Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gnome7 posted:

The chalk writings thing didn't trigger anyone or lead to counseling of any kind. No one involved went to counseling, nobody involved used the phrases "safe space," "triggered," or "traumatized." All that happened was some students protested pro-Trump vandalism at their school. Everything else was added in later by the reporters, and the exaggerated reports blew up on social media.

So no, it really wasn't 'pretty bad.' It was blown out of proportion by sensationalist journalists wanting to make crybabies out of reasonable adults just because they're young millennials.
Well, there you have it. So it's like the McDonald's Hot Coffee case; something totally reasonable that got blown out of proportion for a rhetorical point.

Also, I can't believe I just read these words. This is not grogstxt, but for real.

quote:

If there are no objective societal ills coming from sexism in games (even if we assume that all claims of sexism are actually instances of sexism), what makes this different from me not liking green beans? Without objective harm this seems to come down to just a difference in tastes. If this is just a difference in tastes get in line because I'm a mustang fan and I think camaros are ugly and that's a really big issue that's facing our society that we need to be made aware of!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean, I was just going to point out how amazing it is that even people in that thread agreeing that there's a problem can't stop calling women "females," but welp.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

dwarf74 posted:

Well, there you have it. So it's like the McDonald's Hot Coffee case; something totally reasonable that got blown out of proportion for a rhetorical point.

Also, I can't believe I just read these words. This is not grogstxt, but for real.

I find that it's really easy to tell whether you're speaking with a lawyer or one who works in the legal field by asking about the McDonald's case. What actually happened (180 degree Fareneit coffee melted through bottom of cup in a stationary car onto lap, leaving 3rd degree burns) is totally different than what McDonald's and the general public believed happened (woman drank lukewarm coffee while driving fast and spilled it on her lap).

I'm kind of sad that the dialogue of discourse hasn't seemed to improve much in the 2 years since I wrote that sexism essay. Sure you have this place and RPGnet, but the wider world of nerddom is still contains a minefield of regressive elements.

In regards to the Pathfinder fandom on Facebook, the "white male terrorism" post triggered a bunch of arguing. As a result a new Pathfinder Females community was created as a sort of safe space to have dialogue which may be unproductive or lead nowhere in a mixed group. Naturally there are people asking why "folks are dividing the fandom," instead of asking what triggered the division in the first place and what they can do to bring the distaff fanbase back into the fold.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 9, 2016

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Libertad! posted:

I find that it's really easy to tell whether you're speaking with a lawyer or one who works in the legal field by asking about the McDonald's case. What actually happened (180 degree Fareneit coffee melted through bottom of cup in a stationary car onto lap, leaving 3rd degree burns) is totally different than what McDonald's and the general public believed happened (woman drank lukewarm coffee while driving fast and spilled it on her lap).
I caught Ralph Nader on a talk show many years ago discussing it, which was a good start. And then the Hot Coffee documentary, more recently.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Libertad! posted:

As a result a new Pathfinder Females community was created as a sort of safe space to have dialogue which may be unproductive or lead nowhere in a mixed group. Naturally there are people asking why "folks are dividing the fandom," instead of asking what triggered the division in the first place and what they can do to bring the distaff fanbase back into the fold.
I get that they're trying, but drat.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I get that they're trying, but drat.

Actually, I got it slightly wrong: the name's Female Pathfinders. Since its launch 1.5 to 2 days ago it now has 162 members. Looks to be quite popular right now.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I hope the TG community never stops using"feeeemales" because I always read that word like a Ferengi is saying it and I smile a little on the inside

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gtrmp posted:

At least everyone else in the thread is telling that one guy off (well, so far anyways).

Don't look now. Keep that sunny outlook.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

quote:

Is there any horrible societal ill white males aren't responsible for? 
nope! lol!

Arctic Bunny
Aug 3, 2012

A PERFECT LOOKING NOSE
Can Easily Be Yours
FGM?

Seriously though, I've been hoping for this kind of a larger discourse. Maybe opening the floodgates now like this will lead towards the hobby improving. It's a discussion that needs to be had.

That female pathfinders group thing is understandable but I think it's a bandaid over a gaping oozing wound. Having a women-only spaces does give us women a space with less or no harassment, but at the same time, segregating genders doesn't teach getting along with different genders. (Namely, to men - women generally have no problem behaving civilly towards males.)

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Everblight posted:

I hope the TG community never stops using"feeeemales" because I always read that word like a Ferengi is saying it and I smile a little on the inside

I think it's extremely good fun to hammer otherwise decent people for using a specific word that I can find problematic.

Like any time someone fucks up slightly and uses the word female like "harassment of female developers needs to stop" I just inflate like a puffer-fish, ignore the actual intent, and just start lecturing them on why they shouldn't treat women like a science experiment.

It is a powerful, warm feeling.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I know it's funny to laugh at people but it's kind of drifting away from TG as an industry to poke fun of randos on ~the inferior ttrpg forums~, especially with block quoting them here. Unless someone can establish that guy is a GMS parachute account maybe it'd be better to make another grognards.txt for Ettin to gas?

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 9, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bedlamdan posted:

I think it's extremely good fun to hammer otherwise decent people for using a specific word that I can find problematic.

Like any time someone fucks up slightly and uses the word female like "harassment of female developers needs to stop" I just inflate like a puffer-fish, ignore the actual intent, and just start lecturing them on why they shouldn't treat women like a science experiment.

Defensive much?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Defensive much?

