Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

They could've done that, but it doesn't sound better than what we got, and Marvel is making a shitload of money off their movies, so I don't know why they'd want to.

They would have made a lot of money either way. I was just thinking about the story issues the Phase 1 movies had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The MSJ posted:

They would have made a lot of money either way. I was just thinking about the story issues the Phase 1 movies had.

I don't know. It seemed pretty organic. Especially compared to the clustercunt that is the DCU so far.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well it was all still a new thing. Any one of those non Iron Man films could've failed.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I think Avengers does a decent job of establishing its characters and their relationships. Tony and Bruce hit it off as friends and their relationship is cute and funny; there did not need to be an entire film dedicated to build that up because all you really need is a scene or two.

But if you're getting into a time machine to try and make a perfect Marvel Cinematic Universe, I suppose you could make a few adjustments based on the four missteps of Phase One:

1.) Iron Man 2 sucked due to studio meddling.
2.) The Incredible Hulk sucked and Ed Norton bailed.
3.) Captain America had a rushed third act.
4.) Hiring Joss Whedon to direct the Avengers.

If you don't meddle with Iron Man 2 then you can have Favreau direct The Avengers instead of Whedon and get a better Iron Man 2. If you drop the Incredible Hulk film, which doesn't matter because everyone knows the scoop on the Hulk, you could have two Captain America movies heading into The Avengers instead of just one that was forced to rush to set up the icicle ending.

Of course Marvel is very successful so they can survive some missteps, which makes everyone's proclamations that Guardians of the Galaxy Ant-Man Doctor Strange is going to tank the entire machine extremely silly.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Hulk is one of Marvel's best known characters, so it only makes sense that they would try to make him a star in a single character movie.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why would not hiring Whedon for The Avengers have been good?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Steve2911 posted:

Why would not hiring Whedon for The Avengers have been good?

Yeah, there's better directors out there but Jon Favreau isn't one of them. Christ.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Meanwhile, over at BSS:

lomzus posted:

Vision ha ha

Tony just can't handle Vision's swag.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Now with Banner gone, Vision is Stark's new therapist? Wanda looks miffed that her date got interrupted again. You got money Tony, hire Doc Samson or whoever.

Proposition Joe posted:

But if you're getting into a time machine to try and make a perfect Marvel Cinematic Universe, I suppose you could make a few adjustments based on the four missteps of Phase One:

1.) Iron Man 2 sucked due to studio meddling.
2.) The Incredible Hulk sucked and Ed Norton bailed.
3.) Captain America had a rushed third act.
4.) Hiring Joss Whedon to direct the Avengers.

There's also The Avengers handwaving away the ending of Thor. I'd expect with Loki as the main villain, finding a way to get Thor to Earth without a Bifrost would play a bigger part in the story.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The idea of a She-Hulk court room drama or comedy gets brought up pretty frequently, and it is a good idea. But what I want to see even more is an In Treatment-like show or movie about Doc Sampson having to deal with superhero therapy.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, there's better directors out there but Jon Favreau isn't one of them. Christ.

Favreau is a way better director than Whedon. My proof: one of them made Iron Man, the other one made Avengers.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

PriorMarcus posted:

Jungle Book is supposed to be really good

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

The third Bourne movie did it well. The second one was really loving bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyZU7lfGjyk This is all those same ideas executed poorly.

The Desh fight owns, however.

Disagree. That scene too owns.

The MSJ posted:

Boyd Holbrook is playing "the chief of security for a global corporation pursuing Jackman’s Wolverine " in next year's Wolverine movie.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/boyd-holbrook-wolverine-3-hugh-jackman-1201749479/

This might possibly be taken from Jason Aaron's run on Wolverine, where a private military contractor pursues Wolverine to imbue their soldiers with his abilities. It involved lazer claws and a lot of explosions. It was great.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Yoshifan823 posted:

Favreau is a way better director than Whedon. My proof: one of them made Iron Man, the other one made Avengers.

Sow now we all hate Avengers 1 AND 2? Which ones do we like again? None of them?

