Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

be nice wicka posted:

they are kind of difficult to search on mobile bc they're only in pdf form and not well indexed

I've got the karting regs on my phone and it's impossible to search stuff. FIA doesn't index any of their stuff particularly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

be nice wicka posted:

they are kind of difficult to search on mobile bc they're only in pdf form and not well indexed

Speaking of, is there any place that keeps an public archive of official race results like the FIA or something? Another racing series that I follow has a site with stuff going back to the early 2000s in PDFs (http://archives.amasupercross.com/). I can then download the PDFs and pull data out of them to do nerdy data analysis stuff.

I was curious if there was something similar with F1.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

learnincurve posted:

Baiting Wicka for lolz when he posts a fact that we all spent a lot of time discussing in the off season thread isn't cool guys.

You are the one he has trolled the most just recently, you indeed have the soul of an angel.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Riso posted:

What happeend to the adventure time avatar anyway?

Theres no Time to Adventure in this thread

<~~~~~

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

You are the one he has trolled the most just recently, you indeed have the soul of an angel.

We acted like non-petulant children via PM, and I believe a tentative truce for the good of all concerned has been reached pending a vote by the team principles + Bernie and Todt, the FIA, and the world council.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I like the new thread title

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
All Haas puns all year long for the thread title imho

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Tsaedje posted:

All Haas puns all year long for the thread title imho

Sports Argument Stadium > F1 2016: Never go Haas to mouth

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Is the claire williams probation rule real? sexism is an important part of f1, i unironically chose it over nascar or indycar because it had hotter grid girls.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Is the claire williams probation rule real? sexism is an important part of f1, i unironically chose it over nascar or indycar because it had hotter grid girls.

Please make good posts, instead of bad posts. And if the occasional bad post does slip out, please do not make it again and again.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Mercedes are sad no one is talking about how great their F1 engines are for the environment and only talking about Tesla

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/15152695/why-f1-car-more-energy-efficient-electric-car

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Hand Knit posted:

Please make good posts, instead of bad posts.
If this is the Worst Thread of the future I'm moving to Ireland with Bill O'reilly

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Can someone explain to me why success ballast is such a bad idea?

1st, 2nd, 3rd get 200lbs, 150lbs, 100lbs respectively mounted to the top of the engine cover (can be on the inside so as to not disrupt the aero, as long as it's still mounted as high up as possible). This ballast is applied for the next race during FP1 and cannot be removed until the race is over on Sunday.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with that system (maybe the weight isn't enough.)

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

MustardFacial posted:

1st, 2nd, 3rd get 200lbs, 150lbs, 100lbs respectively mounted to the top of the engine cover (can be on the inside so as to not disrupt the aero, as long as it's still mounted as high up as possible). This ballast is applied for the next race during FP1 and cannot be removed until the race is over on Sunday.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with that system (maybe the weight isn't enough.)

Because F1 is supposed to be the test of who has is the fastest driver in the fastest car and messing around with that changes the whole purpose of the formula.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 8, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

"ballast" is a metaphor, it would actually be implemented as time penalties. but to answer your question, it's a competition, penalizing the best teams defeats the point of a competition. plus - it's not going to work. it's F1, teams are going to figure out the best balancing of starting/finishing positions to maximize points gained given ballast penalties, it will make the sport even worse.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I suspect what would happen if that were to happen in qualifying is that teams that know they have no hope of ever winning a GP like Manor, Sauber and Force India would go as fast as possible with one car so they get all the lovely TV time that comes with being top three on the grid and everyone else would try to get fourth which would turn the entire grid into a lottery and even more of a joke than we have now.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Because F1 is supposed to be the test of who has is the fastest driver in the fastest car and messing around with that changes the whole purpose formula.
And yet, here we are.

be nice wicka posted:

"ballast" is a metaphor, it would actually be implemented as time penalties. but to answer your question, it's a competition, penalizing the best teams defeats the point of a competition.
Again, "competition" doesn't matter. If it did, we wouldn't be going through all of these rule changes or quali bullshit.

be nice wicka posted:

plus - it's not going to work. it's F1, teams are going to figure out the best balancing of starting/finishing positions to maximize points gained given ballast penalties, it will make the sport even worse.

Ok, that's a fair point.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
I would not like to see reverse grids, time penalties for qualifying, or ballast on cars.

HOWEVER, couldn't the "teams will balance start/finish positions" problem be counteracted by changes to the points system? Perhaps by awarding points to fewer positions, and giving a hell of a lot of points to the winner? This seems like something that can be mathematically modeled in advance, without needing to wait and see whether teams "figure it out".

