Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

It's been really interesting that the movement to protect Trans rights has been so widespread so fast. I had just assumed that, after gay marriage was legalized, it would be a solid 5-10 years before people started realizing that there are still other groups that are similarly discriminated and did something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

SgtScruffy posted:

It's been really interesting that the movement to protect Trans rights has been so widespread so fast. I had just assumed that, after gay marriage was legalized, it would be a solid 5-10 years before people started realizing that there are still other groups that are similarly discriminated and did something

What makes you think it won't be 5-10 years? 10 years before gay marriage was finally legalized every state that could was passing bans on it.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
There's not even many trans rights to speak of yet. You can still be denied healthcare coverage for basic things like hormones and especially gender conforming surgery depending on where you live. You sure as hell can't change your birth certificate to match your gender in any but the blue-est of states without said surgery, and if you're in a red state you probably can't do it even with. This is why it's such a problem for transpeople with the bathroom bills, because they have no way to not be discriminated against (except by "passing" or praying not to be singled out) in places with them if they were unlucky enough to be born in a state that says "gently caress you, you can't ever change your gender, period."

Ran Mad Dog fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 8, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Ran Mad Dog posted:

Cool thanks for letting us all know it's completely safe to ignore all your dumb bullshit, then.

If you ever decide to stop being a Caitlyn Jenner wanna-be level embarrassment to the trans community, feel free to PM me about.

Yikes.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

We can do "nice meltdown" here too more? Niiiiiiiiice

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Nope, you're straight up lying now.

You're talking to someone who, two pages ago, stated that she wasn't arguing about leftist policies, only the policies that (non-existent) radical leftist groups would support - and cited policies supported by the right. Then three posts later admitted to purposely trying to antagonize people.

She's not exactly arguing in good faith.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Oh absolutely.

Still its useful calling out BS like that in a informative way since there are plenty of people on these forums who will seriously say much of the same things. Kalman for instance loooves to white knight for our modern day robber barons every chance he/she gets.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

SgtScruffy posted:

Trans acceptance has always shadowed gay acceptance, so it's no wonder that the municipalities and states that did/wanted to pass their own laws protecting gay rights in the aughts have now moved onto trans rights. It will probably be another decade or so until those laws are passed/forced in by the court system on a federal level.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Noted SA multiple-bannee Kevin Dawes, aka Caro, did not, in fact, die in a Syrian prison. He was released today.

http://wapo.st/22hKH2S

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Can't imagine that Caro is any more lucid after that. It's good that he is alive tho'

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Teddybear posted:

Noted SA multiple-bannee Kevin Dawes, aka Caro, did not, in fact, die in a Syrian prison. He was released today.

http://wapo.st/22hKH2S

Holy poo poo he's still alive. Seriously, thought that person was dead.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Maybe he'll come back and regale us of tales in as a Syrian hostage/prisoner in between insane ramblings about black helicopters and FEMA death camps harvesting your organs to give to the political elite.

For those unfamiliar: http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2299

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

We had a short thread in GiP about Syrian prisons, based on a report to some House comittee back in 2014. This is an official US government link, but don't take that to mean there's anything safe for viewing (at work or otherwise); it probably isn't.

:nms::nws:

http://foreignaffairs.house.gov/photo-gallery/syria-army-defectors-photos

And he survived for 4 years in the conditions that preceded those pictures. :stare:

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

zoux posted:

"Tough on crime" was such an inviolable position to have for both parties I still get a little surprised when punishments get softened. One of the few areas where there is still bipartisan cooperation is on CJ reform bills that include community treatment and remediation for drug offenses and more jail diversion programs. Pretty much everyone today recognizes that the smarter approach is better that the harder approach, but we didn't know that at the time.

But we do know that now, and 'we' in this case includes Bill Clinton. Which is the dig against him: 2016 Bill is doubling down on the 20 year old mindset that pretty much everybody says is wrong.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Icon Of Sin posted:

We had a short thread in GiP about Syrian prisons, based on a report to some House comittee back in 2014. This is an official US government link, but don't take that to mean there's anything safe for viewing (at work or otherwise); it probably isn't.

:nms::nws:

http://foreignaffairs.house.gov/photo-gallery/syria-army-defectors-photos

And he survived for 4 years in the conditions that preceded those pictures. :stare:

I can't imagine he returns without some major mental issues.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Maybe they beat the crazy out of him?

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
We've got an active shooter on a military base in Texas.

https://twitter.com/BexarCoSheriff/status/718443607296995328

Kro-Bar fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 8, 2016

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

fknlo posted:

Nope he'll be crazier than before

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

I meant more PTSD and mental images of the horror that went on.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

The Iron Rose posted:

Which is part of the reason why I do it to be entirely honest.

