Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

AnonSpore posted:

Actually they get responded to with a few paragraphs of well worded guidance and then the guy who asked for advice gets pissy about being called braindead when nobody called him that

lol

Pretty sure he just admitted to being frustrated with the combo and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

bhsman posted:

Pretty sure he just admitted to being frustrated with the combo and nothing else.

Goodpart posted:

There's no one solution and you have to make an educated guess 100% of the time

The best you can do is hide your movements somewhat and keep the opponent guessing. Best way to do this is using her target combo. Personally I wouldn't recommend using her fHP straight away as most people will block on wakeup the first time. Instead, do either LK~HCB+LK~MP (or omit the LK if you want to throw them the other way). It's basically an option select that gives you target combo if the LK hits, and a command grab if it whiffs. You get to choose which one.

This works with all her specials so long as there's a MP buffered somewhere in the motion but you're still making a read, so it's not a brainless solution. You could even do blocked LK into command grab, since you're left + afterwards. Most of her close pressure outside of fHP stems from her stLK so use it liberally.

Once you've gotten them scared of your command grabs they'll be inclined to mash or jump out. Take this on a character by character basis. If you're up against Laura, for instance, you can pressure her for free with fHP so long as she doesn't have super, whereas Ryu you'll need to be more careful.

Remember that fHP puts you at +3 on block so you have options after that too.

DoubleDonut posted:

Well, I wasn't really asking for brainless solutions which is why I asked for tips, but thanks for your help

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

oh no i think they are taking exception to me laughing at this

ellbent posted:

hey update I quit necalli because I can't get a 10% success rate on literally his simplest combo

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

and to the guys credit he came back and acted like an adult

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Would've helped if you gave better context clues so I knew you were talking about the exact same conversation happening on this page, instead of one from four pages ago. :shrug: Not trying to be a dick, just sayin'.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

NecroMonster posted:

oh no i think they are taking exception to me laughing at this

tbh I would laugh a little at that and am laughing at it right now, I was real mad

I grabbed a random shadowplay excerpt of myself in training in case something is sticking out as obviously wrong with my inputs: around the 1 and 2-minute marks I have some strings of successes but that's bookended by some awkward flailings where I'm pretty sure I had just gotten sloppy from repetition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqpIggC1cqE

note: phantom Discord noises

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

your directional inputs are a bit sloppy. but basically it looks like you aren't holding back/downback fast enough after pressing the standing attack in many cases.

you could try holding back after you do the standing attack, and moving to downback in time to link the crouching attack. that might help you make sure you get the charge in time. it also might just confuse you.

man i really don't envy anyone learning this link based poo poo, no matter how forgiving a buffer they added.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 9, 2016

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
You should be charging before you ever do the st.MP. 100% of the time you do that combo you will be able to charge before pressing st.MP.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

honestly the best feeling in this game is beating people with alt colors because they wasted all their loving time playing survival like idiots and now you lost

Unless they modded the game to make Survival last one round..

Golem II posted:

Cause nerds can't stop giving her money for seeing her cleavage. Twitch needs to get rid of these people but won't cause it brings traffic to their site.

lmao twitch must please ban all people with tits from streaming due to the unfair advantage it creates

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/mqs3.mp4

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

so did they nerf necali's throw ranges then?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

bhsman posted:

Would've helped if you gave better context clues so I knew you were talking about the exact same conversation happening on this page, instead of one from four pages ago. :shrug: Not trying to be a dick, just sayin'.

It's really not my fault if you can't pick up on subtle context clues such as "the guy you thought I was referring to did not actually insult anyone" and "there was someone who got mad at the person who went out of their way to help them and then we all laughed at him, literally a day ago." Just sayin'.

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

So what are those lines for anyway. Sometimes it looks like 3 dots connected with lines instead.

doesn't it mean wired or wireless? Dots is wireless other is wired.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Archer666 posted:

Its starting to dawn on me that once you break through to Ultra Bronze and beyond the amount of rage quitting increases exponentially.

I just "won" 3-4 matches that ended with the enemy disconnecting in a row.

People seem to care much more about their rank at the higher levels for whatever reason. I treat the rage quits ad a badge if honour, take wouldn't that you caused someone to act like a baby and you will find it less annoying.

Rematches are another thing I've found slow down once in silver.

I did however get a very classy upper Gold bison yesterday who played me a full set even though he would win 5 points but lose 95. He also picked up on when my stick came out and stopped attacking until I was moving again.

So hats off to you random Bison dude.

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???
In the latest 'SFV is a bad game' news!

https://twitter.com/dantarion/status/718711691794493440

Some weird bug with picking Alex means that one or both players will be stuck with their characters having the frame data and properties of the previous patch until both players quit out to the main menu.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

whoa yeah, whoa whoa whoa yeaaaahhh

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

So what are those lines for anyway. Sometimes it looks like 3 dots connected with lines instead.

