Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That "Administration of the Arabs" only lasted 4 months. That census was taken in a really small window. Cool find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Friendly Humour posted:

Well for lack of a better word then? I see /pol/ as something of a litmus paper for the whole extreme right movement that's been growing in the last decade around the whole conspiracy theorist identity, in that there isn't really any coherent ideology, but just a mess of shouting and anger about something vaguely against what they perceive as the ruling ideology (wrongly so, but anyway).

I mean of course it's an ironic catchphrase, I'm just thinking how their nasty little community gives birth to such things. Thing is, the ironic catchphrase is there to mask the actual unironic racism. Kinda like the opposite of FYAD.

/pol/ is literally the guys that Republican pollster was talking about Trump supporters are made up of losers who masturbate to anime.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Ah yes, the 13 division, the ones that have been at odds with Al-Nusra...yeah great priority.

God these fuckers lmust love Isis at this point.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Less a love of ISIS and more a contempt of brown.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cugel the Clever posted:

B52s are loaded with smart bombs these days, and have been in frequent operation over the area already.

No, they've been using B-1Bs. B-52s will be new to this fight.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Ikasuhito posted:

Some neat drones footage from today's Aleppo offensive.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=mueLni5ltbk

Pro click for sure. The bulk of it is a continuous drone shot as APCs race across a field, nearly run into each other, slam into a wall and then jihadists pour out. It's like watching a command and conquer: generals battle.

Also that A-10 video linked above is worth a watch. *brrrrrt*

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Jaramin posted:

Huge proposed Armenia. Ie: "Perform ethnic cleansing here"

As discussed, ethnicities get to preform at least one revenge cleansing to see if they can top the score of the last one.

hypnorotic
May 4, 2009

Ikasuhito posted:

Some neat drones footage from today's Aleppo offensive.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=mueLni5ltbk

I remember seeing some drone footage of an offensive like this where you could actually see the defenders running around and driving off in their vehicles. I seem to have lost the link, anyone remember something like this?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:toot: Caro!

Oh hey it's the Australian reporter WITH THE CHILD THAT WAS KIDNAPPED AT GUNPOINT JUST MOMENTS BEFORE also it turns out the tv channel paid the 'recovery agency'/kidnappers $100k for the operation, then went to hide at the Australian Embassy which handed them to the police when they came knocking. They're all hosed.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/apr/10/60-minutes-crew-detained-in-lebanon-to-find-out-fate-soon-says-julie-bishop

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me
I haven't been able to contact my Kurdish friend for about six weeks. He's a teacher in southeastern Turkey and at this point I'm kind of worried. Last time I spoke with him he had mentioned a police enforced curfew.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

usb teledildonics posted:

I haven't been able to contact my Kurdish friend for about six weeks. He's a teacher in southeastern Turkey and at this point I'm kind of worried. Last time I spoke with him he had mentioned a police enforced curfew.

Turkey routinely blocks Facebook and Twitter, but presumably you know that. Kurds in the southeast are being cracked down on right now, and there is a heavy police presence throughout the region. Do know what town your friend is in?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

hypnorotic posted:

I remember seeing some drone footage of an offensive like this where you could actually see the defenders running around and driving off in their vehicles. I seem to have lost the link, anyone remember something like this?

Was it this one?

Starts at 8:05
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=185_1459601530

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

usb teledildonics posted:

He's almost certainly ok unless he aimed an AK at an APC. Does he hang around with PKK types?

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

SynthOrange posted:

:toot: Caro!

Oh hey it's the Australian reporter WITH THE CHILD THAT WAS KIDNAPPED AT GUNPOINT JUST MOMENTS BEFORE also it turns out the tv channel paid the 'recovery agency'/kidnappers $100k for the operation, then went to hide at the Australian Embassy which handed them to the police when they came knocking. They're all hosed.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/apr/10/60-minutes-crew-detained-in-lebanon-to-find-out-fate-soon-says-julie-bishop

