Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010
Pro tip for Birth of Sky: Don't dupe Locke. It ends poorly. Granted, it's hilarious until you realize that yeah the map is hosed, and even past that, but don't dupe Locke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

ClonedPickle posted:

Pro tip for Birth of Sky: Don't dupe Locke. It ends poorly. Granted, it's hilarious until you realize that yeah the map is hosed, and even past that, but don't dupe Locke.

If you set off two flares at the same time, Locke doesn't care:

At this point, you're probably thinking, "Great, this looks really efficient." And then you realize that the map is very, very broken:

Video

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

kalstrams posted:

Huh, that's intriguing. Alright, I'll just go for the loot and hope that gives me the numbers. Never really bothered to get my infamies on, but now that I've read through skill tree FAQ and previews, I may as well skim 2nd through 4th infamies for the sake of 4 extra skill point cap off the infamy for the new skill system.

Generally, newer heists will give you more XP for your time, though Firestarter and Rats have got pretty good rewards.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dr Cheeto posted:

Generally, newer heists will give you more XP for your time, though Firestarter and Rats have got pretty good rewards.
We did Rats and Firestarter yesterday indeed, these were reasonably good for my skilless guy on overkill (host crashed on the end of the first mission so I didn't get money). Are Rats and Hotline: Miamia triggers just secured loot, or is it something else, if this is known by any chance?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The long guide has information about the XP triggers on all but the newest heists, in addition to general info on how XP is rewarded under the "Appendix - Experience" header.

quote:

Hotline Miami:
Day 1: 26000

500 on correct HCl added (can be triggered several times).
1000 on securing bag (can be triggered several times).
Day 2: 14000
1000 on securing bag (can be triggered 10 times). Bags from the first day do not count.
2000 on defusing the C4 on the chair guy.

quote:

Rats:
Day 1:

12000 on escape if lab blown with less than 3 bags cooked.
30000 on escape if at least 3 bags cooked (and taken from the table; securing is not necessary).
40000 on escape if 7 bags cooked.
Day 2:
4000 on escape if intel burned.
6000 on escape if intel acquired.
4000 upon picking up intel and securing all meth that was brought.
I'm not linking Rats day 3 because there are some seriously goofy rules about when and if you get the XP for securing the money bags.

Regarding the reworked ghost tree, I didn't notice at first but thick skin ace now gives a concealment bonus to vests instead of additional armor. The LBV can hit the same concealment as the suit. Crook builds rejoice, you have more loadout flexibility!

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 9, 2016

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.

isndl posted:

You could take literally anything else in the tree for those four points and get more use out of it, though? :confused:

Of all the stuff that's left over to get Kilmer it's the most... Intriguing I guess? I don't use medpacks. Don't need zip ties. Hand guns and the band aid skills don't apply to me.

Here's my build if you wanna see an xbox1 plebe build. I use a JP and Mac 10. Rogue/ occasional infiltrator.

http://pd2skills.com/#/v3/mnkmhJEfGDa:eiGDa:tJEGbDa:grNOlHIjeFGCDa:fda:ibcdea:::

^^from the guide there is a funny one I remember on nightclub where you get more xp if you c4 the safes than if you pick them

swims fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 9, 2016

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Apparently (I have no verifiable source for this so take it with a shovel of salt) the current iteration of thick skin will be the ballistic vests' default armor value.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dr Cheeto posted:

The long guide has information about the XP triggers on all but the newest heists, in addition to general info on how XP is rewarded under the "Appendix - Experience" header.

I'm not linking Rats day 3 because there are some seriously goofy rules about when and if you get the XP for securing the money bags.
I see. Cheers! I have the Long Guide bookmarked, but I haven't read even through table of contents, since I was looking some stat thing for weapons when I found it. I should pobably familiarize myself with ToC at the very least.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

watho posted:

Apparently (I have no verifiable source for this so take it with a shovel of salt) the current iteration of thick skin will be the ballistic vests' default armor value.

This would be par for the course given the other changes they're making.

I mean, everyone's got fast hands, shinobi ace, dominator basic, and any unbonused deployable for free. That's crazy.

kalstrams posted:

I see. Cheers! I have the Long Guide bookmarked, but I haven't read even through table of contents, since I was looking some stat thing for weapons when I found it. I should pobably familiarize myself with ToC at the very least.

Don't dive too deep into it or you'll steal my gimmick go mad and start wearing long robes and making animal sacrifices to the gods of LUA

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

swims posted:

Of all the stuff that's left over to get Kilmer it's the most... Intriguing I guess? I don't use medpacks. Don't need zip ties. Hand guns and the band aid skills don't apply to me.

