Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

SpaceDrake posted:

Out of curiosity, when you say you pulled some nice relics, did you pull on the beginner banner or on Tactics? Tactics has some nice stuff, and on Monday the FF6 Relm event starts, which will give us Relm for the first time and re-issue Celes & Shadow, and makes it a bit easier to get Strago (he's available in the portraits, but very deep). Pulling on either one could net you some very nice things, though Tactics is notable for having two extremely useful items for Ramza (the sword and the armor) and a similar caliber item for Agrias (the shield). I'd take a swing at Tactics before it goes away in a week, if you can manage it!

I did pull on the Tactics banner but sadly didn't get any Tactics specific gear, as the only two things I have from that are the Mythril Sword and Vest which you get from doing the first two event dungeons. I have 45 Mythril right now so I'm gonna try and rush through a few Core dungeons to get five more so I can pull again today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Dilemma.

I have no ssb for greg. But I really want to break him, and to date my rule of thumb has been to only break people I get gear for.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Once the chocobo store is open later this week you'll have more than enough memory crystals anyway.

Greg is an excellent jack of all trades so just go for it.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

GREG is A++ and I highly recommend you break his cap along with ya boy BUTZ. Both very good strong characters even with their default SBs.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Can also throw in a vote in support of breaking our good friend Gilgamesh. He even has a passable default SB!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
How I decide whether to use souls/lodes on people I want/am using is looking down the dungeon list and seeing if their thing is there (and close by; I had Vivi hit 50 when his MC was still a long, long way away, so I just used a lode for his MC) and checking the upcoming events on kongbakpao and seeing if it'll be coming soon there. If yes to either/both, it's probably good to wait, but if they're not available in either or not until an event we won't get for like half a year, go ahead and make them now, provided you don't have something else of higher priority or something.

Gilgamesh in particular won't be available outside of the HoR for a long, long time, and is a very useful character, so getting his crystals is probably worth it even without his SBs.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Every featured item on Relm 1 is something I want so I might use the new Daily Mythril for that. Shadow can help cheese Very Weak phases of bosses, Relm would be my strongest Medica, my first Regen and my first 5*Staff Rod, Strago is another chance at a 5* Rod, Celes is great, and Drill will really help make up for my lack of wall.

Basch 1 looks really good too. Balthier's sounds OP paired with Lifesiphon/Ace Striker, Fran has a stronger and longer lasting Full Break, and Basch has HotE with a boost in Holy damage. Only duds are Ashe who is okay and would at least share a relic with Terra, and Penelo, who conflicts with Shout.

After those two, I need to make sure I have 50 set aside if we get the White Magic and Summoning Lucky Banners. Need to save up for a Wall again so I need to save for BSB fest, and if that fails me, an XIV event.

Edit: v I really want to draw on Kuja 2 but I'll be low on Mythril and neither banner has a Quina relic. I really like Beatrix though so I'll probably cave.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 10, 2016

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Only interesting banners in the (relatively) near future before the next fest are Relm (could argue a strong case for either banner), Basch 1 and Kuja 2. Saving everything for the leading man and Beatrix' SSBs.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
For those playing at home, Greg is Gilgamesh's nickname.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Lechtansi posted:

For those playing at home, Greg is Gilgamesh's nickname.

:itisaff14joke:

400 stamina down in Mist cave with no sign of either FFT's RM2. Gonna start running through Sundaily, see if they don't cough it up there, instead.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!
I recently got back into FFRK after just logging in once in a while to claim my free mythril and do the occasional relic draw, and thanks to the tips in this thread, I managed to beat my first ultimate fight in the FFT event. (I only finished with an Expert rating--I got unlucky with some damage medals in the first phase of the fight, and might try to master it later, but I'm still happy I managed to finish the whole event.) I have Ramza with Shout and my best MND gear set as my RW right now (my ID is uSpe), but I find I'm not getting a lot of gil with him. Are everyone's lists just full of people shouting? I also have Garnet's Divine Guardian/Tyro's wall/Yuffie's medica that I could set instead...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Amaryllis posted:

