Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I was doing alright until the last stage... ploughed into a stone and sent my wheel flying off. Also the game just got some huge update adding in telemetry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm downloading a 17.3 Gb update so I guess something is happening? :captainpop:

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE

Red_Fred posted:

I'm downloading a 17.3 Gb update so I guess something is happening? :captainpop:

Maybe new content to coincide with the console release today? I was expecting my PS4 copy to arrive in the post this morning but no dice so far.

alr
May 14, 2009
From https://steamcommunity.com/games/310560/announcements/detail/935995275792080061

quote:

WELCOME! Today’s the day our DiRT family gets bigger – so hello console players! Strap yourselves in, because it’s going to be a thrilling ride.  And PC players, welcome to DiRT Rally 1.1 – the new content is unbelievably good fun, so we hope you love and enjoy it.

And surprise! I know you were all expecting the console launch and new content today - but were you expecting CREST, our new telemetry tool?

That’s right - the Codemasters RaceNet Evaluation and Statistics Tool is now live and available on dirtgame.com! PS4 and Xbox One players will be able to access it through the website immediately, whereas PC players will need the latest patch to play with it. However, we’re delighted to finally let you get your hands on it! It’s very cool – so let us tell you a little more about what it offers.

First of all, you’re going to want to know where to access it. Head to dirtgame.com, log into your RaceNet account, and click through to the Dailies data. We’ll be supporting Daily 1 and Daily 2 to begin with, so make sure you get competing in those to make the most out of your new data sets.

When you arrive there, you’ll have a new button under the Leaderboard header – ‘View Telemetry using CREST’. Using this, you can compare your ghost to the fastest time’s ghost – and that comparison covers a range of different inputs and information, including: sector times, racing line, braking, acceleration, speed, and even which gear you’re taking the corner in.

Giving you live feedback from a top-down aerial view, you’ll be able to slow down time and analyse your performance corner by corner. You can choose to have the tracker follow your cars around the map, or you can control your view manually – choosing to focus on particular segments or corners of track.

You’ll also be able to sort users by assists and input – so if you’re starting off with assists and a pad, you’ll be able to gauge your performance against people in the same boat. And, by the same token, if you’re using a wheel without any assists, then you’ll be able to measure yourself against the fastest of your field. Honestly, we could talk about it all day – but the best thing to do is download the patch and see it for yourselves. It holds some incredible data, and the insight it offers should really help you perfect your driving styles.

Oh, and did we mention it’s available and accessible via mobile too? Yes – now you’ll be able to check out your performance on your phone too. Although, mobile access does come with a caution: be prepared for lots of refreshing and it taking over your life. ;)

Of course, with V1.1 comes a whole host of tweaks and fixes – so here are the patch notes:

