Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
What the gently caress did I just watch? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
An episode without Felicity turned out to be awesome. Who would've thought? I just have to give props to Blackthorne and Amell for how they acted in that last scene. I thought it was great. They both really sold it. Andy Diggle...man, I was pulling for him and he got me.

Big giant gently caress you to the writers though.

Tagichatn posted:

The synopsis is really on point this week: http://imgur.com/a/Y3b1j

Because this was the worst thing I've ever heard. The Roman Reigns comparison still stands strong. Every character in the show has to put over Felicity. I'll eat this bullet this time. NOT MY GREEN ARROW AND BLACK CANARY. THEY SHARED A COMIC, drat IT!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Rhyno posted:

I thought she wasn't even showing up for two more weeks.

She's coming out as Laurel Lance/Black Siren on the Flash from Earth-2 and is still voice acting as Black Canary on Vixen S2.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hey I just remembered the fake death pinch that Oliver did earlier this season with the Russian woman as well as to fake murder someone for the mob back in season 2. What's the bet that the writers haven't toally forgotten that he can do that and work that into it (0%).

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

BurritoJustice posted:

Hey I just remembered the fake death pinch that Oliver did earlier this season with the Russian woman as well as to fake murder someone for the mob back in season 2. What's the bet that the writers haven't toally forgotten that he can do that and work that into it (0%).

Because the fake murder trick instantly fake-killed them, not cause them to convulse.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

No one could fake that!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just one last season and we can finally forget about this series. And hope that whoever thought that relationship melodrama was a good idea to put into a superhero show in large quantities is taken out back and shot.

This session is falling apart like the last one, but the point where it started showing its signs were later this season at least.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

jscolon2.0 posted:

Next year, Laurel will be back but played by Genevieve Cortese.

hahahaha

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I guess it would make sense that Laurel did tell Oliver to set up the fake death, but he botched it and she really died.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Hey guys, you want a Black Canary back? Well, guess who's blonde and still a regular on the show? :v:

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Krad posted:

Hey guys, you want a Black Canary back? Well, guess who's blonde and still a regular on the show? :v:

Actually, Neal McDonough is still a guest star.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
man I'm laughing my rear end off at everybody who didn't expect Laurel as a possible hit before it happened.

It's the whole reason Quintin was acting as Daimon Dark's Stooge in the first place (and get Blackthrone's emmy already, that final scene was pitch perfect).

Besides, I'm not completely convinced Laurel is dead just yet, thanks to Olly having a feign death herb in his stock that we haven't forgotten yet.

On the off chance she is gone, we'll miss her seriously. She has worked her butt off physically and her character has improved drastically. :(

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Krad posted:

Hey, everyone wanted Green Arrow and Black Canary together, right? So here you go! Oliver and Felicity!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So your position is that they did extensive reshoots including going back in time to set up the tombstone we all saw two weeks ago in the leaked pictures because of their shame about the negative reaction to the episode from two days ago?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

So your position is that they did extensive reshoots including going back in time to set up the tombstone we all saw two weeks ago in the leaked pictures because of their shame about the negative reaction to the episode from two days ago?

It's the perfect crime

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

zoux posted:

Guggenheim posted:

The concept of death on this show is evolving and changing as we’ve already seen with Sara Lance, and with seeing Laurel in a parallel universe. There’s a world where we do an episode where Oliver Queen meets the Laurel Lance of Earth-2. That’s now on the table. Time travel is now on the table. As the show has evolved, so has death.

;)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guggenheim is risking the time line to shove Olicity down our throats :eng99:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Narcissus1916 posted:

LOL at someone arguing that Flash is the better show right now. Their second season has been a narrative clusterfuck, completely sidelining the best members of the cast.

Arrow's season has been... hmmmm.
It's really hard to say which has been worse this season, they've both been pretty bad.

Xelkelvos posted:

All of the good writing is being funneled into LoT
I'd say it's been pretty much on the same level.

teagone posted:

Supergirl is the best show among DC's TV ventures right now. I suggest everyone watch that instead.
Supergirl is the worst. It's as inconsistent as the CW shows but faster, it flips between good and terrible multiple times every episode, and that means that by the end of the episode everything comes out neutral so you don't even get the good episodes and bad episodes, you just get every episode having good elements but overall being bad.

The Lord Bude posted:

How did you people ever manage to watch Joss Whedon's stuff?
I've basically always been of the opinion that Joss Whedon is such a bad writer that he sometimes manages to be good by accident. He desperately needs people to reign him in and turn his stupid ideas into coherent plots and the more control he has the worse his shows are.

The Lord Bude posted:

you say this like someone who hasn't watched shield since the middle of season 1
I watched the entire first season of AoS. It was terrible. Start to finish.

Phylodox posted:

This episode officially cemented Arrow as the worst show I watch on TV. Seriously. Worse than Gotham.
Gotham is fantastic. I seriously don't get the hate for Gotham. It's consistently great.

10 Beers posted:

Y'know, none of this would've happened if they'd just scattered the pieces of the idol around the world instead of putting it back together.
When Malcolm's men came to steal it, I was certain it was a fake. Team Arrow had already talked about how Malcolm knew they had it and was working for Dhahrhkh, so why the gently caress was the real idol still in the Arrow cave?