I recently got back into FFRK after just logging in once in a while to claim my free mythril and do the occasional relic draw, and thanks to the tips in this thread, I managed to beat my first ultimate fight in the FFT event. (I only finished with an Expert rating--I got unlucky with some damage medals in the first phase of the fight, and might try to master it later, but I'm still happy I managed to finish the whole event.) I have Ramza with Shout and my best MND gear set as my RW right now (my ID is uSpe), but I find I'm not getting a lot of gil with him. Are everyone's lists just full of people shouting? I also have Garnet's Divine Guardian/Tyro's wall/Yuffie's medica that I could set instead...

I've noticed that with "meta-defining" SBs like the Hastegas/Shout/HotE, you get quick bursts of income as people do ++/+++/Ultimates more than anything else. If you want consistent gil, you typically use a medica of some sort, preferrably one with a secondary effect. Hymn of the Fayth and Dreamstage both are pretty reliable for seeing use.

That said, if you're gauging interest by how much dosh you get, you're probably never gonna see a lot in general; there's a lot of fish in the sea, and especially with Shout, a lot of people whaled super hard for it.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

KataraniSword posted:

That said, if you're gauging interest by how much dosh you get, you're probably never gonna see a lot in general; there's a lot of fish in the sea, and especially with Shout, a lot of people whaled super hard for it.
Makes sense. I was lucky to get it on my first try (and then the armband on my second, and then a lot of nothing after that). I find I'm always low on gil now that I'm trying to catch up with making/honing abilities, but the RW rewards are just drops in the ocean, now that I think on it.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
How much defensive benefit do you get from being in the backrow?

Turns out I don't have enough eggs to get greg to where he needs to be, so I'm thinking about using tauntilate with tyro (lvl 72) for wiegraf. I can either do it front row with defender or backrow with my 6* peacemaker.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
As amazing Shout is, I've only used it in the Ultimate and an FF3 Elite dungeon since I have no 3 synergy.

That said, I don't know how much a lot is for summons. I normally get around 20 for Fran's Shatterheart.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Do I really have to be level 50 to get Agraris?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Erdricks posted:

How much defensive benefit do you get from being in the backrow?

Turns out I don't have enough eggs to get greg to where he needs to be, so I'm thinking about using tauntilate with tyro (lvl 72) for wiegraf. I can either do it front row with defender or backrow with my 6* peacemaker.

It's a 50% damage reduction unless the ability is long range (aka ignores row). Everything that Weigraf uses except his standard (retaliate-able) attack is long range. This means aside from his normal attack (which Retaliate is causing to miss anyway), it doesn't matter which row you're in, things are going to do full damage.

In other words, if you're Tauntaliating, it doesn't much matter where you put your retaliator here.

Tae posted:

The "difficulty" is less a hard "you must be this level to ride this attraction" and more "this is what level the guys you're taking on are". A Difficulty 50 fight is gonna be decently punchy and you're going to want some sort of damage mitigation (aka Shellga, Protectga, and/or a wall SB) for whatever boss you come against.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Don't really have any interest in Kuja's banner since now I have three physical FF9 relics and three magical ones as well. I can field any sort of team I want. I can even have Ramza borrow Eiko's Fairy Flute for extra shenanigans. So yeah all the Mythril I'm building up now is going towards Basch once Tactics goes away.

That being said I'll probably throw some 100 gems at the Relm banners and Kuja banners too.

Tae posted:

Difficulty is just a relative indicator. It doesn't directly correspond to level, or the Difficulty 140 Ultimates would be impossible.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Am I crazy for considering slotting Cura in on Quistis? I rarely get to exhaust even one of her spells in difficult content, and it would allow her to spot-heal for more than long enough for Regen to take over.

Alternatively, I could just -cut- her, bring a fifth fourth DPS, and go back to RWing Mighty Guard? But then i'd go back to "only" having a 30% Boostga and no Hand of the Emperor, which seems worse than just having her help heal.