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mhFTAJvxA
Legitimately better racing than F1. Yellow is Kimi obviously. Blue is RedBull I think?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Ballast or reverse grids would destroy F1 as a competition and I would stop watching.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
F1 is already dead, we are watching its corpse slowly decompose.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

MustardFacial posted:

And yet, here we are.

Again, "competition" doesn't matter. If it did, we wouldn't be going through all of these rule changes or quali bullshit.

Ok, that's a fair point.
- You don't think Merc has the fastest car?

- I would like to see closer points at the top with gappier points lower down, so 1st gets 25 points, 2nd gets 24, but the difference between 9th and 10th is like 10 points. I don't know, someone could do the maths, but the key thing of better places meaning points not penalties is kept, except you gotta work harder at the top because your rivals don't fall behind so quickly.

- I do think there is a need, when considering major rule changes, to consider when it isn't "F1" in character but only in name and has become a poor imitation of another series. I'm not saying it has, but if you want X from your Motorsport and X isn't in F1 but is in Rallycross, go watch that instead.

Hey we could do that as a fun thread thing: what are some of the defining features of F1 that should be present throughout changes, in your opinions?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

simplefish posted:

Hey we could do that as a fun thread thing: what are some of the defining features of F1 that should be present throughout changes, in your opinions?
- Millionaire playboys acting like literal children
- blatantly corrupt officials
- sometimes a car race happens.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Human Grand Prix posted:

Except when something like that is allowed you either end up with A) The Manufacturers converging on one design B) Can-Am.

Exhibit A: Can-Am was awesome as gently caress

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

simplefish posted:

- You don't think Merc has the fastest car?

- I would like to see closer points at the top with gappier points lower down, so 1st gets 25 points, 2nd gets 24, but the difference between 9th and 10th is like 10 points. I don't know, someone could do the maths, but the key thing of better places meaning points not penalties is kept, except you gotta work harder at the top because your rivals don't fall behind so quickly.

- I do think there is a need, when considering major rule changes, to consider when it isn't "F1" in character but only in name and has become a poor imitation of another series. I'm not saying it has, but if you want X from your Motorsport and X isn't in F1 but is in Rallycross, go watch that instead.

Scaling the points like that just means the most reliable of the fast cars wins

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Literally just alternate between N/A and Turbo engines. Development wars are the best.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Multiple tire manufacturers

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MustardFacial posted:

Multiple tire manufacturers

No.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I dropped out of chemistry in university because I kept falling asleep. I really don't care about tire compounds. I want to hear about crazy engine technology instead.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

V16 engines?

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I'd like a shitload of spec parts to slash costs and hopefully decrease the gap between the best and worst team to like 2 seconds.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

AgentJotun posted:

I'd like a shitload of spec parts to slash costs and hopefully decrease the gap between the best and worst team to like 2 seconds.

See: Haas F1. The best team in Formula One.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

AgentJotun posted:

Thought experiment: If all the cars are the same, how can they overtake each other?

for an applied version of this, see the bad loving Indycar races from like 2008 to 2011.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

Literally just alternate between N/A and Turbo engines. Development wars are the best.

Even though it generally happens for political reasons more than anything else, there's something to be said for significantly changing the F1 specs every so often.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I wish there was a way to balance FI and NA motors effectively.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I dropped out of chemistry in university because I kept falling asleep. I really don't care about tire compounds. I want to hear about crazy engine technology instead.

I like tire competition in theory, not in practice.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

AgentJotun posted:

The more they make spec (unless the entire thing becomes spec), the more expensive it will get. The only way to improve the performance of the car will be to endlessly sharpen the razor that is the non spec parts which the teams with money will happily do while the others can't.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

1500quidporsche posted:

Development wars are the best when you have the tobacco industry fire-hosing money into the sport to pay for it all but welp

Alain Post posted:

Thought experiment: If all the cars are the same, how can they overtake each other?

Counter-thought: if some cars are faster than others, and the qualifying system causes the faster cars to start the race in front of the slower cars....?

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 8, 2016

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Pick starting grid spots out of a hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I wish people would get the idea that slower cars in front of fast cars is in any way a good idea. We see what happens when a slower cars is out of position, usually when they get bumped up the grid because others have had grid penalties and it's hit and miss if it causes a pile up or not. Going to extremes and putting the manors then the saubers at the front of the grid is just going to cause a massive first corner pile up, maybe if they all had tyres and breaks up to the correct temperatures it would be ok but that is a fundamental flaw with F1 that they can't change.

Sometimes I wonder if people (more on comments sections than here) have had the reality of the sport spoiled for them by console video games.

• Locked thread