Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

GorfZaplen posted:

Windows doesn't really go into the details of the game much. I watched the entire first season and I can't really say what rules the game has. The ani.e is more about the dark magic surrounding the game itself and the young women who get caught up it.

The LRIG has the wrong kind of RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Van Dine posted:

I like Selector Infected WIXOSS. It's an anime/card game selling franchise. I can't say it makes me want to buy their merchandise, but the anime is worth watching.

I saw a few chapters of this up on kissmanga, it seems like lesbians with living cards that are also lesbians, possibly for their players????

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

I saw a few chapters of this up on kissmanga, it seems like lesbians with living cards that are also lesbians, possibly for their players????

Looks as if you'll have seen some of the spin-off manga which feature different characters and plotlines from the anime series. I haven't read them other than a quick glance, but I'd warrant a guess that they feature more lesbians than the anime (though the anime does have some lesbians). But yeah, the general premise is players with living cards.

There was an ADTRW thread about it, but it didn't get very big. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3628494

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
There have been a lot of fantasy anime series released in the past couple years. Yona, Arslan, Rokka, Snow White, and probably more I'm forgetting. Did any of them turn out to be great, must-watch shows for fantasy fans?

For reference, Twelve Kingdoms is near the top of my list of favorite anime (new novel this year hype), and I really enjoyed Moribito as well.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TheEye posted:

There have been a lot of fantasy anime series released in the past couple years. Yona, Arslan, Rokka, Snow White, and probably more I'm forgetting. Did any of them turn out to be great, must-watch shows for fantasy fans?

For reference, Twelve Kingdoms is near the top of my list of favorite anime (new novel this year hype), and I really enjoyed Moribito as well.

Snow White isn't really a fantasy show but it is fantastic.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TheEye posted:

Watch Yona, then. From what I've heard, it will scratch your itch with surgical precision.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yona is really good although kinda just a long ad for the also really good manga. Snow White is very cute but there isn't really much of a serialized fantasy plot, it's just romance in a sorta fantasy setting (there isnt any magic or anything, it's a mostly European pastiche). Rokka is good but has a bad ending.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you didnt' mention chaika, and while i don't think its some must see classic its a very enjoyable fantasy romp

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Are there ever bad series with a good ending? (aside from a swift one)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Davincie posted:

you didnt' mention chaika, and while i don't think its some must see classic its a very enjoyable fantasy romp

Worth watching just for the moe chestburster

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

HenryEx posted:

School Days

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

Yona is really good although kinda just a long ad for the also really good manga.

Ok, guess I'll watch that or just go straight to the manga.

Davincie posted:

Ah right, that was one of the ones I forgot. Did it end with the second season?

I'll admit I'm less looking for things to watch than wanting to make sure I don't miss something great, but I might check it out due to the number of fans I've seen around here.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DamnGlitch posted:

School Days

drat, glitch.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Just wanted to thank this thread for pushing me to watch Gundam X. 4 eps in and I think it's quite good. It's not quite as...fast-paced as other Gundam series are, but that's fine. It's going to be as hard as Turn A was for remembering all the names, though.

EDIT: I love how continuity-minded it is even if it isn't in the UC. It's the first non-UC show I've seen that references Newtypes, uses the original colony design, and even keeps the "Mobile Suit = giant humanoid robot, Mobile Armor = giant non-humanoid robot" distinction.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 10, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Just wanted to thank this thread for pushing me to watch Gundam X. 4 eps in and I think it's quite good. It's not quite as...fast-paced as other Gundam series are, but that's fine. It's going to be as hard as Turn A was for remembering all the names, though.

EDIT: I love how continuity-minded it is even if it isn't in the UC. It's the first non-UC show I've seen that references Newtypes, uses the original colony design, and even keeps the "Mobile Suit = giant humanoid robot, Mobile Armor = giant non-humanoid robot" distinction.

It's pretty obviously meant to be a what-if scenario of a worst-case One Year War scenario, so the shared terminology and designs are in service to that. All gundam keep the Suit/Armor distinction though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

HenryEx posted:

Also, Blood-C

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm looking for a fantasy show that has a witch girl with short hair and glasses. I swear I've seen it somewhere before, in passing (either that or that character archetype is rather popular).

I don't think it was the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, though.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

I'm looking for a fantasy show that has a witch girl with short hair and glasses. I swear I've seen it somewhere before, in passing (either that or that character archetype is rather popular).

Witch Hunter Robin maybe?

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Are there any series on Netflix that folks would highly recommend? (I've seen & enjoyed Madoka, TTGL, and Kill la Kill already.) Any mecha series, in particular.

For that matter, are there many "medieval-ish" mecha shows out there (not necessarily on Netflix) other than Escaflowne? I have the vague inklings of an RPG setting involving giant suits of armor smashing each other with swords, and I'm looking for inspiration.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What was that one with the kid and the girl who piloted a like Big Daddy-style mech suit, aqua knight? Might be your jam. I remember reading a few individual issues of that from the 25 cent bin at my old comic shop back in the day and it seemed neat, set in a largely aquatic world iirc.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ghost of Starman posted:

Are there any series on Netflix that folks would highly recommend? (I've seen & enjoyed Madoka, TTGL, and Kill la Kill already.) Any mecha series, in particular.

For that matter, are there many "medieval-ish" mecha shows out there (not necessarily on Netflix) other than Escaflowne? I have the vague inklings of an RPG setting involving giant suits of armor smashing each other with swords, and I'm looking for inspiration.

