Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

You probably saw Sisters by accident.

Is it too late to rewrite that Tomb Raider script and have Tina Fey and Amy Poehler play Lara and Laura Croft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rhyno posted:

I'm saying she is a wooden, untalented actress who was cast because of her vague resemblance to two prior SW actresses.

Perfect for Lara Croft.

I thought she was fine in TFA :shobon:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

Is it too late to rewrite that Tomb Raider script and have Tina Fey and Amy Poehler play Lara and Laura Croft?

In the fakest British accent they can muster.

I don't know how playing Lara Croft be considered a that much of a downgrade for Ridley. Wasn't one of her early roles playing a naked corpse on an autopsy table?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

site posted:

I hope Daisy's not in tomb raider because that movie will suck and she doesn't deserve to get drug down so early in her career.

A rawer and more toned down Tomb Raider compared to the two Jolie movies would probably be really good but it will be overblown crap like those two movies. The 2013 Tomb Raider game that restarted the character has a few small nods to First Blood in the early game, a Tomb Raider flick closer to like First Blood or The Hunted with light supernatural stuff in it could make for a rad movie that would still be unique compared to the general action adventure flick.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Mordiceius posted:

Finally saw Kingsmen.

What a delightful movie.

It was the best spy movie released that year.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Can someone explain whats up with Ike Perlmutter? First I'm hearing the name and not sure what I'm looking for on Google.

Other people have answered this but essentially he was one of the 'Creative committee' at Marvel while Kevin Feige was the go-between. He was notoriously tight fisted, even while Marvel movies were an extraordinary success and has made it a headache for some filmmakers (The whole Ant-Man debacle was essentially a fight between Edgar Wright and the creative committee). He supposedly told people that "black people look the same" when discussing Don Cheadle replacing Terence Howard. He made his money in toys, and was reportedly the reason that no Black Widow figures existed, because as he believed it girls didn't buy toys.

When Disney bought Marvel the creative committee was disbanded and Perlmutter was given a role overseeing the comic and TV side of the business and is allegedly the main reason why there's no crossover. As the article noted, it's easier for Marvel to strike a deal with a separate studio than it is with themselves

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Bohemian Rhapsody and Ballroom Blitz, now SS just needs a Feed My Frankenstein trailer to compete the Wayne's World trifecta.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bring back old gbs posted:

Daaaaang maybe the Joker = Robin rumor/speculation is true.

Eh, according to the supposed leaks. Batman had a hand in the Squad's formation and Katana works for him as his spy on the team.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

You probably saw Sisters by accident.

You keep on mistaking Ridley for Portman in Phantom Menace.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

Other people have answered this but essentially he was one of the 'Creative committee' at Marvel while Kevin Feige was the go-between. He was notoriously tight fisted, even while Marvel movies were an extraordinary success and has made it a headache for some filmmakers (The whole Ant-Man debacle was essentially a fight between Edgar Wright and the creative committee). He supposedly told people that "black people look the same" when discussing Don Cheadle replacing Terence Howard. He made his money in toys, and was reportedly the reason that no Black Widow figures existed, because as he believed it girls didn't buy toys.

When Disney bought Marvel the creative committee was disbanded and Perlmutter was given a role overseeing the comic and TV side of the business and is allegedly the main reason why there's no crossover. As the article noted, it's easier for Marvel to strike a deal with a separate studio than it is with themselves

Perlmutter was never a committee member; the committee was entirely staffed by Marvel writers. Talent's problem with Perlmutter was more that pumping for a little bit more money once they laid out the budget was next to impossible and he would also often, with Feige, essentially re-edit the pictures without input from them. This is the sort of stuff that has put him at cross points with Downey, who is big on letting directors and editors and other talent do what they're hired to do. It's why his post-Iron Man contract renegotiation gave him things like a full-fledged producer's power on his future Marvel movies (which is how Shane Black even got the chair for IM3 - Downey wanted to pay him back for hiring him at a low point in his career as well as basically guruing the first Iron Man into what it was) and why he's constantly wielded the power he's had in the company to do things like knock his co-star's pay up for Avengers sequels. When Downey slipped into Cap 3 (which he negotiated himself into through Disney directly), Perlmutter wanted to kill his contract since Downey isn't cheap ($30 million and first-dollar gross points - and that's not including producer's pay) and with him joining the cast a lot of Perlmutter's control went out the window (because, again, RDJ in the cast puts him and Susan, his wife, in producer roles as per his standard contract these days).

