Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I'd like to try my hand at making soba from scratch. Anybody got any good videos/sites giving a good rundown of the finer points? I've made plenty of pasta, ramen, and udon before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Philip Rivers posted:

Do you mean like cheesecloth? That's what I'm imagining here.
Sounds like cheesecloth.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Pegnose Pete posted:

Y'all have me inspired to try my hand at kimchi for the first time. I live in Japan so most of the stuff shouldn't be too hard to find.
The most common pickling tubs I have seen here are those big plastic yellow ones, but I really want to try making it in an earthenware pot.

If you're in or around Tokyo, hit up pretty much any grocery store in Shin-Okubo.

Also, literally every Korean person I know under the age of fifty uses Tupperware or similar. The onggi pots are cool as gently caress, but in my dirty waygook opinion, it doesn't really make a difference.

Pegnose Pete posted:

Right now the markets are mostly selling hakusai (nappa) in quarters anyway. The whole small fridge/shopping every day or two thing. I was kind of looking forward to tearing the cabbages in half by hand, seems like it would totally alter the texture.

If you want, you CAN chop up the cabbage into bite-size pieces, rather than stuffing goop between the leaves. That's what I always do, and I am currently enjoying a very fine batch of homemade kimchi that I roasted with chicken, tofu, broccoli, and bacon.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 5, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I always chop the cabbage first. It doesn't make any real difference.

Tofu squeezin' cloth is basically cheesecloth, yes. Making tofu and making cheese have a lot in common. The stuff you curdle the soy milk with is usually powdered gypsum.

Gilgamesh_Novem
Jun 12, 2007

Philip Rivers posted:

Do you mean like cheesecloth? That's what I'm imagining here.

Grand Fromage posted:

I always chop the cabbage first. It doesn't make any real difference.

Tofu squeezin' cloth is basically cheesecloth, yes. Making tofu and making cheese have a lot in common. The stuff you curdle the soy milk with is usually powdered gypsum.

I guess. Although my grandma has few bags and uses them for a lot. She makes herbal tonic by boiling dried herbs and things in traditional pot. Then use the bag to strain with the aid of two sticks.

... i am so glad she is so far away and cannot force me to drink those bitter tonics anymore.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

bringmyfishback posted:

If you're in or around Tokyo, hit up pretty much any grocery store in Shin-Okubo.

Also, literally every Korean person I know under the age of fifty uses Tupperware or similar. The onggi pots are cool as gently caress, but in my dirty waygook opinion, it doesn't really make a difference.

If you want, you CAN chop up the cabbage into bite-size pieces, rather than stuffing goop between the leaves. That's what I always do, and I am currently enjoying a very fine batch of homemade kimchi that I roasted with chicken, tofu, broccoli, and bacon.

I live in a subburb in Nagasaki, so I don't have a lot of options other than shopping online.
Good to know about the tupperware though. I wasn't sure if an onggi would make a difference or not. Thanks!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

OH BY THE WAY if you don't have cheesecloth, buy some pantyhose.

Really.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Pegnose Pete posted:

I live in a subburb in Nagasaki, so I don't have a lot of options other than shopping online.
Good to know about the tupperware though. I wasn't sure if an onggi would make a difference or not. Thanks!

You could try checking the international food section at Don Quijote; the Tokyo and Fukuoka ones occasionally had Korean food IIRC. I just checked Rakuten and they've got Korean food, too.

I feel like the hometown of jjampong/champon should have at least one Korean grocery, though!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Grand Fromage posted:

Someone suggested a really good series on Chinese food (In china! By a Chinese broadcasting company! For Chinese people to watch! I actually think it might have been you who suggested it, Fromage. I forget the name of the documentary though, it was a series) that went pretty in-depth on tofu. It was super interesting! But then towards the end, they start talking about Milky Tofu, a kind of tofu made from milk, and showing how they make it. And oh wow does Milky Tofu look so super cool and interesting and why have I never heard about this stuff, that's so neat, I gotta try making it myself, hell, I bet I could it looks just like make...ing...cheese. It's cheese. That is cheese that they are making. Why did I not realize this.

Tofu is bean cheese.

Now here's a question. Why does tofu puff when you fry it? Aburaage looks almost like a weird pita pocket sometimes. How's it doing that?

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 8, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bringmyfishback posted:

OH BY THE WAY if you don't have cheesecloth, buy some pantyhose.

Really.

Why not buy some cheesecloth?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Subjunctive posted:

Cheesecloth can be very hard to track down in Asia but pantyhose is easy. Most people don't make their own tofu anymore either, so tofu making supplies are also surprisingly hard to find in some places.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Someone suggested a really good series on Chinese food (In china! By a Chinese broadcasting company! For Chinese people to watch! I actually think it might have been you who suggested it, Fromage. I forget the name of the documentary though, it was a series) that went pretty in-depth on tofu. It was super interesting! But then towards the end, they start talking about Milky Tofu, a kind of tofu made from milk, and showing how they make it. And oh wow does Milky Tofu look so super cool and interesting and why have I never heard about this stuff, that's so neat, I gotta try making it myself, hell, I bet I could it looks just like make...ing...cheese. It's cheese. That is cheese that they are making. Why did I not realize this.

I think that was A Bite of China, which is really cool.

I don't remember the milky tofu part but there is a group in southern China with a native cheesemaking tradition, I've always wanted to try it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

drat WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT :downs:

It's very hard to find outside of Europe and North America, in my experience.

e:fb ^^^

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Tofu is bean cheese.

Now here's a question. Why does tofu puff when you fry it? Aburaage looks almost like a weird pita pocket sometimes. How's it doing that?

A Bite of China

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bringmyfishback posted:

drat WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT :downs:

It's very hard to find outside of Europe and North America, in my experience.

e:fb ^^^

Yeah, I didn't know why pantyhose was better than cheesecloth, so I asked. I wasn't trying to say that you were stupid. Sorry if it sounded that way.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Thanks!

I just went back to try and find the tofu episode of A Bite Of China and OH MY GOD THERE'S TWO MORE SEASONS NOW yaaaaaaay

Oh, for cheesemaking, you can also use an old t-shirt. Just soak and rinse it really good in fresh water to get the detergent flavor out.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 9, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pegnose Pete posted:

Y'all have me inspired to try my hand at kimchi for the first time. I live in Japan so most of the stuff shouldn't be too hard to find.
The most common pickling tubs I have seen here are those big plastic yellow ones, but I really want to try making it in an earthenware pot.

I have wanted to try Maangchi's recipe for ages but it seemed so labor intensive. May actually go for it this season!

Also, I have been making bentos for my gf and I recently. Here are some of the results from this week.

Standard tamagoyaki, veggie sides are usually hourensou or green beans done gomaae style or just with shoyu and sugar, gobou kinpira because it is cheap and awesome.
The karaage I usually buy at a corner shop because it rules and is only like 300 yen for 6 pieces.
The main in the second one is an italian meatball recipe that I subbed in instead of Japanese hamburger.

e:
And here is today's! Some miso pork chop, yakisoba, gomaae hourensou, tamagoyaki.

Gag. I loving hate raw tomatoes, both cherry and normal size. The rest looks great, though!

I don't know why I'm not posting my own lunches in this thread. Welp, that's gonna change. Just as soon as I make another...

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pollyanna posted:

Gag. I loving hate raw tomatoes, both cherry and normal size. The rest looks great, though!

I don't know why I'm not posting my own lunches in this thread. Welp, that's gonna change. Just as soon as I make another...

Tradsies. You can have all my carrots. However, there's the sad chance you've never tasted a fine summer ripe cherry tomato fresh off the vine. It's the candy of June.

Does anyone have a good method for organizing chopsticks? All of mine are in the butter knife section of my silverware drawer, and it looks messy. Can never find two of the same chopstick.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I went to an asian store and they had a chopstick holder- it was basically a tall pencil holder with a lid and a pattern of little painted chopsticks.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Tradsies. You can have all my carrots. However, there's the sad chance you've never tasted a fine summer ripe cherry tomato fresh off the vine. It's the candy of June.