Niton fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 10, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean right now, I started yesterday and I have an average of 25 but I can maybe barely do the "normal" EXP dungeon without anyone dying.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Tae posted:

I mean right now, I started yesterday and I have an average of 25 but I can maybe barely do the "normal" EXP dungeon without anyone dying.

Even doing just the first stage of the xp dungeon, retreating out, and starting over is worth it. Do the highest you can handle.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Tae posted:

Your best bet would be to grab Friend Code for a Roaming Warrior from http://ffrk.logicaltrinkets.com/ with a powerful AoE Soul Break (ideally Faithful Companion for its Regen component, through Trueblade of Legend would help your defenses as well). When you get to the boss stage:

Use your RW on the first wave, defeat the Knight first in the second wave to greatly reduce incoming damage, then use your RW's other charge on the third wave, ending the battle instantly.

If you're using Tyro (or Cloud), you can craft the Samurai ability Retaliate, stick it and your 5* starter weapon on him, and have your other characters attack him to provoke his strong counterattacks. That should give you the offense you need for that one boss wave.

Niton fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 10, 2016

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
You still got almost a week to try and get your guys up to speed. If all else fails you can get her from the hall of rites down the road...probably.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Trueblade of Legend isn't an AOE, by the way!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Alxprit posted:

The attack is not an AoE, but the Defense boost is. It works kind of like monk boostgas, that way.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Aaaaaand gently caress You Wiegraf. If I didn't have to bring Power/Armor Breakdown, I might have mastered the fight. I went the Retauntulate route...without Shout/Advance. Because I needed myself a High Regen...might go back to the fight to master it...not sure...haven't been playing the game AS much as of late.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

KataraniSword posted:

I've noticed that with "meta-defining" SBs like the Hastegas/Shout/HotE, you get quick bursts of income as people do ++/+++/Ultimates more than anything else. If you want consistent gil, you typically use a medica of some sort, preferrably one with a secondary effect. Hymn of the Fayth and Dreamstage both are pretty reliable for seeing use.

I switched my RW to Vanille after getting her medica + 1 ability restore SB. My usage tends to hover in the mid-30s daily (and before this, I was getting, like, three or four).

As for me I'm always on the lookout for more SSII / SGs. I snap those up like crazy.

Also, I answered my own question from the previous pages -- went back into Gaffgarrion with a Shout RW instead of SG, figuring it was either going to be a dumpster fire or a race to see who keeled over first. Mastered it, woo! Now, Wiegraf's turn.

If only the stupid warrior of light would drop his stupid RM2 already, so I could inflict Holy instead of Attack.

Eta: Agrias is the queen of my heart. That bitch can rip poo poo up.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

KataraniSword posted:

Desch is bad. All of the other III characters are solid if not meta-defining. You can definitely do worse than them in their given roles. They're not Greg or Ramza, and Ingus falls a little short of getting to the potential that Vaan has (the other frontliner with a splash of 4* support), but they're still perfectly worthwhile if you want to use them.

Yeah, Desch is unfortunately just bad. The only real thing going for him is Black Magic 5 since Spellblade 3 is completely redundant and Bard 4 is just kind of there without much purpose. Sad but not every character in a realm can be good.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also keep in mind that Refia doesn't have Support 4, she has Celerity 4.

Oops, this is why writing up lengthy analysis style posts at 5AM is not a good idea. :v:

With that in mind she's basically a less speedy Zell. Same exact ability access. Also similar to Jecht who gets Darkness 5 on top. All that said, we're still in Monk Land here so you don't expect much from the start. I still stand by the rest of my statements though regarding how good Refia's default is and how having thrown access is a huge bonus for a squishy monk.

I will sink with my III ship! :black101: I don't know why I have such an attachment to the crystal kids since III itself is kind of a hot mess of a series game but well, that's how it goes sometimes.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

spacing in vienna posted:

I switched my RW to Vanille after getting her medica + 1 ability restore SB. My usage tends to hover in the mid-30s daily (and before this, I was getting, like, three or four).

