Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ninjewtsu posted:

Char is the single most popular gundam character and one of the most iconic characters in anime. He's so popular that literally ever gundam series has a character that is a direct copy of him.

He's popular for fairly good reason and if you want to know about him I would also recommend watching the gundam compilation movies over reading a wiki

Yeah, but dude is watching Unicorn right now. Saying, "go watch these four movies and one fifty episode TV show" is not very helpful. Even though he really should, cause they're great. And it's not like Char as a person is very important to Unicorn, it's Char as a symbol that's the big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I would but all I have is crunchryoll. I managed to catch up on One Piece in around 6 months. I'm not scared of 50 episodes.

Actually this brings up an interesting question. What are the legal methods for watching the compilation movies + zeta + cca? My first guess would be maybe zeta is on the gundam YouTube channel, and I know cca is available as a DVD on amazon (that's how I watched it) but how would one legally aquire a means of viewing the subbed versions of the compilation movies? Is there a reasonable way to do so?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I would but all I have is crunchryoll. I managed to catch up on One Piece in around 6 months. I'm not scared of 50 episodes.

It's not the main one, but amazon has the movie trilogy for 10 dollars. It is worth it, please watch it.
http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-Movie-Trilogy/dp/B017LJFZR0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460305401&sr=8-1&keywords=Gundam+movie+trilogy

CCA is a lot harder to find at a reasonable price, but one way or another I recommend seeking it out.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ninjewtsu posted:

Actually this brings up an interesting question. What are the legal methods for watching the compilation movies + zeta + cca? My first guess would be maybe zeta is on the gundam YouTube channel, and I know cca is available as a DVD on amazon (that's how I watched it) but how would one legally aquire a means of viewing the subbed versions of the compilation movies? Is there a reasonable way to do so?

http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-Movie-Trilogy/dp/B017LJFZR0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460305520&sr=8-1&keywords=gundam+movies

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, but dude is watching Unicorn right now. Saying, "go watch these four movies and one fifty episode TV show" is not very helpful. Even though he really should, cause they're great. And it's not like Char as a person is very important to Unicorn, it's Char as a symbol that's the big deal

I'm more just recommending against getting spoiled by the wiki. As you said, chars not super important to unicorn, and actually watching the original gundam series is a surprisingly good experience for how old and not incredibly well animated 0079 is. What people have explained about char here should be plenty for what's required for unicorn

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Right now for anyone looking to catch older series, please wait. RightStuff has the licensing and is putting stuff out, but as they do prices for the old Anime Legends ones are unacceptable. You can get Turn A, Zeta, 0079 and the movie trilogies legally right now through amazon or even FYE.

As other people have said, Char as an ideal is the most important to Unicorn. I do think that at minimum movie trilogy+CCA will get you through. Honestly Unicorn isn't a great entry into the franchise, but you can't pick and choose as easily anymore, especially through legal vendors.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Midjack posted:

The A-V does not exist in the Universal Century universe, where Unicorn and a bunch of other shows take place. A mechanism to give certain pilots enhanced abilities appears in every Gundam universe and A-V was Iron Blooded Orphans' super pilot conceit.

EDIT: Unicorn doesn't require knowledge of the previous Universal Century shows but there are a bunch of references that you won't get if you haven't seen them.

To expand upon this, Gundam has a number of "alternate universes" that have nothing in common excpet for general themes, designs, terminology and little in-jokes and references. Think Final Fantasy if you're familiar with that. The op of this thread has all the series listed and specifies which universe they belong to. You don't need to have seen any show from one universe in order to understand a show from a different one, and they all have different technologies, even if they are often roughly analogous.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I cant speak for this new remake of Unicorn, but the ova version of it assumes that you're pretty familiar with events in the UC timeline. The Laplace Box and its reveal has much more impact if you've watched 0079. The series' Char clone makes more sense if you're familiar with Char's history, which requires familiarity with 0079, Zeta, and CCA. Marida and Audrey backstory is reliant on having seen Zeta and ZZ. The shows ending has references to all the previous UC shows. I like Unicorn a lot but it's probably not a good introduction to the UC universe.