Here's my build if you wanna see an xbox1 plebe build. I use a JP and Mac 10. Rogue/ occasional infiltrator.

http://pd2skills.com/#/v3/mnkmhJEfGDa:eiGDa:tJEGbDa:grNOlHIjeFGCDa:fda:ibcdea:::

Have you ever had SS trigger properly? I don't know that I've ever seen it actually work.

Anyevent, I'm not sure what the goal of your spec is.

This gets you Aced Feedback, Aced Kilmer, Aced Stun Resistance, and Aced Inspire for good measure, mostly by dropping drill skills and cleaning up Ghost a little bit. I modded out the guns, not sure if that's to your liking but they should do. I don't have strong enough opinions about SMGs and bullethose ARs to give much insight.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dr Cheeto posted:

Don't dive too deep into it or you'll steal my gimmick go mad and start wearing long robes and making animal sacrifices to the gods of LUA
Yea, I'm now looking at Rats day 3 experience conditions:

quote:

14000 on securing bag if all 14 suitcases opened and total number of secured bags equals number of money bags found in the bus. If the players had secured 11 bags on the previous days and all suitcases contained money, the XP would be rewarded after securing 3 more bags from the bus. If the players had secured 11 bags on the previous days and less than 12 suitcases contained money, the XP cannot be awarded (the bags from the previous days cannot work because all suitcases need to be open; the money from the suitcases cannot work because, when throwing the first money bag into the helicopter, the total number of secured bags already exceeds the number of money bags found in the bus).
and it's not making much sense. I've done mission multiple times, both just intelligence trade and stealing 7 meth bags back from the gangsters, and I just can't make sense of what I have to do for maximal experience on the third day.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

kalstrams posted:

Yea, I'm now looking at Rats day 3 experience conditions:
and it's not making much sense. I've done mission multiple times, both just intelligence trade and stealing 7 meth bags back from the gangsters, and I just can't make sense of what I have to do for maximal experience on the third day.

Just pray to RNGesus, really. If the wrong number of bags spawn on day 3 there isn't anything you can do about it, and the bulk of the job experience is from cooking all the meth and stealing it back so you shouldn't change anything there to make it more likely you can get the bag bonus on day 3.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dr Cheeto posted:

Just pray to RNGesus, really. If the wrong number of bags spawn on day 3 there isn't anything you can do about it, and the bulk of the job experience is from cooking all the meth and stealing it back.
So if less than 12 suitcases contain money I'm hosed, I get that. What I do not get if there can be such condition where I get more experience by not securing all bags found in the bus?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

kalstrams posted:

So if less than 12 suitcases contain money I'm hosed, I get that. What I do not get if there can be such condition where I get more experience by not securing all bags found in the bus?

There is no such condition. Either open and secure all the cash or gently caress off to the escape as soon as the Mendozas are dead.

swims
May 5, 2014

I've had SS trigger a million times. It's all about staging the civs and knowing where theyre at. I honestly just kill any tied up civs with the exception of bank tellers. For style points though the only ones that matter are the construction workers on dogs and docks, escape civs and scientist.

The whole point of my build is any job any time. I know it's frowned upon- but console is different with less consistency of crews. Pick lock and ecm door are mandatory. Basically switching guns is the only thing needed from say forest to shadowraid.

I hate prefacing everything with "console" but the community is tiny, the game is super fast in between jobs and no one changes their builds between rounds. Inspire ace is for scrubs and scrub crews. Inspire basic is good though. Anyone in max armor is in the wrong room.

I get kicked a lot

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dr Cheeto posted:

There is no such condition. Either open and secure all the cash or gently caress off to the escape as soon as the Mendozas are dead.
I see. While I'm not sure who Mendozas are on the last day, I've never even bothered to pay attention to what I'm actually doing there beyond tossing the bags from the bus into the helicopter.

swims
May 5, 2014

Mendozas are the guys you kill that aren't cops

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

swims posted:

Inspire ace is for scrubs and scrub crews. Inspire basic is good though. Anyone in max armor is in the wrong room.

I get kicked a lot

What the gently caress is this, bizzarro Payday?

Getting kicked a lot from public lobbies is pretty familiar, though.

kalstrams posted:

I see. While I'm not sure who Mendozas are on the last day, I've never even bothered to pay attention to what I'm actually doing there beyond tossing the bags from the bus into the helicopter.

