Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

computer parts posted:

Interesting note: Attack of the Clones finished filming in September of 2000, and was released in May of 2002. So the Bush/ 9/11 parallels at the time were pretty much coincidental, or at least those anxieties existed pre-9/11.

I think GL has been pretty clear he had Nixon in mind. Cheney and Rumsfeld are of course nixonian figures so it does work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What Bravestothelamps wrote is fully accurate. TFA is about what Star Wars is not.

You had Star Wars, and then you had a new trilogy that highlighted the dark side of Star Wars. TFA, on the other hand, is non-Star Wars. It's a movie about characters searching for the concept of 'Star Wars' and coming up empty - until R2 is unwittingly woken up at the very end of the film by a MacGuffin character that nobody paid attention to.

The point of TFA is that Star Wars will begin after this groundwork is out of the way.

Yeah I think this is right. It was a needed bridge to a modern, new story.

Needed by Hollywood and capitalism.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

He is a black stormtrooper who escapes from slavery, abuse, and brainwashing. Instead of just making him a pathetic shell of a human being, he is written as a character that is learning how to be human throughout the movie, he finds loyalty and friendship by the end, and there are hints that he is a jedi along with Rey. He is the most exciting character to me and I can't wait until the next movie to see more of him.

what? finn never learns to be human, he's the most human person in starwars outside of jarjar and anakin from the start.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I forgot that we have a Count Dooku emote. Or Christopher Lee if you wanna be more accurate.

I always think of that one dude at the meeting that obi wan spies on. He's fuckin ridiculous.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Elfgames posted:

what? finn never learns to be human, he's the most human person in starwars outside of jarjar and anakin from the start.

Perhaps (at the risk of arguing semantics) it'd be more correct to say that Finn learns to be a person, or that he discovers his own personhood.

Finn starts out as one of a number of identical obedient drones. His first escape from the First Order is psychological. The very idea of having a name is foreign to him. Finn also has a very childlike view of the world. He is able recognizes his own personhood, but this recognition doesn't extend to the other enslaved troopers. He knows that the First Order and the Resistance are separate groups, and initially assumes that he must be Resistance by virtue of not being First Order. As he comes to understand that the political situation is more complicated, the idea that the persona he adopted as a Resistance member might be as insubstantial as his put upon persona as a First Order trooper becomes a significant source of anxiety.

Finn is a largely defined by his anxiety and fears. It's his fear of death that initially causes him to challenge his conditioning, and it's his fear of being reconditioned that leads him to escape the First Order. These fears are what put him in opposition to the First Order, which doesn't merely threaten his life, but his still developing personhood. These fears also hinder him, and make him heavily reliant on his comrades. He needs Poe's help to escape the First Order Star Destroyer. He needs Rey's help to escape Jakku, and the Rathtar. When he's tested outside of Maz's establishment by an accusatory laser mace-wielding trooper (which might have well been the very avatar of the conformism Finn sought to escape) he is unable to defend himself.

This all comes to a head when Finn is finally confronted by Kylo Ren, the epitome of the all-powerful faceless soldier. Only, Kylo Ren isn't faceless anymore; he's injured, he's trembling, and he's very human. Where Finn began the film recognizing his own personhood, here is able to recognize the personhood of his enemy, and it's this final epiphany allows Finn to fully engage Ren in combat, despite the threat to his life. In doing so he overcomes the fear which had defined him. I believe it's the most powerful moment in the film.

More over, given the importance fear has in these films ("Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station." "Fear is the path to the dark side." "I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive.") it's perhaps the most thematically Star Wars moment of TFA.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Maxwell Lord posted:

It is worth noting that MacGregor is playing a young Alec Guinness and Alec Guinness was suave as gently caress back in the day.

It's also worth noting that Ewan McGregor is also fuckable and in the prequels. Just a reminder.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

dialhforhero posted:

It's also worth noting that Ewan McGregor is also fuckable and in the prequels. Just a reminder.

Never forget.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Samuel Jackson and Christopher Lee are/were very fuckable, and they basically played reserved versions of themselves in the PT.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You know, BravestOfTheLamps rants made me realize one thing: none of the core "Republican" planets were ever shown on-screen until Episode I, where we were introduced to wealthy Naboo and Capital Coruscant. Throughout the OT, all the action takes place on the outskirts.

