Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Kurzon posted:

He burns a huge pile of cash in the middle of the movie so I wonder just how he plans to make those payments, plus allocate funds for other things like guns and bombs and face paint.

I believe the Joker directly addresses this as he burns the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

net cafe scandal posted:

Yeah, he's moved past pretending to be an ordinary criminal at that point, since he's already got his asylum-escapees and is manipulating the gangs and Maroni's corrupt cops through fear.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The Joker: You see, I'm a guy of simple taste. I enjoy dynamite, and gunpowder, and gasoline!

[he pours gasoline on the mountain of cash]

The Chechen: [panicked] What the...?

The Joker: Ah-ta-ta-ta-ta. And you know the thing they have in common? They're cheap.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Me, in the theater: This is loving awesome.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

net cafe scandal posted:

Me, in the theater: This is loving awesome.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The Joker is intensely charismatic in The Dark Knight. It's not really that surprising he's able to get people rejected by society to join him in tearing it down. We don't need to see it happen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

net cafe scandal posted:

He's running a low cost, low overhead operation like any decent carny would.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He's running a low cost, low overhead operation like any decent carny would.

Haha dope post.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

Haha dope post.

Slaughter is the best medicine.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
My wife couldn't stop laughing when I pointed out that the burning trucks that force the police convoy off their route were firetrucks. Fire. Trucks. The Joker's sense of humour is great.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1984248/ ?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ironically, when the movie came out, gasoline was far from cheap.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Kurzon posted:

I think it's actually that the Flash's villains are more rational and cooperative, so they quickly put down any newcomer who draws too much heat. Batman's villains tend to be insane and self-destructive, while Superman villains tend to be very bold and arrogant.

I think the mindset is 'if we get serious, Flash gets serious, and if Flash gets serious, we're all hosed.' So they keep it mellow.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
He secretly threatens them all with the possibility of him erasing them from time unless they stay civil.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's funny to think that the Nolan films are now being held up as the lighter tone that the DC films should emulate, given how there was (especially with TDK) a backlash for them being grimdark at the time. I remember Robert Downey Jr. in particular talking about how he hated TDK for being too dark and complicated, and Justin Theroux promising how Iron Man 2 was going to be the comedic response to TDK (hah).

Not that I agree with those critiques of the Nolan films, I definitely agree that there's a lot more humor in them than their reputation, especially from Alfred.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it was definitely weird seeing 6 year old kids in the theater for the Dark Knight.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Everyone name a movie you've watched more than twenty times that wasn't something constantly on TV like Just One Of The Guys.

Terminator 2 was a childhood ritual for me and my cousin, and I still watch it every few months on average.

Yes I realize I'm replying to a post from 13 pages ago.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it was definitely weird seeing 6 year old kids in the theater for the Dark Knight.

I'm a huge fan of Snyder on the whole, but can you imagine something like Joker's "magic trick" or Batman beating the gently caress out of him in the interrogation room under his watch? Nolan didn't really linger on the violence in TDK, so it was probably much less scarring for young children.

On the other hand, I could totally imagine a 7 year old getting really confused watching TDK, while being able to parse BvS perfectly.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

It's funny to think that the Nolan films are now being held up as the lighter tone that the DC films should emulate, given how there was (especially with TDK) a backlash for them being grimdark at the time. I remember Robert Downey Jr. in particular talking about how he hated TDK for being too dark and complicated, and Justin Theroux promising how Iron Man 2 was going to be the comedic response to TDK (hah).

Not that I agree with those critiques of the Nolan films, I definitely agree that there's a lot more humor in them than their reputation, especially from Alfred.

I don't think anyone is saying the Nolan films are lighter in tone. They have well done moments of levity that help the films not feel quite so bogged down in the grimdark.

BvS and MoS, while still having some funny one-liners, don't use those one-liners for levity. They are purely laugh lines and do nothing for the tone of the new films from being all grimdark all the time.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Nolan didn't really linger on the violence in TDK, so it was probably much less scarring for young children.

