Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

achillesforever6 posted:

That and if they somehow kill the Flash they will have the whole world on their asses.

I love the relationship Wally West has with the Rogues, they even come to his birthday parties :3:

Too bad DC had to make him a troubled black youth who can run really fast (you'd think they would see the implications of this)

Half of BSS couldn't understand why it'd be a problem to call the black Spider-Man "Spider-Boy" and they're more progressive than most about minority representation in comics, so that's not surprising at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I'd have liked it more if I could understand half of what he was saying.

Yeah, was never an issue for me :shrug:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

That and if they somehow kill the Flash they will have the whole world on their asses.

I love the relationship Wally West has with the Rogues, they even come to his birthday parties :3:

Too bad DC had to make him a troubled black youth who can run really fast (you'd think they would see the implications of this)

You know, that's actually an interesting idea, it's a shame that the least appropriate people were the ones making it. I wouldn't trust DC Comics to make anything even remotely socially relevant.

If you want an example: look at how they've used Static in the last 15 years.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

The MSJ posted:

Don't forget this other Fox comic book sequel.

This movie was so fun, and this character/actor's performance so good, that I give NO drat how they explain this. NONE.

Like. NONE. Pull a Crank. I don't care. First scene of the movie. Just sitting there drinking. Looks at camera, "I got better". And that's it. ON TO THE SHOW. Never touches on it again.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

The Dark Knight is a loving incredible movie that I can't talk about because I saw it when I was 16 and immediately became one of *those* people about it and ruined it for all my friends. I rewatch it every year or so and can still defend my position in much less annoying terms, now.

I also see that it seems to be general consensus that TDKR sucks but I haven't heard any good arguments as to why.

I actually think TDKR is my favorite of the Nolan trilogy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

achillesforever6 posted:

He's not troubled any more, and he doesn't run fast he just likes building fast cars.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
TDKR made almost no sense at all, but all the performances were great. Catwoman, Alfred, Bane were great. It fell apart when "people were literally crawling into the sewers to find jobs" lol

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I also enjoy the kind-hearted, subtle dadhumour of the Nolan films. It characterises Bruce's relationships and helps include references to other Batman works, like the bomb in TDKR.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That stupid poo poo when all the cops crawled out of the sewers with no ill effects and were able to fight Bane's army. gently caress TDKR.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
TDKR is like going to the opera

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I didn't like the cops scene at all first and thought it ruined the movie but I felt a lot better about it when I read it as Batman giving the cops a chance to redeem themselves. I kinda think that's what the whole of TDKR's ending is about, and why I'm okay with Batman getting a statue when he was a tyrannical fascist manchild.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The MSJ posted:

X-Men posters

Phew, those Four Horsemen posters from a while back had me worried that Fox was breaking with the tradition of awful promotional material for their X-Men stuff but I see they are back on form.

Rhyno posted:

That stupid poo poo when all the cops crawled out of the sewers with no ill effects and were able to fight Bane's army. gently caress TDKR.

I liked TDKR overall, but that whole big street brawl could have been, er, grittier. Once the focus is on Batman and Bane the surrounding battle lost me completely. I know they couldn't have done the opening of Gangs of New York but at least hint at some of the brutality. Matthew Modine's death is just the worst.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Pirate Jet posted:

I also see that it seems to be general consensus that TDKR sucks but I haven't heard any good arguments as to why.
For me, it was just too many illogical plot points to swallow. Why does Bruce keep trusting Selina after she screws him over time and time again? Why does Bane's prison have no guards? How does Bruce heal from a spinal injury with a slap to the back? Why don't the prisoners cooperate to build a ladder or something similar instead of free-climbing? What is Bane's ideology?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Grendels Dad posted:

I liked TDKR overall, but that whole big street brawl could have been, er, grittier. Once the focus is on Batman and Bane the surrounding battle lost me completely. I know they couldn't have done the opening of Gangs of New York but at least hint at some of the brutality. Matthew Modine's death is just the worst.

It also features Batman at his least impressive and dumbest. After getting his rear end beat by Bane, then rebuilding himself from the ground up, crossing the world to reclaim his city, he says the worst retort i've ever heard ("No. I've come to stop you.") and tries to punch Bane again.

The whole thing just looked ridiculous. Like they tried to make a scene that needed 300 people work with 45 people or something.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Terrible Horse posted:

It also features Batman at his least impressive and dumbest. After getting his rear end beat by Bane, then rebuilding himself from the ground up, crossing the world to reclaim his city, he says the worst retort i've ever heard ("No. I've come to stop you.") and tries to punch Bane again.

