Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

dordreff posted:

Sincerely hope I'm misreading this and you're not actually insulting MJ because she wants to have her own life and career instead of just being the property of a powerful old man.

No, he's insulting MJ because she hasn't caught on that this grabby old man is the bad guy and she shouldn't tell people she's married to Spider-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

dordreff posted:

Sincerely hope I'm misreading this and you're not actually insulting MJ because she wants to have her own life and career instead of just being the property of a powerful old man.

Yeah, you're misreading it. Just noting that:

1. Every supervillian she meets wants to carry her off and make her his queen (Of course MJ saying yes would be a bad idea. Duh.)

and

LordSaturn posted:

he'sShe's insulting MJ because she hasn't caught on that this grabby old man is the bad guy and she shouldn't tell people she's married to Spider-Man.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil 09/13/15

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Wow, Foster can read his own speech bubbles? That's pretty impressive.

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

This is just Brooke's way of correcting a posting error, instead of just updating that day's strip.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

What's in the bag, a shark or something?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus is in the UK for some reason?

Edit: Just realized she's driving, he's working the siren, not that he's doing both. This one's got some weird perspective and stuff going on.

Mary Worth

This is going to get creepy, isn't it?

Rex Morgan MD

I wish they'd just move this along a bit. Honestly, I'm getting sick of seeing her put a hankie to her eyes.

Secret Agent X-9

"Here's our map of the US and Canada. As you can see, there's not a God drat thing in Canada. We're really just willing to acknowledge their existence. After all, they're not Mexico."

Apartment 3-G

"I'll let you know if I need some coffee or have a letter I need to dictate. Otherwise, go back to sleep you worthless piece of poo poo."

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 8, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Chimeric posted:

Why are her arms so tiny?

It's also the Dick Tracy crossover.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Glad to see Guy Gilchrist has finally caught up to the 1980s for his outdated pop culture references. Yes I know it's about BvS shut up.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

I know I'm a total sap, but I think this is sweet.

When first viewing this - I was sure Mr. Langley could vomit up his own spine through his mouth. I'm disappointed.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Flapper Fanny Says

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Pluggers value their pets, as they stay with them until death.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Slammy posted:

I like this new character. I don't think it's a coincidence that the scan became legible again as soon as he showed up.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Professor Thomas Dewey.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

My favorite thing about yoga class so far is how nobody can decide, even between panels, whether they want to wear pants or shorts.

Yeesh, all that's missing is the crying Statue of Liberty.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (April 10-11, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (August 9-11, 1954)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Yeah, I had some high hopes for him back when boats were exploding and everything was fun, but this entire arc he's seemingly gone out of his way to demonstrate his myriad artistic deficiencies. That this is somehow even more boring than the average Jackelrod plot line isn't helping, either.
Yeah, he seemed like he might be pretty good for a while there, but lately it's just been all bad.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I don't suppose anybody here would happen to have either of their official contact information? I don't want to turn into one of those old people who writes into newspapers to complain but some poo poo is worth griping about.
He doesn't seem to have any public contact info. luanncomic.com redirects to the GoComics page, which has no contact info that I can see. There is an official Facebook fan page, but I doubt he runs it himself.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Isn't it already?

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

"I'll let you know if I need some coffee or have a letter I need to dictate. Otherwise, go back to sleep you worthless piece of poo poo."
You must admit, caring about other people's problems is not Margo's strong suit.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

This post was going to have more comics in it, but Comics Kingdom crapped out. Here's as far as I got:

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Yeesh, all that's missing is the crying Statue of Liberty.

You'd think that, but...

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

I'm starting to notice a pattern of crab-murder here...

Classic Dilbert

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I, too, hate it when new writers turn established characters into caricatures of their former selves to fit their own vision.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Hmmm...such a lovely little comic strip, so much fun and it brightens up my fridge dontcha know. Be a shame if the Atlantic Recording Corp, BMI (Jondora/Concord Music), ABKCO, and Sony/ATV decided to go all copyright violation and licensing fee on Guy Gilchrist's arse...

[Seriously, it is a pain in the backside trying to publish an academic article that so much as quotes a prepositional phrase from a pop song without the owners coming after you with enormous fee demands or ordering a cease and desist, which is why most publishers insist that authors paraphrase any lyrics they would like to use -- even attributing the quotes with fully cited footnotes is a no-go without paying the fee. Sadly, you can get away with teeny excerpts like this -- which is why on MST3K, for example, they'll sing a riff just long enough for you to get it, but not long enough to get into trouble. Forgive my grumpiness, I'm jetlagged and this hack gets up my wick.]