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
Avengers 1 was not pleasant to watch at all.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't really like or care about the MCU but Avengers 1 is fine. You'd have to go out of your way to suggest it's anything below decent.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Steve2911 posted:

I don't really like or care about the MCU but Avengers 1 is fine. You'd have to go out of your way to suggest it's anything below decent.

But, but, but...it's shot like a TV show!!! :argh:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Shageletic posted:

Disagree. That scene too owns.

This might possibly be taken from Jason Aaron's run on Wolverine, where a private military contractor pursues Wolverine to imbue their soldiers with his abilities. It involved lazer claws and a lot of explosions. It was great.

I wouldn't be surprised if they also use this as the way to introduce X-23 AKA the All-New Wolverine. This is Hugh Jackman's last film as Wolverine, I believe, and that would the most obvious way to address movies without him. Ironically the first arc of her new book has a shady corporation clone her - which I suppose would become her origin if Fox decided to use her in this movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Greataval posted:

Avengers 1 was not pleasant to watch at all.
You cannot be serious.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Steve2911 posted:

I enjoyed Avengers and AoU when I saw them in theaters, but Iron Man is on a wholly different level. Iron Man, Cap 1 and Guardians are the three movies from Marvel Studios that I like and can rewatch the most.

Also Avengers does look like warmed over butt.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Avengers 1 is no masterpiece theatre but it is fun as poo poo. Watched it for a second time recently and it still holds up

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Yvonmukluk posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they also use this as the way to introduce X-23 AKA the All-New Wolverine. This is Hugh Jackman's last film as Wolverine, I believe, and that would the most obvious way to address movies without him. Ironically the first arc of her new book has a shady corporation clone her - which I suppose would become her origin if Fox decided to use her in this movie.

Didn't Wolverine already kill X-23 in one of the movies?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Didn't Wolverine already kill X-23 in one of the movies?

That was Lady Deathstrike.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

You cannot be serious.

It's boring, is shot poorly in basically every conceivable way and I'm not concerned enough about the well being of cars to care about anything that happens. It's better than AoU but it is still bad. There are tons of good action movies I can watch the Avengers over something like Dredd or Fury Road?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Iron Man and GotG are in a tier of their own as far as Marvel movies go, I would recommend both to basically anyone

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Yoshifan823 posted:

One of them also made IRON MAN 2, which is one of the more unpleasant movies I've seen so I'm still going to give it to Whedon on that front.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

You cannot be serious.

Yeah, anyone who disagrees with you is just trolling.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Avengers is really good and fun, unlike Age of Utron, which was mediocre and eh, and Batman v Superman, which was ok and urgh.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Avengers is way better than AoU because it plays to Whedon's strengths for the bulk of the movie; it's largely these guys meeting for the first time and quipping with each other and these big personalities clashing. And that's fine.

A lot of the action is poorly done or nonsensical. The first car chase has nobody we actually care about in it; the Loki/Cap fight is pretty embarrassing to watch with cap spinning around in his tights but it gets good when Tony shows up; the Thor/IM fight is so pointless and ends abruptly and super weirdly; the stuff on the carrier is actually fairly solid with everyone having interesting and varied stuff to do; the last fight in New York has good and bad parts but is largely a fight with the ugliest CGI gray blobby aliens possible.

It's an okay movie that was way overhyped for what it actually was because it was the first time you had a major crossover like that, so there was an insane amount of goodwill. The recent cineD backlash is overblown but a response to that I think. It's rewatchable largely on the strength of the acting and the fun team up tone but there's also not a ton of stuff to knock you out of your seat. Like there's no JP t-rex chasing car sequence or anything approaching Fury Road or T2's action sequences, which is weird for one of the bigger blockbusters in recent years.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
For me the Avengers is kinda meh It's hard to watch the visuals are pretty bland. The dialog gets old real fast. The action is a mess. Its another marvel movie that gets a pass for being "fun". I enjoyed IM1 for being a good entry and was solid overrall.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Steve2911 posted:

I don't know. It seemed pretty organic. Especially compared to the clustercunt that is the DCU so far.

Clustercunt.

By all metrics things are moving along swimmingly. Justice League filming, Wonder Woman filming. No plans to cancel the other movies. In fact two more added.

But no, let's be Devin Faraci and make up bullshit that everything has gone to hell.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vintersorg posted:

By all metrics things are moving along swimmingly. Justice League filming, Wonder Woman filming. No plans to cancel the other movies. In fact two more added.
What does the continuing production or success of the movies have to do with how good they are?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah, anyone who disagrees with you is just trolling.
We're talking about a movie that made over a billion dollars worldwide, enjoyed by 92% of critics (82% of top critics) and 91% of audiences, has a 4.6 out of 5 with over 10,000 reviews on Amazon, and an 8.1 out of 10 with nearly 100,000 ratings on IMDb, so when someone says the movie is "bad", the thought does cross my mind, yes. At the very least I imagine people who think 'The Avengers' is bad recognize and acknowledge that they're in the extreme minority, right?

Like I'm not saying that disliking 'The Avengers' is impossible or that people aren't allowed to dislike it (heaven knows I've got some questionable cinematic likes/dislikes), but it makes me raise my eyebrows a little bit. At the very least I'd be interesting in talking about why someone feels that way, rather than dropping a one-sentence post and peaceing-out.

Case in point....

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It's boring, is shot poorly in basically every conceivable way and I'm not concerned enough about the well being of cars to care about anything that happens. It's better than AoU but it is still bad. There are tons of good action movies I can watch the Avengers over something like Dredd or Fury Road?
I'm not saying there aren't better action movies (there are a shitload), but I definitely disagree with it being boring or shot poorly. Maybe it's because I haven't had cable or really watched TV for over a decade so I can't say "it looks like a TV show!" like I've seen other people do, because I honestly don't have a wide enough frame of reference about modern television to make that statement. Like just because there are dozens of action movies that are better than 'The Avengers' doesn't suddenly make it "bad", at least not in my book. It's still a good time and I still enjoy watching it.
The Avengers is easily my #3 Marvel movie to date, behind Guardians of the Galaxy and The Winter Soldier. Although I go back and forth on whether Ant-Man and/or Iron Man 3 bump The Avengers out of the #3 spot.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 10, 2016

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Steve2911 posted:

What does the continuing production or success of the movies have to do with how good they are?

It means despite all the backlash and overblown bullshit that everything is going full steam ahead. There is no clustercunt as you so beautifully put it. People actually do want to see the universe Zack Snyder is directing.

If we followed that logic the door would have shut when Iron Man 2 came out.

There's room for both and it infuriates me that people want to homogenize the poo poo out of everything.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Like I'm not saying that disliking 'The Avengers' is impossible or that people aren't allowed to dislike it (heaven knows I've got some questionable cinematic likes/dislikes), but it makes me raise my eyebrows a little bit.

Dude, yes you are. You're "raising your eyebrows" and making sure to point out how in the minority they are. You're telling people "they cannot be serious" in finding the Avengers unenjoyable.

If you want to be that guy then fine but don't dance around the truth like this.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Guy A. Person posted:

Dude, yes you are. You're "raising your eyebrows" and making sure to point out how in the minority they are. You're telling people "they cannot be serious" in finding the Avengers unenjoyable.

If you want to be that guy then fine but don't dance around the truth like this.
My one-sentence post had as much effort in it as the one I was quoting. That wasn't by accident. And I outright said that people can dislike a movie, and we could even talk about it in ways that aren't one-sentence no-effort posts. That wasn't by accident either. :)

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

We're talking about a movie that made over a billion dollars worldwide, enjoyed by 92% of critics (82% of top critics) and 91% of audiences, has a 4.6 out of 5 with over 10,000 reviews on Amazon, and an 8.1 out of 10 with nearly 100,000 ratings on IMDb, so when someone says the movie is "bad", the thought does cross my mind, yes. At the very least I imagine people who think 'The Avengers' is bad recognize and acknowledge that they're in the extreme minority, right?

