Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

guts and bolts posted:

You say this like I don't know that already, when you're really missing my point. I'll summarize it.

1) Rogue One being good or bad has nothing to do with how many spaceships appear or do not appear during its runtime, which will hopefully come in below the 180min mark.
2) Rogue One is a bad title for your movie aimed at nerds if it has nothing to do with what nerds will associate with that title.

Zam, we did it boys

I think people are overestimating how automatic Rogue One's success is likely to be. TFA made all the dollars in the First World because it had a huge amount of hype, a well-known director attached, a marketing machine that was just unrelenting, smartly executed casting, and was a main-line Star Wars movie. Rogue One, if your assumption is true (gently caress nerds/fans, we're after that moms-with-kids demo that raked in the :bux: for TFA), is basically counting on the fact that the same demographics that turned out for The Force Awakens will feel obligated to go see everything that has Star Wars in the title somewhere, which isn't as rock-solid to me. My step-mom's reaction to Rogue One was literally "who cares?" and mild irritation. She doesn't speak for everyone, obviously, but the smart play would seem, on its surface, that if you're going to choose a name from either the EU or the video games or from ESB, you'd have a reason why? Like if you're not chasing nerds with the loaded title why did you name it Rogue anything at all? Why not GHOST ONE or CHEWIE'S ELEVEN or THE BIG PAYBACK IN PAZAAK or whatever, you get my drift

I'm not arguing against these points. But you keep saying "THEY SHOULD KNOOOOWWW". Well, yeah, maybe they should, but I'll bet republic credits that they just don't. As a turbonerd that watches TV and movies I got used to this back when Firefly was canceled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Finster Dexter posted:

I agree whole-heartedly.

There is that leaked photo that was linked above of the black and white x-wing crash. So, hopefully that's more than just a background set piece.

Yeah, plus the first teaser image had them in a hangar. Random Link

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

The Gate posted:

TBQH, I'm glad that there's no old canon for directors to have to remember and work around. For every Rogue Squadron or Thrawn trilogy, there's three Darksabers or those awful Lando The Early Years novels. That leaves them the ability to throw in a nod here and there, or bring back a character/story, without having to "do it right" or piss off people who dislike how they changed a story. It's good.

That said, I kind of hope we see these dudes fly some Headhunters or Y-Wings at some point in Rogue One.

I have very little history with the EU of Star Wars - books and comics especially, I've played a ton of the video games - and I think that basing movies or whatever on those works could likely be a mistake, given how bad a lot of that content seems to be and how poorly it's been received. (You're not the first person to say the Thrawn books were good, but I couldn't finish even one.) I should be clear that I'm not hoping Rogue One is some kind of adaptation of the Rogue Squadron books, just that it feels like an incredibly bizarre choice for your movie title if you're not going to have the Rogues fly starfighters at all. It's weird! Clearly a lot of people attach Rogue to X-Wings or whatever, because you said it yourself - the widespread assumption was that this will be a movie about starships, and what we got in the trailer (admittedly very little) would suggest it totally isn't, plus what's been said about how it's more of a heist movie than anything else.

But anyone familiar with branding knows that often, even if you've made something good, if it was something that the audience didn't go in wanting to see, you'll suffer for it. "I came in hoping to get <X> and got <Y> instead" is a summation made distinctly from "well, was <Y> any good?" and is usually a net negative. It's especially true in movies and video games, in my personal experience.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Yeah, looks like they're hanging out on Yavin 4.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Finster Dexter posted:

I'm not arguing against these points. But you keep saying "THEY SHOULD KNOOOOWWW". Well, yeah, maybe they should, but I'll bet republic credits that they just don't. As a turbonerd that watches TV and movies I got used to this back when Firefly was canceled.