The gangsters on the bus you murder. You can escape immediately after killing them if you wish.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

swims posted:

Mendozas are the guys you kill that aren't cops

Dr Cheeto posted:

The gangsters on the bus you murder. You can escape immediately after killing them if you wish.
Oh, I see.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Getting kicked a lot from public lobbies is pretty familiar, though.
I wonder why he's getting kicked.

swims
May 5, 2014

I mainly host. When I say it's different, assume every player in the game is either coming from or about to go play Fifa or cod or destiny, etc. 99% of console players will inspire you in front of a cloaker or bully before killing them. I've been playing pd2 for a long time and I do go out of my way to help dudes learn the game.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

LuciferMorningstar posted:

At this point, you're probably thinking, "Great, this looks really efficient." And then you realize that the map is very, very broken:

Video

You don't say? Let me tell you about the time when a money bundle didn't spawn. Yet I had an interact prompt with an otherwise unfinishable heist.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Video

This is pretty great but can you get Chorse to upload his Shadowplay? It looks pretty cool from over there from what I can see.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

kalstrams posted:

Not exactly. I believe the trick is to not secure all the bags on day 2. Taking fewer bags of cash then translates to better odds on day 3.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

swims posted:

I mainly host. When I say it's different, assume every player in the game is either coming from or about to go play Fifa or cod or destiny, etc. 99% of console players will inspire you in front of a cloaker or bully before killing them. I've been playing pd2 for a long time and I do go out of my way to help dudes learn the game.

Inspiring someone in front of a cloaker is hilarious especially when the cloaker downs them again immediately.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thinking to try Masterforcer, as Inspire Ace does seem to be paramount given the quality of Russian pubbies. This is what I cobbled up, but I have no idea if it's not redundant somewhere and if I'm not missing something crucial, also if Muscle is the best perk deck for this and if there are some neat alternatives to M308.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Assuming you have the proper DLC, the DMR kit for the AMR-16 rifle is more than competitive with the M308, but the 308 is very good. If you're in ICTV Muscle is probably the strongest perk deck in the game, so go for it. I switch between LBV grinder and ICTV muscle, personally.

Also while we're on the subject it's my opinion that the best way to play Rats is essentially "just secure everything and get on with it" so if you can, cook all 7 bags on day 1, get the intel on day 2, then steal your meth back. I'd further suggest just securing all bags on day 2 and then securing all bags on day 3. Yes, there's an RNG-based chance you might get fewer bags on day 3 than you need but it's not, in my experience, very likely -- anyone ran into that problem frequently enough to notice? There's also an RNG based chance the gangsters will betray you or whatever. Each individual instance of Rats isn't critical to min-max because you'll likely play it enough times so as for it not to matter in the long run.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I really like the DMR G3. It handles well and does great damage with good pickup.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

swims posted:

I've had SS trigger a million times. It's all about staging the civs and knowing where theyre at. I honestly just kill any tied up civs with the exception of bank tellers. For style points though the only ones that matter are the construction workers on dogs and docks, escape civs and scientist.

The whole point of my build is any job any time. I know it's frowned upon- but console is different with less consistency of crews. Pick lock and ecm door are mandatory. Basically switching guns is the only thing needed from say forest to shadowraid.

I hate prefacing everything with "console" but the community is tiny, the game is super fast in between jobs and no one changes their builds between rounds. Inspire ace is for scrubs and scrub crews. Inspire basic is good though. Anyone in max armor is in the wrong room.

I get kicked a lot

I design my builds to be capable of handling any heist, so that's nothing new. Calling lockpicking and ECMs mandatory is odd in my opinion since they're only clearly advantageous on specific heists and sometimes only if the whole lobby is bringing them. All you 'need' is Shinobi or Hidden Blade so you can kill dudes without setting off alerts, everything else is gravy.

Inspire Ace isn't bad just because people are idiots about using it, it's still one of the most powerful skills in the game. I do find it amusing that you're talking about Stockholm Syndrome triggering a million times and then saying 'anyone in max armor is in the wrong room', when your build has no dodge bonuses and I don't believe Grinder is available for console. Maybe it wouldn't be triggering if you had some kind of defense to avoid going down all the time?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

kalstrams posted:

Thinking to try Masterforcer, as Inspire Ace does seem to be paramount given the quality of Russian pubbies. This is what I cobbled up, but I have no idea if it's not redundant somewhere and if I'm not missing something crucial, also if Muscle is the best perk deck for this and if there are some neat alternatives to M308.

I tweaked it.

Starting with ghost, acing fast hands is way more important than acing cat burglar. Aced cat burglar is a good skill but you get most of the utility from the basic version, while fast hands stacks with itself very well and with the number of bags you're moving on most heists it's important to have.

