Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elerion
May 31, 2011
Make sure you 20% it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Kild posted:

~200 is the expected amount.

Pretty sure 200 is way below average. Vorici 6 is 350, so I'd expect average 6 to be around 300.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Elerion posted:

Make sure you 20% it first.

Does this still work? I thought they changed that.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TheRat posted:

Pretty sure 200 is way below average. Vorici 6 is 350, so I'd expect average 6 to be around 300.

you're forgetting the new quality bonus.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

StashAugustine posted:

Does this still work? I thought they changed that.
They changed it so that quality is not consumed by using jeweler's or fusings. It's probably a lower chance overall thanks to the fact that you no longer have to spend the time using 20 scraps/whetstones for each orb, but it's still there.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Bob NewSCART posted:

So I've rolled up a very decent buzzsaw before it got nerfed. Switch over to a nice cyclone duel wield with that character. With this league, I'm looking to do either melee or mid range (ST, earthquake etc) that's easy to gear and get off the ground and eventually turn my character into a super badass with better gear

Buzzsaw is back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNiCJpG4xMo

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Buzzsaw has been "back" ever since it left, really. I say that having played it every single patch since the term was coined.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Does "low life" on builds mean using high ES/shavs, blood magic and having that passive that increases damage on lowlife?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Tai posted:

Does "low life" on builds mean using high ES/shavs, blood magic and having that passive that increases damage on lowlife?

If you're a spell caster, then yes. Some people do it without that passive for the 30% more and just for the benefit of being able to use more auras on life.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

TheRat posted:

Buzzsaw has been "back" ever since it left, really. I say that having played it every single patch since the term was coined.

so do you agree raider is the way to go then sensei

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

dangerdoom volvo posted:

so do you agree raider is the way to go then sensei

I do. My preferred option is Raider with Avatar of Chase + Way of the poacher. LL Inquisitor is also very solid, as is pathfinder with Master surgeon + veteran bowyer. For HC, champion is also an obvious choice.

E: Messed around with the skilltree for a few minutes, and I think this would be my ideal setup http://poeurl.com/BwW - Crit sword ST with a Vaal Rapier or Jewelled Foil.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 6, 2016

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood
Anybody care to take a quick glance at my new char's skilltree?

I'm going for a super-block character. I use evasion and convert it to armor for damage reduction, and have a ton of block chance with Riposte to damage enemies.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...uE1klFgplf-j03j

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
For starter's, that many passives would put your character around level 94. What I like to do is plan for level 60 (~75 points) and 80 (~100 points); the former is "how do I build this character to have some offense and enough D to not get my rear end kicked by a stiff breeze?", the latter "ok, how do I become a murder god and maybe short up any shortcomings in my D?"

You are going to use other skills besides Riposte, right?

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

whypick1 posted:

For starter's, that many passives would put your character around level 94. What I like to do is plan for level 60 (~75 points) and 80 (~100 points); the former is "how do I build this character to have some offense and enough D to not get my rear end kicked by a stiff breeze?", the latter "ok, how do I become a murder god and maybe short up any shortcomings in my D?"

You are going to use other skills besides Riposte, right?

Currently level 72, running double strike and reave for my primary damage dealers; I seem to be a bit short on DPS, 17k dps for double strike, 15.8k dps for reave. I'm assuming some more damage nodes will shore that up.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Currency tabs just got even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IImLKhWxAQ

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

They listened to reddit!!

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
RIP servers.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

moush posted:

They listened to reddit!!
i love them

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Bugsy posted:

RIP servers.

I was wondering why I clicked Log In and got loading screen for 5 minutes!

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

e: nvm got it

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 8, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I'm now waiting patiently for some redditor to complain even more about this being pay to win or some poo poo.

theshim
May 1, 2012

It's amazing how a few little touches like this go and make the entire game so much more fun to play.

Y'done good, GGG.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Thanks a lot to the kind goon who lent me a Tabula Rasa yesterday for my scion sparker after i cried on chat that i couldn't find a 5L chest on vendors.

Man, the flexibility i got from that allowed to improved all the rest of my gear (that i hadn't changed since lvl30)!

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

TheRat posted:

I do. My preferred option is Raider with Avatar of Chase + Way of the poacher. LL Inquisitor is also very solid, as is pathfinder with Master surgeon + veteran bowyer. For HC, champion is also an obvious choice.

E: Messed around with the skilltree for a few minutes, and I think this would be my ideal setup http://poeurl.com/BwW - Crit sword ST with a Vaal Rapier or Jewelled Foil.

Seems like a bit much to get speed, ele dmg and crit on a sword

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Seems like a bit much to get speed, ele dmg and crit on a sword

Actually they're typically cheap as gently caress.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
I just started playing PoE a few days ago. I'm trying to play as blind as possible, only reading a few game mechanics and the game is pretty sweet so far playing as a HC frost witch of some sort.
Stumbled upon one of those Perandus chest and this popped out.

I was only lvl 27 when it happened so the level requirements for all but one of those skills are way to high. Are skill chests a thing? O.o

theshim
May 1, 2012

There's a bunch of different Perandus boxes, that's the gimmick of this league. A few have different gimmick drops, like the one with skill gems, the one with no items and just a ton of coins, the one with cards, etc. You can also get similar things from gemcutter's strongboxes that roll "contained items have experience".

Basically there's a shitton of stuff in Path of Exile.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

That specific chest you opened drops level skill gems, independent of what level you are at. Worst case is that you can always flip them, as people definitely go for gems pre-leveled gems (usually as a matter of "dammit, my class doesn't have access to this one and I don't want to waste time leveling up a level 1 gem").

