Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

An Angry Bug posted:

That 5% is millions of people, zoux.

Yes I've said they are bad and should be repealed/fought where ever but they are not an insurmountable barrier that will keep the GOP in power even when the whole country is only 10% white in 200 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Daniel Bryan posted:

Not understanding why needing an ID to vote is a ridiculous burden comes from a place of privilege.

"I've had an ID since I was 16, why is this so hard?" is a popular sentiment among people who will never ever get it.

Republicans have been trying to push through voter ID laws for a good 15 years now. It's not something they just sprung on people out of the blue. Get your poo poo together, poor people.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SquadronROE posted:

This is an aside, but what word is the word filter filtering out. I've seen it periodically but can never figure it out because I am old and bad at technology.

You can see the unfiltered version of any post by quoting it, the filters don't work in the reply field.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

zoux posted:

I guess if "knows about political history" is a worrying thing.

For US political history it's been pretty much used to preserve the right of one specific group to vote. Pretty much every time it targeted white people was when it was the "wrong kind of white people", such as the Irish, Mormons, etc...

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Voter suppression has been a thing forever but the modern GOP has been disgustingly shameless about it lately and it should really piss off more people than it does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GBAsFwPglw

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
5% is a huge number in the realm of the electoral college.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RosieGray/status/718128250053128193

:thumbsup:

menino posted:

5% is a huge number in the realm of the electoral college.

Here
http://www.brennancenter.org/analysis/research-and-publications-voter-id

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
lmao @ thinking this though

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/718134372575141888

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

OK thanks for the link to the links

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

SquadronROE posted:

This is an aside, but what word is the word filter filtering out. I've seen it periodically but can never figure it out because I am old and bad at technology.

If you quote the filtered post, you can see what word was filtered out, hth

Try it on this post!

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

metachronos posted:

If you quote the filtered post, you can see what word was filtered out, hth

Try it on this post!

Got it, thanks!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Isn't like rule one of dealing with journalists is that unless you specifically say you're off record before saying something, you're on record?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Teddybear posted:

Isn't like rule one of dealing with journalists is that unless you specifically say you're off record before saying something, you're on record?
Yep. And even then its not like some binding legal law or anything, its just professional courtesy (and smart to honor if you want other people to ever talk to you about stuff and expect to be unattributed).

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Volcott posted:

Republicans have been trying to push through voter ID laws for a good 15 years now. It's not something they just sprung on people out of the blue. Get your poo poo together, poor people.

The best part is they are completely opposed to any mandatory or automatic Federal ID.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Teddybear posted:

Rule one is "Off the record is a handshake agreement so if you say something that's good enough for them to burn you as a source, they're gonna."

But yeah it's even dumber to say it after a live radio interview

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Armyman25 posted:

The best part is they are completely opposed to any mandatory or automatic Federal ID.

Because that's just one step away from tattooing the mark of the beast on your forehead, you monster.

(I wish I were joking)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is the same woman who wanted to allow people to barter things like chickens for healthcare if Obamacare was repealed

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Voter fraud like the one they are describing is really non existent because there are better ways to rig them.

Like it presumes that the person they're impersonating isn't going to vote in the election at all.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is the same woman who wanted to allow people to barter things like chickens for healthcare if Obamacare was repealed

Nope, that was her primary opponent, Sue Lowden, who was the establishment pick and endorsed by the NRSC.

lol

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Teddybear posted:

I listened to the clip; I think he was joking because of how harsh he was being to someone within his own party.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Because that's just one step away from tattooing the mark of the beast on your forehead, you monster.

(I wish I were joking)

Well, that's one half of the equation.

The rest of them don't want the national stuff because it would be harder for them to control it. If you keep the voter stuff local/state wide it's a lot easier to tinker with stuff here and there to suppress the vote and keep a handful of states red than doing it blanket wide over the nation. The federal government's bureaucracy is a lot less interested in letting politicians play that sort of game with their systems.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you want to depress Republican turnout, just make it so you can vote at any polling place statewide and start busing poor people to the ones in GOP heavy districts

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Big reason to be hopeful for the future. Today's young republicans are far more moderate than their predecessors.

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/7/11379022/young-republicans-moderate

Young moderate republicans, and young super liberal democrats bode very well for the future.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Having an RFID chip implanted in your hand would actually be super convenient.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

theblackw0lf posted:

Big reason to be hopeful for the future. Today's young republicans are far more moderate than their predecessors.

Young moderate republicans, and young super liberal democrats bode very well for the future.

I'm not sure why the democrats getting their very own tea party bodes very well for a future that's going to require compromise.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Volcott posted:

Makes it easier for you to be rounded up for UN-FEMA death camps, you mean! #Agenda21

:bahgawd:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Volcott posted:

Kind of a pain in the rear end/hand if it gets cloned, though.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm not sure why the democrats getting their very own tea party bodes very well for a future that's going to require compromise.

