Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

euphronius posted:

Empire strikes back, attack of the clones.

the phantom menace, revenge of the sith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zoran posted:

the phantom menace, revenge of the sith

The jedi were the bad guys in Rots and got hosed up.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

If it helps, the composer, Alexandre Desplat, has some experience taking over a series started by John Williams. He scored the final two Harry Potter movies. (And a bunch of other great scores, we'll be fine.)

Desplat is soooooo good

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

That trailer was great. Im excited

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerkface posted:

I don't see how TFA differs much from TPM in terms of being a contained story. You have Finn & Rey who find their 'family', the first order is dealt a serious defeat, Luke is found by the resistance. TPM doesnt tell us how Vader falls, how the Emperor eventually takes over the galaxy, or how the Jedi order is wiped out. We get Anakin being taken into training at the end, the defeat of a minor sith bad guy, and the resolution of a trade dispute. ANH is the most complete if only because the Empire is mostly represented in the Death Star and so its destruction is a good metaphor for the Rebellions victory over it. There is the mention of an 'Emperor', but because he has no real part in the movie we can assume the loss of the death star will lead to his downfall.

TPM is very self contained. There are references to works later on down the line, like Anakin becoming a Jedi and Palpatine becoming Supreme Chancellor, but the actual plot of the movie is basically resolved within the film.

TFA suffers because of its third act (with Starkiller), but even ignoring that there's not really that much resolved. Rey's problem at the beginning is that she can't let go of her past. At the end of the film, she travels to Luke, but depending on your interpretation it's either to return his lightsaber, or to train as a Jedi with him (which is heavily implied to be what her past is about). So basically the arc is about letting go of your past, except for your real past, which you should embrace.

Or take Finn. He's the other audience perspective/fish out of water type. His arc is basically realizing the Empire is lovely and defining what he actually wants to do. Except he kind of accomplishes that about midway through the movie (after Rey is kidnapped), so they didn't really know what else to do with him. He's placed in a coma at the end so they can separate him from Rey without nailing down his characterization. In Episode 8 he could decide to run after her or he could decide to go fight <First Order Thing>.

Kylo is interesting because it borrows a lot from Anakin, except basically as an inversion. Anakin was being tempted by an outside force while on the fence and fell to that temptation. Kylo was being tempted by an outside force (his father) and resisted the temptation. He reaffirmed his status quo position, which was "being evil".

berserker posted:

Uh did you respond to the right person? You quoted me when I was talking about the soundtracks...

Oh, I thought you meant film themes, not music themes.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

computer parts posted:

or to train as a Jedi with him (which is heavily implied to be what her past is about).

I would love to see the mental gymnastics that get you here.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Baronash posted:

He's her dad.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baronash posted:

She's heavily implied to be Luke's daughter (or at least the daughter of someone he knows), and force sensitivity is a genetic thing.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

computer parts posted:

She's heavily implied to be Luke's daughter (or at least the daughter of someone he knows), and force sensitivity is a genetic thing.

Midichlorians are canon

Amazing, amazing canon

Someone give me space AIDS so i can levitate things plz

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

AndyElusive posted:

The "I rebel" line rules. What the gently caress is wrong with you people. It's two words in response to accusations of being a miscreant. It was awesome. :colbert:

Yeah, I love how its both sarcastic and confident, with a touch of uncertainty in what she's doing while also being a badass.

Grey Fox posted:

Can we do droidchat for a bit? It looks like Alan Tudyk's character is going to be the droid seen in this shot:

...which looks like some kind of next-gen battle droid, judging by the curved head. I haven't watched any of Rebels yet--are there any new battle droids featured in it, or is this a new creation?

I don't recall their being any new battle droid designs in Rebels.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 8, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

hhhat posted:

Midichlorians are canon

Amazing, amazing canon

Sort of.

The only people who thought they were important are long dead.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Oh my god I'm going to miss my train hurry up hurry up.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

euphronius posted:

Sort of.

The only people who thought they were important are long dead.

Depends on your point of view

If i start watching Episode 1 they are very much alive

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Yaws posted:

Love the copy/paste background

Lucas just felt that those pillars were really loving important

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

computer parts posted:

TPM is very self contained. There are references to works later on down the line, like Anakin becoming a Jedi and Palpatine becoming Supreme Chancellor, but the actual plot of the movie is basically resolved within the film.

Those are huge things that are left hanging though. Imagine if there were no Star Wars films before or after TPM. All the time talking about Anakin being the Chose One would be a waste of time. It wouldn't have led anywhere.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TheKingofSprings posted:

Do you have the one where they're various kinds of Knuckles

E: Never mind I found it http://imgur.com/oN6DjXB

One of them's relevant even!

Sega no longer owns those characters because of the original "author" getting them in a contract dispute.

They're no longer... canon.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Those are huge things that are left hanging though. Imagine if there were no Star Wars films before or after TPM. All the time talking about Anakin being the Chose One would be a waste of time. It wouldn't have led anywhere.