• Game – A stock engineer team are now used in the Service area for Online Events to prevent some players gaining an advantage. This will also occur in Leagues depending on the settings used.
• UI Fix – Users are now instantly informed and moved onto the next run if they unfortunately Terminally damage their vehicle on the start line of a Hillclimb event.
• Achievement Fix – “I am the 5%” unlocking criteria has now been made clearer.
• Online Fix – When a player enters the pause menu, their vehicle will now instantly ghost.
• UI Fix – Controller disconnection message is now always showing on top of whichever screen you are on at that time.
• Game Fix – Solved an issue when the option to apply the first perk to your Crew Chief was not showing.
• AI Fix – In a Hillclimb event, the AI drivers will now place correctly if they Terminally Damage in their second run.
• Online – Players no longer receive a Clean Race / Appearance bonus if they retire from the event early.
• Game Fix – Fixed an issue where a player takes 2 joker laps in a row and then their 2nd Joker lap icon disappears due to the AI driver entering the Joker lap.
• Vehicles - The threshold for punctures has been increased, making the tyres more resistant to punctures on landings.
• Controls – Players can no longer accidently unbind ‘Gear Up’ and ‘Gear Down’ controls when re-assigning buttons if they have their preferential transmission set as Automatic.
• COMMUNITY – Car Damage – Car parts will no longer clip through the Lancia Stratos cockpit when damaged.
• COMMUNITY – Animations – Drivers are now shifting correctly when using either of the F2 Kit Cars.
• COMMUNITY – Online Event – Some cars reported by the community should no longer gain an increase in performance after damaging their car exhaust.
• COMMUNITY – Reset Lines - Some reset lines around the tight hairpins on the Monte carlo stage, Route de Turini, have been replaced.
• Audio – Co-driver calls issues for Sweden have been fixed and minor adjustments to other locations.
• Graphics – Corrected an issue where the wrong car kickup VFX was incorrectly being used after completing a stage in Greece.
• Graphics – Crowd members in Sweden are now correctly dressed at all times.
• Exploit – Possible shortcut on the German stage Flugzeugring has been removed.
• Exploit – Users should now no longer have a second try at a daily event after quitting out via ALT+F4.
• Graphics – Lighting issues should now be resolved when using a system with 3+ graphics cards in use.
• Controllers – After using a racing wheel with H pattern transmission in game, upon rebooting and using a controller, the title will now recognise the change and change the transmission type accordingly.
• Replays – Car reset points are now the same when viewing a replay as they are in game, removing the possibility of collision issues when watching a replay in slow motion.
• Game – Custom Events now use a stock Team of engineers in the service area at all times.
• Game – Hillclimb – AI drivers who terminally damage in their 2nd run will now be correctly placed in the final results screen.
• Controller – Issue where the players controller will continuously rumble during the pre-race sequence for a rallycross event no longer occurs.
• Leaderboards – Players who use a non-standard character as the first letter of their driver name will now be shown correctly in an events leaderboard.
• Controls – Gear up/ Gear down can now be assigned controls when the user has set their transmission type to automatic.

Finally, thank you so much for sticking with us on this wild, bumpy, thrilling ride that is DiRT Rally. Your honest feedback, enthusiasm and engagement with us and the game has been utterly wonderful - and we can’t thank you enough. You’ve helped make the game what it is today, and for that, we’re truly grateful. Now today’s arrived, we can’t wait to share it with the world.

And from their blog http://blog.codemasters.com/community/02/new-content-for-dirt-rally/

quote:

Great news! We’re delighted to be able to confirm that there will be additional content coming to DiRT Rally on April 5th, 2016, to coincide with the launch of DiRT Rally on PS4 and Xbox One
--
In addition to the content we’ve added during DiRT Rally’s Steam Early Access programme, all players, whether you play on PS4, Xbox One, or PC, will now be able to enjoy some awesome new additions to the game when April arrives. New Classic Mini and Super 1600 series will introduce the thrills of rallycross from the beginning of the game, and we’ve added 21 advanced rally driving video guides which will help gamers maximise their rallying performance.

For the first time in the game, you’ll also be able to experience the vintage full gravel surface at Pikes Peak. And starting April 5th, you’ll also be able to take on Pikes Peak in the iconic Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak. Not only this, but three of Colin McRae’s most iconic liveries will join his Focus livery in DiRT Rally – allowing you to relive the exploits of a legendary rally champion and icon of motorsport. We’ve been waiting a long time to be able to bring you the Impreza livery – and we’re delighted to be able to say that the iconic fluorescent yellow and blue design is now at its spiritual home with DiRT Rally.

