Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

pik_d posted:

Honestly I feel like Bernie lives (literally) for power plays like this.

he's going to lose this one because the teams would rather stick with the worst qualifying system known to man than go to reverse grids or anything else similarly loving retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's shocking that reverse grids are even being considered.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Reverse grids seem like a crazy idea Bernie floats as a negotiating tool, not the actual goal, which weirdly enough seems to be happening.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Big problem we have is this. Bernie and Todt seem to be accountable to no one. The shareholders don't give a poo poo so long as the money rolls in, and strange as it may seem the actual racing has no effect on that at least for the next year, and even if they did Bernie knows where all the bodies are buried, and Todt won the FIA presidential elections because the only person who ran against him pulled out. I can't think of another organisation the size of this one that isn't family run, where if the people in charge are well past retirement age, and completely out of touch with reality, then they are not given a golden handshake and told to gently caress off.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

learnincurve posted:

This conversation is very American. I believe trends are shifting with new cars but in the UK manual has always been the norm and anyone wishing to drive an automatic has had the traditional sneering "automatic gearboxes are far more expensive to replace you know" thrown at them. Mother, this car is a £400* G reg Ford Mondeo I am not planning on changing the gearbox.

*in 2002, it died in 2010 and it was the big end, not the gearbox which was still working fine.

I was feeling the same. The norm in the UK is Manual gear boxes are automatics are not as popular. I don't know about the U.S but in the UK if you pass your driving test in an automatic car you have to to pass the test again if you want to drive a manual in a manual car (I'm pretty sure that's true). However if you pass the test in a manual you are qualified to drive both.

Ive had both types of car and I prefer manuals hands down.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I was feeling the same. The norm in the UK is Manual gear boxes are automatics are not as popular. I don't know about the U.S but in the UK if you pass your driving test in an automatic car you have to to pass the test again if you want to drive a manual in a manual car (I'm pretty sure that's true). However if you pass the test in a manual you are qualified to drive both.

Ive had both types of car and I prefer manuals hands down.

nope. driving tests here in america are a joke. i literally just drove around a few blocks and parallel parked and i was done. did you stop at stop signs? did you use your turn signal? congrats, here's your license.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

It's shocking that reverse grids are even being considered.

Is it really that shocking?

They want to force Mercedes to start out of position.

Please submit your ideas on the back of a postcard and mail it to 6 Princes Gate, London

Roeben
Jul 23, 2013
http://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/2016/04/06/5704eaa6e2704e8f128b458f.html

Mad Max to ride for Mercedes, Redbull or Ferrari next season, according to dad Jos.

Who's gonna get dropped? Kvyat for being subpar? Kimi for being old? Are ROS and HAM going to have a fistfight before the year is over? Or is it all bullshit?

Nobody knows. Not even Jos.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Whitey Ford posted:

Is it really that shocking?

They want to force Mercedes to start out of position.

Please submit your ideas on the back of a postcard and mail it to 6 Princes Gate, London

it's shocking because it's the worst possible idea. there are a million and one ways to try to knock mercedes off the top. the most effective is to loving wait. for some reason they've jumped to the end of the list and tried to the turn the sport into a farce. no one suggested this when ferrari was dominating. no one suggested this when red bull was dominating. they just waited for the order to naturally change, as it ALWAYS does. for some reason everyone has gotten their panties in a bunch about mercedes. i don't understand it.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
But wont reverse grids means the top teams will drive slower on qualifying?

Also why don't all the teams just boycott China until the old system is reinstated.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
He's far too young to go to Ferrari or Mercedes. If anything it's Ricciado to replace Kimi, Kvyat dumped and then both Toro Rosso drivers to Red bull. Then when Lewis retires in a few years either Max , Not-Max or Pascal will go to Mercedes unless Renault or McLaren get acts together.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

But wont reverse grids means the top teams will drive slower on qualifying?

Also why don't all the teams just boycott China until the old system is reinstated.

I assume reverse grids will be championship place or placing at last GP

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

be nice wicka posted:

for some reason everyone has gotten their panties in a bunch about mercedes. i don't understand it.