That's huge, when you think about it.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

MonsieurChoc posted:

You know, BravestOfTheLamps rants made me realize one thing: none of the core "Republican" planets were ever shown on-screen until Episode I, where we were introduced to wealthy Naboo and Capital Coruscant. Throughout the OT, all the action takes place on the outskirts.

That's huge, when you think about it.

Unless you count a static picture of Alderaan from space. But yeah, we didn't get to see what life was like there.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I kind of wish TFA had done a similar kind of focus switch. The OT is all about the outskirts, the frontiers, the lawless places. The PT takes place at the (collapsing) center of civilization, refined and wealthy, isolated (with Tattooine as a contrast).

Maybe focus the action on the border areas between the Republic and the New Order?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Schwarzwald posted:

Perhaps (at the risk of arguing semantics) it'd be more correct to say that Finn learns to be a person, or that he discovers his own personhood.

Finn starts out as one of a number of identical obedient drones. His first escape from the First Order is psychological. The very idea of having a name is foreign to him. Finn also has a very childlike view of the world. He is able recognizes his own personhood, but this recognition doesn't extend to the other enslaved troopers. He knows that the First Order and the Resistance are separate groups, and initially assumes that he must be Resistance by virtue of not being First Order. As he comes to understand that the political situation is more complicated, the idea that the persona he adopted as a Resistance member might be as insubstantial as his put upon persona as a First Order trooper becomes a significant source of anxiety.

Finn is a largely defined by his anxiety and fears. It's his fear of death that initially causes him to challenge his conditioning, and it's his fear of being reconditioned that leads him to escape the First Order. These fears are what put him in opposition to the First Order, which doesn't merely threaten his life, but his still developing personhood. These fears also hinder him, and make him heavily reliant on his comrades. He needs Poe's help to escape the First Order Star Destroyer. He needs Rey's help to escape Jakku, and the Rathtar. When he's tested outside of Maz's establishment by an accusatory laser mace-wielding trooper (which might have well been the very avatar of the conformism Finn sought to escape) he is unable to defend himself.

This all comes to a head when Finn is finally confronted by Kylo Ren, the epitome of the all-powerful faceless soldier. Only, Kylo Ren isn't faceless anymore; he's injured, he's trembling, and he's very human. Where Finn began the film recognizing his own personhood, here is able to recognize the personhood of his enemy, and it's this final epiphany allows Finn to fully engage Ren in combat, despite the threat to his life. In doing so he overcomes the fear which had defined him. I believe it's the most powerful moment in the film.

More over, given the importance fear has in these films ("Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station." "Fear is the path to the dark side." "I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive.") it's perhaps the most thematically Star Wars moment of TFA.

Finn is a fully developed individual the moment we meet him though. This is the first time he's been in battle, and immediately knows he can't handle it. He's freaking out before the transport even lands. He's also quippy from the moment his helmet comes off. I don't mind the character, but his only arc is that at first he wants to run away, but then he finds a reason to stand and fight (a girl is the reason).

edit: reading your post a little closer I think I agree more with what you're saying. I'd just say that his self perception is pretty static

General Dog fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 10, 2016

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I kind of wish TFA had done a similar kind of focus switch. The OT is all about the outskirts, the frontiers, the lawless places. The PT takes place at the (collapsing) center of civilization, refined and wealthy, isolated (with Tattooine as a contrast).

Maybe focus the action on the border areas between the Republic and the New Order?
It does. At least you can pretend it does which is the same thing.
The playing field seems to have Republic planets and watering hole neutral planets.

Rogue One Teaser Trailer Thoughts:
-Little box on legs guy makes two appearances.
-She's wearing Imperial insignia in the last shot. She must be a secret agent.
-The intonation of her criminal record feels like we're in a more refined theatre of conflict.
-I'm digging the Middle East but wet biome.
-Yay!