As you can imagine, that was the thing Feige was able to bring to Horn to oust Perlmutter from the film side of the company and make the direct line of ascension for Marvel movies be Feige -> Horn instead. Because what better way to look like a lunatic than to scream about wanting to gut the golden goose of the company because it wants to lay more eggs. When this happened and Feige was put at the head of film production for Marvel, he disbanded the creative committee. But that committee was around well into the Disney era and probably still exists to a degree for the TV side of things (at least for Agents of SHIELD).

Otherwise, the other Perlmutter stuff - the "black people" comment, the refusal to produce Black Widow or Peggy Carter toys until the last year or so, the penny-pinching and whatnot - yeah, that's all true. He's the reason Favreau dumped out on directing Avengers after IM2 got railroaded, why Branagh and even Joe Johnston walked away despite options available for both to do Thor and Cap sequels, and why at this point it's incredibly difficult for Marvel to get directors above a certain level to make their movies - Ryan Coogler is probably their first director since Branagh with some real acclaim behind him coming in. Most directors have learned a lesson about getting caught in the Marvel machine.

It's also why Lucasfilm is operating in a completely different direction, with a wide berth for creatives to work in (which would make sense given Kathleen Kennedy's career basically being Amblin and Kennedy/Marshall, both of which operated under that dogma and were quite successful).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Eh, according to the supposed leaks. Batman had a hand in the Squad's formation and Katana works for him as his spy on the team.

That would make sense based on the comic book version of that character.

The Cameo posted:

Perlmutter was never a committee member; the committee was entirely staffed by Marvel writers. Talent's problem with Perlmutter was more that pumping for a little bit more money once they laid out the budget was next to impossible and he would also often, with Feige, essentially re-edit the pictures without input from them. This is the sort of stuff that has put him at cross points with Downey, who is big on letting directors and editors and other talent do what they're hired to do. It's why his post-Iron Man contract renegotiation gave him things like a full-fledged producer's power on his future Marvel movies (which is how Shane Black even got the chair for IM3 - Downey wanted to pay him back for hiring him at a low point in his career as well as basically guruing the first Iron Man into what it was) and why he's constantly wielded the power he's had in the company to do things like knock his co-star's pay up for Avengers sequels. When Downey slipped into Cap 3 (which he negotiated himself into through Disney directly), Perlmutter wanted to kill his contract since Downey isn't cheap ($30 million and first-dollar gross points - and that's not including producer's pay) and with him joining the cast a lot of Perlmutter's control went out the window (because, again, RDJ in the cast puts him and Susan, his wife, in producer roles as per his standard contract these days).

As you can imagine, that was the thing Feige was able to bring to Horn to oust Perlmutter from the film side of the company and make the direct line of ascension for Marvel movies be Feige -> Horn instead. Because what better way to look like a lunatic than to scream about wanting to gut the golden goose of the company because it wants to lay more eggs. When this happened and Feige was put at the head of film production for Marvel, he disbanded the creative committee. But that committee was around well into the Disney era and probably still exists to a degree for the TV side of things (at least for Agents of SHIELD).

Otherwise, the other Perlmutter stuff - the "black people" comment, the refusal to produce Black Widow or Peggy Carter toys until the last year or so, the penny-pinching and whatnot - yeah, that's all true. He's the reason Favreau dumped out on directing Avengers after IM2 got railroaded, why Branagh and even Joe Johnston walked away despite options available for both to do Thor and Cap sequels, and why at this point it's incredibly difficult for Marvel to get directors above a certain level to make their movies - Ryan Coogler is probably their first director since Branagh with some real acclaim behind him coming in. Most directors have learned a lesson about getting caught in the Marvel machine.

It's also why Lucasfilm is operating in a completely different direction, with a wide berth for creatives to work in (which would make sense given Kathleen Kennedy's career basically being Amblin and Kennedy/Marshall, both of which operated under that dogma and were quite successful).

