still have my google and poo poo? I'd rather you gently caress with my account than a random CSR and I'm not working in wireless these days. Gonna flip an old legacy 2100 min to a share data deal soon. 20 gigs at least, 4 lines. Plus, I'm curious about some Fios poo poo if you have any info. Long story short, I work for Frontier now, questions, etc, we'll have to chat. Let me know if you still have me in your google. :)

Id help, but they are in crackdown Mode so i won't touch accounts unless they are in store. Sorry dude.

I am still down for chatting and can give general info. I don't have your google info anymore, PM it to me.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I need to go pay off my old phone and get a new one. I know when I added a line for my daughter I got a really good deal going through the kiosk at Costco. Any suggestions as to whether doing that or going to an actual Verizon store would be better for my case?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

vulturesrow posted:

I need to go pay off my old phone and get a new one. I know when I added a line for my daughter I got a really good deal going through the kiosk at Costco. Any suggestions as to whether doing that or going to an actual Verizon store would be better for my case?

I would just stop by both and price check.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Any ideas on when Droid Turbo is getting Marshmallow? My personal phone (Turbo 2) is rocking IT (finally), but my work phone is still on Lolli.

My next phone will not be through Verizon and probably not a Motorola. Worst bunch of feet draggers ever.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Not sure, I'm waiting on it on my Turbo as well. I was thinking June-July though if it falls in line with previous updates.

I actually like Motorolas, the real problem is Verizon taking decades to thumbs up every update Moto wants to push.

Non-carrier devices are the best for this. Especially bootloader unlockable devices, because a smartphone is a computer and you should be able to backup and restore it like one, imo.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Wickerman posted:

I actually like Motorolas, the real problem is Verizon taking decades to thumbs up every update Moto wants to push.

This is my primary complaint. I really like my Turbo, the Turbo 2 less so. The Moto X Pure is appealing from a software perspective, not so much from a hardware perspective. My ideal right now would be a Turbo with pure Marshmallow.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm a big Moto fan in general, but even I'm shying away from them now. I have a Moto X Pure and it's been fantastic. I've been on Marshmallow since Oct so that's great.

However, even on this handset they are dropping the ball big time on the monthly security updates and they haven't yet pushed 6.0.1. That, combined with the warranty stuff people have endured with the MXP, had made me admit that Lenovo finally killed them.

Shame. My phone history has been an OG Droid, Bionic, Razr, Razr HD MAXX, Droid MAXX, Turbo, and now MXP. But I think I'm out as a customer, every sign points to them circling the drain.

If I upgrade a handset this year, it will probably be to go to a new Nexus.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

bull3964 posted:

I'm a big Moto fan in general, but even I'm shying away from them now. I have a Moto X Pure and it's been fantastic. I've been on Marshmallow since Oct so that's great.

However, even on this handset they are dropping the ball big time on the monthly security updates and they haven't yet pushed 6.0.1. That, combined with the warranty stuff people have endured with the MXP, had made me admit that Lenovo finally killed them.

Shame. My phone history has been an OG Droid, Bionic, Razr, Razr HD MAXX, Droid MAXX, Turbo, and now MXP. But I think I'm out as a customer, every sign points to them circling the drain.

See, I generally like the Nexus 6P, but between its size and materials, it's too hard for me to hold. And the 5X doesn't do it for me. It's me, I'm the princess and the pea.

Late to the game
Dec 4, 2014

bull3964 posted:

I highly recommend the Nexus 6P on Verizon(if you're stuck on a plan). I am stuck in a contract with Verizon and my phone decided to bite the dust a few weeks ago. I knew I didn't want to buy another "Verizon" phone because I am switching to a different provider in the summer so the newest nexus products were perfect. With a Verizon Nano Sim I just popped it in and it works perfectly. It is awesome not having any bullshit Verizon apps and having the latest updates first.

Late to the game fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 10, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I wouldn't buy a 2015 flagship at this point.

My Moto X 2015 is great for now. I actually like it a lot more than either of the Nexus offerings at the moment. I just don't like the direction Motorola is going so their 2016 flagship is likely not going to be for me.

Funny thing is, the Moto X has FEWER pre-installed apps than even the Nexus devices right now. I own a 5x as well (also a Pixel C and Nexus 7 2013), and the Moto X has by far the cleanest system image.

I'm not 'stuck' on Verizon, but there's no compelling reason to move. T-Mobile coverage is poo poo, Sprint is laughable in general, and AT&T would be a lateral move at best. I get a corporate discount for either AT&T or Verizon so T-Mobile would end up being more expensive as well. Above all that, my work comps me $110 /month for wireless, so my actual cost is zero anyways.

What I want is for more manufacturers to jump on the "unbranded cross carrier handset" bandwagon. I will never buy another carrier branded device, but that basically leaves the choice up to Moto or Nexus.

Maybe this will be the year I skip upgrading my phone. I really don't see a compelling reason to this year anyways outside of "new and shiny", so maybe I'll see if the situation improves in 2017.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Late to the game posted:

I highly recommend the Nexus 6P on Verizon(if you're stuck on a plan). I am stuck in a contract with Verizon and my phone decided to bite the dust a few weeks ago. I knew I didn't want to buy another "Verizon" phone because I am switching to a different provider in the summer so the newest nexus products were perfect. With a Verizon Nano Sim I just popped it in and it works perfectly. It is awesome not having any bullshit Verizon apps and having the latest updates first.