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Garden of Eatin is already the name of a food company. Maybe they're starting an arc where they get sued.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

And now, Take It From the Tinkersons. This is what replaced Cul de Sac in papers, right? Maybe it's time to re-evaluate it.

(Rehost Image was giving me a lot of grief. Seems like I can only upload one image per minute or so, or it'll only generate a new link for the image I last uploaded.)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

I like how the reader, too, is a moron in this scenario.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Strontium posted:

And now, Take It From the Tinkersons. This is what replaced Cul de Sac in papers, right? Maybe it's time to re-evaluate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcapvYVXJ5c

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I was just thinking it looked like a flash cartoon from 10 years ago.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That kid's upper lip has to be the result of an errant anchor point.

Also, details aside, you'd think making a diorama out of a comic would be pretty easy.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

This legit made me chuckle. It may be the first time Gilchrist has done that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Goober Peas posted:

It just made me think "God dammit, we get it, you worked on the Muppets, no one gives a gently caress you goddamn loving waste of space!"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Goober Peas posted:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I went a slightly different track

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

It just made me think "God dammit, we get it, you worked on the Muppets, no one gives a gently caress you goddamn loving waste of space!"

That was my exact reaction as well.

Luann

Oh no! And Pru is a lesbian! And what if her friend Ecstasy is a lesbian??? What if they recruit Luann???? What if they turn Luann into a big old lesbian??????????

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

I was all impressed that they're just full on giving us panels of corpses in 1946, but I guess they're not really.

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

And I guess the comic has already forgotten that Ben was a pro athlete himself until recently. That happened faster than I'd expected.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Alterian posted:

Garden of Eatin is already the name of a food company. Maybe they're starting an arc where they get sued.
That's pretty much what I've been expecting.

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (April 12, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (January 28-29, 1929)

Thimble Theater (October 28, 1929)

"Well, after the Victrola broke we had to do something to pass the time."

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

RandomFerret posted:

I like this new character. I don't think it's a coincidence that the scan became legible again as soon as he showed up.
The scans are better for now - I only pull about 15-20 comics in advance, so who knows what the future will bring. The nature of google newspapers is hard on a strip with a storyline (many skipped dates, bad scans). If I have to drop it, I have promising replacements: Guess If They Are Married, And He Did., Jaf, Mopsy and old Andy Capps. But I'd like to note that there were as many crap comics in 1931 as there are in 2016.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Flapper Fanny Says

I wish I could find more of these - Felix (1931, thread champion Milwaukee Journal) Click for big.

wikipedia posted:

Felix the Cat is an animal cartoon character created in the silent film era. The anthropomorphic black cat with his black body, white eyes, and giant grin, coupled with the surrealism of the situations in which his cartoons place him, combine to make Felix one of the most recognized cartoon characters in film history. Felix was the first character from animation to attain a level of popularity sufficient to draw movie audiences.

Felix's origins remain disputed. Australian cartoonist/film entrepreneur Pat Sullivan, owner of the Felix character, claimed during his lifetime to be its creator. American animator Otto Messmer, Sullivan's lead animator, has been credited as such. What is certain is that Felix emerged from Sullivan's studio, and cartoons featuring the character enjoyed success and popularity in the 1920s popular culture. Aside from the animated shorts, Felix starred in a comic strip (drawn by Sullivan, Messmer and later Joe Oriolo) beginning in 1923.

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

The Road to Hell starts tomorrow.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I'm procrastinating on a big project, so have some What are You Doing Comix

Pooch Café

Paul Gilligan goddamn loves that Fugitive scene.

Ballard Street

Ironically, this is exactly the sort of thing that Allen wants to get away from with the glorious underpond city he's trying to scout out.

Lost Side of Suburbia

The greatest tragedy in this whole story is that there wasn't enough time for Twila to pause and say "Take this!" Oh, and the innocent deaths. Those were p. trag.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

RandomFerret posted:

Paul Gilligan goddamn loves that Fugitive scene.

Possibly also The Seventh Seal based on that last panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

My Lovely Horse posted:

I, too, hate it when new writers turn established characters into caricatures of their former selves to fit their own vision.
This strip wasn't funny until you said that.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Again, none of Dawn's sentences relate to each other. It's really pretty amazing.

Rex Morgan MD

I wish they had little continuity notes in the corners of panels like in comic books so we'd know we last saw Cilla Powers in August of 1998.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

One degree temperature, it's not appendicitis, but he should be seen by a surgeon. This is what happened to our health care system.

• Locked thread