How do you get that read from that article?

The whole point of it there's less ideological differences between younger voters than the current party stalwarts.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

theblackw0lf posted:

Yeah that Jacobson study looks pretty damning to social conservatism in general and pretty much backs up Michael Lind's theory that social conservatism will cease to exist soon.

http://thebreakthrough.org/index.php/journal/past-issues/issue-4/the-coming-realignment

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah the Tea Party really boned the GOP in Congress

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

A Democratic Tea Party would be the LaRouchites.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

menino posted:

Yeah the Tea Party really boned the GOP in Congress

Electoral success is one thing, but compromise is quite another.

Eventually we're going to have a Republican President, guys. And unlike some of you I'm going to want my Representative and Senator to cooperate and work together to build a better future that's amenable to most Americans instead of sticking to ideological battle lines.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Teddybear posted:

Yes, and even then, ethically as a journalist, you should always tell them that nothing is ever "off-the-record" -- though thats an idealistic convention that sometimes hurts your ability to find things out

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yes, and even then, ethically as a journalist, you should always tell them that nothing is ever "off-the-record" -- though thats an idealistic convention that sometimes hurts your ability to find things out

Most reporters are going to honor good faith off the record/background requests, because once it gets around that you burned someone like that, no one is going to talk to you.

If they're like "Off the record, I gently caress prostitutes" yeah, that's a story, but if they're like "off the record, senator X is a huge dickhead" they aren't going to write that up.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

RuanGacho posted:

How do you get that read from that article?

The whole point of it there's less ideological differences between younger voters than the current party stalwarts.

No, the entire point of the article was that young republicans are more moderate than their elder counterparts.

And that's great! And you'd have a story about the end of gridlock if you also found that younger democrats were less ideological, less radical and less left wing than their elder counterparts.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. If the response to young Republicans moderating is for young "super liberal" democrats to sprint towards the left a la the Tea Party, then gridlock is going to be even more heavily entrenched, not alleviated.

Compromise is a good thing, folks.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I think it might have something to do with the shift to the right that we've seen in the past few decades, so what we consider to be super left right now is not, in the grand scheme of things, super left.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

No, the entire point of the article was that young republicans are more moderate than their elder counterparts.

And that's great! And you'd have a story about the end of gridlock if you also found that younger democrats were less ideological, less radical and less left wing than their elder counterparts.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. If the response to young Republicans moderating is for young "super liberal" democrats to sprint towards the left a la the Tea Party, then gridlock is going to be even more heavily entrenched, not alleviated.

That's not how congressional dynamics work. A more moderate, less ideologically rigid party is going to be much more likely to agree to compromise with a more radical opposing party. In real world terms, a more moderate congressional GOP is going to make more and more progressive legislation possible.

I mean it's going to depend on the moderation going hand in hand with less ideological rigidity but that's usually taken as a given. It's the rigidity that's the problem, not necessarily where the overton window is.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 7, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

Most reporters are going to honor good faith off the record/background requests, because once it gets around that you burned someone like that, no one is going to talk to you.

If they're like "Off the record, I gently caress prostitutes" yeah, that's a story, but if they're like "off the record, senator X is a huge dickhead" they aren't going to write that up.

yeah. its sort of a convention of the trade. the problem with a lot of modern, particularly political journalists, is their propensity to print stories where the only thing they have are "anonymous sources" which is basically an "well, off the record, X candidate was loving pissed at [insert]"

it's really bad journalism

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

zoux posted:

That's not how congressional dynamics work. A more moderate, less ideologically rigid party is going to be much more likely to agree to compromise with a more radical opposing party. In real world terms, a more moderate congressional GOP is going to make more and more progressive legislation possible.

I mean it's going to depend on the moderation going hand in hand with less ideological rigidity but that's usually taken as a given.

Yes, I agree with you that moderate parties are likely to agree to compromise with a radical opposing party. However, you just need to look in YCS or even in this thread to find people who abhor the thought of compromise with the Republican Party. Just look at Sanders (not cheerleading for or against here) as am example of the way in which many young Democrats are expressing their dissatisfaction with what they perceive to be an overly conciliatory and right wing Democratic Party.

I want to see two moderate parties who can cooperate with one another. I don't want to see more radical politics, even if I happen to like the direction they might be going with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
I mean what exaclty does the "Radical Left" want in this country anyway? A 4-5% rise in effective tax rates up to 1970 levels to fund a universal health care scheme, green energy, and reduced fee higher ed?

Versus "repeal Social Security and the 14th Amendment"? One's beneficial to society, one's not.

• Locked thread