Seconding this, I used a Note 4 for two years on Verizon and switched to T-Mo. Even though all of Verizon's phones are supposed to be "unlocked", with a T-Mo SIM everything was busted, no data and voice at the same time, even loving touch tones didn't work. Now I switched to a Nexus 6p, the fingerprint unlock on it is great, Google Voice triggers even when the phone is asleep and across the room so I can use it like one of those Alexa things, and somehow the battery is much better too, probably because it actually gets Android updates.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

What I want is for more manufacturers to jump on the "unbranded cross carrier handset" bandwagon. I will never buy another carrier branded device, but that basically leaves the choice up to Moto or Nexus.

The LG G5 is available in an unlocked version that will work on Verizon, but then you're using a G5.

HTC apparently decided to throw up their hands and not sell a Verizon-capable unlocked model.

It will be a cold day in Hell before Samsung ever does it, I imagine.

if you're not using a Nexus you ought to be using an iPhone anyway, so ultimately it's moot

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

kitten smoothie posted:

if you're not using a Nexus you ought to be using an iPhone anyway, so ultimately it's moot

Yeah, only if you really enjoy wasting money to buy new peripherals for your device every 2 generations from now on.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!
Whats the decent android phone out there for verizon right now for upgrade on device payment? It's for my mom and she's been using the moto droid maxx. Important things are long battery life and non laggy interface with a nice camera. S7, S7 Edge, motorola? I might be able to convince her to shell out for the nexus 6p if that's going to be the best option.

Can you add asurion insurance for the nexus 6p if you don't buy it from verizon? Thanks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

king of the bongo posted:

Whats the decent android phone out there for verizon right now for upgrade on device payment? It's for my mom and she's been using the moto droid maxx. Important things are long battery life and non laggy interface with a nice camera. S7, S7 Edge, motorola? I might be able to convince her to shell out for the nexus 6p if that's going to be the best option.

Can you add asurion insurance for the nexus 6p if you don't buy it from verizon? Thanks.

If money isn't an objection Samsung S7 or Turbo 2. Personally I would do S7. If money is an objection Maxx 2 is pretty decent.

Verizon/Asurion won't insure a Nexus 6P. There are probably 3rd parties that will.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I'm pretty thrilled with my Turbo 2, coming off an older Maxx HD. Battery life is basically not a concern, I can get easily 4-5 hours of screen on time, or 8-10 hours of streaming music over wifi/Bluetooth with a couple hours of screen time.

I considered the Moto X Pure, but decided to do device payment on my plan rather than pay up front. I'm not planning to leave VZW anytime in the near future, and will probably add my wife on a newer iPhone when she decides to upgrade her current (Sprint) iPhone 5c.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is installment payment the way to go these days? My last 2 year contract is coming up soon and I'm looking to get an S7. When the installment plans were first introduced they seemed not my cup of tea, but it looks like the norm.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

Is installment payment the way to go these days? My last 2 year contract is coming up soon and I'm looking to get an S7. When the installment plans were first introduced they seemed not my cup of tea, but it looks like the norm.

Usually. If you post your plan specifics I can confirm and also make sure you are on the right plan. It does depend on your plan.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Duckman2008 posted:

Usually. If you post your plan specifics I can confirm and also make sure you are on the right plan. It does depend on your plan.
PMed you.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I have that 30GB for $110 plan and heard something about the out of contract discounts going away if you're not on a DPP. If I'm on that older plan can I still get them?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FordPRefectLL posted:

I have that 30GB for $110 plan and heard something about the out of contract discounts going away if you're not on a DPP. If I'm on that older plan can I still get them?

Far as I can tell yes, but mileage will vary. It used to be anyone could add it on, now it only can be adds on by manager override.

If you already have the discount on the line, hen you're fine. They're just putting on rules of who can add a $25 off contract discount once a $40 line goes off contract.

Overall, I would always just call care for it. I would be surprised if they said no once you gave one whiff of cancelling service.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

king of the bongo posted:

If you buy the phone direct from Google you can get damage/extended warranty coverage from them as a point of sale add on. Doesn't cover loss/theft, but also cheaper and just a one time payment.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Alternatively if you can wait another 3-5 months, this year's generation of devices should be fully rolled out.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I've been dealing with a 'we (Verizon) pay off your phones with your other carrier if you switch to us' but 'verizon keeps coding the promo incorrectly so the old carrier is breathing down my neck and dinging my credit' thing for three months now. Whats the best way to get this escalated? This is past absurd.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You should pay off your old carrier to stop loving your credit. Vzw is just gonna give you a prepaid card anyway, not directly pay it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I got all excited when my Turbo had an update waiting this morning. Then I found out it wasn't Marshmallow. :laffo:

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Yep, all it was was an updated modem and a patch for the bootloader unlock exploit that was discovered awhile back. Apparently if your bootloader is already unlocked, then it's safe to take the update. If your bootloader is still locked and you take the update, existing methods to unlock the bootloader will no longer work.

Apparently they have begun soak tests of Android MM 6.0 beta on the Turbo though as of a few days ago (according to XDA/jcase.)

Wickerman fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 18, 2016

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tide posted:

I've been dealing with a 'we (Verizon) pay off your phones with your other carrier if you switch to us' but 'verizon keeps coding the promo incorrectly so the old carrier is breathing down my neck and dinging my credit' thing for three months now. Whats the best way to get this escalated? This is past absurd.

I assume you uploaded your last bill or the amount you owed whatever carrier to vow.com/switch ? If so, there's a number they give you if it's rejected, I would call that and talk to them, that department can sometimes fix it pretty quick.

And yeah, you might want to bite the bullet in the meantime and pay other carrier.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Just curious.

I still have grandfathered unlimited and a %S iPhone that may be on it's last legs. Which current offering by Verizon looks to have the best chance at long-term longevity in the event I am in a position to buy at full price?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Get a nexus 6p or 5x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Or just buy an unlocked iPhone 6s at the Apple store.

• Locked thread