LLJKSiLk posted:

Questions: Did I miss where Merlyn grew a new hand or something? Or got a bunch of LoA people to just show up despite the league being abandoned and the daughter of Ras in the wind?
It does make sense that a lot of the former league would follow him. They dedicated their lives to this organisation, and then the new leader just disbands it? They're probably going to go back to the old leader.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Comparatively, yeah, I really do miss the first few seasons. I almost want the entire team to implode and have Ollie go back to taking out mobs of...mobs solo and telling crime bosses THEY'VE FAILED THIS CITY.
I really liked how in the first season he was taking out regular bad guys like corrupt politicians, organised crime bosses, greedy business people, etc. and would kill people who got in his way. Ever since he stopped doing that it's gone down hill.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Besides Reverse Flash (and maybe Cold), has there been a villain between the series that gained victories for reasons other than the heroes holding the idiot ball

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Besides Reverse Flash (and maybe Cold), has there been a villain between the series that gained victories for reasons other than the heroes holding the idiot ball

I wanna say season 1 Merlyn, both during the midseason break and the season finale.

The former because he soundly whooped Oliver's rear end. The latter because even though they managed to stop the quake machines, he still won out in the end because Tommy ended up dying, which broke Oliver.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Up until around the part where the flashbacks showed Oliver knew there was a Mirakuru cure the whole time and never said anything, most of what Slade had been doing was all him.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I like TV even when it's "bad TV" sometimes, just my hot take.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Xelkelvos posted:

Slade owned the poo poo out of everyone in Season 2, part of the reason it was the high water mark for the show. RIP Moira :smith:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Scyantific posted:

The latter because even though they managed to stop the quake machines, he still won out in the end because Tommy ended up dying, which broke Oliver.

They didn't stop both quake machines. Only one of them. Did you forget about the part where half of the Glades was destroyed and hundreds of people other than Tommy died?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What? No, that didn't happy. You're crazy.

If something like that happened, surely Oliver would never have worked with Merlyn again.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
It also helped that Slade was the only one who's sole reason for being the bad guy was just to gently caress Oliver's life up in every conceivable way. No big evil plan to take over a city or kill anyone else for some dumb ideals or whatever, just a straight-up revenge story.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I'd like to see an alternate universe where the Arrow writers didn't blow their Slade load so early and have Slade be the Season 5 big bad who was somehow behind everything that happened in the show. And then have him gently caress Ollie's mom.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Longbaugh01 posted:

Edit: I'll admit I really did like the part in the latest ep with Malcolm yet again just materializing at the bunker/hideout/Arrowcave. At this point it's probably the best running joke on this show because of how ridiculous it is. (Flash kinda has this too, but it's funnier when it's Malcolm.)

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

jscolon2.0 posted:

Well done.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Phylodox posted:

They didn't stop both quake machines. Only one of them. Did you forget about the part where half of the Glades was destroyed and hundreds of people other than Tommy died?

My point still stands. Now it just means that Merlyn won because he outplayed Oliver in bringing in two machines instead of one. And he still breaks him.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

jscolon2.0 posted:

owns

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I don't get it.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
What was the deal with the hard cuts in this most recent episode?

Diggle's Brother is like "I'm in a Box Factory or Something!" and .5 seconds later the entire gang is there almost mid sentence.

Then later the one guy that's actually gotten some screen time (Mouth sewn shut villan guy) gets ready to fight Thea and Laurel and the the next time it cuts to them Malcolm is just like coming out of a cell behind them (almost mid sentence again) and you can just see the previous guys laying on the floor.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's what happened to Katie Cassidy's character on Supernatural.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The best part of this episode was Thea casually mentioning that she hacked the prison's security cameras.

You could almost hear Willa Holland thinking, "wait, is my character actually saying this?"

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

enraged_camel posted:

The best part of this episode was Thea casually mentioning that she hacked the prison's security cameras.

You could almost hear Willa Holland thinking, "wait, is my character actually saying this?"

Well she picked up being a ninja after a few months of lessons from Malcolm, why not pick up hacking after a few months of lessons from Felicity?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Lord Bude posted:

Well she picked up being a ninja after a few months of lessons from Malcolm, why not pick up hacking after a few months of lessons from Felicity?

It would actually be super rude if she didn't teach Hacking to Thea before she left. Probably did it real casual on her last day.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seriously, this guy's a real goldmine. The whole last part of this describes how I feel better than my own words can.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
At this point of this trainwreck, I rather think I'd enjoy David Cassidy showing up as Laurel/Canary with every other character acting as if nothing changed.

Also, "Mods?": The TV IV > Arrow Season 4 - We hoped it'd be better than that last one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My frustration is that Sara was my favorite character in the show and they killed her after taking Laurel in the wrong direction for a long time to "fix it" and forcefully turn her into the black canary which Sara already did perfectly, for no reason other than keeping it closer to the comic canon, I suppose?

And after somehow they had managed to pull that hard task of rewriting Laurel they made Oliver and Felicity real, and then just killed Laurel. And Sara is in a different show. So they killed my favorite character off the show for no real reason in the end. Feels bad man.

If they >had< to have a relationship they could have kept Felicity as the light-hearted character before their relationship drama, have Sara be the black canary and one of the few characters who had good chemistry with the green arrow since they're all crazy psychos and still fix Laurel the way they did, by not making her character a dramatic alcoholic. Hell, they could even kill Laurel had they done that.

Instead we just lost a good Black Canary, another good Black Canary, and a good character with one of the better actresses in the show. Unless it's a fake-out in which case it's gonna be weird after so many resurrections. I mean, comic books and resurrections and all but that would be a crazy high number for a show in so little time.

• Locked thread