In all fairness regarding this story, Lebanese family law is truly hosed up in the sense that if it is true that the father said the children won't be returning to Australia then there's arguably no legal way for the mother to contest it. Most or all all of our western governments are working under the assumption that parental cross-border abduction is a form of kidnapping, and it's forbidden under the Hague convention. As far as I know, child recovery agents usually operate within some form of bilateral cooperation agreement but there are l lot of legal gray areas so some agencies just goes rogue, it would hardly be the first time. Judging from the little I know about how it works I'd assume that the agency had convinced everyone involved that they're doing it in agreement with international law or however they ususally justify rogue operations legally. So again, if it's true that the father intended to keep the children in Lebanon, which judging by his comments it seems to be, then I'm truly sorry that the kidnapping was botched because they won't see Australia or their maternal family again until they're 18 at best.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Svartvit posted:

In all fairness regarding this story, Lebanese family law is truly hosed up in the sense that if it is true that the father said the children won't be returning to Australia then there's arguably no legal way for the mother to contest it. Most or all all of our western governments are working under the assumption that parental cross-border abduction is a form of kidnapping, and it's forbidden under the Hague convention. As far as I know, child recovery agents usually operate within some form of bilateral cooperation agreement but there are l lot of legal gray areas so some agencies just goes rogue, it would hardly be the first time. Judging from the little I know about how it works I'd assume that the agency had convinced everyone involved that they're doing it in agreement with international law or however they ususally justify rogue operations legally. So again, if it's true that the father intended to keep the children in Lebanon, which judging by his comments it seems to be, then I'm truly sorry that the kidnapping was botched because they won't see Australia or their maternal family again until they're 18 at best.

They physically assaulted the people with the kids.

Yes, the father is in the wrong taking the kids. Does NOT justify physical violence and rogue operations to get them back.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, the father is in the wrong taking the kids. Does NOT justify physical violence and rogue operations to get them back.

If somebody was holding my kidnapped children I would be completely justified in cracking them on the head if they resisted my attempts to take them back.

Which isn't to say that I believe her children were actually kidnapped or that her actions were reasonable even if they were, just that your logic is dumb as poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

If somebody was holding my kidnapped children I would be completely justified in cracking them on the head if they resisted my attempts to take them back.

Which isn't to say that I believe her children were actually kidnapped or that her actions were reasonable even if they were, just that your logic is dumb as poo poo.

Effectively, though, it wasn't kidnapping as you said. What she did would be kidnapping. It's a lovely situation but she isn't making it any better.

And what you'd claim to do would be considered kidnapping and assault. It's one thing to call my logic dumb but then use the exact same logic to justify something you already acknowledged would be improper.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

By this logic the Lebanese father would be completely justified in gunning down this fake Australian documentary crew or whatever they were when they moved in to kidnap his child.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

The point was that saying "Even if he kidnapped these children violence wasn't justified!" is completely idiotic logic. It's explicitly clear in my post that I'm not sure if they were actually kidnapped and, just to state it clearly, this entire situation is a clusterfuck and the mother's actions only made things worse.

And for gently caress's sake no if the father actually kidnapped the children he would not be justified shooting the mother or the film crew for trying to take them back what the gently caress is wrong with you? How is that not obvious?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

sparatuvs posted:

He's almost certainly ok unless he aimed an AK at an APC. Does he hang around with PKK types?

Move along citizen. There is no violence here and definitely no civilian casualties.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

CommieGIR posted:

In domestic cases we justify violence in order to return victims of kidnapping. In international cases we also justify it. It just so happens that the legal infrastructure isn't present in this particular case (and many other cases). I don't like to see morals as based on simply adhering to local law so doesn't moral consistency demand that we justify even the illegal recovery attempt?

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

And for gently caress's sake no if the father actually kidnapped the children he would not be justified shooting the mother or the film crew for trying to take them back what the gently caress is wrong with you? How is that not obvious?

It's as much his child as it is hers. She resorted to violence to kidnap a child, he would be more than justified in acting with full force to protect his child being taken away at gun point by a bunch of strangers. What's wrong with you? You seem to be justifying violence from one side but not the other. Because he's a filthy Arab and she's white, her rights to the child trumps his?

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Svartvit posted:

In domestic cases we justify violence in order to return victims of kidnapping. In international cases we also justify it.

"We" don't justify anything. Speak for yourself, lunatic. I hope this fake camera crew has the book thrown at them in Lebanon.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

lynch_69 posted:

"We" don't justify anything. Speak for yourself, lunatic. I hope this fake camera crew has the book thrown at them in Lebanon.

When I say "we" I mean as in our society. If you think it's wrong to retrieve victims of kidnappings then don't take it to heart.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
What will win this debate?! The racism argument or the women's rights argument?!

Oh wait, that's right I remember. We all lose. Let's just agree that the dude was crazy for taking the kid like that and she was crazier to stage that 'rescue'.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Svartvit posted:

In domestic cases we justify violence in order to return victims of kidnapping. In international cases we also justify it. It just so happens that the legal infrastructure isn't present in this particular case (and many other cases). I don't like to see morals as based on simply adhering to local law so doesn't moral consistency demand that we justify even the illegal recovery attempt?

Again, it depends on if it was a kidnapping which depends on who has custody of the children in which country. Australian law does not trump Lebanese law.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Anosmoman posted:

Again, it depends on if it was a kidnapping which depends on who has custody of the children in which country. Australian law does not trump Lebanese law.
That's my point. According to Lebanese law (varies depending on confession), a woman does not have custody of her children, which makes it legally possible to kidnap your own children from your spouse. That's - in my opinion - horrible.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Minarchist posted:

"to Italy" :rolleyes:

I know the Italians wanted to reclaim some empire cred but come on...some bogus chunk of SE Anatolia isn't the way to do it.

I guess that's why they went and bombed Ethiopia :smith:
Italy owned Rhodes and some islands around at the time, Greece got those back after 1945. So them claiming the Turkish land nearby isn't that surprising.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 10, 2016

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

lynch_69 posted:

It's as much his child as it is hers. She resorted to violence to kidnap a child, he would be more than justified in acting with full force to protect his child being taken away at gun point by a bunch of strangers. What's wrong with you? You seem to be justifying violence from one side but not the other. Because he's a filthy Arab and she's white, her rights to the child trumps his?

this awful post is proof that god isn't real

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

lynch_69 posted:

If they were as much his as hers why didn't he make arrangements for them to stay jointly with him in Lebanon and her in Australia? Apparently the mother was reasonable and agreed to let them visit him in Lebanon, but he chose to be unreasonable and detain them there.

I mean that's a really hosed up thing for him to do and you should be ashamed for showing such support of his actions lynch_69, and for accusing me of being racist with no reason for doing so. SMDH

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
By the way, here's a good summary of the problems of Lebanese family law and custody issues from an American perspective:

quote:

- There are extreme difficulties in returning a child to the United States from Lebanon when retained by a Lebanese parent.
- Lebanon is not a party to the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction.
- There are no extradition treaties between Lebanon and the United States.
- Under Lebanese law, Lebanese nationals may prevent their wives and children (even if they are American citizens) from leaving Lebanon.
- Lebanon does not recognize international parental kidnapping as a crime.
- Issues of child custody and divorce in Lebanon are generally decided in religious courts under religious law. Thus, if the father is a Sunni Muslim and the mother is a Christian the custody of their children will normally be decided by a Sunni Muslim court.
- One might petition a civil court to handle a custody case instead of a religious court. The issue would be whether the religious court has jurisdiction. It could take up to two years to have the civil court assume jurisdiction and a minimum of four to five years to have the case decided.
- Among Sunni Muslims, the father has physical custody of a daughter over the age of nine and of a boy over the age of seven. For Shia Muslims the father generally has physical custody at for boys at age 2 and for girls at age 7.
- If a father establishes that the mother is unfit or lacking good moral character, she will lose any right to the child. Muslim law requires a child to be raised in the Muslim faith, and if it were proven that a mother tried to raise the child as a Christian, she could be found unfit.
- Lebanon does not recognize dual nationality. American/Lebanese dual nationals who carry Lebanese papers will be treated as Lebanese nationals by security authorities.
- A child who is a dual American and Lebanese citizen would be bound by Lebanese law in the eyes of the Lebanese civil courts.
- The U.S. State Department cannot offer any real assistance even if there were a United States court order directing the return of the child from Lebanon.

http://www.international-divorce.com/ca-lebanon.htm

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I can't find it now, but I remember reading a story that involved Eric Haney (one of the earliest members of Delta) and one of his former unit members recovering a kid who had been taken back into Iran by his father without the consent of the divorced mother. They pulled it off without guns or any violence. Anyone else familiar with this story? Think it took place in the late 80s or early 90s.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

If they were as much his as hers why didn't he make arrangements for them to stay jointly with him in Lebanon and her in Australia? Apparently the mother was reasonable and agreed to let them visit him in Lebanon, but he chose to be unreasonable and detain them there.