Yeah, just getting back into the game, had the same experience (so far) switching my RW from Cloud to Zidane w/Shift Break - went from 1-3 per day to 42 last reset.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
For the people that play the Japan version, will we get enough Blank MC2s just via content to eventually open up all characters or do we actually need to buy some from the Fat Chocobo? I'd rather wait if I could spent the Greens on Orbs instead

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

MotU posted:

For the people that play the Japan version, will we get enough Blank MC2s just via content to eventually open up all characters or do we actually need to buy some from the Fat Chocobo? I'd rather wait if I could spent the Greens on Orbs instead

I've never bought any lodes from the Greens shop. I have all currently available MC2s and 15 spare MC2 lodes.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Yeah, Desch is unfortunately just bad. The only real thing going for him is Black Magic 5 since Spellblade 3 is completely redundant and Bard 4 is just kind of there without much purpose. Sad but not every character in a realm can be good..

Spellblade gives him access to the Wind element. :pseudo:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I will sink with my III ship! :black101: I don't know why I have such an attachment to the crystal kids since III itself is kind of a hot mess of a series game but well, that's how it goes sometimes.

Yeah, the III characters are fine (and Arc and Ingus get pretty close to "good"), and their SBs are fine. But there are just a lot of great SBs for okay character or okay SBs for great characters or great SBs for great characters in the future, so it's hard to get excited about the III banner.

spacing in vienna posted:

If only the stupid warrior of light would drop his stupid RM2 already, so I could inflict Holy instead of Attack.

By the way, his RM just makes your physical attack holy element, like giving you a 1x damage multiplier holy spellblade. If you want to change your attack into a holy-type spell, you need Selphie's RM2, which does actually change attack to Dia spell that runs off the MND stat.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Wooo I got the Nu Khai Armband and Defender from relic pull today! Kind of a shame I dunno if I'll be able to get Agrias (average party level is only around 26).

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Alxprit posted:

So it isn't! I just kind of assumed it was, for some reason :shobon:

Anyways, re: Agrias, only the Knights and Black Mages do any real damage. If you can manage them, you can just heal up before eliminating the Time and White Mages.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wooo I got the Nu Khai Armband and Defender from relic pull today! Kind of a shame I dunno if I'll be able to get Agrias (average party level is only around 26).

The difficulty 50 battle for Agrias isn't too bad. Just do today's EXP dungeon and get your party a few levels and you should be good to go. Honestly, you should be able to handle the next dungeon for their Memory Crystals. If needed you can probably just blow up the boss with a good RW. My RW Agrias has 591 attack in FFT with her SSB so she should be able to murder the boss from full if you want to summon her for that fight. bGvN is my code.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
591? Did you combine a few Defenders or something? With Defender, Nu Khai, and Aries mine has 509.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Bard 4 on a Mage isnt too bad. Having Protect/Shellga and party buffing on a BM is always handy.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

acumen posted:

591? Did you combine a few Defenders or something? With Defender, Nu Khai, and Aries mine has 509.

Yeah, I managed to get 3 Defenders (and 0 Kaiser Shield) so I decided to combine them and spent all my rosetta stones on it. 160 attack outside of the realm means I can bring it anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

KnoxZone posted:

The difficulty 50 battle for Agrias isn't too bad. Just do today's EXP dungeon and get your party a few levels and you should be good to go. Honestly, you should be able to handle the next dungeon for their Memory Crystals. If needed you can probably just blow up the boss with a good RW. My RW Agrias has 591 attack in FFT with her SSB so she should be able to murder the boss from full if you want to summon her for that fight. bGvN is my code.

Eh, I dunno, the problem is that while I have some nice weapons, the Nu Khai Armlet is the only 5 star armor I have, and I still only have the low level abilities. Even the difficulty level 30 experience dungeon resulted in a party wipe since everything dealt about 1200 damage to my party and the basic Cure and Protect spells can't really handle that. I'm still going to try my best to get Agrias before the event ends but I'm not going to get my hopes up too high.

• Locked thread