Also why are you in global chat? Ewwwwwwww

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

whypick1 posted:

That specific chest you opened drops level skill gems, independent of what level you are at. Worst case is that you can always flip them, as people definitely go for gems pre-leveled gems (usually as a matter of "dammit, my class doesn't have access to this one and I don't want to waste time leveling up a level 1 gem").

Also why are you in global chat? Ewwwwwwww

I have no clue what I'm doing mate. I can quit and join different chats? :)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Mid league when I roll new characters I get a level 20/20 version of whatever skill I'm using. Like right now on my CA dude, I'll probably have a level 16 CA by the time I hit 70 and equip my 20 (or rather 26 thanks to bow/empower :getin:)

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

I just started playing PoE a few days ago. I'm trying to play as blind as possible, only reading a few game mechanics and the game is pretty sweet so far playing as a HC frost witch of some sort.
Stumbled upon one of those Perandus chest and this popped out.

I was only lvl 27 when it happened so the level requirements for all but one of those skills are way to high. Are skill chests a thing? O.o

Your questions were answered above but I just want to comment that I commend your choice to learn the game blind. And certainly as a mainly HC player myself, I agree it's the best way to play.

That said there's so many dumb unexpected mechanics in this game that doing both of those things at the same time is a special kind of hell I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Do with that what you will

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

I have no clue what I'm doing mate. I can quit and join different chats? :)

The big thing is shutting off global chat because its bad. I think there's a button over the chat window that you can check/uncheck to leave chats

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

climboutonalimb posted:

Your questions were answered above but I just want to comment that I commend your choice to learn the game blind. And certainly as a mainly HC player myself, I agree it's the best way to play.

That said there's so many dumb unexpected mechanics in this game that doing both of those things at the same time is a special kind of hell I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Do with that what you will

I'm quite familiar with HC d2 (if anyone need help atm on EUHCL just ask hehe) but I guess this is in a different league?

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

I'm quite familiar with HC d2 (if anyone need help atm on EUHCL just ask hehe) but I guess this is in a different league?

There's a million and one things to consider in this game, but if I had to give one piece of advice for someone starting out in HC it would be to always ID the yellow chests before opening. Seems silly, or to vets, goes without saying, but still an important thing to learn.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just look at Masters and realize that's still a fairly small sliver of what this game has to offer.

If you still want to make things hard on yourself, you can go self-found only.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Make sure you get your auto quit macro when your life goes to a specific value like all the streamers have.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I'm not in the guild but I'll happily help people in HC Perandus. Just send a tell to @Iceyalone. I'm super uninterested in buying gear so I'm mostly just chilling in town

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

whypick1 posted:

Just look at Masters and realize that's still a fairly small sliver of what this game has to offer.

If you still want to make things hard on yourself, you can go self-found only.

Ofc I'm playing self-found. Thanks for the link but I'm not sure I will be looking at it, because I was slowly figuring out what they were about and what mechanics revolved around them.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 7, 2016

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

Ofc I'm playing self-found. Thanks for the link but I'm not sure I will be looking at it, because I was slowly figuring out what they were about and what mechanics revolved around them.

It's difficult to explain without spoilers but I'll give it a go.

The game really has 3 kinds of monsters: plain push over meat sacks -- these are the ones you usually meet and lull you into a sense of confidence/over confidence; monsters (usually bosses) with high damage and/or one shot mechanics that are fairly well telegraphed -- the telegraphs have gotten better over time but to a new player they may not always be obvious; lastly, monsters that look like push over meat sacks but that are blessed with a particular combination of modifiers that give them a crazy damage boost and one-shot potential. (*where "one shot" mechanic is the ability for a monster or combination of monsters to kill you in one hit or very fast sequence of hits where no instant potions and other mitigation ability will save you)

There is no build or character that can face tank all of these one shot mechanics.

The top killer in HC is absolutely hubris with a close second being carelessness. Both of these are objectively avoidable. However, I think, being mistaken about or unaware of these potential one shot mechanics is a close third.

As long as you're comfortable with randomly dying out of nowhere and having to start over again, by all means, proceed to learn on HC. However, my advice would be to play through the early/mid game to Act 4 in merciless on a soft core league, learn the mechanics of the game, then give HC a go.

e: i spel good

climboutonalimb fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

climboutonalimb posted:

It's difficult to explain without spoilers but I'll give it a go.

The game really has 3 kinds of monsters: plain push over meat sacks -- these are the ones you usually meet and lull you into a sense of confidence/over confidence; monsters (usually bosses) with high damage and/or one shot mechanics that are fairly well telegraphed -- the telegraphs have gotten better over time but to a new player they may not always be obvious; lastly, monsters that look like push over meat sacks but that are blessed with a particular combination of modifiers that give them a crazy damage boost and one-shot potential. (*where "one shot" mechanic is the ability for a monster or combination of monsters to kill you in one hit or very fast sequence of hits where no instant potions and other mitigation ability will save you)

There is no build or character that can face tank all of these one shot mechanics.

The top killer in HC is absolutely hubris with a close second being carelessness. Both of these are objectively avoidable. However, I think, being mistaken about or unaware of these potential one shot mechanics is a close third.

As long as you're comfortable with randomly dying out of nowhere and having to start over again, by all means, proceed to learn on HC. However, my advice would be to play through the early/mid game to Act 4 in merciless on a soft core league, learn the mechanics of the game, then give HC a go.

e: i spel good

Well I mean if I die I will be moving to SC, no? I figured if/when I die I'll take it from there if i'll start a new HC char or I'll finish in SC before going back to HC.

Also the thing that will probably kill me is when I run across a pack where I finally have to heal. So far ES has only really disappeared once so I kinda forget to look at my health sometimes and haven't really "practiced" popping pots yet. Maybe popping pots will become a normal thing when I get better ones? Seem you can get some sick ones where you run around constantly buffed by them?

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 7, 2016

• Locked thread