Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

FilthyImp posted:

passing mustard

Please tell me you did this on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Caro lost some weight. Good for him :unsmith:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Please tell me you did this on purpose.
For all intensive purposes I did!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Caro not dead?

Where is Brown Moses?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Caro not dead?

Where is Brown Moses?

In the middle east thread, just as shocked as we all are. Last he had heard apparently was he was in the Real Real Bad Syrian prison, and that was years ago-- we all just presumed he'd died at some point.

Holy poo poo, Caro. Somebody give that man a hug and some therapy. :smith:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
How many people lost the spread on Caro's head and body being miles apart in the Syrian desert?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

No Butt Stuff posted:

Caro not dead?

Where is Brown Moses?

He updated his blog with the story and a repost of an old interview if you're interested https://www.bellingcat.com/

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/RealSheriffJoe/status/718477386526789632

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jesus gently caress, I wish the Feds would just nail him to the wall already.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

I wonder if Sander's wife got a pair when she visited him.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

it's too tiny to be an attack dog tho...

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gravel Gravy posted:

Can't imagine why the commander would beat them. Kibble seems to work well enough

Anyone who tries to train a dog by beating it deserves to be shot in the face. Not saying that that's what happened, but if it is then justice is done.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
C-Caro-sempai!? Holy gently caress!

CMNDR SHEPARD YOUR TIME IS UP YOU HAD 4 YEARS TO PREPARE

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Armani posted:

C-Caro-sempai!? Holy gently caress!

CMNDR SHEPARD YOUR TIME IS UP YOU HAD 4 YEARS TO PREPARE

seriously cannot believe this

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Teddybear posted:

In the middle east thread, just as shocked as we all are. Last he had heard apparently was he was in the Real Real Bad Syrian prison, and that was years ago-- we all just presumed he'd died at some point.

Holy poo poo, Caro. Somebody give that man a hug and some therapy. :smith:
Yeah, he was last seen/reported as being in Branch 215 in Damascus, which is where they basically torture people to death and dump them in mass graves. Last thing we heard was Caro was half-starved and asking people to kill him.

I have no loving idea how he survived.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Will his account be re-activated in light of this?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

FilthyImp posted:

:tipshat:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Reason posted:

seriously cannot believe this

I wonder if his time in a Syrian hellprison will soften his view on the CIA coming to get him and his landlord being in conspiracy to steal all his stuff.

With any luck when he comes back he'll get some treatment for his schizophrenia

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Zeroisanumber posted:

Anyone who tries to train a dog by beating it deserves to be shot in the face. Not saying that that's what happened, but if it is then justice is done.

this is a pretty crazy thing to say

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

FilthyImp posted:

Sorry but

"intents and purposes".

(This is in that category of "I could care less" where the mistake is so common its almost accepted)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Riptor posted:

"Beating dogs is wrong." -A pretty crazy person i guess

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Riptor posted:

People are sacks of poo poo for the most part, but I've got nothing against dogs.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Sorry but

"intents and purposes".

(This is in that category of "I could care less" where the mistake is so common its almost accepted)

He did it on purpose, did you not see the post that was quoted?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

:thejoke:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

silvergoose posted:

He did it on purpose, did you not see the post that was quoted?

Sorry but

"did you nazi".

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Sorry but

"intents and purposes".

please don't be such a pendant

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

MariusLecter posted:

Will his account be re-activated in light of this?

Well yeah, how else is he going to mod GIP?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

DeathSandwich posted:

I wonder if his time in a Syrian hellprison will soften his view on the CIA coming to get him

isn't that more or less what happened though

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

please don't be such a pendant

*triggering intensifies*

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Irregardless,

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Joementum posted:

It is, yes.

The one on the left is Gaffe-ga

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Uranium Phoenix posted:

I'm actually curious--are there any major historical examples of right-wing parties fighting for oppressed or minority groups? Like, for LGBT rights, or helping people of color in the US, that kind of thing?

This example opens up multiple :can: regarding history and politics if you want to get into it but there's the Civil War.

Generally, you can find moments of right-wingers taking up civil rights causes in cases where it's about removing explicitly discriminatory laws and practices against minority groups - when the mantra is 'fighting for freedom/ liberty'. When you get to the stage where it's about adding laws and regulations to help disadvantaged minorities, that's when it becomes almost exclusively a left-wing thing - when the mantra becomes 'fighting for equality'.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

lizardman posted:

This example opens up multiple :can: regarding history and politics if you want to get into it but there's the Civil War.

Generally, you can find moments of right-wingers taking up civil rights causes in cases where it's about removing explicitly discriminatory laws and practices against minority groups - when the mantra is 'fighting for freedom/ liberty'. When you get to the stage where it's about adding laws and regulations to help disadvantaged minorities, that's when it becomes almost exclusively a left-wing thing - when the mantra becomes 'fighting for equality'.

I'm not really sure you can classify the Republican Party during the Civil War as "right wing." I'm not an expert on the general sentiment of the Republican Party, but while it obviously supported northern business interests it had a general respect for labor, and Lincoln is on record praising labor over capital and had actual cordial correspondence with Karl Marx. Fast forward to Teddy Roosevelt, and you've got a party that is still a complicated amalgam of interests and ideologies, but does things like break up trusts and monopolies and again passes a lot of progressive legislation. Roosevelt had some flawed positions on civil rights, but iirc he was the first person to invite a black family to dine in the white house--Booker T Washington, I believe. Given Teddy's record on labor negotiations, speeches, and laws, I'd say he was firmly a moderate in the fights between capital and labor going on during that time. The farther back in time you go, though, the harder it is to find anything analogous to the modern "left" and "right", which is why I'm really more asking about recent history.

I'm also more interested in specific examples of right wing parties fighting against discriminatory laws and practices against minorities, because I can't think of any myself.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
hey governor scott, u mad bro?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwRx8-Hjlk0

yeah, u mad

this is by Scott's PAC

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
"Haha look at this LATTE DRINKING BITCH!" - Rick Scott as he apparently tries to order a Bud Light from Starbucks

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I still can't believe Caro's alive.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The Boss says enough is enough to North Carolina:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2016/04/08/bruce-springsteen-cancels-nc-show-over-anti-gay-law/82804504/

(This is a thread about general US politics during the month of April, right? That's how I interpret it, at least).

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I still can't believe Caro's alive.

It's really going to be weird if he shows up in a polititoon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BigglesSWE posted:

The Boss says enough is enough to North Carolina:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2016/04/08/bruce-springsteen-cancels-nc-show-over-anti-gay-law/82804504/

(This is a thread about general US politics during the month of April, right? That's how I interpret it, at least).

I think it's really hosed up that after passing that hateful bill the state of NC is being rewarded by having Bruce Springsteen not come to their state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

zoux posted:

I think it's really hosed up that after passing that hateful bill the state of NC is being rewarded by having Bruce Springsteen not come to their state.

Yeah them bigots must be real pleased not to have him show up. Sure, he's a great guy and one of the best live-artists alive, but he likes them homos so he can't all be good.

As a die-hard fan, I fully understand the fans that are missing out on a show. But I respect his decision a helluva lot more.

• Locked thread