Why? I think it's a pretty positive thing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bedlamdan posted:

Why? I think it's a pretty positive thing.

pls post video of yourself inflating like a puffer fish and ideally rolling over a patriarch with your poisoned spines

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

pls post video of yourself inflating like a puffer fish and ideally rolling over a patriarch with your poisoned spines

I strive for that every day, with my posting.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
That would explain why your posts smell so fishy! ho ho ho

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

That would explain why your posts smell so fishy! ho ho ho

D:<

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mors Rattus posted:

Defensive much?

You can say that, but the number of gamer guys I see using "females" as the way to describe a woman in common conversation that also have highly regressive ideas about how to treat women is too high to ignore completely. Though I'd think it's just that there are a lot of gamers in the armed forces, and that's the common lingo for women there rather than anything else.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

gnome7 posted:

The chalk writings thing didn't trigger anyone or lead to counseling of any kind. No one involved went to counseling, nobody involved used the phrases "safe space," "triggered," or "traumatized." All that happened was some students protested pro-Trump vandalism at their school. Everything else was added in later by the reporters, and the exaggerated reports blew up on social media.

So no, it really wasn't 'pretty bad.' It was blown out of proportion by sensationalist journalists wanting to make crybabies out of reasonable adults just because they're young millennials.

Well, even if it is all exaggerated, what's important is that it started a conversation.

rkajdi posted:

You can say that, but the number of gamer guys I see using "females" as the way to describe a woman in common conversation that also have highly regressive ideas about how to treat women is too high to ignore completely. Though I'd think it's just that there are a lot of gamers in the armed forces, and that's the common lingo for women there rather than anything else.

Yeah. Personally, I'd look askance at anyone who says "female."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Arctic Bunny posted:

FGM?

Seriously though, I've been hoping for this kind of a larger discourse. Maybe opening the floodgates now like this will lead towards the hobby improving. It's a discussion that needs to be had.

That female pathfinders group thing is understandable but I think it's a bandaid over a gaping oozing wound. Having a women-only spaces does give us women a space with less or no harassment, but at the same time, segregating genders doesn't teach getting along with different genders. (Namely, to men - women generally have no problem behaving civilly towards males.)

I don't know what fgm means in this context

Anyway uh... I've never gone outside this forum for TG news and the only TG people I follow on Twitter are other goons, and I feel like this place has a pretty solid handle on the state of things

e: on the other hand, my level of involvement in The Industry and such is pretty low, and basically entirely limited to PbP on these forums and a couple of Skype games with some of those same people

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Captain Foo posted:

I don't know what fgm means in this context

my guess is "female genital mutilation" which is a bad idea to talk about rn

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Food genital magnate, a Splotter euro

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

I know it's funny to laugh at people but it's kind of drifting away from TG as an industry to poke fun of randos on ~the inferior ttrpg forums~, especially with block quoting them here.

:agreed:, please do not recreate grognards.txt in this thread.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Why use females when "broads" is much warmer.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Fenarisk posted:

Females is more nerdish, because as mentioned before, it immediately draws ones thoughts to Star Trek and the Ferengi. Broads makes me think of Danny DeVito. I kind of like Danny DeVito.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fenarisk posted:

"What's disrespectful about calling women "dames"?" Tom said broadly.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

homullus posted:

Hey now Dames has class to it

Specifically it provides a +5 to all saves and gives full casting progression. You can't go wrong with that

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

Bedlamdan posted:

The criticism is generally about using "female" as a noun, not with saying something like "female developer" while using it as an adjective, right. I'm sure you could find someone who has the view you're mocking here, but, like... your example is not particularly relevant to what you're quoting.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Gazetteer posted:

The criticism is generally about using "female" as a noun, not with saying something like "female developer" while using it as an adjective, right. I'm sure you could find someone who has the view you're mocking here, but, like... your example is not particularly relevant to what you're quoting.

Oh, that honestly makes the whole thing sound more sensible. Thank you.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, I've always associate the attitude in question with using "female" as a noun, not as an adjective. Really, using anything else as an adjective feels weird. Saying "woman game designer" feels kind of clunky in my mouth.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The ideal I suppose would just be "Game Designer", but I understand the occasional need for further descriptors.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's notable in that you never hear "males" unless you're listening to descriptions on a police band radio or something.

It's kind of a dogwhistle; It implies that "Females" are not the default of whatever other word would be used - It's like a more concentrated version of "lady doctor" or "male secretary."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
There's also 'is the person describing women in a rhetorically different way than men?' which is the big thing for me. If someone is consistently using 'males' and 'females,' then yeah, okay, that might sound a little bit weird, but it's probably just a personal quirk and not a shibboleth for sexism (not to say their utterances can't be sexist for other reasons). If they're saying 'men' and 'females,' in the same breath, then sure, sound the red alert.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

homullus posted:

Holy drat, someone still knows about Tom Swifties! :haw:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

It is one of the few advantages of being numbered among The Olds on this comedy website.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
"I'm glad Wizards of the Coast is working to protect my investment in Magic cards," Tom said reservedly.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Leperflesh posted:

Holy poo poo I forgot about these

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's like I'm reading Boy's Life again.

Is that still a thing? /checks

Apparently it is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rand Brittain posted:

It's like I'm reading Boy's Life again.

Is that still a thing? /checks

Apparently it is!

I paged through one while waiting for a haircut the other day. They're still using the same jokes/inspirational Scout story comics as they did in the 90s. I mean it WAS a hair salon magazine, but I checked the date, it wasn't THAT old.

• Locked thread