Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

I said come in! posted:

The making of documentary confirmed there are even other female stormtroopers besides Captain Phasma.

Well there was also a speaking female stormtrooper in the movie itself besides Phasma... And a woman in the control room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Well, the Republic and the First Order being in a technical state of peace is the first time we've had two major galactic powers not at war by default.

Rey is the first person we see come into overt force power use without some manner of formal teaching.

Finn is the first on-screen defector from the bad guy side.

Maz is the first live-action film unaffiliated force user.

Rey's repeated desire to go home to Jakku is in stark contrast to Luke and Anakin's desire to leave.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I said come in! posted:

TFA is about Rey and Finn.

Yes, and it spends so much time on Han Solo, Leia Organa, Luke Skywalker, and a Death Star because

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

homullus posted:

Yes, and it spends so much time on Han Solo, Leia Organa, Luke Skywalker, and a Death Star because

There is no Death Star in TFA, and a film has more than its main characters in it

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

kiimo posted:

Did anyone stop for a second to ask why spinning blades would lift you up?

Monovsky Particles.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

kiimo posted:

Did anyone stop for a second to ask why spinning blades would lift you up?

Repulsorlifts, like I said.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

jivjov posted:

There is no Death Star in TFA

Dude, I am begging you from the bottom of my heart not to go down this path. Please. I like TFA man, I'm like, on your side, but please man, it was a death star.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Look if you ignore all of the substantive differences it really is just the same movie.

Serf
May 5, 2011

homullus posted:

To be fair, the Death Star in this one was pretty rad. As far as Death Stars go, I was onboard for this one.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

"tfa is just like new hope" is such a weird argument, especially if you're a prequel fan since the phantom menace cribbed from new hope several times

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dexo posted:

So this dude is gonna betray everyone right?

Oh hell yeah.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Slugworth posted:

Dude, I am begging you from the bottom of my heart not to go down this path. Please. I like TFA man, I'm like, on your side, but please man, it was a death star.

It was an imperial-style super weapon with similarities to the Death Stars. But it was explicitly, textually, not a Death Star.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

jivjov posted:

It was an imperial-style super weapon with similarities to the Death Stars. But it was explicitly, textually, not a Death Star.

drat your eyes

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

Well, the Republic and the First Order being in a technical state of peace is the first time we've had two major galactic powers not at war by default.

Rey is the first person we see come into overt force power use without some manner of formal teaching.

Finn is the first on-screen defector from the bad guy side.

Maz is the first live-action film unaffiliated force user.

Rey's repeated desire to go home to Jakku is in stark contrast to Luke and Anakin's desire to leave.

First, AOTC already had two major powers not at war.

Second, these ideas are all pretty paltry because none of them have real impact. How does Rey using superpowers without training "complicate or expand the story of Star Wars"?

jivjov posted:

There is no Death Star in TFA, and a film has more than its main characters in it

Starkiller is Death Star because it fulfils the exact same role and function in the story.

Serf
May 5, 2011

jivjov posted:

If it looks like a Death Star, walks like a Death Star and sounds like a Death Star... it's probably a Death Star.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

The making of documentary confirmed there are even other female stormtroopers besides Captain Phasma.

One of the stormtroopers that reports to Kylo is a girl! She talks.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

First, AOTC already had two major powers not at war.

Second, these ideas are all pretty paltry because none of them have real impact. How does Rey using superpowers without training "complicate or expand the story of Star Wars"?

Starkiller is Death Star.

Aren't the Separatists and the republic having hostile interactions from day 1?

And no, Starkiller Base is not a Death Star. Someone explicitly spells that out in dialog for you in the film itself. That's not even EU material. That is pure film text.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Serf posted:

If it looks like a Death Star, walks like a Death Star and sounds like a Death Star... it's probably a Death Star.

It actually looks like a planet with a gigantic super weapon built into it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

planet ... gigantic super weapon

Death Star

(It actually is a really cool design though. Very neat Death Star.)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Dexo posted:

Or he's the leader with many people in complex orbits around him.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

I said come in! posted:

The Force Awakens is about two people who had no one, discovering friendship and loyalty for the first time. Everything else is secondary. I can see how human emotion is foreign to some of you because the most you've experienced it is reading about it out of a textbook.

lol check this guy out

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

Aren't the Separatists and the republic having hostile interactions from day 1?