It's more that Bernie is freaking out about how much "power" the manufacturers have now and is trying to teach them all a lesson. He was fine with it when it was red bull because they were not works, but it might actually have clicked now that the people heavily subsiding the actual racing side of things might want, and deserve, more of a say than some poo poo backmarker or the guy who cocks about setting up races and TV deals in return for a huge fee.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

be nice wicka posted:

it's shocking because it's the worst possible idea. there are a million and one ways to try to knock mercedes off the top. the most effective is to loving wait. for some reason they've jumped to the end of the list and tried to the turn the sport into a farce. no one suggested this when ferrari was dominating. no one suggested this when red bull was dominating. they just waited for the order to naturally change, as it ALWAYS does. for some reason everyone has gotten their panties in a bunch about mercedes. i don't understand it.

The token system has had the impact of limiting the teams ability to catch up to Mercedes. The sport is run by morons

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

be nice wicka posted:

no one suggested this when red bull was dominating.
Nobody? Surely the worst thread must have suggested it

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

daslog posted:

The token system has had the impact of limiting the teams ability to catch up to Mercedes. The sport is run by morons

They were able to spend as much money as they wanted on R&D, the token just limited what they brought to the race.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Riso posted:

They were able to spend as much money as they wanted on R&D, the token just limited what they brought to the race.

The trouble with that, unless you can test it on the track you don't know if it really worked. And with limited engines and no non-race tracktime they were limited in what they could try as well.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

and the token restrictions have been greatly reduced for this year and are entirely gone next year. done.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'll believe the tokens are gone when an official statement says so. Until then its just heresy like three meter long rear tires and front wings you could land a jet fighter on.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the token system is literally gone for 2017, this isn't debatable

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Discussion is over folks move along wicka has decreed

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

be nice wicka posted:

the token system is literally gone for 2017, this isn't debatable

Please link the 2017 regulations which state this.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

1500quidporsche posted:

He's just going to post a Motorsport.com article

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
I've not read the thread for a few days. Can someone give me a brief summary of what this week's argument is about so I can join in?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Brainwrong posted:

I've not read the thread for a few days. Can someone give me a brief summary of what this week's argument is about so I can join in?

Sorry but we can't talk about it anymore

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Jon Noble is reporting that Bernie and the FIA have caved, back to 2015 qualifying from China onward. Didn't we hear this before, though?

edit: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-set-to-revert-to-2015-qualifying-format-685408/

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

El Hefe posted:

He's just going to post a Motorsport.com article

Honestly stop being a child. I'll gladly be wrong but give him a loving chance.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Jon Noble is reporting that Bernie and the FIA have caved, back to 2015 qualifying from China onward. Didn't we hear this before, though?

edit: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-set-to-revert-to-2015-qualifying-format-685408/

I'd argue that any room filled with the autists of F1 and Bernie could produce: "an intense day of political intrigue"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A day of political intrigue in this case is apparently the teams telling Bernie and Todt to stop loving with qualifying.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
A chance to what? He's the one who's always going "this isn't up for debate" or "stop" or whatever the gently caress like he's the one to decide what gets discussed here

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It's both of you tbh. Atleast Wicka sometimes takes evidence into consideration.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

A chance to what? He's the one who's always going "this isn't up for debate" or "stop" or whatever the gently caress like he's the one to decide what gets discussed here

I'm not the one who acts like a little poo poo for no reason whenever a specific person posts anything at all

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

be nice wicka posted:

I'm not the one who acts like a little poo poo for no reason whenever a specific person posts anything at all

Yeah you are

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Can we drop this childish nonsense and get back to misogyny against Claire Williams please??

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

the most recent regs I can find are for 2016 and have the same token limits listed for 2017 so yeah my bad, I don't think they've officially done anything yet

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
You know when I asked earlier if anything had been going on? The answer was clearly "no, everything is just the same as always."

I like you both.

Also, I think someone here got married recently as I have them as a friend on facebook. However, I only know their real name and cannot remember who it was in here. So congratulations, random American facebook friend and fellow SA poster with a username I have forgtotten.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

nsaP posted:

Can we drop this childish nonsense and get back to misogyny against Claire Williams please??

Now that's a Miss I'd like to Ogyny :wiggle:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

nsaP posted:

Since when is sexual innuendo about a lovely lady misogyny??

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Claire Williams is a lovely nice lady and I would like to maybe have coffee with her some time if she wouldnt mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Riso posted:

Since when is sexual innuendo about a lovely lady misogyny??

Since they invented the Internet probably

• Locked thread