Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Aix posted:

I dont really care wether his poem was Schmähkritik or whatever but I think its hella scary to prosecute people for things they said or wrote outside of a libel case. Who came up with that bullshit?

This is libel, he literally said Erdogan were a goat fucker on national TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Aix posted:

I dont really care wether his poem was Schmähkritik or whatever but I think its hella scary to prosecute people for things they said or wrote outside of a libel case. Who came up with that bullshit?

Art. 1 Grundgesetz, auch bekannt als die Menschenwürde.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Randler posted:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
But if Erdogan really hosed goats, wouldn't he be counted as animal?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

This is libel, he literally said Erdogan were a goat fucker on national TV.

Also, a paedophile. He called the Headturk of Turkey a paedophile.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Randler posted:

Yeah well, doesn't Erdogan always say we Europeans shouldn't be so hung up on Menschenwürde. :shrug:

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
Is it even possible for a comedy show to produce libel? Also, I dont think the Würde-Grundgesetz counts concerning public figures, especially fascist extremists like Erdogan. Gotta be pretty hosed in the head to have your honor be attackable by words too

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Making love with goats and diddling kids are serious crimes though, it's not just about honor. Also, as someone already said, you don't just get a free pass for adding "I'm just joking" or "I'm just asking questions" to every stupid or hateful thing that you say.

IMO it should be decided by a judge,on a case to case basis, what is satire and what is libel. Optimally, the judge should have some basic training in humor and clownery.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

waitwhatno posted:

Making love with goats and diddling kids are serious crimes though, it's not just about honor. Also, as someone already said, you don't just get a free pass for adding "I'm just joking" or "I'm just asking questions" to every stupid or hateful thing that you say.

Yeah, the things Böhmermann said about Erdogan are not satire, because they don't satirize anything. When comedians make jokes about Trump's small dick or the British premier loving a pig, that's ok because they like to talk about their dick and allegedly hosed a pig, respectively. But saying the same thing about Erdogan is not satire, just an insult.

I think Böhmermann needs to man up and accept the punishment. He's trying to be a political artist like pussy riot or something, he can't chicken out when it turns out actions have consequences and doing illegal stuff will get you in trouble with the law.

Edit: to clarify, I think his poem in context is an OK piece of political art, but if he intended it to just be a funny TV piece, he's an idiot. He's caused an international incident before, he knows how this works.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
https://twitter.com/Podolski10/status/718066407955673088

https://twitter.com/bushido/status/718725097234829312

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In defense of Böhmermann: while it's not inherently satiric to call someone a pedo and sodomite, in this case, it's calling a pedo and sodomite somebody who tries to use the legal system to avoid justified criticism. I (superficially) understood Böhmermann as making the point that Erdogan is entirely disinterested in what actually constitutes satire or not, he just wants to lock away everyone who somehow speaks up against him.
Not saying that's a good or well-made point, but that was my first intuition.

In summary,

Sereri posted:

Yeah well, doesn't Erdogan always say we Europeans shouldn't be so hung up on Menschenwürde. :shrug:

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, if you want a deeper argument,
So which one is it?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Aix posted:

Is it even possible for a comedy show to produce libel? Also, I dont think the Würde-Grundgesetz counts concerning public figures, especially fascist extremists like Erdogan. Gotta be pretty hosed in the head to have your honor be attackable by words too

Good job not reading the last page. There's actually a law that makes it worse to insult a president or similar.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mithaldu posted:

Good job not reading the last page. There's actually a law that makes it worse to insult a president or similar.

