Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I'm looking for a way to record HD/lossless video and audio from my Droid Turbo 2, ideally in a way that would let me hook up to my Elgato HD60 via HDMI but I'm not sure if that's an option at this point. The phone has no HDMI output and I don't think it's MHL capable either, also screen recording apps on the App Store suck since none of them can access system audio thanks to Google.

Also looked into Chromecast and apparently that's hot garbage too. What are my options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The Dark One posted:

I plugged my Moto G in and the reported charge shot up immediately to 100%. I rebooted it and it still reported 95%.

Is this a sign my battery is failing?

Nah. However, it does look like something is generating activity that is keeping your phone awake. I'd look into that.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The Dark One posted:

I plugged my Moto G in and the reported charge shot up immediately to 100%. I rebooted it and it still reported 95%.

Is this a sign my battery is failing?

I'd let it run down until the phone turns off, then charge it (while it's still off). It seems to recalibrate the fuel gauge when it's messing around

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Putty posted:

Also looked into Chromecast and apparently that's hot garbage too. What are my options?

Chromecast owns, sorry.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

withoutclass posted:

Chromecast owns, sorry.
It does, but not for "HD/lossless" screen mirroring.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tunga posted:

Doesn't it basically do full-on encoding/streaming from within the browser extension? That's probably more than the engine can handle, especially if you're mirroring any kind of video.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Kytrarewn posted:

Verizon really wants me to upgrade from my Droid Turbo to one of their newer options, and, in exchange, are offering an unneeded boost to our family plan's bandwidth if I should do so, but it's a bit of a bitter pill given that we've already got 4GB of overhead (We have an 18GB plan, on the worst month ever for bandwidth we managed to hit 14, but typically stick right around 10-12 with 5 or so lines).

My turbo is probably the best smartphone I've ever had, but any time you can get something "free" out of verizon, it's worth considering.

I need long battery run-time, and so I'm mostly considering Turbo2 vs. S7edge. I also need Bluetooth LE, so the HTC M9 isn't even being considered.

My major complaint with my Turbo has been the weakness of the Bluetooth+wifi chip, which loses connection if you have more than a couple things running at once, such as Car phone connection + Smartwatch + YaV1 + Wifi enabled, you'll lose connection to any of the above randomly and usually at the worst possible times.

Has this been improved upon in either the Turbo2 or the S7 Edge?

I own the Turbo 2 but I don't know if I've ever had a situation like that.

For what it's worth, I haven't had any issues with Bluetooth/Wi-Fi when streaming music from the internet to my phone over Wi-Fi and then having that music played on the Bluetooth speaker my phone is paired to.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Quick Charge

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I gather from doing a thread search that this is a crapshot to ask but:

Anyone know of a newerish phone (2014-2016) that someone made a keyboard case for so it least somewhat would resemble an old Galaxy S4 Relay / SIdekick?

Failing that I was looking at the prices and the Nexus 6 seems fine for the price I could find it for online, less there's something else I could get around $200 that's better?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Just got a Nexus 5X, where's the best source for more cables? Ideally both short and long from the same place - amazon? monoprice? newegg? - but I'd settle for two places with free shipping.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Just got a Nexus 5X, where's the best source for more cables? Ideally both short and long from the same place - amazon? monoprice? newegg? - but I'd settle for two places with free shipping.

I got these instead of buying all new cables. Throw one in your wallet/purse and you'll be able to charge wherever you go since micro-USB is so ubiquitous.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

LethalGeek posted:

Anyone know of a newerish phone (2014-2016) that someone made a keyboard case for so it least somewhat would resemble an old Galaxy S4 Relay / SIdekick?
Samsung has portrait-mode keyboard cases for the S5, S6 & S7. Third-party landscape-mode keyboards appear to exist, but I don't know if they are any good.

There's also the Blackberry Priv, the only recent Android phone with a built-in keyboard. It is quite expensive, though.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Grey Area posted:

Samsung has portrait-mode keyboard cases for the S5, S6 & S7. Third-party landscape-mode keyboards appear to exist, but I don't know if they are any good.

There's also the Blackberry Priv, the only recent Android phone with a built-in keyboard. It is quite expensive, though.

As a note - the Priv recently got a price cut ( in Canada at least ) by $100. I can't help myself so since I have a free upgrade waiting for me and nothing else this generation ( other than maybe the G5 ) is appealing, I pulled the trigger.

I will post a trip report in a week or so if anyone cares, once I get it in hand and have had a chance to configure it.