Note also that Favreau and Branagh continue making movies for Disney after leaving Marvel, possibly as part of their deal with the company, implying that the problem is with the Marvel side.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 9, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Electromax posted:

Bohemian Rhapsody and Ballroom Blitz, now SS just needs a Feed My Frankenstein trailer to compete the Wayne's World trifecta.

Lol

This is completely tangential but I like the story that they wanted him to play School's Out and he was basically like "nah I'm gonna play one of my new songs"

Forget Stan Lee cameos, Alice Cooper should be in every comic book movie

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cythereal posted:

Well, they did that in Justice League Elite with Cassandra Cain instead of Katana, so I guess it could work.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

The Cameo posted:

I love the idea that Marvel movies are successful and mostly good even when one rich, stupid, rear end in a top hat tries to sabotage.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

I rewatched MoS today. Hated it the first time around but after the incredible shitshow that was BvS suddenly it didn't seem so bad?? Now my hopes are that Justice League will be even worse so BvS magically becomes watchable.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Ironically, the only reason these movies even exist the way they do is because the same guy managed to convince Lehman Brothers to give Marvel Enterprises the $750 million loan that let them produce the Phase 1 films, and that was basically him going "look, I licensed out these two properties (X-Men and Spider-Man) and they've more than returned any investment you would be placing on this by themselves. I have like ten properties here that could do the same."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The first critic comments about Civil War are starting to come out. They are just able to give Twitter comments, but full reviews should be out soon.

The biggest points:

- Overall impression is very good.
- Chadwick Boseman, Spiderman, and William Hurt all have relatively small, but breakout roles.
- Spiderman is only in the movie for about 10-15 minutes, but he is getting a lot of praise.
- Lots of people commenting that Marvel has finally made a movie where the 3rd act is by far the strongest act. The climax scene is getting rave reviews and apparently has not been shown in any preview material yet.
- There are multiple ending stingers.
- People are noting that Chris Evans gives a really emotional performance and that his dialogue scenes are much better than his action scenes.
- Paul Rudd has great dialogue and physical performances.
- Some people are upset and some are happy, but they are saying that the movie is 50% Cap, 30% Tony, and 20% all other characters. So, it is definitely a Cap and Tony focused movie and the other characters all have around 10-15 minutes of screentime in a 2:35 movie. Don't expect tons of Scarlet Witch, Spiderman, or Vision.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The first critic comments about Civil War are starting to come out. They are just able to give Twitter comments, but full reviews should be out soon.

The biggest points:

- Lots of people commenting that Marvel has finally made a movie where the 3rd act is by far the strongest act. The climax scene is getting rave reviews and apparently has not been shown in any preview material yet.

That's great to hear, those were my biggest concerns going into Civil War

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

I'm glad that Marvel is continuing the trend of good and enjoyable films, unlike that other comic books company..

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Yoshifan823 posted:

That said, I feel like I don't buy Batman being in SS that much, unless "more prominent" means that his specter looms large over the movie. We know he's in the movie in some aspect related to the Joker, it would totally make sense if a bunch of the other guys have had run-ins with The Bat.

The Suicide Squad animated movie "Assault on Arkham"(prequel to the Arkahm games), has a lot of Batman in it. This movie at least seems partially inspired by it so I wouldnt be suprised if they incorporate Batman in a similar way.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, they did that in Justice League Elite with Cassandra Cain instead of Katana, so I guess it could work.

There is also a connection with the two of them through Batman and the Outsiders, so that makes a lot of sense.

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

That's great to hear, those were my biggest concerns going into Civil War

Yeah same exact reaction here.

I'm a little interested to see how the reaction to Spider-Man will contrast with the reaction to Wonder Woman since it seems like they have similar roles (show stealers who are only in the film for a few scenes) but I will keep it in my pants until then.

Doflamingo posted:

I'm glad that Marvel is continuing the trend of good and enjoyable films, unlike that other comic books company..

Hey now, Spawn was pretty bad but I'm sure with the success of the Walking Dead Image comics will be making a major comeback anytime now!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AccountSupervisor posted:

The Suicide Squad animated movie "Assault on Arkham"(prequel to the Arkahm games), has a lot of Batman in it. This movie at least seems partially inspired by it so I wouldnt be suprised if they incorporate Batman in a similar way.