$103 posted:

Wer ein ausländisches Staatsoberhaupt oder wer mit Beziehung auf ihre Stellung ein Mitglied einer ausländischen Regierung, das sich in amtlicher Eigenschaft im Inland aufhält, oder einen im Bundesgebiet beglaubigten Leiter einer ausländischen diplomatischen Vertretung beleidigt, wird mit Freiheitsstrafe bis zu drei Jahren oder mit Geldstrafe, im Falle der verleumderischen Beleidigung mit Freiheitsstrafe von drei Monaten bis zu fünf Jahren bestraft.
?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Erdogan ist wohl ein ausländisches Staatsoberhaupt, wenn Wikipedia das politische System der Türkei zutreffend widergibt.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

pidan posted:

I think Böhmermann needs to man up and accept the punishment. He's trying to be a political artist like pussy riot or something, he can't chicken out when it turns out actions have consequences and doing illegal stuff will get you in trouble with the law.
Uh let's keep in mind that there are a few more steps on the road to any decision on punishment and we're not even at the stage where we're on that road yet. Right now there's basically "Turkey/Erdogan really wants to see him punished" and on some level this whole thing is all about how that alone shouldn't be enough.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Randler posted:

Erdogan ist wohl ein ausländisches Staatsoberhaupt, wenn Wikipedia das politische System der Türkei zutreffend widergibt.
My reading of the sentence is that it only applies to people who are currently "im Inland", that is, Germany?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Cingulate posted:

My reading of the sentence is that it only applies to people who are currently "im Inland", that is, Germany?

No, it's

-Head of states
-Members of government that are currently in Germany on official duty
-Leaders of diplomatic missions to Germany (generally ambassadors)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

code:
Wer
(
    ( ein ausländisches Staatsoberhaupt )
    oder
    ( mit Beziehung auf ihre Stellung
      ein Mitglied einer ausländischen Regierung,
      das sich in amtlicher Eigenschaft im Inland aufhält,
    )
    oder
    ( einen im Bundesgebiet beglaubigten Leiter
      einer ausländischen diplomatischen Vertretung
    )
)
beleidigt,
wird mit Freiheitsstrafe bis zu drei Jahren oder mit Geldstrafe,
im Falle der verleumderischen Beleidigung mit
Freiheitsstrafe von drei Monaten bis zu fünf Jahren bestraft.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, I get it. I somehow thought it was to prevent diplomatic disasters like people calling for assassinations of high ranking guests currently in the country. Obviously, I would make a terrible lawyer.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Cingulate posted:

Ok, I get it. I somehow thought it was to prevent diplomatic disasters like people calling for assassinations of high ranking guests currently in the country. Obviously, I would make a terrible lawyer.

It honestly is written kind of badly. It could be made much more clearly so people could understand it without paying extra good attention.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mathis Döpfner posted:

"Vorneweg möchte ich sagen: Ich finde Ihr Gedicht gelungen. Ich habe laut gelacht. Das zu sagen ist mir deshalb wichtig, weil man in den vergangenen Tagen ja keinen einzigen Beitrag – egal ob anklagend oder für Sie parteiergreifend – über Ihren Text gelesen hat, der nicht erst mal, gleichsam als Captatio benevolentiae, betonte, wie geschmacklos und primitiv und beleidigend Ihre Satire über Erdoğan sei.
Das ist ungefähr so originell und aussagekräftig, als wenn man einem Formel-1-Autobauer vorwirft, seine Autos seien aber schnell. Dass Ihr Gedicht geschmacklos, primitiv und beleidigend war, war ja – wenn ich es richtig verstanden habe – der Sinn der Sache. Sie haben doch einfach alle beleidigenden, insbesondere alle in der muslimischen Welt beleidigenden Stereotype zusammengerafft, um in grotesker Übertreibung eine Satire über den Umgang mit geschmackloser Satire zu machen.
Sie wollten nach dem ziemlich lendenlahmen Erdoğan-Veräppelungs-Song in der ARD die illiberale Reaktion des türkischen Staatspräsidenten ironisieren und durch Maximalprovokation die Leute verstören, um sie darüber nachdenken zu lassen, wie eine Gesellschaft mit Satire und – noch viel wichtiger – mit der Satire-Intoleranz von Nichtdemokraten umgeht. Ein Kunstwerk. Wie jede große Satire. Und als solches: frei. Oder doch nicht?"
I had the same intuition as Döpfner. Should I be concerned?