Guts wise it's an 808 but w/ 3GB ram so it's relatively analog to my 5X only with BB skin on top ( and expandable memory! ), so I expect similar performance. So for me it will be more a question of if the keyboard is really worth it, and how the camera compares.

The bright-side is, that now is a relatively good time to get one as the Marshmallow update is coming out in a month or so. :unsmith:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The Nexus 6 still lack the feature to blink the notification light at you because Google had their heads up their rear end over such a simple feature? Or that get patched in finally?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LethalGeek posted:

The Nexus 6 still lack the feature to blink the notification light at you because Google had their heads up their rear end over such a simple feature? Or that get patched in finally?

If you're rooted you can use the notification light with LightFlow but be aware that the notification light sucks. It's to be expected considering it was never meant to be used but as it is it's far too bright, is only capable of producing a handful of colors (i.e. purple is very obviously blue and red) and it is constantly on when lit (no pulsing) including when the screen is on.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

If you're rooted you can use the notification light with LightFlow but be aware that the notification light sucks. It's to be expected considering it was never meant to be used but as it is it's far too bright, is only capable of producing a handful of colors (i.e. purple is very obviously blue and red) and it is constantly on when lit (no pulsing) including when the screen is on.

Did they ever explain the point of that light?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

The point is fairly obvious in that all Nexuses (save the S) have had one and they initially planned on having one in that device too. Then they decided that their Active Notification scheme was a better notification scheme* and abandoned it after the hardware was finalized. Now it's just vestigial.

What's weird is that Motorola has had that happen with other devices too, where there was an unused LED just... there. I think the original 2013 has a buried LED if I'm not mistaken. I'd be curious to know if the Nexus 6's twin, the Moto X Pro, has a functional LED (I'd doubt it).

*I would argue that it's a different notification scheme, not better, but given the way stock LED notifications work I can see why they'd argue the latter could replace the former.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

My Turbo also has vestigial led. I think I've only seen it come on when it is off and charging.

Unrelated, but the little near infrared sensors that assist hand detection are visible in a dark room if you look closely too.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I just replaced my ol' Xperia Z with a Z5C and now I'm sad because it feels like a piece of poo poo compared to the Z :(

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Doctor Butts posted:

I own the Turbo 2 but I don't know if I've ever had a situation like that.

For what it's worth, I haven't had any issues with Bluetooth/Wi-Fi when streaming music from the internet to my phone over Wi-Fi and then having that music played on the Bluetooth speaker my phone is paired to.

Pretty sure I'm going to wind up on a vanilla S7. A family member needs a new phone and to be added to my family plan, so given the current BOGO promotion, the choices come down to S7 or S7edge, and I really find it difficult to justify the additional 20% (28/mo vs. 33/mo) for a slightly bigger battery (I spend most of my time in my car with the phone on a charger) and different notification icons.

If I'm making a terrible mistake, please let me know (besides, of course, buying an upgrade 8 months early out of a phone that I actually like for the sake of bandwidth that has not to date been necessary, but who counts that, really...)

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

Kytrarewn posted:

Pretty sure I'm going to wind up on a vanilla S7. A family member needs a new phone and to be added to my family plan, so given the current BOGO promotion, the choices come down to S7 or S7edge, and I really find it difficult to justify the additional 20% (28/mo vs. 33/mo) for a slightly bigger battery (I spend most of my time in my car with the phone on a charger) and different notification icons.

If I'm making a terrible mistake, please let me know (besides, of course, buying an upgrade 8 months early out of a phone that I actually like for the sake of bandwidth that has not to date been necessary, but who counts that, really...)

I am in your boat in regards to the S7 or S7edge debate. Going to the verizon store today to get a feel for both of them.

Also, if i purchased through this deal (http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-now-available-discounted-price-599-us-2348995), would there be any difference in this than the phone i would by at Verizon?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Tunga posted:

Seriously, your animes will look just fine.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

703 posted:

Also, if i purchased through this deal (http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-now-available-discounted-price-599-us-2348995), would there be any difference in this than the phone i would by at Verizon?

From that article

quote:

The factory unlocked, discounted model is now available in Black Onyx and Platinum Gold colors. This is a GSM device and hence, it does not work under CDMA network.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

703 posted:

I am in your boat in regards to the S7 or S7edge debate. Going to the verizon store today to get a feel for both of them.

Verizon is offering a Buy One, Get One promotion if you add a line to your account for one of the phones. It's the kind of thing, though, that's not going to be terribly useful to too many people outside of specific situations (Kid turning 16, family member's phone breaks when they're ready for a contract upgrade, etc).