But I mean.. they do know. Otherwise why would they have called their movie "Rogue" anything? So they know enough to know that "Rogue Squadron" is a thing in the Star Wars universe and sounds cool and will maybe rope in some geeks, but know literally nothing about what Rogue Squadron is (a starfighter group/callsign)? That's an incredibly narrow niche to have hit, right? You'd either know about it or not, I'd figure

Anyway the derail is real, I'll drop it, I'm just saying it strikes me as bizarre that you'd know that Rogue is a thing in Star Wars but you wouldn't know why or how, then name your movie that and just do whatever, since "Rogue One" isn't some kind of self-indicative title - your successful lawyer brother isn't going to know what "Rogue" anything means for a Star Wars movie and won't give a gently caress, so why would you even pick that name for your movie

On the other hand, I don't think a movie about commandos and war would itself be a bad thing, but I don't think that's what Rogue One is, either, given the way it's been framed by its producers and such - it's essentially been billed as a heist movie about the theft of the Death Star plans, or whatever. That movie could also be a good movie. I hope it's a good movie! :v:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I'd bet the Rogue Squadron games sold better than literally any Rogue/Wraith Squadron book. There aren't enough people who were hoping for a Rogue Squadron movie to even make a noticeable dent in profits or reviews.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

guts and bolts posted:

But anyone familiar with branding knows that often, even if you've made something good, if it was something that the audience didn't go in wanting to see, you'll suffer for it. "I came in hoping to get <X> and got <Y> instead" is a summation made distinctly from "well, was <Y> any good?" and is usually a net negative. It's especially true in movies and video games, in my personal experience.

Yeah, I mean tbh none of the Star Wars novels are actual good books. They're pulp sci-fi, and some of them are good for that metric and have a good overall plot which would be cool to see in a movie (and probably executed much much better that way). It's sort of like how there's a bunch of "good" Warhammer 40k novels, that aren't actually very amazing outside of the fact that they're set in 40k. Or Battletech, etc.

You do have a good point there, expectations versus reality being disappointing can really hurt a movie (or game/show/whatever). OTOH, they're just starting to show this off, and they seem to be avoiding trying to play up space battles, so I think most SW nerds will go in knowing what to expect, more or less, by the time it actually comes out.

If they'd really reinforced the Rogue name in the trailer, shown a guy flying an X-Wing, and maybe had a not-Wedge in the background, and then the movies got no X-Wings or space battles I could see people being upset.

Edit: what I really want this movie to be is Star Wars: the Dirty Dozen, and we might just get.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'd bet the Rogue Squadron games sold better than literally any Rogue/Wraith Squadron book. There aren't enough people who were hoping for a Rogue Squadron movie to even make a noticeable dent in profits or reviews.

This was actually my larger point, though, because that's mostly what I'm referencing when I talk about Rogue Squadron - the N64 and Gamecube games that are 100% dog-fighters that I loved as a kid. I'm pretty sure Level 5 as a studio pretty much only exists for those games and their success, which was maybe better than modest? Sales for game titles are so hard to pin down precisely it's irritating, but whatever.

X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter: A Star Wars Story which is about the development and prototyping process behind new starfighter proposals being voted on by the Empire's DoD, and the desk jockeys and marketing execs struggling to make their firm the one that gets all the credits. Go INCOM boys

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

guts and bolts posted:

X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter: A Star Wars Story which is about the development and prototyping process behind new starfighter proposals being voted on by the Empire's DoD, and the desk jockeys and marketing execs struggling to make their firm the one that gets all the credits. Go INCOM boys

"So in summation, what we have is a space superiority fighter without any shields, a reconnaissance ship without a hyperdrive, and a ground attack ship with only two light lasers."

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

General Battuta posted:

"So in summation, what we have is a space superiority fighter without any shields, a reconnaissance ship without a hyperdrive, and a ground attack ship with only two light lasers."

"But are they cheap"

"... yes?"

"Well, boys, you've got yourselves a contract"

whooping and hollering from the Seinar crew, the Incom project lead fights tears in his eyes and makes a furtive holo-phone call to his friend Mon Mothma

"Mon? We need to talk, looks like my schedule's just been cleared"

X-Wing Alliance: A Star Wars Story, which is about haggling down the price for which Incom will sell the Alliance their X-Wings

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Gate posted:

Edit: shiiiiit does anyone else remember the really really really bad kids books from the 90's? The plots revolved around the Emperors' son having a literal third eye, and there was a fake son running the Empire with these implants that let him fake shooting Sith lightning but the real son wasn't evil or something and *his* third eye was in the back of his head oh god why do I remember this

You're joking right? Those were the best books.