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Has anyone noticed the crashed x-wing in the background of the samurai / stormtrooper grudge match

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think Tatooine being there as a contrast – given that it appears in all three prequels, including big, important sections of the first two – sort of undoes how strongly the PT fits the pattern you're talking about. Particularly if you add in the wookie planet, the cloner planet, maybe the planet where they were making the droids, stuff like that.

And in some ways, if you want a city planet that's a seat of power for the Empire, an equivalent to Coruscant from the PT, that's kinda what the Death Stars are.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Sir Kodiak posted:

I think Tatooine being there as a contrast – given that it appears in all three prequels, including big, important sections of the first two – sort of undoes how strongly the PT fits the pattern you're talking about. Particularly if you add in the wookie planet, the cloner planet, maybe the planet where they were making the droids, stuff like that.

And in some ways, if you want a city planet that's a seat of power for the Empire, an equivalent to Coruscant from the PT, that's kinda what the Death Stars are.

Wookie Planet and Cloner planet still kind of fit: Kashyyyk is an important Republic world and Kamino becomes one thanks to giving the Clone Army. Even Geonosis is a heavy industrial world.

As for Tatooine, it breaks the pattern of the rest of the PT, but helps underline just how little the Republic (as represented by the Jedi) care about the worlds outside it's reach.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

The very idea of having a name is foreign to him.

One of my favorite moments is when Poe asks Finn if it's okay if he calls him Finn.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So I've probably seen A New Hope hundreds of times. I just realized 30 seconds ago that Greedo has a loving mohawk.

I feel like I just solved the Kennedy assassination or something.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
This whole thread is Pants.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ecureuilmatrix posted:

This whole thread is Pants.

Why does this exist?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Raxivace posted:

Why does this exist?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Breast

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

I said come in! posted:

We live in a world where the Alien franchise exist, yet a female lead in Star Wars is crossing the line and shoving progressive liberal ideals down our throats.

I blame that dumb rear end Ghostbusters reboot

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Star Wars has managed perfectly without scenes like that before. A New Hope and Phantom Menace establish the same with much, much less. It's fixing what ain't broke.

Please tell me this is a joke post. "This isn't how they used to do it" is not, in itself, a valid criticism under any circumstance.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Baronash posted:

Please tell me this is a joke post. "This isn't how they used to do it" is not, in itself, a valid criticism under any circumstance.

It is a good thing they stopped doing. This is bad.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Star Wars has managed perfectly without scenes like that before. A New Hope and Phantom Menace establish the same with much, much less. It's fixing what ain't broke.

TPM establishes poverty/slavery in different ways. A New Hope doesn't depict either.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Steve2911 posted:

TPM establishes poverty/slavery in different ways. A New Hope doesn't depict either.

They both established character without disconnected vignettes, which was what I was arguing. Star Wars movies are concerned with characters together and their relationships. This is one of their strengths, and why Star Wars has such strong characaters. The rare moments of solitudes cap character interaction . TFA does this backwards, first with Finn and then with Rey. Finn is introduced distraught at death and violence, emphasized by extreme close-ups. Then there's the close focus on Rey's daily routine and its material realities.

Which brings me to my larger, point: Have you noticed that Finn and Rey only regard their communities with fear and hostility? Finn sees a stormtrooper die, and is afraid for himself. Rey sees a scavenger woman who never got to leave. They're both pushed around by their boss. They hurt their comrades in self-defense. They only relate to outsiders as equals. They don't really belong to their communities, and not just because they're the odd ones out. As far as the movie is concerned, there is no community among the stormtroopers and the scavengers. In other words, Finn and Rey have no social context.

This goes against the strength of Star Wars. Expanding on what I said above, characters in Star Wars always exist in relation to each other or their community, so their social context is always emphasized. C3PO and R2D2 are just one pair out of many droids, Darth Vader is the Empire's enforcer, we first meet Luke as the bratty teen of a family, etc. This is what gives Star Wars movies their intensity: audience members see mostly the exterior of the characters, so they have to relate to the characters as the characters relate to each other* (Luke and adult Anakin are exceptional since they become consistent viewpoint characters). This is partly why even people who hate prequels find them so memorable.

This doesn't happen with Finn and Rey. You don't feel Finn and Rey. You feel for them. And since Star Wars movies aren't character studies, this is nothing more than sentimentality. They're more interesting when interacting with other characters.

Consider if the first four minutes of Rey's introduction were cut and she'd first enter the frame rescuing BB-8, who was changed to become the viewpoint character for the scene. The audience would get to know her as BB-8 gets to know her: as a rescuer, as an average woman, as someone taciturn but caring, as the humanity of the scavengers. That would make her character more intensely felt, more striking. As it is, she's someone who has to be scavenger, and is entitled for more because we feel for her. The same goes for Finn: he's someone who has to be a stormtrooper, and is entitled for more because we feel for him.

*This is probably why people hate Jar Jar so much.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 10, 2016

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Steve2911 posted:

Those poor droids were captured and sold by slavers to pay for some cruel masters whims. :ohdear:

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Lampsacus posted:

Rogue One Teaser Trailer Thoughts:
-I'm digging the Middle East but wet biome.

I know this is a well-intentioned post but come on. In case you need a geography lesson go see how many Middle Eastern countries border the ocean. Here is a picture of the Middle East:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/PikiWiki_Israel_6320_Hadera_forest.JPG

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 10, 2016

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SirDrone posted:

Those poor droids were captured and sold by slavers to pay for some cruel masters whims. :ohdear:

Yeah, but were the droids fuckable?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I think the thing that TFA is missing most, more than a younger John Williams, or George Lucas' originality, is Ralph McQuarrie. I know that some of the designs here and there were cribbed from unused designs (and of course any legacy elements from the OT that carried over). But you can really feel it Han's freighter, Leia's transport, the entire look of Maz's cantina/castle (?), and other forgettable sets and designs that McQuarrie had a huge and incredibly under-rated role in the OT. The fact that Han and Kylo's meeting occurs in an exhaust shaft that is basically the exhaust shaft from Cloud City (my single favorite set piece in the series), but octagonal, shows just how bereft of good design ideas this movie had. McQuarrie was a really singular talent.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Jewmanji posted:

I think the thing that TFA is missing most, more than a younger John Williams, or George Lucas' originality, is Ralph McQuarrie. I know that some of the designs here and there were cribbed from unused designs (and of course any legacy elements from the OT that carried over). But you can really feel it Han's freighter, Leia's transport, the entire look of Maz's cantina/castle (?), and other forgettable sets and designs that McQuarrie had a huge and incredibly under-rated role in the OT. The fact that Han and Kylo's meeting occurs in an exhaust shaft that is basically the exhaust shaft from Cloud City (my single favorite set piece in the series), but octagonal, shows just how bereft of good design ideas this movie had. McQuarrie was a really singular talent.

Was Ren's shuttle an old design? That thing looks awesome.

Also I disagree on Maz's cantina being forgettable. That shot where they pan down from the flags is awesome.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

I disagree. The film is sbsolutely loaded with inspired designs; from the cyborg mounts and hermits in Jakku (one of BravestOfTheLamps' posts has a picture of one with a downright adorable face), to Han's freighter mimicking Monstro (advanced by Rey meeting her surrogate father inside a metal whale, and the plan to fill it with smoke), to Ren's mask, to Starkiller's Cyborg Planet design, to the various aliens in the Cantina (I've already harped on my live of the FO's visual design). Some of the Jakku structures that we don't see for long also have a Ralph feel to them, as well.

There are certainly areas where they could have done more, but I feel that they did plenty of unique work where it wouldn't impact the general themes (FO are basically required to be stuck in the past, for example).

If its any consolation, the next director is a fan of the prequels, loves having villains with depth, and will have way more wiggle room for innovation now that FO is entering the "where did we go wrong" part of their arc.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

. This is partly why even people who hate prequels find them so memorable.

I've never thought about this fact before. However, Clones is not memorable once Obi-Wan reaches Kamino.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

Rey's speeder, Kylo Ren's janky lazersword and avian shuttle, the look (if not the existence) of Starkiller, and BB-8 are great designs. Location design was very meh in TFA, lacking Lucas' push for novelty. McQuarrie's really great, but he was far from the only designer working on the Lucas movies and a lot of his stuff didn't make it into the films.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

I disagree. The film is sbsolutely loaded with inspired designs; from the cyborg mounts and hermits in Jakku (
the various aliens in the Cantina

Way too many creatures in the film have this droopy-nosed Jim Henson look and it made them look to samey. it also made it seem like they were going Hey Audience! This is a puppet and not CG!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

They actually have the Falcon smash through McQuarrie's unused gate thing to Jabba's Palace.

My favorite nerdy design cue was that the Falcon's square dish is a shrunk down version of the dish that was on the Tantive IV. It's fun because the original concept for the Falcon was scrapped and repurposed for the Tantive. Here's a good-rear end diagram I made way before the movie came out, there are surely better pics now: http://imgur.com/NFLakHn

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Way too many creatures in the film have this droopy-nosed Jim Henson look and it made them look to samey. it also made it seem like they were going Hey Audience! This is a puppet and not CG!

What are you talking about? There's like 1 droopy-nosed looking practical alien and it was in Maz's bar.

And why shouldn't they draw attention to the fact that they're puppets and not CG? They're loving awesome.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

homullus posted:

Rey's speeder, Kylo Ren's janky lazersword and avian shuttle, the look (if not the existence) of Starkiller, and BB-8 are great designs. Location design was very meh in TFA, lacking Lucas' push for novelty. McQuarrie's really great, but he was far from the only designer working on the Lucas movies and a lot of his stuff didn't make it into the films.

People also don't realize how closely Lucas collaborated with McQuarrie. He didn't just give McQuarrie vague prompts and then use whatever McQuarrie came up with on his own. Usually they went through a bunch of preliminary sketches, which Lucas would critique and modify, before McQuarrie would produce the final concept painting:

The Making of Star Wars posted:

Describing their collaboration, Lucas says: “I have a list of about ten scenes that I want to have painted. He does a rough sketch and then I correct the rough sketch, and then he does another rough sketch and I correct that, and we keep doing it until I feel we’re close enough to where he can do a big drawing. So he does a big rough sketch just as big as the painting; I correct that and then he paints it. But Ralph also adds in an enormous amount of his own detail, his own textural and design elements, which are a great help. I just describe what I want and then he does it. I show him a lot of research material, a lot of things I’ve picked out, and he combines that with other things and invents a lot.

“That was the first step,” he adds. “I really trusted him. Sometimes it was great, and sometimes we had to go back and change it and start over again.”

“George wanted me to do sketches, and we did those in the course of getting straight between us both what the thing should look like,” McQuarrie says. “He wanted the illustrations to look really nice and finished, and the way he wanted them to look on-screen—he wanted the ideal look. In other words, don’t worry about how things are going to get done or how difficult it might be to produce them—just paint them as he would like them to be. So we approached it like that, and I finished four key moments that he felt he definitely wanted to see. So as much as I designed this, George really designed it, too.”

These are some of Lucas's own original sketches which he showed to McQuarrie in their first meeting to give him an idea of what he wanted:

This isn't to downplay the huge influence McQuarrie himself had on the look of the Star Wars films. But you want to talk about the elegant simplicity of, say, the TIE fighter and X-wing designs? Well, they're a product of Lucas's gifted design sense at least as much as they are of McQuarrie's.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The puppet feature is awesome and I wish it was longer. I wish the entire behind the scenes were one cohesive piece like TPM.

I didn't even know Warwick Davis was back - small cameo as one of the aliens playing that dice game in Maz's bar. And stuff like the giant alien with the yellow mechanical arms was a real person in there, the butt pig was real and even the drat mosquitos. So much good work. :)

Also cool to know they couldn't find a proper way to recreate Chewbacca so they just did what was originally done: knit the entire thing up and attach yak hair. Nothing else moved properly that wasn't knit. Like a grandma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

AndyElusive posted:

What are you talking about? There's like 1 droopy-nosed looking practical alien and it was in Maz's bar.

And why shouldn't they draw attention to the fact that they're puppets and not CG? They're loving awesome.

Why would you want to draw attention to the fact that they're not real? Doesn't that completely defeat the purpose?

• Locked thread