I'm kinda curious about now the remake handles all of this. Maybe I'll give it a watch when I'm done with Victory.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, Unicorn is a loving terrible place to start watching Gundam. You are essentially starting a book series by reading volume 5.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 10, 2016

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just want them to fix that poo poo rear end ending.

It still angers me.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Have they really changed anything so far in the Unicorn reboot besides oddly giving away a twist immediately?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Kuvo posted:

I cant speak for this new remake of Unicorn, but the ova version of it assumes that you're pretty familiar with events in the UC timeline. The Laplace Box and its reveal has much more impact if you've watched 0079. The series' Char clone makes more sense if you're familiar with Char's history, which requires familiarity with 0079, Zeta, and CCA. Marida and Audrey backstory is reliant on having seen Zeta and ZZ. The shows ending has references to all the previous UC shows. I like Unicorn a lot but it's probably not a good introduction to the UC universe.

I'm kinda curious about now the remake handles all of this. Maybe I'll give it a watch when I'm done with Victory.

In my opinion, not really. All that stuff is enhanced by having seen Gundam, but not in a super important way. You get that Marida is a clone who had a lovely life, you can understand her character and enjoy her story without needing the Puru Puru Puru connection.

And the Laplace box reveal has the impact of "that's dumb" no matter how much Gundam you've seen.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

I just want them to fix that poo poo rear end ending.

It still angers me.
The ending becomes hilarious when you realize the currently running Last Sun manga has a Zeon remnant faction (again) spring up in immediate response to the reveal of Laplace's Box. In other words, Banagher and Mineva's attempt to stop the status quo from continuing backfires immensely.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Laplace Box reveal and why it's important is explained pretty thoroughly in the series itself

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

The ending becomes hilarious when you realize the currently running Last Sun manga has a Zeon remnant faction (again) spring up in immediate response to the reveal of Laplace's Box. In other words, Banagher and Mineva's attempt to stop the status quo from continuing backfires immensely.

That's literally the entire point of Unicorn, though.

The reveal is not what people are generally complaining about when they complain about the end of Unicorn, it's the very last mech sequence that people tend to dislike (because it's poo poo, unlike the reveal, which is good).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 10, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

A lot of Gundam gets retarded when you consider every single spinoff manga going on and line it up with canon

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sorta like trying to line up all of the dumb Star Wars EU stuff and blaming the movies for not taking those into account

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

anime is the only canon

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

dogsicle posted:

anime is the only canon

Even then, a lot of the goodwill at the end of Unicorn is shot to the floor by F91 and Victory existing.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TheManSeries posted:

Even then, a lot of the goodwill at the end of Unicorn is shot to the floor by F91 and Victory existing.

Not really? If only anime is canon then unicorn is the last we ever see of Zeon. There are future conflicts, but they are of a different nature to that which came before.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

TheManSeries posted:

I mean, we know from Reconguista that sometime after Unicorn, there's widespread, institutionalized cannibalism

So, y'know. Things don't go great

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unicorn at no point suggests that it is the end of war forever so I'm not sure why people are arguing that. If anything it suggests the opposite and that the far-distant future is the only place such a thing could happen.

It isn't even a Gundam Wing "and mobile suits were never seen again" thing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Droyer posted:

Not really? If only anime is canon then unicorn is the last we ever see of Zeon. There are future conflicts, but they are of a different nature to that which came before.

30ish years of peace is an incredibly good run, considering how you couldn't even go half a decade without someone trying to drop something big on Earth.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I agree with both of you, but that sentiment was pretty common around the end of Unicorn. Personally, I think that if you look at Unicorn as the end of the Zeon conflict, then it works incredibly well.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I ain't even talking about peace and stuff when I talk about the ending.

