Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Default gamepad controls are fine, good even. Codemasters is the best at gamepad racing. Just start with slow cars to get a feel for it first, work your way up through the eras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Default settings feel really nice. Spend a few more hours getting acclimated to the game. Rally is a far different beast than road racing. You've gotta be thinking a few corners ahead of the car.

There's far more throttle/brake modulation needed during a rally. Moments of flat out throttle are rare.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

holocaust bloopers posted:

Default settings feel really nice. Spend a few more hours getting acclimated to the game. Rally is a far different beast than road racing. You've gotta be thinking a few corners ahead of the car.

There's far more throttle/brake modulation needed during a rally. Moments of flat out throttle are rare.

It took me forever to grasp using the sidewalls on my tires to slow down.

I broke down and ordered the fanatec handbrake.

View talk: I always go cockpit in any driving game I can. I'm a big dumb idiot with triple screens and all that though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea a lot of rally is about 'catching' the car on corner exits. Tough to do, but man does it make me feel like a cool guy catching a lateral air and getting on the gas.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gently caress Sweden

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I got a 970gtx today, and cranked everything to ultra. God drat this game is beautiful.

Also, I tried Pike's Peak.

(Noone died in that, both got away with minor injuries)

In keeping with my stupid questions: I just spent the last of my money on a Pike's Peak car, and I realized that I've been playing this game for ~20 hours and I have like... 4 or 5 cars total. What's a good way to get money? I want to start trying out new classes.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Play custom events. gently caress the career.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

With the increased money in open you could make some good cash just doing hillclimb. I was always fond of rallycross for fast cash though, but the FFB issues rallycross has right now means I can't do that.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Threash posted:

Bought this game on a whim for the console this week and it's been really fun while difficult too so far. Does anybody that has been using a controller on the PC have any suggestions for tweaks to the controller settings? It seems a little difficult to use the default ones for fast cars so far at least. Or is it just an issue of getting used to speed, etc... on my part still?

I'm also interested in hearing what kind of controller settings other people have settled on. I've played this game for 17 hours, and while I'm far from great, I feel comfortable with the following steering settings:

Sensitivity: 80
Linearity: 30
Deadzone: 5

Earlier in the thread several people recommended using a high sensitivity to allow sharper steering adjustments, which seems like a good idea. I tried different values of linearity, and low settings felt more intuitive to me, but I suspect it's up to taste. The deadzone setting is slightly lower than the actual deadzone on my 360 controller, which allows me to make small adjustments without fighting the stick. Everything else is at default.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Hillclimbs would be better if there were courses that aren't Pike's peak.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Norns posted:

I broke down and ordered the fanatec handbrake.

Is this common for sim set ups? I was curious about handbrakes and if it acts as a axis.

This game makes me want to buy a wheel but I have a tiny desk and a 24 inch monitor. Nor do I currently have excess funds for a 300 dollar toy.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Is this common for sim set ups? I was curious about handbrakes and if it acts as a axis.

This game makes me want to buy a wheel but I have a tiny desk and a 24 inch monitor. Nor do I currently have excess funds for a 300 dollar toy.

I've never needed a handbrake before now. Yes it's on an axis
http://www.fanatec.com/us-en/sim-racing-hardware/clubsport-handbrake-us.html

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

julian assflange posted:

gently caress Sweden

Truer words have never been spoken. But there is a sort of thrill when you get it right, just grazing the snow banks and blasting through the narrow sections without wrecking.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The narrow sections can be really frustrating but when it opens up even a bit you get a lot of room to have fun.

Finland is always the most fun though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

SPACE HOMOS posted:

The fastest guys I know have their wheel clamped to their desk and screens smaller than 24", don't feel like cockpits and super triple screen setups like that are necessary. Standalone handbrakes aren't super common, the Fanatec one I think can only connect to a Fanatec wheel and those are super expensive. I use my G27's shifter as a handbrake, a lot of people do the same and if they don't have a shifter they just use a button on their wheel.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
switching pikes peak so you can do it in the stratos on full gravel is one thing you should probably do, just as an fyi.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

Also, I tried Pike's Peak.

(Noone died in that, both got away with minor injuries)

In keeping with my stupid questions: I just spent the last of my money on a Pike's Peak car, and I realized that I've been playing this game for ~20 hours and I have like... 4 or 5 cars total. What's a good way to get money? I want to start trying out new classes.
This is the least surprising GIF I've never seen before ever: you can so almost do that turn flat out, but, if you don't let off a tiny bit before that hump, you're almost certainly going down the mountainside.

Not sure if they fixed it (they might have, I think they mentioned tweaking earnings), but the best way to take in credits was: unlock the highest difficulty you can in Hillclimb (preferably Master), then move on to Custom Hillclimbs with max events (4) and one stage so you get 125% (for Master, might be a different multiplier for others) earnings for length and only one stage (normal Master Hillclimbs force full runs only, custom ones don't), then you Abandon Run as soon as you cross the start line on your first run (abandoning the first one doesn't remove the no restart bonus) and do the second run normally as fast as you can (if you crash and need to restart, you at worst end up even with having not abandon the first run). This used to allow you to make 200,000 credits every ~3 minutes in the ideal case (able to get 1st on Master difficulty with no restarts and RNGing a short section for the four events) and was by far the best credits per time spent.

You can do similar with the Custom Rallycross, but it used to be much worse money per time (still way, way, way better than ordinary Rally though). The major downside to the Hillclimb method is it gets really, really repetitive; then again that happens anyway just trying to upgrade the Hillclimb cars. :v:

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

My god the Alpine is an amazing car.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Gerblederp posted:

:agreed:

I've always wanted a real one.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Finally finished my first rally with the dirtygoons league. Fun stuff, thank you for setting that up. :)

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Holy gently caress this game is hard. Second stage I drive is a night stage in Greece. I hit something and my lights are broken. It's pitch black :stare:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

bUm posted:

unlock the highest difficulty you can in Hillclimb (preferably Master)
Welp, there's my problem right there. I've only unlocked Clubman in Hillclimb. v:v:v
I'll give it a try though, thanks.

Gerblederp posted:

Yeah, I tried it on a whim and it's becoming one of my favourites. It sounds amazing. :allears:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

beedeebee posted:

Holy gently caress this game is hard. Second stage I drive is a night stage in Greece. I hit something and my lights are broken. It's pitch black :stare:

Wait until you lose your lights in Finland, that is true terror.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

This game is the real deal. Having so much fun on the Bone.

Plus - it gives me an excuse to post my favorite Marcus Gronholm clip ever. The final gesture just sells the whole thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqQhQSbe6fw

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Gerblederp posted:

:stare:

This might be the perfect car.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Does anyone else have trouble keeping up with the codriver? I can understand conceptually what he's saying, but while driving all I can catch is the occasional jump maybe into left 6, and then for whatever reason he says 200. It's like numberwang with cars.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

skooma512 posted:

Does anyone else have trouble keeping up with the codriver? I can understand conceptually what he's saying, but while driving all I can catch is the occasional jump maybe into left 6, and then for whatever reason he says 200. It's like numberwang with cars.

IMO the timing varies between locations. I set Monaco and Germany to early, everywhere else other than Finland to normal, and on Finland I wish there was a button where you could punch the codriver in the head. *left 4 crest tightens that should have been double caution left 4 jump tightens 2 rocks outside*

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

skooma512 posted:

"200" and such refers to how long a straight you'll have (in meters) after the last thing he said. So if he calls something like "right 4, 80" then after the right 4 you'll have 80 meters before you reach whatever he calls next/run off a cliff.

If you feel like you don't have enough time to process what he's saying before you reach stuff, then you can change his timing in the options so he calls things earlier.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Controller chat.

I started playing with a 360 controller on PC and thought it was ok on default, then I tried a better setup and it massively aided my ability to drive. IMO, you simply cannot turn in or adjust fast enough with the defaults.

On PC I ended up using:

sens - 90
lin - 15
dead - 20
sat - 100

It will feel crazy at first but its SO much more responsive. I was never able to skandi flick on default because it felt like you would have to set it up so long before corners.

Also do not think that because you are on a controller you need driver aids. Driver aids ACTIVELY DIMINISH what you can do with the cars and make you slower in the long run.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 12, 2016

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
One thing I wanted to check was about controller issues. I use a Logitech F710 and often I have to disconnect the dongle and reconnect after having loaded Dirt Rally and the controller would not respond. This then means when I load the game back up all my controller settings have been reset to default. Is this my lovely controller? Or the game?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I have this game on PS4 and just used the default controls. It was kinda surprising in my first race when I wanted to use my handbrake and instead changed my camera; but I got used to it. Any other PS4 users want to chime in if they use the defaults or changed some settings? And if so, why?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So if you're the sim racing kind and want more rallying, a rally mod is starting to mature in Assetto Corsa. My driving is not.

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."

Red_Fred posted:

One thing I wanted to check was about controller issues. I use a Logitech F710 and often I have to disconnect the dongle and reconnect after having loaded Dirt Rally and the controller would not respond. This then means when I load the game back up all my controller settings have been reset to default. Is this my lovely controller? Or the game?

I had exactly this when using my PS3 dualshock on my laptop using those rough MotioninJoy drivers. I then eventually found some combination of settings in MiJ where this didn't happen. I actually got a proper PC joypad and didn't have any more issues.

I don't know the F710 specifically, but does it have its own custom drivers that prevent Windows from seeing it as a typical controller?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

njsykora posted:

So if you're the sim racing kind and want more rallying, a rally mod is starting to mature in Assetto Corsa. My driving is not.

Man I caved in and bought a g29 just at the right time. I also bought AC last weekend.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

beedeebee posted:

I have this game on PS4 and just used the default controls. It was kinda surprising in my first race when I wanted to use my handbrake and instead changed my camera; but I got used to it. Any other PS4 users want to chime in if they use the defaults or changed some settings? And if so, why?

I personally prefer making X handbrake and circle gear up, but this is all muscle memory from when I learned on Forza.

Is the goon league just open to PC players? I searched for it using my PSN account and couldn't find it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Godzilla07 posted:

I personally prefer making X handbrake and circle gear up, but this is all muscle memory from when I learned on Forza.

Is the goon league just open to PC players? I searched for it using my PSN account and couldn't find it.

I don't know if leagues are platform locked (it'd be loving stupid if they were), but you should be able to log into the racenet website with your PSN login and click the link in the OP to find it.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Leagues are platform locked indeed. No idea why they decided to do that since everything goes through their own servers.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Red_Fred posted:

I have an official xbox 360 wired controller and an aftermarket (afterglow) 360 controller. For whatever reason I like the aftermarket one more with Dirt Rally but every once in awhile for reasons unknown to me I have to disconnect and reconnect it to the USB slot because the controls get all hosed up. This immediately fixes it but it has caused me to jump start a few daily races. At least It always seems to happen in between races, never while I'm actually doing a stage. So yeah controller gets weird once in awhile for me too but at least its an easy fix.

julian assflange posted:

These things are always platform locked. I'd wager PC players would be much faster as it is easier to get a good setup for playing.

True, but there are loads of PC players that use controllers. You'd think if any game could be cross platform this would be a good choice... bummer.

old beast lunatic fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 12, 2016

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
These things are always platform locked. I'd wager PC players would be much faster as it is easier to get a good setup for playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

"soft" snowbanks didn't get added to Monaco afterall :(

• Locked thread