So that's $28/mo for 24 months via Edge for two phones. Is it less expensive than $600 flat-out, even for one phone? Yes, but it locks two people into Verizon contracts for two years, so take that as you will.

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

kitten smoothie posted:

From that article

And now I know what the difference between CDMA and GSM is.

Also, thanks for your response Kytrarewn.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Kytrarewn posted:

They are both nice phones. After having my S7 Edge for about a month, I say that I like it, but I also had to do a lot of customisation to get it where I liked it. The ATT version has a ton of bloatware, but most can be disabled. The default launcher is OK, but I still changed to Nova. Samsung has an app on their Galaxy App Store called Good Lock. It makes the notification tray and lock screen a lot nicer looking.

If I had it to do over, I might have gotten the non Edge version. I like the bigger screen size and bigger battery, but the Edge screen is a bit of a stupid gimmick, doesn't do anything to help usability, and absolutely requires a case to even be held.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The edge screen is definitely a gimmick and I'm glad I got the non-edge instead

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

CLAM DOWN posted:

The edge screen is definitely a gimmick and I'm glad I got the non-edge instead

Just got back from the Verizon store, and coming from a 2014 moto X, the edge was just too big.

I think I can handle the size increase to the regular s7.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What are some recommended apps for customizing the lock screen?

I want it to show the temperature, as well as the current time.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 9, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

AP did a 6P camera vs S7 camera thingy. http://goo.gl/juexXC

spoiler: 6P better photos (but really they're both pretty great), but S7 better software...particularly in how fast you can get a picture taken.

Mister Macys posted:

What are some recommended apps for customizing the lock screen?

I want it to show the temperature, as well as the current time.

The Android App thread.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Desk Lamp posted:

It's just for charging info when the battery is properly dead.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Thermopyle posted:

spoiler: 6P better photos (but really they're both pretty great), but S7 better software...particularly in how fast you can get a picture taken.

The Android App thread.

Whoops! :tipshat:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

The Android App thread.

He didn't mention autofocus, which also helps the S7 edge out most any other camera (even DSLRs) when you need a quick shot.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
My N5X started giving me new Google Now cards the other day. One had gas prices. That's cool, I thought, I'll use this information. Then I realize that it's not a location I recognize. I refresh -- it's giving me price per liters now. It's literally jumping from Canada, to London, to places I don't recognize, every time I refresh. Then it mysteriously goes away. It was also doing the same thing with FourSquare cards, naming weird businesses (I don't have the FourSquare app).

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah those are website based cards. The gas price thing might have been mildly useful or interesting except yeah it had the totally wrong location for me too.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Seriously, your animes will look just fine.
Cool, except that this is not at all what the poster was asking about.

I have a Chromecast and use it all the time and it is great at doing what it does. It isn't great for outputting lossless screen-mirrored recordable video from a device. It simply doesn't do that.

Nothing to do with anime and certainly nothing to do with my anime since I didn't ask the question.

Sorry that you can't read.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 10, 2016

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

nocal posted:

My N5X started giving me new Google Now cards the other day. One had gas prices. That's cool, I thought, I'll use this information. Then I realize that it's not a location I recognize. I refresh -- it's giving me price per liters now. It's literally jumping from Canada, to London, to places I don't recognize, every time I refresh. Then it mysteriously goes away. It was also doing the same thing with FourSquare cards, naming weird businesses (I don't have the FourSquare app).

Yeah, there must have been some weirdness that has since been dealt with. On Friday I had a card with a menu for a bar in Denver (by way of Foursquare) as well as a card with gas prices for Fort Lauderdale. A friend reported getting Canadian gas prices.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Tunga posted:

Sorry that you missed the joke. Unnecessary levels of butthurt.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tunga posted:

Cool, except that this is not at all what the poster was asking about.

I have a Chromecast and use it all the time and it is great at doing what it does. It isn't great for outputting lossless screen-mirrored recordable video from a device. It simply doesn't do that.

Nothing to do with anime and certainly nothing to do with my anime since I didn't ask the question.

Holy poo poo there's been jokes about greasy goon anime collections being behind the need for special-snowflake features on basically every page now and yes "lossless HD screen mirrored video" is some special snowflake poo poo, sorry you never read those pages or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Aren't jokes supposed to be funny though?

Like any time anyone asks a question about SD cards someone will fly in with a generic anime collection quip, and it's tiring to the max.