General Battuta posted:

"So in summation, what we have is a space superiority fighter without any shields"

Excuse me, the starfighters with the highest kill-to-loss ratio in the Clone Wars were the Delta-7 and Eta-2, and neither of them had shields and hyperdrives. Clearly the concept is solid.:smuggo:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 7, 2016

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Please look forward to my upcoming sci-fi reggae album

"Hey, Mon"

Thank you.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

guts and bolts posted:

"But are they cheap"

"... yes?"

whooping and hollering from the Seinar crew, the Incom project lead fights tears in his eyes and makes a furtive holo-phone call to his friend Mon Mothma

X-Wing Alliance: A Star Wars Story, which is about haggling down the price for which Incom will sell the Alliance their X-Wings

I'm sold.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

guts and bolts posted:

"But are they cheap"

"... yes?"

"Look, there's only a forwards facing window, so we're not responsible for anything that happens flying in trenches, asteroid fields or tunnels in space stations."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Talking about something that isn't Star Wars movies and/or the EU for a moment:

Panzeh posted:

Also all you guys voting, i just want to warn you the scyk isn't an interesting bad ship. It's actually really boring. It's like a pricier tie fighter.

To me this is kind of the point for two reasons, one being that ultimately for me the goal is less "haha gently caress those players and make them suffer" and more to shine a spotlight on underused ships to maybe hopefully light a fire under FFG to revisit them. This thread has optimistically theorized that we'll see some sort of Scum Vets pack but there's no indication so far that FFG is interested in revisiting the Scyk or the Starviper or the Kihraxz. The other reason is there aren't really any "interestingly bad" Scum ships at the moment imo. HWKs will just be, as you said, splashed as TLT/Dengar platforms. Kihraxz are just X-Wings with a 1-hard turn instead of a 3-hard and no exciting pilot abilities, so you'll probably see either 5 K-fighter lists or a token Black Sun Ace with Crack Shot or something.

I'd be fine with Starvipers since they're the other Scum ship I'd like to see get some love, but that's about it really.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Kai Tave posted:

This thread has optimistically theorized that we'll see some sort of Scum Vets pack but there's no indication so far that FFG is interested in revisiting the Scyk or the Starviper or the Kihraxz.

Alex Davies has mentioned those ships specifically in a couple of interviews (most recently after Worlds) when asked about underperforming ships, along with the X-Wing, the Defender, and the Bomber. Since we're seeing adjustments. It's a lot more than just wishful thinking, since we're seeing them buff the other ships mentioned. I'd be pretty shocked if we don't see a Most Wanted Veterans or something this year.

You're my loving hero!!

I'm the guy with earrings shaped like blasters who is somehow an Imperial officer and not a Hot Topic employee.

Edit: also enjoy Definitely Not Stalin in the front left.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 7, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I wasn't aware that he'd called those ships out by name, that's good to hear. I mean I'm sure they're aware of it, I just wasn't sure how that correlated with "likelihood that we're going to see a new Scum two-pack."

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

General Battuta posted:

LOL not sure if anyone else caught this reference...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Kai Tave posted:

I wasn't aware that he'd called those ships out by name, that's good to hear. I mean I'm sure they're aware of it, I just wasn't sure how that correlated with "likelihood that we're going to see a new Scum two-pack."

"X Wing Miniatures Expansion: Even More Wanted-er"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Scum 2: Scum Harder

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

guts and bolts posted:

This was actually my larger point, though, because that's mostly what I'm referencing when I talk about Rogue Squadron - the N64 and Gamecube games that are 100% dog-fighters that I loved as a kid. I'm pretty sure Level 5 as a studio pretty much only exists for those games and their success, which was maybe better than modest? Sales for game titles are so hard to pin down precisely it's irritating, but whatever.

Rogue Squadron 3 was in 2003, the vast majority of people who care about the film probably won't remember the series. I loving loved those games to FWIW.