LMAO good to know you'll openly admit to being a spiteful child who isn't arguing in good faith.

The Iron Rose posted:

gently caress the notion that minorities have to be leftists.

Is this one of those things where you've had a hosed up life so you do poo poo like this on the internet as a way to have any kind of control over anything at all or are you one of those privileged minorities that wants to remain "above" the rest of the rabble and have as little in common with them as possible? Either way it's really pathetic. Grow up.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

God drat you Obama, taking the guns away from our Troops.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CommieGIR posted:

He was an un-medicated schizophrenic before he went to Libya or attempted to get into Syria the first time. Four years in a death camp certainly won't help, but lets not act like he was anything remotely resembling balanced before.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
From a Klan wedding in Tennessee last year. The dog's robe is a nice touch. See more in this photo essay.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Elephant Ambush posted:

LMAO good to know you'll openly admit to being a spiteful child who isn't arguing in good faith.

Is this one of those things where you've had a hosed up life so you do poo poo like this on the internet as a way to have any kind of control over anything at all or are you one of those privileged minorities that wants to remain "above" the rest of the rabble and have as little in common with them as possible? Either way it's really pathetic. Grow up.

is neither an option?

Because I'm perfectly comfortable with who and what I am. Proud, even!

But I like the way you so cheerfully dismissed my perspective because it disagreed with your conception of what we should all believe and be like.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

From a Klan wedding in Tennessee last year. The dog's robe is a nice touch. See more in this photo essay.

*glances at photos* Glad to see they are upholding the proud tradition of making the master race look like something that crawled out of a swamp somewhere.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Joementum posted:

You'd think noose-tying would be a common skillset at that event, but I guess everyone's cutting back these days.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Joementum posted:

Some people are taking the Earthbound Happy Happyist cosplay a bit too far.

E: When it comes to marriage, they really tie the knot! :haw:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The Muslims are getting lesbian married. Proof of the homomuslim axis!

Also, if Caro comes back, he should get Vilerats mod position. It's only fair.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SgtScruffy posted:

I know that the HERO ordinance in Houston was a broad LGBT rights bill, but the opponents discovered that the "perverts pretending to be women to look at little girls pee in the bathroom" angle moved papers so they used that as the fulcrum to leverage the less unpopular gay rights issues into defeat as well. I don't know if the NC measure is that broad or if it is specifically targeted at trans people, but the reason that these fights seem to be all about trans bathroom habits is because those are the parts of the bills that are still extremely controversial, so their supporters push them because people respond to the argument. I think that probably most LGBT (non-TERF) activists/allies are probably where they need to be on trans rights, but I still think that's a pretty fringe position for the mainstream, and opponents know that. So for a lot of these fights, it's not trans activists on their own but the whole LGBT activist movement is behind them for reasons just beyond solidarity.

Not to say that trans allies wouldn't turn out in force to oppose these terrible, bigoted measures but the strength of the current pro-trans rights fight has the benefit of a pre-existing pro human rights machine with shared interests.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Grey Fox posted:

You'd think noose-tying would be a common skillset at that event, but I guess everyone's cutting back these days.

Doesn't look like the....most skilled bunch of human beings attending that meeting.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Do thee Cletus take thee Fido, to be your wedded racist, to live together in marriage, for forever and forever?

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Louisiana is angling to gain a lead in the Worst State Awards.

https://twitter.com/txindyjourno/status/718449523010351104

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Seconding the vote for Caros to be the new Vilerat, just as soon as he finishes leaking documents proving Bashar Al-Assad's unholy alliance with ET and Obama grants him a lifetime open carry license for his Dragunov.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CommieGIR posted:

Well no poo poo it was obvious he left with them, no reason to think he wouldn't be bringing them back with him after 4 years in Assad's prisons.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Joementum posted:

ah, I, uh, ah, well, that's just uh, well.
:nutshot:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kro-Bar posted:

Louisiana is angling to gain a lead in the Worst State Awards.

https://twitter.com/txindyjourno/status/718449523010351104

Just gently caress the South. Wall them off and let the GOP have em.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The shooter on the base in Texas is dead along with one victim, apparently it was a murder-suicide.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

The shooter on the base in Texas is dead along with one victim, apparently it was a murder-suicide.

I'm the horror I feel at being glad that it was only a simple murder-suicide, but that's America for you.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

zoux posted:

I'm the horror I feel at being glad that it was only a simple murder-suicide, but that's America for you.

Yeah it's wonderful to live in America where you go "Oh it was only 2 people?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Daniel Bryan posted:

Yeah it's wonderful to live in America where you go "Oh it was only 2 people?"

Then, was he a white lone nut or a brown terror cell linked to Islam in some way?

• Locked thread