It kind of looks like an ethernet cable so my guess is that icon means you're not playing someone on lovely wifi.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Creamfilled posted:

Some weird bug with picking Alex means that one or both players will be stuck with their characters having the frame data and properties of the previous patch until both players quit out to the main menu.

how the gently caress

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Creamfilled posted:

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

It kind of looks like an ethernet cable so my guess is that icon means you're not playing someone on lovely wifi.
I notice a difference in them, so I though they're just a "This is an internet match" identifier.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

ellbent posted:

tbh I would laugh a little at that and am laughing at it right now, I was real mad

I grabbed a random shadowplay excerpt of myself in training in case something is sticking out as obviously wrong with my inputs: around the 1 and 2-minute marks I have some strings of successes but that's bookended by some awkward flailings where I'm pretty sure I had just gotten sloppy from repetition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqpIggC1cqE

note: phantom Discord noises

Looks like cancelling or charging is not the problem. Just as everyone has said in the thread, practice the s.mp, c.mp link. You're missing s.mp, c.mp a lot and need to learn the timing on s.mp, c.mp, so you can concentrate on charging instead of focusing on trying to "guess" the timing. You have to KNOW the exact timing, not approximate. Drum it with your hand on the table if you have to, everyone has their own method but it needs to be internalized. Eventually both the timing on the link AND the charging will be second nature, but you won't get a good success % until then.

In the video:

Attempt 1: Missed c.mp link
Attempt 2: Late s.mp link
Attempt 3: Missed c.mp link (very late)
Attempt 4+5: Success.
Attempt 6: Missed cancel (BUT got the link. What does that tell you?)
Attempt 7: Missed c.mp link (BUT got the cancel, most likely pressed the c.mp several frames ahead of the needed timing and ended up just cancelling s.mp into lp disc.)

It's not necessary to view any further to see what the problem is.
It's quite clear, everytime you concentrate enough to get the c.mp link to nail it, you seem to miss the cancel. Everytime you get the charge, you miss the link. You shouldn't have to concentrate that much, just grind s.mp, c.mp until it's internal, as in being able to do it in your head without a controller or game in front of you. Online timing will change depending on your connection to the opponent and you will need to adjust on the fly to perform it successfully. If you dont know the timing at 0 ping, you will struggle with adjusting your input rhythm to 100 ping delay or 50 ping delay or god knows what kind of rollback your next match will be.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Creamfilled posted:

Okay so how do we pick characters from the E3 build

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
SFV is a lovely piece of software.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
Sounds like an edition select cheat code. It's a feature.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
That's funky, jeez.

AnonSpore posted:

It's really not my fault if you can't pick up on subtle context clues such as "the guy you thought I was referring to did not actually insult anyone" and "there was someone who got mad at the person who went out of their way to help them and then we all laughed at him, literally a day ago." Just sayin'.

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Whatever makes you feel better, man.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
https://twitter.com/TOOLASSlSTED/status/718689622881148929

I'm 95% certain this happened to me in a lobby for one match, and I wasn't just missing the SPD input, because I whifed 2 non-ex and 1-ex backthrow after landing sledgehammers. I had to go into training mode afterwards just to make sure it really does combo.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

bhsman posted:

That's funky, jeez.

Whatever makes you feel better, man.

I don't understand what this is even supposed to mean. What is AnonSpore supposed to feel bad about; your inability to parse context? :shrug:

Maybe we should focus on the accidental edition select bug instead of an old post of someone who couldn't acknowledge the advice he was given.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://twitter.com/colonyoo/status/718763438265147393

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

That's some extreme shimmying.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The new shimmy meta is getting out of hand.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
The Brazilian event is going on if anyone is interested.

Faffel posted:

I don't understand what this is even supposed to mean. What is AnonSpore supposed to feel bad about; your inability to parse context? :shrug:

He was referencing something from multiple pages back, so I said he should have given a better hint since there was an extremely similar conversation going on (and I even said I wasn't trying to sound like a dick, so AnonSpore if that came across as being facetious - particularly with that smiley, then I apologize as that wasn't my intent at all) and he responded passive-aggressively, that's all.

quote:

Maybe we should focus on the accidental edition select bug instead of an old post of someone who couldn't acknowledge the advice he was given.

We should, which is why that's what the first part of my post you quoted was referring to. :v: The funky bit.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Full explanation about the edition select bug.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sohu5d

The old files are probably around still to make replays work properly

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.
My scrub rear end Ken took a round off of gootecks(2nd round ~1:10):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gp0dDUDFfs

I whiffed a lot of j.MK crossup attempts that I thought would hit. Probably not going to practice it anyway. Late on a lot of anti airs, oh well. Also a lot of unconfirmed poo poo, also not going to practice that. Yeah probably not a lot of sf5 training mode going to happen since revelator demo came out.

Bonus(killing random 4k+ necalli, stole a lot of internet points from him, he did not want the runback):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGYCMgbftNo

I should run shadowplay more often, I get some quality ragequits from gold players protecting their internet points.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Okita posted:

I should run shadowplay more often, I get some quality ragequits from gold players protecting their internet points.

I beat a platinum bipson non-stop for about 20 minutes before they eventually alt+f4'd on another loss and it was really obvious they have been quitting, because all they did was typical braindead-bipson stuff like dash in grab / hk and v-trigger devils-reverse crossup, no matter how often it got jabbed. Why some people think their imaginary internet title means anything at all is beyond me. Only reason I grinded ranked to get gold was so good players were more likely to see my lobby and think 'I'll join that lobby, they're probably decent at least'.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

oh man that is so much better.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Okita posted:

My scrub rear end Ken took a round off of gootecks(2nd round ~1:10):

is an excellent adventures being made tonight? maybe its mike ross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

My pad died today. My stick died two weeks ago. I'm out of the fighting game business for a while. :(