E:

guts and bolts posted:

"But are they cheap"

"... yes?"

I would watch this all day.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 7, 2016

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
You guys are getting awful salty about Disney not pulling a Batman vs Superman and putting the whole drat film in a teaser trailer.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
If nothing else the sequel might end up getting called Rogue Squadron with a bigger emphasis on fighter combat, since if nothing else there's no other potential sequel name for Rouge One that doesn't sound dumb as hell.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

So the local painter who I commissioned to do a Black T-70 just posted a repainted K-wing for the upcoming Cancer benefit tournament.

https://imgur.com/a/GFai5

This guys work makes me smile, drat son I want one

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If nothing else the sequel might end up getting called Rogue Squadron with a bigger emphasis on fighter combat, since if nothing else there's no other potential sequel name for Rouge One that doesn't sound dumb as hell.

The sequel is called Untitled Han Solo project.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Rogue One: Two

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
2 Rogue 2 Rebellious

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Kai Tave posted:

2 Rogue 2 Rebellious

I stand corrected.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Kai Tave posted:

2 Rogue 2 Rebellious

:getin:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

"This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel" is pretty awful, even for a pulp sci-fi story, and apparently the team behind Rogue One is on record saying it'll be a "darker" narrative, so I'm still in :ohdear: mode

Already the speculation is that Rey and Jyn are related (daughter/mother) because "they can both handle themselves in a fight"/"are badass" :lol:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Yeah, the Rey/Jyn speculation is pretty stupid, imo. If that actually turns out to be true, I'll be so mad... well I... I probably won't buy the blu-ray, so there!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

guts and bolts posted:

"This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel" is pretty awful, even for a pulp sci-fi story, and apparently the team behind Rogue One is on record saying it'll be a "darker" narrative, so I'm still in :ohdear: mode

Already the speculation is that Rey and Jyn are related (daughter/mother) because "they can both handle themselves in a fight"/"are badass" :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5d5jxJ5vbM

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kai Tave posted:

2 Rogue 2 Rebellious

Holy poo poo.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
In these Star Wars, everyone is related.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Devlan Mud posted:

In these Star Wars, everyone is related.

By the same logic connecting Jyn to Rey, doesn't that have to make Finn Lando's kid?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

If we aren't going to see a Sentinel model for X-wing, maybe that 4-winged shuttle we see being blown up will make it in.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

I really like that "I rebel" exchange and line from her. It's her basically saying, "what else do you expect me to loving do?"

In regard to this being a darker narrative, well, yeah, you just know a lot of the team she hooks up with are going to either get straight up ganked by the Empire or will ultimately sacrifice themselves to get the Death Star plans to the Rebellion.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

AndyElusive posted:

I really like that "I rebel" exchange and line from her. It's her basically saying, "what else do you expect me to loving do?"

In regard to this being a darker narrative, well, yeah, you just know a lot of the team she hooks up with are going to either get straight up ganked by the Empire or will ultimately sacrifice themselves to get the Death Star plans to the Rebellion.

I didn't see any Bothan spies in there, did you

In all honesty though my concerns are that we get a poorly-drawn stereotype as the main character and then a bunch of faceless nobodies to pad out the cast, and then Nolan-esque gritty narrative motion, and then most of them die. That doesn't sound like a fun pulp space adventure to me. :( It's way too premature to gather all of that from just the trailer, but the surrounding information that we have available to inform one's hype points in a direction that sorta dulls the edge for me? Like Godzilla was okay, spectacle was good, characters were awful and the protagonist was a poorly-drawn stereotype (exception made for Bryan Cranston, who's in the movie for 20min and then dies); I just hope it's not "effects-driven and grim wars in the stars" is all.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

guts and bolts posted:

I didn't see any Bothan spies in there, did you

No, because this isn't an adaptation of Shadows of the Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

AndyElusive posted:

Yeah, I don't think you get to tangle with Vader and live if your name isn't Skywalker. I mean, Ren in Episode 7 just walked over Finn no problem, and he at least had a weapon capable of blocking the saber. Vader pre-ANH is going to make Ren look like a clown :ohdear:

• Locked thread