Interactions between Bats and The Wall are usually pretty good.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The biggest points:

- Overall impression is very good.
- Chadwick Boseman, Spiderman, and William Hurt all have relatively small, but breakout roles.
- Spiderman is only in the movie for about 10-15 minutes, but he is getting a lot of praise.
- There are multiple ending stingers.
- People are noting that Chris Evans gives a really emotional performance and that his dialogue scenes are much better than his action scenes.
- Paul Rudd has great dialogue and physical performances.
- Some people are upset and some are happy, but they are saying that the movie is 50% Cap, 30% Tony, and 20% all other characters. So, it is definitely a Cap and Tony focused movie and the other characters all have around 10-15 minutes of screentime in a 2:35 movie. Don't expect tons of Scarlet Witch, Spiderman, or Vision.

I wish someone kept track of initial Twitter reactions of all of these movies, because I feel like every time we get "oh man this is my new favorite Marvel movie" and I really hope that the people who said that about Age of Ultron were just excited they got to see it first.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Anyone who reads early reactions and expects actual information that matters from them is really dumb. Every comic book movie's early reactions are that its the best one ever, including BvS.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I want someone to spoil that poo poo for me, but I'm too lazy to go out and look for it. I hope the FYAD guys are on the case, I wouldn't mind knowing who dies this time.

Of course, knowing FYAD they'll read this post and be like "well poo poo he's figured out our game time to spite him and not say a word"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spoiler: If anyone dies it's going to be Captain America whereupon Bucky will take over until Captain America returns to help fight Thanos or something.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

GonSmithe posted:

Anyone who reads early reactions and expects actual information that matters from them is really dumb. Every comic book movie's early reactions are that its the best one ever, including BvS.

The First Impressions Of Avengers: Age Of Ultron Are Out: Surprise, Everyone Loves It.

"#AgeOfUltron might be the most true to the comic movie ever. So many images taken right off the page that made me faint with joy. ... Thor is hilarious and Scarlet Witch kicks so much rear end."
-Alex Zalben (works for Marvel Comics)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Being true to the comic would be a pretty bad thing. If Cap dies though I hope they skip over Bucky and go straight to Captain Falcon.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
spider man dies

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

Look I heard there's very little Vision so it's already better than AoU for me

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

hahahaha

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Red Skull returns and says "Die Spider-Man! Die" And everyone is about to fight him but then he explains that it's German for "The Spider-Man! The!"

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

ImpAtom posted:

Spoiler: If anyone dies it's going to be Captain America whereupon Bucky will take over until Captain America returns to help fight Thanos or something.
They are not going to ditch Chris Evans. That could them millions in ticket sales.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kurzon posted:

They are not going to ditch Chris Evans. That could them millions in ticket sales.

Nah they just throw him alive in the surprise reveal at the end of the Avengers 3 trailer and people would line up. Also I think Captain Falcon would move a shitload of tickets. Black Captain America? People would go nuts and mostly in a good way.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It's not a question of whether they'll ditch Chris Evans, it's a question of whether he'll ditch them. Doesn't his contract end after phase 3?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

greatn posted:

Being true to the comic would be a pretty bad thing. If Cap dies though I hope they skip over Bucky and go straight to Captain Falcon.

The last scene will be of his coffin, then for a split second Vita-Rays will come off it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Gyges posted:

The last scene will be of his coffin, then for a split second Vita-Rays will come off it.

Would unironically be movie of the year.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Gyges posted:

still can't believe the origin for this joke happened

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

It's not a question of whether they'll ditch Chris Evans, it's a question of whether he'll ditch them. Doesn't his contract end after phase 3?

It was supposed to, but IIRC his contract and RDJ's got an extension for Infinity War.

Plus he's pushing pretty hard to stay on for the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Scyantific posted:

It was supposed to, but IIRC his contract and RDJ's got an extension for Infinity War.

Plus he's pushing pretty hard to stay on for the role.

Didn't the switch in control of Marvel Movies make a huge difference with a lot of the people who were talking about leaving, or was it just the dump trucks full of money?

• Locked thread