It's left hanging in the same way that Darth Vader in ANH is left hanging. That guy killed basically all of Luke's family, either personally or on his orders, along with torturing the love interest and almost blowing up Luke himself. And at best, all you get in ANH is "maybe he died during the Death Star battle but he's still in a spaceship".

hhhat posted:

Midichlorians are canon

Amazing, amazing canon

I was thinking more ROTJ, but whatever.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The main villain who orchestrates the entire conflict gets away scott free in tpm...

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

AndyElusive posted:

The "I rebel" line rules. What the gently caress is wrong with you people. It's two words in response to accusations of being a miscreant. It was awesome. :colbert:

Are you serious? That line is awful.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
It's really difficult to tell if a movie will be good or bad just based on a trailer (except when it's really bad, then it's usually easy). I liked Gareth Edward's version of Godzilla well enough I suppose, but the trailer for that movie was leagues better than the actual product. I hope that's not the same case here.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Al Cowens posted:

Oh my god I'm going to miss my train hurry up hurry up.

https://twitter.com/LikChan/status/718091236901568513

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

computer parts posted:

It's left hanging in the same way that Darth Vader in ANH is left hanging. That guy killed basically all of Luke's family, either personally or on his orders, along with torturing the love interest and almost blowing up Luke himself. And at best, all you get in ANH is "maybe he died during the Death Star battle but he's still in a spaceship".

That's not the same though. Audiences very well could have surmised that Vader simply floated away and died. In TPM whole swathes of the movie would be rendered irrelevant if you didn't have the knowledge that Anakin would one day be Vader and the subsequent films expanding on that. The PT was about Anakins fall.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

cargohills posted:

For a teaser it perfect

You got her character in three syllables.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

cargohills posted:

It great, actually. For reasons I stated in a previous post.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

cargohills posted:

Cynicism poisoning. Nothing we can do, I'm afraid. Tragic.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

euphronius posted:

You got her character in three syllables.

Are those three syllables "is awful"?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

cargohills posted:

Are those three syllables "is awful"?

No.

"Mary Sue"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

cargohills posted:

Completely serious. I don't see what there is to hate about it so much.

This is a rebellion, isn't it? :shrug:

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

teagone posted:

It great, actually. For reasons I stated in a previous post.

teagone posted:

Yeah, I love how its both sarcastic and confident, with a touch of uncertainty in what she's doing while also being a badass.

I sure am looking forward to the never-before-seen character of "sarcastic confident badass". "A touch of uncertainty" is also such an interesting character flaw, Jyno Erso truly will be a modern day Hamlet.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

cargohills posted:

I sure am looking forward to the never-before-seen character of "sarcastic confident badass". "A touch of uncertainty" is also such an interesting character flaw, Jyno Erso truly will be a modern day Hamlet.

Glad I could convince you.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

cargohills posted:

what are you even expecting from a two minute trailer

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

"I rebel" owns. Also given a character background potential twist spoiler that she is the daughter of the guy building the death star, being both a rebel against the empire and against her own father is fun. It could be a simple character statement, just a pithy line, but I wonder if there will be at least some conflict in the film with someone like Mon Mothma wanting to work within the system to affect change vs someone like Jyn who is breaking rules & openly defying the system. Would be fun given the US' current political climate.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

computer parts posted:

She's heavily implied to be Luke's daughter

I like how you keep using the word "implied" to mean "in my personal interpretation supported by nothing"

Baronash fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 8, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baronash posted:

I like how you use the word "implied" to mean "in my personal interpretation supported by nothing"

The face of Star Wars will be a Skywalker, and she ain't Han & Leia's kid.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Whether they're biologically related or not, Rey will almost certainly begin to see Luke as a father figure in the upcoming films.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

romanowski posted:

what are you even expecting from a two minute trailer

I am replying to his quote about why he thinks the line is good.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

computer parts posted:

The face of Star Wars will be a Skywalker, and she ain't Han & Leia's kid.

Tell you what, I'll make this a slap bet. If Rey turns out to be Luke's daughter, I will post a video of me saying "Computer Parts is the world's greatest Star Wars detective" before getting slapped really loving hard.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Baronash posted:

I like how you use the word "implied" to mean "in my personal interpretation supported by nothing"

How about the matching iconography—her speeder that matches Luke's, or her pilot doll, or the Rebel helmet? Or echoing his lines, like declaring that the Falcon is garbage? Her preternatural flying skills, which even she doesn't quite believe? Getting a job offer from Han?

The Skywalker family lightsaber triggers visions—a mingling of Luke's past with her own. And at the climax of the film, the saber chooses her. She's pulling the sword from the stone because she's a more worthy heir than Kylo Ren.

Maz tells her that the people who left her on Jakku are never coming back, but there's someone who still could; Rey immediately thinks of Luke. When she's lying down at night, desperate to sleep, she thinks of an island just like the one Luke shows up on. It's not a dream of hers, it's a conscious thought that she clings to at night.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

cargohills posted:

I am replying to his quote about why he thinks the line is good.

it's really not as awful of a line as you seem to think it is but the way it's used in the trailer does feel kind of corny but also who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Darth Milennial is canon now?

• Locked thread