Netflix announced that they will be streaming the brand new mecha series Kuromukuro, but haven't specified a date for it yet. Apparently Netflix.jp has already aired two episodes (with English subs, no less), so that might be worth keeping an eye out for when they do get around to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHkCNXjh3sI

There's a new thread for it too, if you want to give that a look.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Knights of Sidonia is mech-ish. I've only watched the first couple of episodes but it seems pretty well done.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ghost of Starman posted:

Panzer World Galient and Aura Battler Dunbine are fantasy mecha anime, both were inspirations for Escaflowne.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ghost of Starman posted:

Oh I forgot, it ain't really all that amazing, but Expelled From Paradise is a mecha movie and is on Netflix.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been recommended March Comes In Like a Lion on numerous occasions with it described as a drama/romance/SoL series, but have only reached it in my queue now. I just read the first chapter and the notes at the end mention it's a shogi manga, which nobody has mentioned prior. Is this going to be a chihayafuru situation where I can't give a single poo poo about the card thing and stop reading/watching it, or does it take a big back seat to literally anything else

I think the only "sports" series I've ever stuck with is amanchu, and that's only because ocean diving rules and it's just about the most chill series ever, everything else I cannot be arsed with

Would just like to know about that part before going further is all

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

the grimgar show from last season? it was bad, but really well animated

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

the grimgar show from last season? it was bad, but really well animated

???????? The opposite actually?

It was really good but rife with animation errors . The fights were well choreographed and the backgrounds were gorgeous paintings but I don't think the animation itself was much to speak of.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ignore the GBS troll

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

I've been recommended March Comes In Like a Lion on numerous occasions with it described as a drama/romance/SoL series, but have only reached it in my queue now. I just read the first chapter and the notes at the end mention it's a shogi manga, which nobody has mentioned prior. Is this going to be a chihayafuru situation where I can't give a single poo poo about the card thing and stop reading/watching it, or does it take a big back seat to literally anything else

I think the only "sports" series I've ever stuck with is amanchu, and that's only because ocean diving rules and it's just about the most chill series ever, everything else I cannot be arsed with

Would just like to know about that part before going further is all
By a large margin I think the big takeaway with March Comes In Like a Lion is the psychological issues/introspection of the main character and the various aspects of family drama associated with both himself and the other characters. To this end I think the sport of shogi matters less in this work than how much karuta matters in Chihayafuru. Whether he wins or loses is largely immaterial, it's more often than not used as a framing device. But that said it will come up frequently enough and obviously it's how many of the characters interact with each other; it would be immensely tragic if that alone is enough to make you not want to read it but it's not going to go away. Did you watch/read My Lie in April? It's largely similar in structure/tone to that (though I would contend orders of magnitude better), just with shogi instead of playing the piano.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nah, I've heard the name but never checked it out.

I'll go a bit further with Lion and see how I feel about it after six or so chapters then.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't know how far into it she shows up, but you should at least read to where his step-sister shows up in the present because everything about their relationship is super concentrated :smith:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i prefer to compare sangatsu with shigatsu, because they are both about talented prodigies who have lost family and been forced to become independent. but while sangatsu's MC stews in his own misery for a while offpanel, the audience (and so the MC by narrative conservation) very quickly learns that everyone suffers, spurring him on to take initiative to reform his relationships with other human beings

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What I really like about Lion is that it doesn't sugar coat any of the trauma or take any shortcuts to resolving it with either the MC or the associated characters. My Lie in April had a bit of an unsettling undercurrent of victim blaming, hoisting a degree of "Just get over it, man!" on the MC that often felt unwarranted or at best just rather clumsily handled. In Lion it's shown that things are hosed and while they are and can get better, there is no easy solution or eye-opening revelation that will hit a switch and make everything OK.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm looking for anime made in the last year that'll make me cry of happiness/heartwarming.

I have cried after watching:
- Azumanga Daioh
- Clannad
- CCS (the episode where Sakura breaks her dad's things :negative:)
- Kimi ni Todoke (the fight and reconciliation with her friends :3:)
- Usagi Drop
- My Love Story!!
- Shirobako
- Non Non Biyori (it was almost too chill though)
- Etc

Most recent one:
- Erased

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

have you seen barakamon?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

gmq posted:

I'm looking for anime made in the last year that'll make me cry of happiness/heartwarming.

- Azumanga Daioh
- Clannad
- Usagi Drop
- My Love Story!!
- Shirobako
- Etc

Most recent one:
- Erased

It's a bit older (2011?) but Iroha is really good, slice of life / sometimes heartwrenching show by the same studio that did Shirobako

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Idolmaster: Cinderella Girls if you don't mind idols.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

gmq posted:

- Azumanga Daioh
- Clannad
- Usagi Drop
- My Love Story!!
- Shirobako
- Etc

Most recent one:
- Erased

Hmm, Haikyuu has made me cry. The team rallying around each other and coming together in the middle of some very exciting and intense volleyball can be extremely touching. Chihayafuru as well, for kinda the same reason, this weird poetry game is sooo important to these teens, it's really emotional when things happen.

The third season of YuruYuri has some really heartwarming episodes in it too

e. Oh, didn't see the 'last year' part, oh well :sweatdrop:

Ah! Just in case you missed it, NNB got a second season. It's really wonderful and often very touching too

Knorth fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 19, 2016

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū is what you need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

gmq posted:

- Azumanga Daioh
- Clannad
- Usagi Drop
- My Love Story!!
- Shirobako
- Etc

Most recent one:
- Erased

Not last year, but The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.