Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

LIKE A GLOVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

I can't wait for the free market which is not at all known for maximizing profit above all else including safety and functionality to take over the space race for the benefit of all. :ancap:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

ryonguy posted:

I can't wait for the free market which is not at all known for maximizing profit above all else including safety and functionality to take over the space race for the benefit of all. :ancap:

The free market will save any astronauts that explode.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Wrong gif, mate. That was last time.

Earlier this morning:
https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/718561436201431040

ryonguy posted:

There's nobody on the rocket, and nobody on the barge. Nobody is in danger there.

Also, it's like the second or third time they'd attempted it. It's all still experimental, so even a crash landing gives them useful data they can use to fix the problem for next attempt. If and when they perfect the technology, it will make space flight muuuuuuuuch cheaper. It costs $60 million to make that rocket, and $200,000 to fuel it up. Even with refurbishment costs, that's tens of millions of dollars cheaper.

It's like: imagine if airliners were single-use, and the price of your ticket included your share of the airplane which is going to get thrown away after. Obviously, air travel wouldn't be remotely affordable for the average person. That's how spaceflight works at the moment.

I'd much rather have private companies build and run delivery spacecraft like the Dragon if it'll bring the cost of space travel down. After all, airline companies and aircraft manufacturers are private companies too, and air travel does ok. NASA and its meagre budget are far better spent on exploring space and doing space research than developing rockets.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Man, the graphics in Kerbal Space Program have come a long way.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ryonguy posted:

Let me know when private space industry has killed as many people as the government programs. NASA alone has a death toll of over 20, counting only active tests and not astronauts in training. China and Russia are both up in the hundreds.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

I can't wait for Elon Musk to privatize NASA

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Phanatic posted:

Let me know when private space industry has killed as many people as the government programs. NASA alone has a death toll of over 20, counting only active tests and not astronauts in training. China and Russia are both up in the hundreds.

Well I've drat near died laughing a few times watching the rockets fall over and go boom, so do I count in that as a fraction or what?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

NASA and its meagre budget are far better spent on exploring space and doing space research than developing rockets.

Perhaps if it's budget wasn't meager, we wouldn't need to turn over vital portions of it over to private industry.

Phanatic posted:

How about I settle for the mining industry, or the oil drilling industry, or literally any other industry over the last fifty years if we're going to compare apples to apples? Because I only said private industry, not space industry, and lol if you think they're going to be any more ethical just because some :ancap: technowank billionaires hate the idea of government so much they want everything to be privatized.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Phanatic posted:

Don't be disingenuous. NASA has been around a lot longer than private spaceflight has, so it's had longer in which to accumulate those deaths, and they were on the leading edge of when we were just starting to figure poo poo out, so of course they have a higher death toll, they didn't have a preexisting body of experience to draw on. I can guarantee you that if there had been a company like SpaceX back when we simply didn't know as much about rocketry and spaceflight as we do now, they would've had just as many if not more.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

http://i.imgur.com/VQLVLMW.webm

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ryonguy posted:

Perhaps if it's budget wasn't meager, we wouldn't need to turn over vital portions of it over to private industry.

Who do you think built all NASA's rockets anyway?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Hyperlynx posted:

Who do you think built all NASA's rockets anyway?

I'm gong to assume you don't think that just because a private contractor is building tanks for the army that we should turn over control of the armored cavalry to them.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDsSrCFvz_A

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Don't be disingenuous. NASA has been around a lot longer than private spaceflight has, so it's had longer in which to accumulate those deaths, and they were on the leading edge of when we were just starting to figure poo poo out, so of course they have a higher death toll, they didn't have a preexisting body of experience to draw on. I can guarantee you that if there had been a company like SpaceX back when we simply didn't know as much about rocketry and spaceflight as we do now, they would've had just as many if not more.

(Apparently SpaceX has been really really bad at learning the lessons that NASA learned back before they went to the moon)

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I liked the time when Orbital lost a rocket full of supplies and experiments for the ISS, because they decided to use refurbished engines from the 1960s Soviet N1 moon rocket that had (as I recall) been ordered scrapped due to manufacturing defects, but were instead left in a warehouse for decades until some venture capitalists started looking around to buy rocket engines for their space startups in the late 90s.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

citybeatnik posted:

I'm gong to assume you don't think that just because a private contractor is building tanks for the army that we should turn over control of the armored cavalry to them.

That's a fair point, though I was mainly arguing against the notion of "they're going to do a lovely job just because they're a private company and so will cut corners to cut costs".

This isn't really the place for the discussion, so I'll leave it at that.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

A guy cheapshotted me during the opening glove tap in UFC 2. I don't like poor sports

https://giant.gfycat.com/SaltyFortunateGalapagosmockingbird.webm

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo Graphics getting pretty drat good.

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
http://i.imgur.com/x4GhplT.gifv

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Holy poo poo Graphics getting pretty drat good.

Holy poo poo no kidding.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I like the idea of a beat up Zach Galifinakis simulator.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I like the idea of a beat up Zach Galifinakis simulator.

I get the impression so would he.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

NUTTED BUT SHE AINT SUCKIN

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Professor of Cats posted:

Holy poo poo no kidding.

Yeah but can you wear them like a backpack?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X0H709cJkA&t=75s

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

The Hangover movies just get more and more abstract with every sequel.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Puppa scrub

If you were a fan of motorcross that would be an above average joke.

Zombear
Dec 4, 2007
Catchphrase!

FAROOQ posted:

Negative 26 people?

Did nobody else see this? :downsrim:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://i.imgur.com/UFYgx1Y.gifv

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Oh god the cat scene from the robot son episode The Outer Limits.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Start any EDM song and this matches perfectly.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Stretch Marx posted:

Start any EDM song and this matches perfectly.

Sorry 'bout your lack of rhythm

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

ryonguy posted:

Good thing the world's major airlines aren't run by private corporations. Imagine the death toll if they were!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Some of the Sheep posted:

Good thing the world's major airlines aren't run by private corporations. Imagine the death toll if they were!

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

poo poo can go wrong, but the overall safety record of the aviation industry is peerless.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Some of the Sheep posted:

poo poo can go wrong, but the overall safety record of the aviation industry is peerless.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Surely the military is responsible and flying safely
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=182AepOJjMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless