Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it is a mean unforgiving sunuvabitch of a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Dias posted:

I completely missed Marvel 2's heyday, but isn't "relentless pressure even when comboed" something that's applicable to that game also? Although I suppose even my superficial understanding of both games makes it apparent that usually you finish your combos in MvC2.

Let's be honest though, there's two main issues with SG that made it unpopular: it's not Capcom and it has a cartoony look with a LOT of fanservice.

No only a few characters and only sometimes. a lot of combos end with supers or dhcs which place characters far away from one another. an example of resets and "relentless pressure even when comboed" is like if magnus is doing ROM @ you and then he keeps doing resets or something. a lot of the general idea of the gameflow of skullgirls seems to have been "every hit goes into the ROM infi from mvc2 but with every character from every hit and the combo takes three times the time to execute as the rom did"

watch like any mvc2 and if its not MSP vs MSP you're going to see a lot of neutral game happening. even when it IS msp vs msp you'll probably see a lot of neutral game.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Buckwheat Sings posted:

What does it get wrong? I'm just curious since this stuff is fun. I know the obvious one is ease up on the pedo-cheesecake character designs. What are other ones?

This is 100% my own experience trip report experience. I owned it on PS3 and I dont know that much about it, but I can speculate. They wanted to make a legit indie fighter based on the most popular fighter at the time (MVC2) and accomplished that pretty well in their own way but even the best fighter cant exist without a playerbase. So in order to get exposure they went with that artstyle or hired a prominent hentai artist or whatever ( I have no idea, just guessing.) It generated sales and popularity, but the problem is if you go online it takes like 20 minutes to get a match (even some years ago when it was at evo,) as it turns out most of the playerbase it attracted prefer the singleplayer, mostly playing with one hand if you get what I mean. It seemed like it would be a good game to learn at the time and cheap, but honestly thinking back to it, I dont think Id ever confess to owning it in a public setting even among videogame nerds, maybe if they are hardcore anime nerds that aren't phased by anything, but thats about it. The game itself isn't particularly amazing, it's impressive for an indie fighter, systems and artwise, but impressive is just not enough unfortunately. If you've been into fighting games for a while, your standards for what's worth your time are going to be unreasonable. Sure I'll play Jackie Chan or some obscure SNES game or really any piece of poo poo fighter you'll hand me, but not long term. So, that's just a personal view of the game, I dont have a problem with the artstyle (it's their game after all) or the gameplay or even that the fanbase is minuscule, but I'll play bad SFV over it at the end of the day. It's just not that fun overall and the culmination of it's flaws just doesnt work for me and I bet others' had a similar experience. Even the people praising seem to find more reasons to not play it over other games for reasons that they never seem to list. Maybe it's super popular now on Steam, I wouldn't know, I won't pay for it twice just to find out.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Saint Freak posted:

I mean I think the real problem here is she jacked my loving combos that I've been working on since grade school.

This is next level.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

No only a few characters and only sometimes. a lot of combos end with supers or dhcs which place characters far away from one another. an example of resets and "relentless pressure even when comboed" is like if magnus is doing ROM @ you and then he keeps doing resets or something. a lot of the general idea of the gameflow of skullgirls seems to have been "every hit goes into the ROM infi from mvc2 but with every character from every hit and the combo takes three times the time to execute as the rom did"

watch like any mvc2 and if its not MSP vs MSP you're going to see a lot of neutral game happening. even when it IS msp vs msp you'll probably see a lot of neutral game.

I see. I think the main issue there really is how long it takes to kill off those resets. I watched a couple of GF sets for SG, and usually people get 20% off one character before a reset, so you're looking at four successful guesses at the very least to kill, which makes the pacing a bit off.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Stage one complete: artwork fitted into case. Now if only Focus Attack would ship my buttons and PCB...

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I can't speak for the upper end of that game, but Skullgirls is pretty fun to play with friends with a good tutorial mode that applies to every character; they even went back and toned down some of the cheesecake designs, not to mention there are characters (Big Band, Peacock, Beowulf, Eliza when not in neutral I guess :v:) that don't go for that sort of prurient intent.

If you aren't sure, try and borrow it from a friend on Steam who owns it and give it a shot.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

I completely missed Marvel 2's heyday, but isn't "relentless pressure even when comboed" something that's applicable to that game also?

No. There are specific circumstances where you should expect your opponent to go for a reset (kind of like MvC3, in the rare case that you actually have to do a reset instead of just killing them outright), and you will usually know vaguely what kind of reset they're going to go for. There are still nasty ones because that's the point of a reset, but it's not like Skullgirls where every character is designed to have like 4 to 8 way poo poo that they can restand you into at any time.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Its starting to dawn on me that once you break through to Ultra Bronze and beyond the amount of rage quitting increases exponentially.

I just "won" 3-4 matches that ended with the enemy disconnecting in a row.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
The reset potential in Skullgirls is truly ludicrous. I did alright online just playing peacock but I'd imagine the setplay has gotten to a pretty high standard for whoever's left by now.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Had my first draw in ranked today. We both lost points. I'm not too salty but what could be the reasoning behind that?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
If you're not winning you're losing.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Seizure Robot posted:

Had my first draw in ranked today. We both lost points. I'm not too salty but what could be the reasoning behind that?