Does anyone have a good method for organizing chopsticks? All of mine are in the butter knife section of my silverware drawer, and it looks messy. Can never find two of the same chopstick.

Get a bunch of the same ones. Voila.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

totalnewbie posted:

Get a bunch of the same ones. Voila.

Yeah, I had that idea, but y'see, I keep finding cute cheap chopsticks that need homes.

I'm also the only person in the house that uses chopsticks.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 12, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Get some long roll of cloth with loops in it, and you can make a big production out of getting a pair out. Like a movie assassin opening his "toolbox".

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Get a cylindrical vase.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Doing this one. Goodwill ahoy!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Critique my lunch!

Sweet potato salad, panfried chicken nuggets on green bean goma-ae, carrot-zucchini kinpira, iri tamago on white rice, carrot-stuffed chikuwa, and salt-pepper chicken thigh on Napa cabbage leaf asazuke.

The sesame dressing doesn't stick very well to the green beans, I find. It's a little disappointing. How do I make it adhere to the beans better?

I had made blanched asparagus as a side dish as well, but they turned out awful. They were mushy and bland, so I added salt to try and help that...too much salt. Whole thing was ruined. :sigh: So I added some chikuwa instead, which I'm not in love with, but works as filler I guess.

This is a good example of why you can never have too many side dishes. I actually just barely had enough to put a lunch together. Normally I have some collard/spinach namul, but I got lazy and didn't make any for the week. I'll have to do that when I get home.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 12, 2016

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Pollyanna posted:

Critique my lunch!

Sweet potato salad, panfried chicken nuggets on green bean goma-ae, carrot-zucchini kinpira, iri tamago on white rice, carrot-stuffed chikuwa, and salt-pepper chicken thigh on Napa cabbage leaf asazuke.

The sesame dressing doesn't stick very well to the green beans, I find. It's a little disappointing. How do I make it adhere to the beans better?

I had made blanched asparagus as a side dish as well, but they turned out awful. They were mushy and bland, so I added salt to try and help that...too much salt. Whole thing was ruined. :sigh: So I added some chikuwa instead, which I'm not in love with, but works as filler I guess.

This is a good example of why you can never have too many side dishes. I actually just barely had enough to put a lunch together. Normally I have some collard/spinach namul, but I got lazy and didn't make any for the week. I'll have to do that when I get home.

Looks like a tasty and healthy lunch, good job!

From a arrangement standpoint, I would try more color variation, perhaps moving the chikuwa and adding in something bright like some fresh veggies.
The iritamago looks good, I should do that this week.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I'm going to be making chanko nabe for my parents this weekend, can anybody suggest a good recipe? I'd probably prefer to go with one of the salt broth based ones if that helps. We've got a few Asian grocery stores around here so I can probably get some fairly exotic ingredients but they're more specialized in Vietnamese stuff.

themongol
Apr 30, 2006
Let us celebrate our agreement with the adding of chocolate to milk.
just got a tsukemono press!

https://www.amazon.ca/Liter-Tsukemo...words=Tsukemono

Any one has any tips? favorite recipes?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

themongol posted:

I've had good success slicing carrots and celery thin and pickling those, along with the celery leaves. Maybe try adding some dill or other fresh herbs to make them taste nice! White/savoy cabbage works too, but I wasn't a fan of Napa cabbage for some reason. You can pickle cucumbers as well, but they don't end up like typical western pickles - they're still cucumbers, unfortunately. In general, the quality of the vegetables you use don't change much.