Kinda like the slight of hand he played with Lau.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Thwomp posted:

do nothing for the tone of the new films from being all grimdark all the time.

"Grimdark" is a nothing word that's become shorthand for saying "I don't like this film's tone" while pretending it's some kind of recognizable, quantifiable negative quality that cinema should avoid.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 7, 2016

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

That whole chase scene was the loving best, one of my favorite theater memories.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'm a huge fan of Snyder on the whole, but can you imagine something like Joker's "magic trick" or Batman beating the gently caress out of him in the interrogation room under his watch? Nolan didn't really linger on the violence in TDK, so it was probably much less scarring for young children.

On the other hand, I could totally imagine a 7 year old getting really confused watching TDK, while being able to parse BvS perfectly.

They would have loved it.

Just as kids in the 80s loved seeing Jesse Ventura have his guts blasted out of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6YQbdlpr-8

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

That whole chase scene was the loving best, one of my favorite theater memories.

it feels very much like Nolan trying to do his version of the truck chase from Raiders of the Lost Ark. what's impressive is that he more or less succeeds.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Little Timmy said he learned a magic trick for show and tell....

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Don't forget this other Fox comic book sequel.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Scott Summers, lame as always.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Kurt, you're breaking my heart with that haircut. You're better than that.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

The MSJ posted:

I realize he was one of the best parts of the first one, but man if they really bring him back after pretty decisively killing him that would be hilarious. Poor Eggy, can't carry a movie on his own.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Gyges posted:

he looks like Eddie Redmayne. Take from that what you will

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The MSJ posted:

But The Lost World was already made into a movie almost 20 years ago? :confused:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Gyges posted:

I don't mind the haircut because 80's teenager Kurt with his Thriller jacket is the best poo poo.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The Dark Knight is a loving incredible movie that I can't talk about because I saw it when I was 16 and immediately became one of *those* people about it and ruined it for all my friends. I rewatch it every year or so and can still defend my position in much less annoying terms, now.

I also see that it seems to be general consensus that TDKR sucks but I haven't heard any good arguments as to why.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Pirate Jet posted:

The Dark Knight is a loving incredible movie that I can't talk about because I saw it when I was 16 and immediately became one of *those* people about it and ruined it for all my friends. I rewatch it every year or so and can still defend my position in much less annoying terms, now.

I also see that it seems to be general consensus that TDKR sucks but I haven't heard any good arguments as to why.

TDKR was good, actually.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Because one stupid voice decision you can deal with, but Bale growling plus Tom Hardy as Sean Connery in the apartment above you is too much.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Tom Hardy's vocal performance may be my favorite thing about that movie, and I like it in general.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pirate Jet posted:

Partially "Nolan is a secret conservative" and partially a whole bunch of nit picking.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
^^^ Yeah I've heard a loooooooot of "the movie glorifies the rich!" stuff when pretty much all of the movie's conflicts are caused by rich people being, well, themselves. I don't know how a pro-bourgeoisie reading holds up against the "and you think this gives you power over me?" scene.

Yeah, I thought Hardy-Bane was absolutely pitch-perfect.

I also don't see the problem with Bale's Batman other than that the suit hasn't aged well mainly due to how stiff it is. Batfleck in a Dark Knight remake would be like my dream movie.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I liked TDKR but I thought the politics in it were muddled a bit and I couldn't get a bead on what Nolan was going for.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I think the mindset is 'if we get serious, Flash gets serious, and if Flash gets serious, we're all hosed.' So they keep it mellow.
That and if they somehow kill the Flash they will have the whole world on their asses.

I love the relationship Wally West has with the Rogues, they even come to his birthday parties :3:

Too bad DC had to make him a troubled black youth who can run really fast (you'd think they would see the implications of this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

Tom Hardy's vocal performance may be my favorite thing about that movie, and I like it in general.

I'd have liked it more if I could understand half of what he was saying.

• Locked thread