Mastermind needed some tweaking. Dominator ace doesn't get you much: shout distance for anything that isn't inspire gets increased but cops aren't any easier to dominate. I moved some of the low-tier points to ace control freak, which allows you to buy keycards and expert driver if you wish. Having civilians keeping their heads down is nice on bank maps as well, it makes it easier to keep them alive. Combat medic really isn't great, the extra health amounts to nothing and the damage bonus is nice but you shouldn't be inspiring often enough for it to be reliable. Kilmer ace is a fun skill but having double-stuffed medbags is more important, the accuracy bonus isn't much and the 308 really doesn't need additional accuracy anyhow.

With the leftover points I got nerves of steel basic, which is a great skill to have around. Completing objectives in a gunfight is a lot more comfortable with a whopping 50% DR, and it's basically mandatory if you choose to run without inspire ace as it makes manually reviving people in the open a lot easier.

As for perk decks, muscle is the best. Armorer, infiltrator, and gambler are also good.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Psion posted:

Also while we're on the subject it's my opinion that the best way to play Rats is essentially "just secure everything and get on with it" so if you can, cook all 7 bags on day 1, get the intel on day 2, then steal your meth back. I'd further suggest just securing all bags on day 2 and then securing all bags on day 3. Yes, there's an RNG-based chance you might get fewer bags on day 3 than you need but it's not, in my experience, very likely -- anyone ran into that problem frequently enough to notice? There's also an RNG based chance the gangsters will betray you or whatever. Each individual instance of Rats isn't critical to min-max because you'll likely play it enough times so as for it not to matter in the long run.

I'm in full agreement. I haven't tried to crunch the numbers, but my experience is that the scenario the long guide mentions where you get too few bags on day 3 is very rare.

Besides, if you're grinding XP, you should just be running Farmer Miserable runs back-to-back, right? :v:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

On Pro Deathwish, obviously.

Or just cook enough bags on Cookoff until you hit 100 in a single run.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thanks! I did take Kilmer Ace and not Combat Doctor Ace because I plan to carry only ammo bags on me (I always play with buddy who has Combat Doctor Ace), something I forgot to mention, but it doesn't look like there's anything better to put points into either way, if Kilmer Ace is redundant for M308 or DMR suggested earlier.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Sprinting and reloading is nice but I don't really find it necessary as a skill. The accuracy bonus while moving isn't particularly useful since it's not enough to counteract the massive accuracy penalty that will be there in the first place.

If you don't really use pistols there's not much else to take though.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 9, 2016

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

UnknownMercenary posted:

Sprinting and reloading is nice but I don't really find it necessary as a skill. The accuracy bonus while moving isn't particularly useful since it's not enough to counteract the massive accuracy penalty that will be there in the first place.

If you don't really use pistols there's not much else to take though.

Kilmer ace is good for those moments when you think your gun is fully reloaded only to sprint a moment later with an empty clip.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

Dominator ace doesn't get you much: shout distance for anything that isn't inspire gets increased but cops aren't any easier to dominate.

It is important to note that increased shout distance includes marking enemies with Spotter, which can easily be worth the price of admission alone.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

UnknownMercenary posted:

On Pro Deathwish, obviously.

Or just cook enough bags on Cookoff until you hit 100 in a single run.

I'm actually (morbidly) curious to find out what that number would be.

Let's assume a level 0 player at infamy zero, playing Cook Off on DW (of course), with no heat. I'll assume all players make it out, and no team boosts are involved.

23,336,413 xp needed.

8000 base per bag.

.3 bonus for all players leaving.

.5 low level penalty, if I understand the mechanism correctly.

XP = awarded XP * difficulty multiplier * (1 + perk deck + infamy + time limited bonus + crew alive + Gage packages + skins) * heat * stealth bonus (* 1.2 if pro job) (* 0.7 if in custody) (* low level penalty)

23,336,413, divided by = 8000 * 14 * (1 + 0 + 0 + 0 + .3 + 0 + 0) * 1(whoops, fixed) * 1 (* 1) (* 1) (* .5)

23,336,413/72800 =320 and change, so 321 bags.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 9, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'll start the ammo wagon.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

isndl posted:

It is important to note that increased shout distance includes marking enemies with Spotter, which can easily be worth the price of admission alone.

You can mark specials at 30 meters without any bonuses. 45 meters isn't bad but the overwhelming majority of your kills are going to be well within 30 meters.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

You can mark specials at 30 meters without any bonuses. 45 meters isn't bad but the overwhelming majority of your kills are going to be well within 30 meters.

Being able to mark enemies at longer distances is a pretty big deal though, because even if you can't kill them right away it sets them up for the rest of the team and you can track their movements while behind cover. When you're using something like the grenade launcher it can help a ton because of the difficulty of landing perfect hits, whether due to latency or shot deviation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Personally I think dominator ace is great and I always take it when going up Mastermind.