Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

That makes two places I've been to in the last 8 months that have had an active shooter. My brother was stationed there but retired last June. He has a lot of friends still on base. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

CommieGIR posted:

Just gently caress the South. Wall them off and let the GOP have em.

The core concept that the GOP doesn't get is that if you want to reduce something you must let it flourish out of control. The American judicial system is adversarial so by trying to stop things they thus define them.

That's how you get gay marriage.

Conventional wisdom says that the right will be trying to defeat the presence of Roe v Wade forever, but they are running out of ways to try to subvert the intent of the ruling. The GOP is pandering as hard as they can right now either unwilling or unable to realize that Scallia is dead and the opportunity they might have been able to 5 to 4 is past.

There's some tangible awareness of this because once the next SC justice is confirmed its all over of its a dem appointed. There will be another 10 to 20 years of these kind of laws being struck down. That's why McConnell is trying so hard to hold out on no appointments, the GOP culture war will be all but over, the evangelical voters will start to become disenfranchised and the bare remaining illusions of their collation will fall apart.

We will take care of the South after they're done flailing in the darkness after the spectres they can't reach have tired them. Soon.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

the_paradigm_shift posted:

https://twitter.com/TNgov/status/718386171680854018

I knew it was only a matter of time. I'm hoping since Haslam is a business jackass it doesn't get past him but I bet it hits his desk unlike our medicaid expansion.

And of course this somehow protects privacy.

Indiana's one is probably the most restrictive. It's restrictive to the point that Jamie Lee Curtis would be required to use the men's bathroom.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

We will take care of the South after they're done flailing in the darkness after the spectres they can't reach have tired them. Soon.

Oddly poetic.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So Caro's still loving alive for some reason.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Teddybear posted:

Noted SA multiple-bannee Kevin Dawes, aka Caro, did not, in fact, die in a Syrian prison. He was released today.

http://wapo.st/22hKH2S

holy gently caress!

HE'S STILL ALIVE!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Caro is a hero. Donald Trump should do a rally with him.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

fool_of_sound posted:

Caro is a hero. Donald Trump should do a rally with him.

All that money his rally raised for veterans but never handed out... it all makes sense now. Donald knew

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

happyhippy posted:

Do thee Cletus take thee Fido, to be your wedded racist, to live together in marriage, for forever and forever?

Stamp your hoof once for yes, twice for no.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

From a Klan wedding in Tennessee last year. The dog's robe is a nice touch. See more in this photo essay.

Don't these yokels know it's a major faux pax for anyone other than the Bride to wear white to a wedding?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Don't these yokels know it's a major faux pax for anyone other than the Bride to wear white to a wedding?

It appears the Groom is wearing white and the bride is wearing red.

Unless...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Antti posted:

And while it's not 2008 crisis related, don't forget HSBC laundering massive amounts of drug money and then getting a slap on the wrist.

Anyone not working for a bank caught doing the same thing at a smaller scale by one or two magnitudes would rot in jail for 50 years.

Case in point:

"This is Your Country on Drugs: The Secret History of Getting High in America" - Ryan Grim

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 8, 2016

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Tennessee moves to make The Bible their official state book. I assume this is a weird way to get around church and state stuff by saying it's just a book.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KiteAuraan posted:

Tennessee moves to make The Bible their official state book. I assume this is a weird way to get around church and state stuff by saying it's just a book.

Oh and they want to make the Barret .50 the state rifle.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

KiteAuraan posted:

Yeah and naming things the state dishes is a way to get around FDA regulatory law :rolleyes:

quote:

The state's Attorney General Herbert Slatery also released a statement last year that said acknowledgement of the Bible as the official state book would violate the First and Third Amendments of the Constitution for giving preference to a religious institution. Meanwhile, legislators in support of the measure argued for the significance of the holy scripture and its role in founding the United States.

It's a nothing issue like in God We Trust on money or prayers before football games.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 8, 2016

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Can't believe the fuckers didn't state what version they wanted. They must really give a poo poo about the historicity of that old loving book.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

N. Senada posted:

Can't believe the fuckers didn't state what version they wanted. They must really give a poo poo about the historicity of that old loving book.

That would blow away the façade that it's about Christianity overall versus one specific variant.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

N. Senada posted:

KJV 1611. Everything else isn't the Bible according to them.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

CommieGIR posted:

this already passed.

It's the only gun that's a high powered, kind of 'modern' 'state' gun; others include the Colt Revolver, a Winchester 70 from pre 1964, a gun specifically made by that state's Sheriff and a M1911.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ran Mad Dog posted:

You sure as hell can't change your birth certificate to match your gender in any but the blue-est of states without said surgery, and if you're in a red state you probably can't do it even with.