The whole thing just looked ridiculous. Like they tried to make a scene that needed 300 people work with 45 people or something.

I liked the Batman v Bane fight itself, actually. They had their cool fight in the sewers, with lots of cool lines and good choreography and stuff; I took their street fight to mean that they were both exposed for the costumed clowns they are and that Batman could just handle it better than Bane because he managed to move on.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I really hated TDKR, and this scene:

kinda captures why for me. Sure, the Batman suit is weighing on Wayne's conscience or whatever, but more than anything I can't help but look at this guy and think Patrick Bateman. He just looks goofy, and after being given a leg upgrade and deciding to kick a hole in the wall because it's badass, he basically decides to go fight Bane because... uh, gently caress Bane and I'm awesome. Like, ok, Batman is forced to develop as a character after being outclassed by Bane. But why is he outclassed by Bane? Because he's a complete idiot.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Dark Knight Rises is a goofy-rear end picture that goes all-out with the Inception premise - that people all occupy a shared dream that functions according to movie-logic.

People ask how Batman got back from Afghanistan or whatever, and the answer is that shots of two different places were edited together in order to create the illusion of effortless travel.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Grendels Dad posted:

God that street brawl... mercs armed with rifles, sitting in entrenched positions, abandon their position to beat on the (barely armed) cops with their fists rather than gunning them down. :cripes:

It's just so dumb and it sticks out like a sore thumb every time I watch that movie.

Batham fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 8, 2016

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I had a thought about Civil War.

The current US president in the MCU (or as of Iron Man 3) was elected on a single platform of "[he] will defend [the US] at all costs". A pretty shockingly hawkish/right-wing stance by real-life standards.

The comic Cap was surprisingly left-wing, so perhaps this movie will have him as a rival to the neo-conservative agenda of Tony Stark and the government. Maybe that will be explored... hopefully?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Batham posted:

God that street brawl... mercs armed with rifles, sitting in entrenched positions, abandon their position to beat on the (barely armed) cops with their fists rather than gunning them down. :cripes:

It's just do dumb and it sticks out like a sore thumb every time I watch that movie.

Bane: So, you came back to die with your city.
Batman: No. I came back to stop you.
[begin fighting]

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
My favourite part of Rises is that Aidan Gillen became a meme.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Batham posted:

It's just so dumb and it sticks out like a sore thumb every time I watch that movie.

They somehow did that thing from Big Trouble in Little China where the two gangs shoot at each other and there are some token casualties on both sides and then all guns magically vanish and they charge and butcher each other with swords and meat cleavers and bo staffs.

Except that there are no swords and meat cleavers and bo staffs, and the guns are still there, and they all shoot them while they charge. And they do a really poor job butchering each other because they go at it all through Bane v Batman, and when Talia leaves them to detonate the nuke they are still at it with no visible casualties except for Matthew Modine.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It's about as dumb as a bunch of school bus drivers not caring when a new bus emerges from a smoking bankfront to join their queue.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gyges posted:

Kurt, you're breaking my heart with that haircut. You're better than that.
He's German in the 80s. Mutant or not, there's only so far you can escape from that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Electromax posted:

It's about as dumb as a bunch of school bus drivers not caring when

School bus drivers don't care about things. It's one of those hellish jobs that robs you of the ability to experience human emotions like 'caring' or 'joy'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dncx6O5J4U

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

wyoming posted:

My favourite part of Rises is that Aidan Gillen became a meme.

I will never get tired of Baneposting. That meme just works for me every time.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Full Battle Rattle posted:

TDKR is like going to the opera

Your parents get shot at the inexplicably filthy back alley behind the theater?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Electromax posted:

It's about as dumb as a bunch of school bus drivers not caring when a new bus emerges from a smoking bankfront to join their queue.

That's actually the most realistic thing in the whole trilogy.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Bob Quixote posted:

Your parents get shot at the inexplicably filthy back alley behind the theater?

I have never been to a theater where you can leave directly into a filthy alley, consequently my parents are fine

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yaws posted:

I liked TDKR but I thought the politics in it were muddled a bit and I couldn't get a bead on what Nolan was going for.

"Be careful in who you trust in as a leader, no matter what their stated cause."

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I thought each individual scene of TDKR was good, but when you combine the scenes together to form some sort of coherent narrative, the whole thing falls apart. I had this weird feeling that Nolan actually didn't know anything about Batman, and my fears were confirmed with the Robin"reveal" at the very end. That was so loving lame.

