Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Good man.

gently caress the Ninja 250.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Bikes generally have got ridiculously tinier since the 90s. Park a modern litrebike next to any 600/750 from the 90s and it'll look like a toy.

Modern engineering is a heck of a thing.

I love how pint-sized the Aprilia superbikes are.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Bikes generally have got ridiculously tinier since the 90s. Park a modern litrebike next to any 600/750 from the 90s and it'll look like a toy.

The CBR1000 is, give or take, the same size as a VFR400.

The first time I saw a 90's SRAD I thought I was tripping balls because they look so small in pictures and the thing was the size of a loving hayabusa. Same with 90's fireblades.

Engines have gotten much smaller physically, frames and fairings have shrunk to match and there's a whole lot more mass centralisation going on, for better or worse.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think part of the reason it's so surprising to see a GP bike in person is also because a lot of the riders are tiny little guys. Dani Pedrosa is like 5'3". Makes sense that you'd want the smallest and lightest person you could find, though. It kind of blew my mind when I realized that some of the big fat dudes you see riding sportbikes are putting the same load on their bike all the time as I do when I'm carrying my girlfriend on the back.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Can confirm, the '90 FZR600 that was sitting in my garage until last week was noticeably more space consuming than my '06 FZ1 was. Part of the reason I was glad to sell it on to another goon - took up too much space in my garage.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

I think part of the reason it's so surprising to see a GP bike in person is also because a lot of the riders are tiny little guys. Dani Pedrosa is like 5'3". Makes sense that you'd want the smallest and lightest person you could find, though. It kind of blew my mind when I realized that some of the big fat dudes you see riding sportbikes are putting the same load on their bike all the time as I do when I'm carrying my girlfriend on the back.

My coworker sat on my zrx and bottomed it out completely. It carries me and a passenger with barely any sag.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

HotCanadianChick posted:

Part of the reason I was glad to sell it on to another goon - took up too much space in my garage.

Oh the bike, not the goon. Right. Carry on.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

My coworker sat on my zrx and bottomed it out completely. It carries me and a passenger with barely any sag.

:psyduck: how huge is this guy??

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

:psyduck: how huge is this guy??

400+

Edit
Pounds:smugdon:

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm actually impressed that a 400+ pound guy could throw a leg over the bike instead of just falling over and taking the bike down with him.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I have a buddy who is like 400 and he somehow scales his YZ450F, kick starts it, and gets some dirt on.

I am half that and I can barely do that poo poo.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
This guy ( http://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/5492324785.html ) told me he'd take $1200 for this 2006 TTR230, which is about 1k less than any other example I've found for my area. He texted me a picture and the bike looks a-ok. I'm checking it out tomorrow. anything in particular I should look for? Alarm bells are going off from the low price, but I think I may have just found someone who needs to offload quickly.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Make sure it isn't leaking or burning a bunch of oil. Expect poo poo chain and tires.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

This seems cheap... and potentially in lovely shape? http://kpr.craigslist.org/mcy/5517000101.html

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Going in a couple hours to look at a crashed SV650 S. As long as the frame is straight and the engine cases aren't cracked, I'll probably buy it. The shift lever is gone and the kickstand switch is busted so I won't be able to crank the engine to test it ahead of time (can't get it into neutral until the shifter is replaced and until the stand switch is fixed it thinks the stand is down so...), hopefully there aren't any huge problems lurking inside it. :ohdear:

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I like turtles posted:

This seems cheap... and potentially in lovely shape? http://kpr.craigslist.org/mcy/5517000101.html

The exhaust on that thing looks ridiculous.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Prolapsed exhaust pipe is a serious condition and I'll thank you not to mock it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

The shift lever is gone and the kickstand switch is busted so I won't be able to crank the engine to test it ahead of time (can't get it into neutral until the shifter is replaced and until the stand switch is fixed it thinks the stand is down so...)

Take some tools and address the problems on the spot. Use vise-grips to turn the shifter shaft, and a wire with alligator clips to short out the neutral switch.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Already have some tools with me for that very purpose, including vice grips and some jumper wires ;)

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Partial Octopus posted:

The exhaust on that thing looks ridiculous.

Geeze I hadn't even noticed that.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Welp, bought the SV650 for $500. The gas tank is undamaged and it's got a Corbin seat, so worst case scenario, I can ebay some stuff off it and make my money back if the engine is shot. Frame and engine looked completely unscathed, however, so I should be able to get it running. We tried using jumper cables and a car battery along with an insulated screwdriver to bridge the starter terminals, but it didn't want to turn the engine over past TDC, my friend suspects the carbs may have leaked into one of the cylinders while it was sitting on it's side and have caused it to become hydrolocked, I'll see what's going on once I tear into it.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled

JohnnyDangerously posted:

This guy ( http://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/5492324785.html ) told me he'd take $1200 for this 2006 TTR230, which is about 1k less than any other example I've found for my area. He texted me a picture and the bike looks a-ok. I'm checking it out tomorrow. anything in particular I should look for? Alarm bells are going off from the low price, but I think I may have just found someone who needs to offload quickly.

So I pulled the trigger on this

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What are those bungee cords going to do out of curiousity? Cool bike though!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/5512800533.html

I found a thing, and one of you fuckers should totally take this home.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled

Slavvy posted:

What are those bungee cords going to do out of curiousity? Cool bike though!

They are there solely to justify my wife bringing them.