Incidentally, the rule of thumb is to use 2% of the total pickling material's weight in salt. So, if 400g of stuff is going into the press, rub in 8g of salt.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

themongol posted:

This book is really excellent. It had been out of print for quite a long time but is now back in print and available at a really good price.
It has various asazuke and other more involved Japanese pickles.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
Don't remember if I got it off this thread but I did this baked tonkatsu for dinner. About to move out of my grandparent's place, so I'm cooking more often. I called it "crumbed pork" because I know they'd complain about a weird name

Had no panko or other crumbs so I just put some cornflakes in a plastic bag and beat it with a hammer. Worked well.
Sauce was worcester, tomato sauce and some crazy hot tiny peppers that grow in the yard of my shut-in (dead?) neighbour. They won't mind. Just crushing them and putting them in gave it some punch, not sure if I want to grind them up more next time.
Bought a $14 rice cooker, it works really well for the cost. Not that I've had any before to compare it to.

Looks like dog barf because bad camera + I ate the eye-pleasing green beans in the time it took to whip out my phone

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
So I got a jar of Shichimi Togarashi spice powder from my mom. I've never heard of it before, so what do I do with it?

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su

Thoht posted:

I'd like to try my hand at making soba from scratch. Anybody got any good videos/sites giving a good rundown of the finer points? I've made plenty of pasta, ramen, and udon before.

I also want to do this. If you do a google video search on "make soba" there are some results. That said, I think the best bet would be to go to one of the few places left in the world that make their soba by hand and slip them a benjamin to train you. This would probably save you quite a bit of time in the long run. I am not aware of any such place in the Washington DC area where I'm from. There are a couple places in Chinatown that make noodles by hand, but not soba or udon.

I know Sobaya in NYC makes Soba by hand, and I went to Miyabi 45th in Seattle that does as well. Anyone know of any other handmade soba places in the US?

http://www.seattletimes.com/pacific-nw-magazine/seattle-chef-specializes-in-a-rarity-handmade-buckwheat-soba-noodles/

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

ScottyWired posted:

Don't remember if I got it off this thread but I did this baked tonkatsu for dinner. About to move out of my grandparent's place, so I'm cooking more often. I called it "crumbed pork" because I know they'd complain about a weird name

Had no panko or other crumbs so I just put some cornflakes in a plastic bag and beat it with a hammer. Worked well.
Sauce was worcester, tomato sauce and some crazy hot tiny peppers that grow in the yard of my shut-in (dead?) neighbour. They won't mind. Just crushing them and putting them in gave it some punch, not sure if I want to grind them up more next time.
Bought a $14 rice cooker, it works really well for the cost. Not that I've had any before to compare it to.

Looks like dog barf because bad camera + I ate the eye-pleasing green beans in the time it took to whip out my phone

That looks awesome. Will have to try it sometime.

Wahad posted:

So I got a jar of Shichimi Togarashi spice powder from my mom. I've never heard of it before, so what do I do with it?

I just shake it over food before I eat it like you would with salt or pepper. It's more of a condiment than an ingredient for cooking from my experience.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Is there a way to make my daikon pickles smell less like a dead animal? I love them so much but they smell so bad.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Shnooks posted:

Is there a way to make my daikon pickles smell less like a dead animal? I love them so much but they smell so bad.

Not that I'm aware of. They are always just kinda farty smelling but delicious.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Maybe look up how they're pickled in Korea? I can't recall what Japanese daikon pickles are like but the Korean ones don't have any weird smell.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

ScottyWired posted:

Now I feel less guilty using a box of Oven Fry (basically the same as shake and bake but more crumbs I think?) to do the pork the first time I made tonkatsu.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

Shnooks posted:

open air circulation will take a lot of that away

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I go to a traditional Japanese cooking class every other week...today we are making tofu from scratch apparently. This should be interesting.
The teacher is super legit and trained/taught at some prestigious school in Osaka.
She spent 3 hours teaching us how to make legit dashi and was super strict about it. Anyway it is a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Pegnose Pete posted:

I go to a traditional Japanese cooking class every other week...today we are making tofu from scratch apparently. This should be interesting.
The teacher is super legit and trained/taught at some prestigious school in Osaka.
She spent 3 hours teaching us how to make legit dashi and was super strict about it. Anyway it is a good time.

share!

how do you make legit dashi?