Also the Nolan trilogy was forever ruined once I noticed that Batman never closes his mouth. He pretty obviously doesn't have airholes in his nose for some reason.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Nolan read every "important" Batman book, obviously, as all of the trilogy contain various aspects from those, put together.

For instance, DKR is a mix of Knightfall, No Man's Land, adds in some of the Bane/League connection from other books, etc. The combination of those things creates a different type of outcome at the end, yes, but you can clearly see they're created by someone that read and understood the material.

Nolan basically read the material and, unlike many people who read it and said, "this guy is awesome," he said, "this guy sucks and needs to grow up" and made his movies about that. People that read it as the former don't understand their "awesome" character being displayed as an ineffectual manchild, and hate the movie that stresses this the most.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I thought each individual scene of TDKR was good, but when you combine the scenes together to form some sort of coherent narrative, the whole thing falls apart. I had this weird feeling that Nolan actually didn't know anything about Batman, and my fears were confirmed with the Robin"reveal" at the very end. That was so loving lame.

Also the Nolan trilogy was forever ruined once I noticed that Batman never closes his mouth. He pretty obviously doesn't have airholes in his nose for some reason.

It was less of a "reveal" and more of a ":ocelot::iamafag:"

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Didn't Nolan have Batman signs/stuff in the lead character's apartment way back in Following? The dude knows what Batman is.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

The Dark Knight is a loving incredible movie that I can't talk about because I saw it when I was 16 and immediately became one of *those* people about it and ruined it for all my friends. I rewatch it every year or so and can still defend my position in much less annoying terms, now.

Way too long, too many subplots, subpar writing. Everything involving Joseph Gordon Levitt, Marion Cotillard, or Matthew Modine is laughably bad.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I also never really liked the fight choreography. The Arkham games really nailed it, so seeing Batman move slow and just do basic punches and kicks was kind of a letdown.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Nolan is not really a great action director, especially close combat, something Sneider does very well.

Even though it's a trailer compare this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhn8VVtrfDk&t=113s

with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX_iASz1Si8&t=17s

It's night and day. Still a shitter movie though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Jason Momoa talks about the BvS backlash and Aquaman

quote:

"I like fighting. So, I'm looking forward to being a superhero and just fighting," he teases. "There's some good battles."

After that, Momoa will front his own Aquaman movie, set to hit theaters on July 27, 2018 and directed by James Wan (Furious 7). When we asked what will surprise fans about the movie, the King of the Seven Seas himself compared it to...a Marvel movie?!

"It's just something that hasn't been explored before," he reveals. "For me, it's like Iron Man. When Iron Man came out, it was like, 'Wow!' We haven't explored that character before and Robert Downey took it to a whole nother level. He's genius and it was amazing. I loved it."

ET recently confirmed that Amber Heard will join Momoa as Aquaman's wife, Mera, and though he says they have not had a chance to "really get in there and break it down yet," he tells us, "I'm super stoked. She's awesome!"

One of the responsibilities of directing one of these superhero tentpole movies is dealing with backlash, something Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice director Zack Snyder experienced when the movie hit theaters to polarizing reviews and endless fan opinions.

"There's been some things here and there, but I'm stoked. There's a lot of support from fans," Momoa says of the backlash. "There's a big beautiful world. There's a lot -- a lot -- of stuff. I feel really privileged to know that there's a lot of big, beautiful stuff that's going to happen. I'm excited too, for people to see the final product. And now it's our turn -- it's Justice League time! I've been waiting for four years that I've known about it that I've had to keep my mouth shut. I'm super pumped to shoot it!"

"Some people liked it, some people didn't, it is what it is," he added. "I don't get it, but I don't really listen to what anyone says...You can't win 'em all. And I had a ball. I loved it."

He's such a great guy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

"Big" and "beautiful"? Amber Heard as his wife?

Jason Momoa is the Donald Trump of superheroes. :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

That reminds me. The funniest Man of Steel video I remember was someone playing the sound of people screaming in pain over the aftermath of the Metropolis battle. It was like the offspring of Loose Change, the 9/11 truther movie, and Silent Scream, the anti-abortion video where a fetus screams in pain as it is being cut apart. It’s as if the video was saying that the people who hate Superman for ‘destroying’ Metropolis are either conspiracy nutjobs or extremist conservatives.

• Locked thread