Like I'm not saying that disliking 'The Avengers' is impossible or that people aren't allowed to dislike it (heaven knows I've got some questionable cinematic likes/dislikes), but it makes me raise my eyebrows a little bit. At the very least I'd be interesting in talking about why someone feels that way, rather than dropping a one-sentence post and peaceing-out.

Case in point....

I'm not saying there aren't better action movies (there are a shitload), but I definitely disagree with it being boring or shot poorly. Maybe it's because I haven't had cable or really watched TV for over a decade so I can't say "it looks like a TV show!" like I've seen other people do, because I honestly don't have a wide enough frame of reference about modern television to make that statement.
The Avengers is easily my #3 Marvel movie to date, behind Guardians of the Galaxy and The Winter Soldier. Although I go back and forth on whether Ant-Man and/or Iron Man 3 bump The Avengers out of the #3 spot.

There are many tv shows that have much better cinematography than Avengers.

It isn't that there are better action movies than the Avengers it is that the Avengers is a poor action movie. The action sequences are flat and there are no stakes nor consequences (unless you're a car).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Xenomrph posted:

I'm not saying there aren't better action movies (there are a shitload), but I definitely disagree with it being boring or shot poorly. Maybe it's because I haven't had cable or really watched TV for over a decade so I can't say "it looks like a TV show!" like I've seen other people do, because I honestly don't have a wide enough frame of reference about modern television to make that statement.

I think Winter Soldier is the best of the Marvel stuff - I REALLY enjoyed it, followed by Iron Man 1. I really felt like the Raccoon was the only good part of Guardians of the Galaxy - everything else was forgetful especially the other characters, and Ant-Man was actually pretty good, too. Thor had a ratio of 3:1 of boring to fun.

Avengers 1 is the only movie in a long while to put me to sleep - both times I watched it. The characters felt like simplified, uninteresting versions of their individual movie counterparts and the action scenes relied more on going "Oh! I recognize these characters!" more than being actually good and well done.

Avengers 2 was everything lazy and bad about Avengers 1 taken up another $X million dollars in budget.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 10, 2016

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tezcatlipoca posted:

There are many tv shows that have much better cinematography than Avengers.

It isn't that there are better action movies than the Avengers it is that the Avengers is a poor action movie. The action is flat and there are no stakes nor consequences (unless you're a car).
I guess I just disagree then? The movie shows a literal interdimensional invasion ripping Manhattan a new rear end in a top hat, while a half dozen heroes do whatever they can to stop the destruction. The action is entertaining as heck, does a good job of showcasing the different characters' strengths and weaknesses (and their teamwork), and even manages to make the "non-powered" characters like Hawkeye or Black Widow feel like they're contributing to the action in meaningful, visually interesting ways.

For some perspective, I'm not saying 'The Avengers' is as good as The Winter Soldier or GotG. Those two are head-and-shoulders above the bulk of the MCU in my view.

Edit--

quote:

The characters felt like simplified, uninteresting versions of their individual movie counterparts and the action scenes relied more on going "Oh! I recognize these characters!" more than being actually good and well done.
I can understand this criticism, although it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the movie. Like, it's a team-up movie, that's the point. No singular character is going to be the movie-long focus like they are in their solo movies, so yeah things will be watered down a bit because you're catering to an ensemble cast. How would you have done it differently? Like, can you give specific examples?

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vintersorg posted:

It means despite all the backlash and overblown bullshit that everything is going full steam ahead. There is no clustercunt as you so beautifully put it. People actually do want to see the universe Zack Snyder is directing.

If we followed that logic the door would have shut when Iron Man 2 came out.

There's room for both and it infuriates me that people want to homogenize the poo poo out of everything.

Of course there's room for both. That doesn't mean that what we've seen so far hasn't been terrible. I'm not sure what you're trying to argue. I'm not saying that the series will be forever bad or that it should stop being made. Just that the current entries are awful.

• Locked thread