Relegate both teams.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
KaceyTron owns, she is legitimately good at what she does, and the best part is that there are total marks who are not in on the joke

Also, 3S Alex player renic has apparently picked up SF5 and streams from time to time, if anyone wants to look out for that: https://www.twitch.tv/r_e_n_i_c/v/58905078

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
problems with skullgirls can boil down to it being some hosed up frankenstien of cvs2, marvel 2 and guilty gear but without any of the individual things that make those games good, only the stupid parts

NecroMonster posted:

alpha counter

i always call these guard cancels

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

darealkooky posted:

i always call these guard cancels

Combo breakers :classiclol:

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Seizure Robot posted:

Gotten that once, both of us jumped and light jabbed at the exact same time so we both swatted each other out of the air and died.

I also got a time out draw, I have a feeling I'll never ever see that again, because what is the likelihood of two different characters's health being the same as the time ticked to 0 is insanely small.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

So what are those lines for anyway. Sometimes it looks like 3 dots connected with lines instead.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Regardless of any gameplay decisions, balance issues, or character design, SFV is a pretty crappy piece of software.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

So what are those lines for anyway. Sometimes it looks like 3 dots connected with lines instead.

i have no clue and i spent a couple hours trying to find out

ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!
There's a thread on Reddit talking about it but nobody really knows:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/comments/4dn5zm/one_of_sf5s_netcode_mysteries_solved_game_not/

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
hey update I quit necalli because I can't get a 10% success rate on literally his simplest combo

edit: mad at video games

ellbent fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 9, 2016

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

ellbent posted:

hey update I quit necalli because I can't get a 10% success rate on literally his simplest combo

lmbo

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
How the hell did you play SF4 Cody at all if you can't do a combo in this game.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

ellbent posted:

What part are you having trouble with? The Disc's Guidance?

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

ellbent posted:

h-how

e: my execution is bad enough that I can't play guilty gear or marvel or whatever the gently caress so this is rich coming from me, but really

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

bhsman posted:

What part are you having trouble with? The Disc's Guidance?

Just the Disc Guidance. I either can't link it in time (blocked), or it doesn't come out at all, or I just do a st.LP. Sometimes I'll pull it off three times in a row no problem, then I'll gently caress it up the next ten.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
hold down back as the stomp comes out and then you'll have enough charge after doing the crMP to hit the slash! it is literally impossible to link so I don't know why you'd ever want to do that

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Isn't Necalli's easiest combo just cr. mk into low stomp?

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

ellbent posted:

Do you know the difference between a link and a cancel? The s.MP to cr.MP is a link, meaning the s.MP animates completely before you hit the cr.MP. If cr.MP doesn't come out it means you pressed the button too early and if cr.MP came out but didn't combo it means you did it too late. There's no trick to hitting links, you just have to play around with and adjust the timing until you find it and then drill it into your memory. cr.MP xx Disc's Guidance is a cancel, meaning you input the command for the special in the middle of the cr.MP to cancel it.

First, forget about the s.MP and just practice canceling cr.MP into Disc's Guidance. Practice it raw, off a jump-in, and on both sides. When you have it down 100%, practice the s.MP into cr.MP link without the Disc's Guidance. Again, there's no tricks to links; just grind it out. When you have the link down try putting the whole thing together.

If you give up on this you're not going to have much success switching to other characters because nearly the entire cast depends on this "medium -> medium xx special" type of combo.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It sounds like you're just not used to charge. always be charging isn't as pick up and play as it sounds:shrug:

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
5HP 236MK[1] MP 6LP

Press the Heavy Punch button, then as fast as possible input quarter circle forward and Medium Kick. Immediately start holding downback. Continue holding downback as you press Medium Punch after the stomp recovers. Right after pressing medium punch press forward and Light Punch.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Gonna go have a sandwich or something before I get back to it. Not actually quitting, just getting mad over nothing. I'll try to keep any further problems to PMs so I don't air my complete incompetence at basic charges in a thread that is not titled 'Let's Teach Street Fighter V'

Probably should have specified what I was talking about, I did mean st.MP -> cr.MP xx LP Disc, not cr.MK xx LK stomp (which yeah, holds the crown for easiest necalli) -- the latter is super easy, I get links and cancels and the difference there, just having trouble with execution of the former is all.

ellbent fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 9, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ellbent posted:

Gonna go have a sandwich or something before I get back to it. Not actually quitting, just getting mad over nothing. I'll try to keep any further problems to PMs so I don't air my complete incompetence at basic charges in a thread that is not titled 'Let's Teach Street Fighter V'

Getting used to holding charge when you start a combo takes a while, dude, it's okay. As soon as you get past that wall, it's smooth sailing.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

ellbent posted:

Probably should have specified what I was talking about, I did mean st.MP -> cr.MP xx LP Disc, not cr.MK xx LK stomp (which yeah, holds the crown for easiest necalli) -- the latter is super easy, I get links and cancels and the difference there, just having trouble with execution of the former is all.

Nobody here would be upset with you saying you're frustrated, we're here to help.

I'll echo what others have said and just practice canceling cr.MP into LP Disc until you can do it consistently.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Well, I mean if you have a problem with a specific part of a combo practice that. If you are having trouble doing a special move, practice the special move. Yes, grind LP disc over and over until you memorize the input timing/minimum charge time allowed. There's no other way. You'll never wake up being able to do it without grinding.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007
It's OK to ask for help in the SFV thread. You don't have to take it to PMs. :)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fruitsnacks posted:

It's OK to ask for help in the SFV thread. You don't have to take it to PMs. :)

Are you sure about that? Most requests for help get responded to with "lol"

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

A.o.D. posted:

Actually they get responded to with a few paragraphs of well worded guidance and then the guy who asked for advice gets pissy about being called braindead when nobody called him that

lol