The DiRT team have also added seven extra cars, including some huge (and most-requested) fan favourites. The vehicles in question are…

– Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak
– Renault 5 Turbo
– Renault Alpine A110
– Opel Corsa Super 1600
– Peugeot 207 S1600
– Renault Clio S1600
– Mini Classic Rallycross

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yep, the console content is now in the PC version. So there's finally a RWD option in the 1960s class, some less expensive RX options and some of the console UI updates got added too. The menus look better, the loading screen info box is better laid out and there's a little pre-stage screen showing the stage name and what number it is in the current rally which is nice.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Going from RWD to AWD is a pretty big change although it might be the car I decided to use. The Delta S4 had pretty predictable response at certain rpm ranges and was easy to force into oversteer during turns. The 95 Impreza handles stiffly but I am having trouble with hairpins - even though in the hillclimb I can take sharp turns pretty well in the quattro (then again that car is a beast).

I'm not a great driver so moving to Professional seems pretty difficult trying to get out of 5th place. Night rallies are pretty sweet though.

How does the league work? Do players set an event type and timeframe to finish it?

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 5, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, there's a set of stages and a set of classes you can use and you have a week to set your time over the whole rally. Event restart is enabled so you can start over if you really screw up but once you're finished or wreck your time is logged.

E: I'm gonna restart my career to try and get my skill back, I got a lot of dirt rust.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 5, 2016

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I've been obsessed with doing the daily races until I inevitably crash and start getting excited for tomorrow's race. :) I have been slowly getting better at rallying with a third party xbox controller. Can't wait to jump in the league with you guys this season.

Edit: Since you were asking for screenshots I always liked this one even though its not too dramatic.

Since I'm posting stuff...this isn't my best run ever. The air I got on some of the jumps is just obnoxious and some of the corners were less than perfect. It is however a good representation of why I love this game so much. Its just immensely fun beating on virtual cars. I found a tune in the spotify playlist I had running at the time that matched up with my time and hit record on the replay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw6x_U23zrE

VVV sup 360 controller with no assists buddy. :)

old beast lunatic fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 5, 2016

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Jumping on the league train with a 360 controller and no assists. :cool: For the few days I've had the game I've consistently been at the bottom of daily rankings, but I feel like I'm making progress each race, even if it's just crashing slightly less or not spinning my Lancia Stratos every chance I get. I rarely play driving games, but there's something satisfyingly brutal about this one.

For others who are just starting out, check out the in-game tutorial videos they just added today. I haven't gone through them all yet, but they're short and seem to do a good job of teaching basic concepts and techniques.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Alpine A110 sounds SO goood

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Just now played the game for the first time on Xbox, and the pucker factor is real :stonk:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jesus H. Christ, I don't think there's a single turn in Finland that doesn't end with "and crest". loving Jump City.

L_Harrison posted:

Just now played the game for the first time on Xbox, and the pucker factor is real :stonk:

Yuuuuuuup. Welcome to Clench Hour.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Anyone else with a Logitech wheel finding their wheel absolutely hates the new rallycross cars? I have no problem with any other cars or the supercars but the S1600s and Mini RX's make my wheel feel like it's about to break apart.

E: A quick scan of the Steam forums says yeah this a common thing. Shame as I'd really like to get some time with the S1600s as they feel like an F2 rallycross car and I want me some of that.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 6, 2016

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Edmond Dantes posted:

Jesus H. Christ, I don't think there's a single turn in Finland that doesn't end with "and crest". loving Jump City.

gently caress yes, Finland is incredibly fun.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Finland's easy as long as you know how it should be done. Maximum attack, all the time every time.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Finally back to playing this again, I'm back to being terrible. Game is still always amazing though.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Not sure if they mentioned this in the patch notes, but they doubled the tyre durability.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah they did, though some people I saw complaining that they just did a blanket increase in durability rather than fixing the issue of tires puncturing on landing after jumps. But then I'd assume here we're hitting another of those restrictions of the Ego engine and the tire model.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

They handle that in two different stats. One for tyres getting punctured and another for tyres getting blown. Thing is, harsh landings could do either depending on a whole number of random factors, so it wasn't all that realistic.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Great Joe posted:

They handle that in two different stats. One for tyres getting punctured and another for tyres getting blown. Thing is, harsh landings could do either depending on a whole number of random factors, so it wasn't all that realistic.
Yeah, Finland was less interesting when I found myself slowing down extra before jumps not just to maintain control, but, rather, because I was afraid I'd go down a tire and it'd ruin the rest of my run even when I landed pretty flawlessly (on course, on direction, balanced so one wheel didn't hit hard first).