I am saying the final ova to Unicorn was top to bottom the dumbest crap I've ever seen in a UC series, barring 0083.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm glad Unicorn's TV run is giving it more exposure because as a robot fight and music showcase it's pretty great. And we also get to lol forward to new people facepalming at the ending down the line.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Srice posted:

30ish years of peace is an incredibly good run, considering how you couldn't even go half a decade without someone trying to drop something big on Earth.
Given that the previous streak was about 5 years (between ZZ and CCA) of peace, that is indeed an accomplishment.

I think that what makes me laugh about Last Sun the most is that they managed to invent yet another goddamn Zeon remnant faction to be the villains. Sunrise just won't let them rest for good, even in the spinoff material. It's moved beyond silly and into the eye-rolling levels of creative stagnation at this point.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zeon, like the dream, will never die.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Guys, Gundam does not have a concept of Canon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Guys, Gundam does not have a concept of Canon.

It does, however, have a concept of cannons.

As in, you should attach the most and biggest of them to your giant death-robot that you can.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

It does, however, have a concept of cannons.

As in, you should attach the most and biggest of them to your giant death-robot that you can.

The Dendrobium Stamen is a wonderful piece of cannon laden death machine.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TheManSeries posted:

The Dendrobium Stamen is a wonderful piece of cannon laden death machine.

Deep Striker or bust.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

Deep Striker or bust.
One day, someone at Sunrise will get the go ahead to animate that monstrosity. And the results will be a beautiful sight to behold.

E: The Orchis is the death machine, ManSeries. Stamen is just the vanilla Gundam.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I for one can't stand mobile armors. They're too big and janky, with way too much poo poo going on.

I also hate fun, as an aside.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Also, if I wiki Char how much will I spoil myself on this series? I don't mind spoiling other series since I have no way to watch them. He got mentioned in this episode and I remember seeing his name pop up quite frequently in the IBO thread.

OR

Could one of you give me a non-spoily breakdown of who he his?

You know McGillis?

There you go.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Srice posted:

poo poo, even if you include all the sidestory crap Zeon vanishes for decades and then briefly reappears, farts out, and dies forever in the early UC 120s with Mars Zeon, having never reattained anywhere near the power that it had in CCA nor the opportunity it had in Unicorn.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Also, if I wiki Char how much will I spoil myself on this series? I don't mind spoiling other series since I have no way to watch them. He got mentioned in this episode and I remember seeing his name pop up quite frequently in the IBO thread.

OR

Could one of you give me a non-spoily breakdown of who he his?

While there's been a bunch of talk in the thread about how important Char is and isn't to Unicorn, what you need to know is less about Char the man and more about Char the symbol.

Essentially, as a person, Char is kind of petty, egotistical, hypocritical, and highly charismatic. He's not that good of a guy, but he's good at piloting red mobile suits and being kind of damaged emotionally.

As a symbol, however, Char is more or less the rallying point of Zeon. He's like the great space freedom fighter. Zeon was founded by his father, and Char in CCA was like "gently caress Earth, gently caress the Earth Federation, we're gonna be free in space and stuff", and people gathered around him. Despite the shady poo poo that goes on, Zeon and Char were considered by the common people to be basically "the good guys", fighting for spacenoid freedom and stuff. Char is, in essence, a symbolic figure like George Washington; you can find all kinds of stories about badass poo poo he did, and you can tell all kinds of tales about things he said and how he lived and how great he was and how he represented the nation's ideals, but if you start digging into him as a person he's not that spectacular. The common folk only see and know the ideal, though, and that's what Full Frontal is now; he's a figurehead, a vessel for the will of the people, a "second coming of Char", and that's uniting the remnants of Zeon and the spacenoids. How true it is is irrelevant, because he flat out says he's nothing more than that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Basically Char is Che Guevara meets Hamlet, but anime.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

I for one can't stand mobile armors. They're too big and janky, with way too much poo poo going on.

I also hate fun, as an aside.

I don't understand how anyone could ever hate Big Zam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Raxivace posted:

Basically Char is Che Guevara meets Hamlet, but anime.

Alas poor Crown, I knew him well. But then he burned the gently caress up in the atmosphere of Earth.