Mithaldu posted:

It honestly is written kind of badly. It could be made much more clearly so people could understand it without paying extra good attention.
I guess lawyers have reasons for why they write like they do.
I'm a scientist, I surely know how to write in the worst way possible.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Uh let's keep in mind that there are a few more steps on the road to any decision on punishment and we're not even at the stage where we're on that road yet. Right now there's basically "Turkey/Erdogan really wants to see him punished" and on some level this whole thing is all about how that alone shouldn't be enough.

As far as I can tell he'll probably get some kind of punishment unless Erdogan steps in to drop the charges (he won't). Insulting a person in this way is a crime, especially if the insulted person insists on prosecution. That said I think it's unlikely he'll go to jail.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Okay, everybody keeps talking about punishment. Did I miss something and he already got convicted? Because my last information is that the he is under investigation. And that quite a step from actually being convicted of anything.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
You know who is really hosed? The responsible ZDF editor who gave his/her thumbs up to broadcasting the poem initially. That person should probably look for a new job, because they will go nowhere in the ZDF.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'm glad Germany is standing up to the theocratic Muslim hordes with a strong defense of individual freedoms and liberal values

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
At this point, it seems punishment for Böhmermann - of any form - would be great for his currently not so well looking brand.

icantfindaname posted:

I'm glad Germany is standing up to the theocratic Muslim hordes with a strong defense of individual freedoms and liberal values
This is too Poe for me.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Cingulate posted:

This is too Poe for me.

You have to admit it is pretty funny seeing Germans/Euros complaining that the Muslims don't share their values, etc, and then turning around and locking a guy up for insulting the dictator that Bundesmutti cut a backroom deal with

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

It's still not clear whether you're that dumb or making your own attempt at satire.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

icantfindaname posted:

You have to admit it is pretty funny seeing Germans/Euros complaining that the Muslims don't share their values, etc, and then turning around and locking a guy up for insulting the dictator that Bundesmutti cut a backroom deal with

Noone's been locked up yet, and I'm pretty confident in saying that noone will get locked up

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

System Metternich posted:

Noone's been locked up yet, and I'm pretty confident in saying that noone will get locked up

What about Turkish journalists who are insufficiently eager to decry Böhermann?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Randler posted:

What about Turkish journalists who are insufficiently eager to decry Böhermann?

Well they're Turkish so why should we care?

az
Dec 2, 2005

Nothing brings our people together like some good old fashioned outrage over Majestätsbeleidigung.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

az posted:

Majestätsbeleidigung.

Kaiser Wilhelm did nothing wrong.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Dieter Hallervorden getting in on the free promo sponsored by Erdogan.

https://soundcloud.com/sunrockstudios/erdogan-zeig-mich-an

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

https://twitter.com/yanisvaroufakis/status/719438182878691328

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

quote:

Durch "Multikulti"-Politik hätten Leute wie Claudia Roth in der Silvesternacht in Köln im übertragenen Sinne "mitvergewaltigt", meint AfD-Politiker Markus Frohnmaier. Das ist keine unzulässige Schmähkritik, entschied nun das OLG Köln.

Die Meinungsfreiheit ist noch nicht ganz am Boden.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
http://www.jetzt.de/jan-boehmermann/kai-diekmann-faket-boehmermann-interview-auf-facebook

I think no matter how you stand on the punchability of Boehmermann's face, Diekmann for sure is the bigger douche with this.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

And B. is getting sued but they are also starting the removal of §103, but §185 will stay. Plus, if the suit drags out long enough, B may dodge 103.

Good compromises all around.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

It's got people sufficiently riled up that we interrupted an intensive three-day business conference today when someone saw the news on their iPhone as Mutti was giving her announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Mithaldu posted:

And B. is getting sued

Thats up to the StA and not yet decided. Even if they go forward and indict him, the court could still tell them to get hosed and refuse to have a trial. The governments decision gives the prosecution the option to take it to court it's not a mandate to do so.

quote:

but they are also starting the removal of §103, but §185 will stay. Plus, if the suit drags out long enough, B may dodge 103.

That would just mean he dodges the harsher penalties under that section, but he could still face a guilty verdict under section 185 (§ 2 Abs. 3 StGB).