I mean that's a really hosed up thing for him to do and you should be ashamed for showing such support of his actions lynch_69, and for accusing me of being racist with no reason for doing so. SMDH

Yes, surely the best way for the mother to deal with this situation is to send in armed unit after this kid who are more than happy to resort to violence. You made it abundantly clear that you unapologetically support such violence, I'm wondering why.

Also what the father did is wrong and troubling, and there should be a better cooperation between the Australian and Lebanese government to resolve such matters other than having private citizens hire armed kidnap squads for cross border operations. Apparently I'm the crazy one for seeing a problem with this.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Aren't bribes usually the go to for things like this? I vaguely remember something like this happening where they just bribed everyone and that was that.

suboptimal posted:

I can't find it now, but I remember reading a story that involved Eric Haney (one of the earliest members of Delta) and one of his former unit members recovering a kid who had been taken back into Iran by his father without the consent of the divorced mother. They pulled it off without guns or any violence. Anyone else familiar with this story? Think it took place in the late 80s or early 90s.

Maybe this is the event I'm thinking of.

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 10, 2016

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

lynch_69 posted:

Also what the father did is wrong and troubling, and there should be a better cooperation between the Australian and Lebanese government to resolve such matters other than having private citizens hire armed kidnap squads for cross border operations. Apparently I'm the crazy one for seeing a problem with this.

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

Which isn't to say that I believe her children were actually kidnapped or that her actions were reasonable even if they were

Cool, we've reached agreement then. And I didn't even have to accuse you of being racist. :)

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Pro click for sure. The bulk of it is a continuous drone shot as APCs race across a field, nearly run into each other, slam into a wall and then jihadists pour out. It's like watching a command and conquer: generals battle.

Also that A-10 video linked above is worth a watch. *brrrrrt*

I'm still loving amazed that people think we can train these shitlords to be competent at well, anything. They simply rush at things as fast as possible, and spray bullets being as much a risk to their friends around them as the enemy. Their great at terrorizing the locals, but they can't fight for poo poo. And anytime they manage to pull anything off it's usually due to Russian or US backing which does all the heavy lifting. For a region that's been at war non stop since the history of man you'd think they'd be better at it. Yet their combat tactics resemble a bunch of meth'd up ICP types that inbred with the WBC.

And we think we can teach them to fight...

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

The loving tank attack around 9:20 is some poo poo.

It's like something taken from Arma3 or Battlefield 4 :stare:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

suboptimal posted:

Are you thinking of Not Without My Daughter? Ir was a book by Betty Mamood later turned into a movie by Sally Field.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
http://www.kurdistan24.net/en/news/5d5a4a1e-7fb7-4119-b0c8-d8a2f74b6a86/PHOTOS--Peshmerga-help-rescue-people-from-IS

quote:

Kurdish Peshmerga forces helped rescue Arab people in Makhmour front line, southwest of Erbil, who escaped from the Islamic State (IS) in Mosul. About 200 people were rescued, including men, women and children, who walked for six kilometers (almost four miles), attempting to find a way to escape the extremist group.
More people rescued by the Peshmerga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

MysteriousStranger posted:

I'm still loving amazed that people think we can train these shitlords to be competent at well, anything. They simply rush at things as fast as possible, and spray bullets being as much a risk to their friends around them as the enemy. Their great at terrorizing the locals, but they can't fight for poo poo. And anytime they manage to pull anything off it's usually due to Russian or US backing which does all the heavy lifting. For a region that's been at war non stop since the history of man you'd think they'd be better at it. Yet their combat tactics resemble a bunch of meth'd up ICP types that inbred with the WBC.

And we think we can teach them to fight...

lol holy poo poo. They're people not dogs. There is nothing intrinsic to "The Arab" that makes any of this so you big racist dummy.

BlackJosh fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 10, 2016

• Locked thread