The movie is about a war breaks out between them. So no.

quote:

And no, Starkiller Base is not a Death Star. Someone explicitly spells that out in dialog for you in the film itself. That's not even EU material. That is pure film text.

You're not really thinking this through: if Starkiller was replaced by Death Star, how would the story change?

Well, there would be different sets for scenes, and its destruction would have to be slower than in previous movies.

It's Death Star.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I said come in! posted:

It actually looks like a planet with a gigantic super weapon built into it.

Exactly. The Death Stars are wholly artificial constructions, capable of firing at one target at a time. The Starkiller Base was built into a planet and could target multiple things. similar to Death Stars? Sure. But not the same thing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

When you think about it the "Death Star" isn't even a star. It's more like a moon.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

euphronius posted:

Millennial diversity tokenism does not make a sequel great!

Having diversity across all the new characters (by using actors who were good) is tokenism because... uh... :iiam:

Serf
May 5, 2011

euphronius posted:

When you think about it the "Death Star" isn't even a star. It's more like a moon.

Laser Moon

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Having diversity across all the new characters (by using actors who were good) is tokenism because... uh... :iiam:

I'm making fun of that viewpoint not adopting it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You're not really thinking this through: if Starkiller was replaced by Death Star, how would the story change?

This doesn't matter. You're bringing up completely pointless questions for no reason at all.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

euphronius posted:

I'm making fun of that viewpoint not adopting it.

I know, I was just making further fun of it. :v:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Is this the right thread to discuss The Rogue One trailer? Because I'm more hyped about that than episode 8

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

euphronius posted:

Textually we are told very implicitly that it's no moon.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Dexo posted:

or he gets blown up

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

euphronius posted:

A black storm trooper who is a main speaking character?

Recycled, ham handed , bantha doo doo!!

The problem is that you are looking at particulars rather than the actual message of the film. Star Wars has always adressed issues of racism and sexism. It's like saying BB8 is new because he's not a cylinder.

The novelty here would be to say all the Stromtroopers are human, and we must unite with them in shared struggle. But TFA pays lip service to this concept, and we're left with a repeat of the prequels' battle droids.

TFA is fundamentally a synthesis of the previous two trilogies. The lessons of the prequels haunt the film: the Jedi were wrong, the Republic is bad, Vader is the true incarnation of God, etc. But nothing is produced through this synthesis.

The novelty would be to say that Kylo is the (flawed) hero taking up Vader's cause - but the film barely touches this concept either. It places all emphasis on Kylo's human flaws, repeating Anakin's characterization from the prequels.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Death Star is a space station. It can't be a moon because it's not orbiting anything. Is it a satellite or does it have to orbit something? Probably not cause we have satellites that don't orbit anything.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Monovsky Particles.

Victory Gundam had its moments.

Star Wars could do with a Motorrad fleet, if you ask me.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The movie is about a war breaks out between them. So no.

Well, there would be different sets for scenes, and its destruction would have to be slower than in previous movies.

It's Death Star.

jivjov posted:

Exactly. The Death Stars are wholly artificial constructions, capable of firing at one target at a time. The Starkiller Base was built into a planet and could target multiple things. similar to Death Stars? Sure. But not the same thing.

In the end, the Empire's most powerful weapon was a cyclical argument started between an rear end in a top hat and a pedant

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 7, 2016

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

TheKingofSprings posted:

In the end, the Empire's most powerful weapon was a cyclical argument started between an rear end in a top hat and a pedant

Hey now...

They're both pedants.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

korusan posted:

or he gets blown up

Holy poo poo, is this Biggs? That could be the best thing that ever bested.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Since eveyone is talking about Death Stars, what would happen to Star Killer when it ran out of sun juice? Can you drive it to another sun to fuel up? Can you drive a planet? Is it just dead after they run out of sun juice after charging twice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Technically the recoil from the blast should have ejected the base from the Galaxy at near light speed.

• Locked thread