Motsew
Dec 31, 2004

I've got my eyes on a 2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R. It's done 18,000 miles and the owner wants £3000 for it. The reason it's £3000 and not closer to £4500 is because it's recorded Cat C. Radiator got damaged and Insurance deemed it too costly to replace. He replaced it himself after. Other than that, what else should I be looking for on this particular model?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

What would anyone do with an illegal bike like that?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Nitrox posted:

What would anyone do with an illegal bike like that?

Didn't you read the ad? Let it sit in their living room and wipe it with a diaper, duh!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
It would be trivial to register that RS125 in my state. No titles required below 251cc, no emissions, visual inspection only at the local garage. Im sure other states offer equal or greater amounts of freedom

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Motsew posted:

I've got my eyes on a 2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R. It's done 18,000 miles and the owner wants £3000 for it. The reason it's £3000 and not closer to £4500 is because it's recorded Cat C. Radiator got damaged and Insurance deemed it too costly to replace. He replaced it himself after. Other than that, what else should I be looking for on this particular model?

If it needed a new radiator then it has been dropped at the very least. Check that the frame is straight and has no cracks at the joins and all the other things that might get damaged by a drop or slide are OK.

Go over all the paperwork and the serial numbers on the bike with a fine tooth comb and if anything seems fishy walk away. Insurance write offs are often the target for people trying to sell on stolen bikes.

Motsew
Dec 31, 2004

Foxtrot_13 posted:

If it needed a new radiator then it has been dropped at the very least. Check that the frame is straight and has no cracks at the joins and all the other things that might get damaged by a drop or slide are OK.

Go over all the paperwork and the serial numbers on the bike with a fine tooth comb and if anything seems fishy walk away. Insurance write offs are often the target for people trying to sell on stolen bikes.

If it helps. This is the advertisement on ebay - http://goo.gl/cFqowA

It's got a picture of the damage and a picture of the HPI check.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

That color scheme is rad.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Nvm

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

JohnnyDangerously posted:

So I pulled the trigger on this

Can we have a loading your bike up PSA?

Strap down the handlebars so it compresses the suspension about half way and the bike stands on its own. Side stand up, if you hit a bump you don't want the side stand absorbing anything. Nothing else needed unless you want to put straps on the back for show. Check it's secure by using your muscles to shake it around.

Canyon dancers work nicely but not necessary.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

clutchpuck posted:

Strap down the handlebars so it compresses the suspension about half way and the bike stands on its own. Side stand up, if you hit a bump you don't want the side stand absorbing anything. Nothing else needed unless you want to put straps on the back for show. Check it's secure by using your muscles to shake it around.

I was taught to strap down handlebars from the other side. So the tiedown that hooks on the left side of the bike goes on the right side handlebar and vice versa. I don't know whether or not there's a reason for that but I do as I'm told. Also, and this should be obvious but..., make sure your tie down isn't crushing something important against the handlebar.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Straps on just the bars only seems to work on lighter bikes, heavier ones always want to fall over unless there's also straps somewhere near the rear keeping it from tipping side to side.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That shouldn't happen due to physics. The rear won't move independently from the front unless the handlebars turn. If it's chocked up against something (front of truck box works) and the tie-downs are fore of the axle (like at the corners of the box) it won't move. I've loaded up dualsports, adventure bikes, porky BMW standards, antique enduros and UJMs, and a 700lb Vstar this way.

But either way, side stand up. Hauling on the side stand makes me cringe.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Motsew posted:

If it helps. This is the advertisement on ebay - http://goo.gl/cFqowA

It's got a picture of the damage and a picture of the HPI check.

Replacement rad is *not* a Cat C write-off. Even using brand new genuine parts and getting it done at a dealer is under a grand, and going down fast and hard enough to scrape that side that badly will have caused more damage than he's letting on (bars, controls, clutch cover, exhaust, possibly axles).

It's unlikely to have damaged the frame, but I'd still walk away because the guys not telling the whole story, and I'm deeply, deeply suspicious of any owner who uses the word "hooligan" in the first line of his ad. If you're going to take a punt make sure you really carefully quiz him on the circumstances of the crash, because I'm willing to bet he'll talk a bunch of poo poo.

(Also he's from Newport and so is basically subhuman scum)

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
More bike transport chat:

If a bike has a centerstand should/could that be used for transporting? If a bike has barkbusters/handlebar guards what's the best way to secure the front?

If a bike had to be left outside in regular salt water spray is there a good way to protect it besides a cover or a nice layer of grease?

Also if one had to lift/move a bike using a crane any tips on rigging it up? Lifting straps on the skid plate and/or through the frame?

Asking because I'm going to take a dual sport on an boat/ship soon, but I have to keep it outside on deck. Should be a sweet opportunity to ride around Alaska. If my f650gs is too big I might pickup a 250 Honda/Yahmaha of some kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

That shouldn't happen due to physics. The rear won't move independently from the front unless the handlebars turn. If it's chocked up against something (front of truck box works) and the tie-downs are fore of the axle (like at the corners of the box) it won't move. I've loaded up dualsports, adventure bikes, porky BMW standards, antique enduros and UJMs, and a 700lb Vstar this way.

But either way, side stand up. Hauling on the side stand makes me cringe.

In my experience when you go over bumps the back of the bike jumps around and tends to walk side to side and sometimes it gets far enough to make falling a real danger. This is a van though, trucks might be different maybe?