Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

theultimo posted:

yes

new latest way to force Windows 10

good. hope they auto install on domain computers too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

dammit Microsoft why won't you let me download the new insider build

I bet it's because I downloaded enterprise instead of pro from msdn

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

yes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

stage 3: bargaining

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Luigi Thirty posted:

i installed pro and it wont download the insider build either

its a known problem http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ubuntu-Win10-Hard-Upgrade

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Windows 10 is good and they should stop asking and just upgrade everyone on every SKU automatically.

Move fast. Break things.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
ahh yes the apple method

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Job security

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

theultimo posted:

ahh yes the apple method

apple poo poo works great while microsoft poo poo doesn't. sooo.....

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

zen death robot posted:

MY WIFE HURRRRRR

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

who's Nichols fuckarin

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

theultimo posted:

who's Nichols fuckarin

He was an old poster who died. rip.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

theultimo posted:

who's Nichols fuckarin
one more jew murdered by the JewKiller 3000

Apr 7, 2003

Now he has to change his name to Jewkiller 3001.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Perplx posted:

i installed pro and it wont download the insider build either

its a known problem http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ubuntu-Win10-Hard-Upgrade

microsoft claims that it's normal for these updates to not appear for a few days whatever that means

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Citizen Tayne posted:

Now he has to change his name to Jewkiller 3001.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

what model? I went through all the tech docs and they said it wasn't in the specs

I have a dell xps 13 9343 and it has a tmp 2.0. bought it at the microsoft store about a year ago and it works with bitlocker.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

Okay, change my text to "dispatch an ACH"

What I'm getting at is that there is no advantage to moving basic operations of doing business like that off a mainframe system to whatever the flavor of the year is.

if you are not actively moving your business to new products you will be replaced by one that does. sears and thousands of other businesses were doing great until something else came along that was better. keep riding that money machine until it goes out of business and hope your skillset will get you a new job

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

zen death robot posted:

my extremely non technical wife or child has had zero problems sorry for you lots

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

lampey posted:

if you are not actively moving your business to new products you will be replaced by one that does. sears and thousands of other businesses were doing great until something else came along that was better. keep riding that money machine until it goes out of business and hope your skillset will get you a new job

healthcare/finance/government see IT as a sinkhole that they spend money on very begrudgingly and usually at gunpoint

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

healthcare/finance/government see IT as a sinkhole that they spend money on very begrudgingly and usually at gunpoint

literally at gunpoint if you are including XP EOL, which finished the DAY of its end of life

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't know if awful app can process but

https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/718216229027254272

Siljmonster fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 9, 2016

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
I'm hungry for some Quantum Chili Dogs

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
wash em down with a nuka cola

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Quantum of Solitaire

Apr 7, 2003

lampey posted:

Ah yes, my company that provides healthcare and has a Z/OS backend will surely be replaced by a company that provides healthcare and has a Windows 2000 backend any day now, because my customers can tell the difference.

Apr 7, 2003

Lampey, it's pretty clear that you've never worked at a real company that sold a real product, so let me spell it out for you here:

A company doesn't give a gently caress about the software you're using if you provide a service or product to them that is financially advantageous.

8<-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Citizen Tayne posted:

A company doesn't give a gently caress about you

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

For any people too immersed in the tech circlejerk, think of this as literally keeping the lights on. Companies know workplaces need lighting for people to work. Companies buy adequate lamps to provide lighting. Companies do not like to upgrade lights unless they break and they also don't like to upgrade lightbulbs unless they break, even if newer lights or bulbs have better widgets and look good. Substitute computer terms for "lights" and "lightbulbs" and you have the situation for IT.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
For government this has reached hilarious levels of effort spent to actively avoid paying for IT stuff. Local governments where I live have transitioned to LibreOffice and sometimes even Linux to avoid buying new Office and Windows licenses when the old stuff is still needs suiting for the hugely complex and demanding tasks of "type numbers from tax return form into spreadsheet" and "reply to emails in email program write reply letters in word processor when angry taxpayers complain".

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
we are transitioning a ton to telework with Citrix, and with that its a bring your own PC affair. saves a ton on computer costs and it's all virtualized

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

theultimo posted:

we are transitioning a ton to telework with Citrix, and with that its a bring your own PC affair. saves a ton on computer costs and it's all virtualized

Citrix is good when it works which tbf is most of the time.

when it's not, hoo boy

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

That's why Microsoft is cool again.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/04/07/why-poets-are-flocking-to-silicon-valley/ posted:

Nonetheless, Cortana’s developers were concerned enough about playing into female stereotypes that they attempted to avoid them. The design, for instance, limits the number of times she apologizes and eschews self-deprecating remarks.

And despite the voice, the team insists that Cortana isn’t a woman. “She knows that gender is a biological construct, and since she’s not biological, she has no gender,” Harrison said. “She’s proud of her AI-ness.”

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

it's a coincidence that we named her after a big titty blue computer woman

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

Lampey, it's pretty clear that you've never worked at a real company that sold a real product, so let me spell it out for you here:

A company doesn't give a gently caress about the software you're using if you provide a service or product to them that is financially advantageous.

8<-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

when you are 'losing' millions of dollars in lost productivity due to upgrades there is a lot of room for improvement. eventually another company will come around that doesn't have to pay ibm for extended support on a bunch of mainframes and millions of consultants to keep the machines from dieing. they can offer the same service for much less money. unless the service you are selling is completely unique, it will be commoditized and the businesses that refuse to adapt will be left behind. the dinosaur carcass of your former emplyer will be ripped to shreds as the new company does a better job of what you used to for less money

Apr 7, 2003

lampey posted:

when you are 'losing' millions of dollars in lost productivity due to upgrades there is a lot of room for improvement. eventually another company will come around that doesn't have to pay ibm for extended support on a bunch of mainframes and millions of consultants to keep the machines from dieing. they can offer the same service for much less money. unless the service you are selling is completely unique, it will be commoditized and the businesses that refuse to adapt will be left behind. the dinosaur carcass of your former emplyer will be ripped to shreds as the new company does a better job of what you used to for less money

Your understanding of the situation is predicated on the idea that the only thing this company offers is a technology solution. That isn't true and never has been. The computing infrastructure is no more important than the lightbulbs being used; whatever does the job for the lowest price* will win.

(* When you have solid software with forty years of testing behind it, the lowest price may very well be that IBM contract. Forty years of testing is irreplaceable.)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

at last, yospos. it's here

2016: the year of linux on the desktop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

at last, yospos. it's here

2016: the year of linux on the desktop