A good change for however long it takes to want to play Dirt Rally some more; still haven't even touched Sweden: in part due to the FFB feeling like garbage on my T-150 compared to other games, in part due to just playing other games besides sim racing in general.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Probably going to jump on this and barrel roll my car over a cliff or twenty :getin: I used to play RBR back in the day with an cheap thrustmaster wheel and was awful at it, is it safe to assume I'll be terrible here too?

Are the course layouts fictional or built to match the real rally stages?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The stages are mostly real world or based on real world stages, though I don't know all of them.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Helicon One posted:

is it safe to assume I'll be terrible here too?

yes

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What a loving game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dirt Rally is the Dark Souls of racing sims.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I said come in! posted:

Dirt Rally is the Dark Souls of racing sims.
This really needs to go into the next OP.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bentai posted:

This really needs to go into the next OP.

New OP is done.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm in love. This game just nails the hard but fun mix that PCars doesn't. The Alpine is just awesome to drive

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

njsykora posted:

New OP is done.

Oh, cool, the last pic there is me :v

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Here's a cool video showing the kind of idiot spectator action that got Group B banned.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Out of curiosity, which camera are you guys using? I've been using the helmet came since I got the game because ~realism~ (and I realized that I can judge approach speeds much better from inside the car), but on stages with snow on the banks I'm finding that I usually take it too close to the snow and end up biting into the snow and loging a bunch of speed/spinning. Same happens in greece: I try to stay close to the wall only to misjudge how close I am, ramp the wall and catapult myself out the side of the cliff. :argh:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Always cockpit cam. This opens a can of worms about FOV though, something you might wanna look into if you're having troubles.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cockpit for me because I use a wheel. If I was using a controller it'd be chase or hood cam.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Jehde posted:

Always cockpit cam. This opens a can of worms about FOV though, something you might wanna look into if you're having troubles.

Yeah, I adjusted it a bit; I actually used a calculator and fiddled with the angles in the .ini files at one point but it was doing jack poo poo, I think that tutorial may have been for the early access when you couldn't change the FoV from in-game; I have it at 0.8 now (I can see the tip of my driver's feet) and feels good enough. I may check to see if there's some in-game number to angle chart somewhere at some point, but I think it's not bad right now.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

Cockpit for me because I use a wheel. If I was using a controller it'd be chase or hood cam.
In the end before getting a wheel, I was using cockpit for controller too and felt it was the best. You lose some visibility vs. hood (don't use chase at all if you're actually interested in going fast), but you get a better idea of the car balance since you have some indication what's going on with the car outside the front tip.

Not much advice for not turning too tightly unless it's a car setup issue where you're oversteering though; you've identified the problem, now it's just a matter of learning to adjust your driving to prevent it. It's definitely normal, took some time to get used to placing the nose with cockpit visibility; also harder in eras with front engines vs. really short hood mid/rear-engine machines where you're clearly driving off the road by the point you'd be taking the corner too aggressively.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Definitely bonnet or helmet for me. I tried using the chase cam for rallycross and I just can't get used to it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hood cam krew :respek:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Helmet cam for the authentic terror experience

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

I hope this game has an authentic Group B mode with crowds of suicidal spectators parting like the Red Sea at the very last second as you drive through the middle of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threash
May 18, 2003
Bought this game on a whim for the console this week and it's been really fun while difficult too so far. Does anybody that has been using a controller on the PC have any suggestions for tweaks to the controller settings? It seems a little difficult to use the default ones for fast cars so far at least. Or is it just an issue of getting used to speed, etc... on my part still?

• Locked thread