Surprisingly enough the ease of changing birth certificates barely relates to how good the state otherwise is. A decent grip of purple states have the hardest time (like Ohio for instance, where it's almost impossible to change no matter what, unless you're living in another state and get that state's court to rule on it) and others you'd expect to be difficult by being deep red are surprisingly easy (for instance, Alabama technically requires that surgery is done, but what you actually need is a doctor's note which can be just for going on hormone therapy, and the doc merely needs to be a bit obscure about what precisely was done).

Now yeah nearly all the deep blue states make it really easy to change, but there's not much correlation beyond that. Often red and purple states end up with easier stuff for name changes, gender marker changes on ID and so on, because of activists winning court cases and getting better results than the normal legislative process in more liberal states. (For instance a lot of regular blue states still require buying a newspaper classified ad announcing the namechange, while say Virginia now just requires a rubber stamped court order that doesn't even need a court appearance. But say 10 years ago it was a shitload harder than that in Virginia!)

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

This did happen btw it's not an almost. In fairness to our legislators it's made here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

the_paradigm_shift posted:

This did happen btw it's not an almost. In fairness to our legislators it's made here.

We needed a state firearm?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

Yeah and naming things the state dishes is a way to get around FDA regulatory law :rolleyes:

It's a nothing issue like in God We Trust on money or prayers before football games.

What does the third amendment have to do with this? Are they going to quarter troops in our homes to enforce respect of the state book?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Some slightly good news for LGBT rights in the South:

quote:

South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley (R) on Thursday indicated that she would not support a bill introduced on Wednesday that would require public restrooms to direct people to use the bathroom that aligns with their birth sex and would keep local governments from letting transgender individuals choose which bathroom to use.

Haley told reporters in South Carolina that she doesn't believe the bill is "necessary" and that her office hasn't received any complaints about the issue, according to The State.

"This is not a battle that we’ve seen is needed in South Carolina," she said. “It’s not something that we see that citizens are asking for."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

What does the third amendment have to do with this? Are they going to quarter troops in our homes to enforce respect of the state book?

We really need to re order our amendments by priority, freedom from troops quartering is not a top three right.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DaveWoo posted:

Some slightly good news for LGBT rights in the South:
It's heartening to see that the ERA-derailing bullshit isn't passing mustard these days.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Rumor is the commander of the 341st K-9 training squadron was the one killed by the shooter before the shooter committed suicide.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I lived on Tennessee for a few years in the late 90s and it was worse than you can imagine

hot-rear end summers, cold-rear end bone-chilling winters, ice storms, tornados, cicadas, only three pro sports team spread hundreds of miles apart, and all the regressive conservative shitheads you can handle east of the mississippi.

nashville was sorta cool I guess, but absolutely not worth all the other terrible poo poo in that state

coming to Colorado was like finding an oasis in the desert

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Teddybear posted:

Noted SA multiple-bannee Kevin Dawes, aka Caro, did not, in fact, die in a Syrian prison. He was released today.

*record scratch*

Whaaaaaat?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

a shameful boehner posted:

I lived on Tennessee for a few years in the late 90s and it was worse than you can imagine

hot-rear end summers, cold-rear end bone-chilling winters, ice storms, tornados, cicadas, only three pro sports team spread hundreds of miles apart, and all the regressive conservative shitheads you can handle east of the mississippi.

nashville was sorta cool I guess, but absolutely not worth all the other terrible poo poo in that state

coming to Colorado was like finding an oasis in the desert

Colorado is awesome, I want to move back there.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Rumor is the commander of the 341st K-9 training squadron was the one killed by the shooter before the shooter committed suicide.
poor pups (assuming he didn't beat them)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Is there significance to that?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mr. Wookums posted:

poor pups (assuming he didn't beat them)

The shooter or the commander?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Teddybear posted:

Goons are unbreakable. Put us in the deep ground, buried away from humanity. We will spring up again like weeds, and two shall be where one was.

But enough about our basements, Caro is crazy.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

Goons are unbreakable. Put us in the deep ground, buried away from humanity. We will spring up again like weeds, and two shall be where one was.

But enough about our basements, Caro is crazy.

Cross-quoting from GiP:

ElMaligno posted:

Caro can live 4 years inside a literal loving deathcamp
Meanwhile I can't even find a girl that's willing to gently caress me (without paying up-front)

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

El Scotch posted:

Cross-quoting from GiP:

Should have been "Caro can survive living 4 years inside a literal loving deathcamp", but then again I'm a loving idiot.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Joementum posted:

From a Klan wedding in Tennessee last year. The dog's robe is a nice touch. See more in this photo essay.

someone please rescue this dog, but let him keep the cape it's pretty cute

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

The shooter or the commander?
commander. I think the military generally trains dogs well

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mandatory lesbian posted:

someone please rescue this dog, but let him keep the cape it's pretty cute

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mr. Wookums posted:

commander. I think the military generally trains dogs well

Can't imagine why the commander would beat them. Kibble seems to work well enough

• Locked thread