Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Now post the gifs of the F-35 brutally killing test pilots so often that they had to ground it until they could get it to stop turning off when it rains, or somebody flies over the international date line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

death .cab for qt posted:

Now post the gifs of the F-35 brutally killing test pilots so often that they had to ground it until they could get it to stop turning off when it rains, or somebody flies over the international date line

Got ya fam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwawGYg8FEU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Crazist thing about this? It was the pilot's third hijacking.

quote:

Leul had been in two previous hijackings. The first, was on 12 April 1992 on Flight ETH574, a Boeing 727-260. Two hijackers with hand grenades entered the cockpit. Leul was forced to fly to Nairobi. The second was on 17 March 1995, flying a Boeing 737-260. The hijackers held a hostess hostage, entered the cockpit and told Leul to fly to Sweden. In both cases, Leul had landed safely and no one was hurt.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

That's going to be a hell of an insurance call for the van owner.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

death .cab for qt posted:

I am glad that Transport Canada/The FAA regulate commercial airlines as well as they do. God knows that there would be a passenger equivalent of the F35 in the air if wasn't for them.

E: Well, maybe not in the air considering the F35

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Some of the Sheep posted:

poo poo can go wrong, but the overall safety record of the aviation industry is peerless.

When they say you're more likely to crash in a car than a plane, do they include crashes at 20-30 mph with 5 point airbags and seatbelts and crumple zones etc etc because I'm pretty sure "more likely to crash but will walk away vs into a mountain at 600mph" is a more accurate saying.

...Wanna replace the girl with Predator.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Private airlines are safe because crashing airplanes is exceedingly expensive. Private space programs will be safe as long as blowing up rockets is also exceedingly expensive. It's when mistakes aren't expensive that you get lovely privatization examples and cut corners (see, Prisons).

Private markets do a pretty decent job of gauging risk and acting in their own best interests. Does not include banks.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Ak Gara posted:

When they say you're more likely to crash in a car than a plane, do they include crashes at 20-30 mph with 5 point airbags and seatbelts and crumple zones etc etc because I'm pretty sure "more likely to crash but will walk away vs into a mountain at 600mph" is a more accurate saying.

Most airplane incidents are benign things you can walk away from, like skidding off of runways or bumping into other planes on the tarmac. Running into the ground at terminal velocity makes for great headlines, but actual fatalities in aviation accidents are fantastically rare.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
People prefer sensation over statistics. Something like 3 billion passengers take a flight every year, and there are only around 400 fatalities per year.

You're 6,000.00% more likely to die falling down (6.3 deaths per 100,000)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

blarzgh posted:

You're 6,000.00% more likely to die falling down (6.3 deaths per 100,000)
Technically that's what an airplane crash is.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Technically that's what an airplane crash is.

Only good post out of this derail.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Krispy Kareem posted:

Private airlines are safe because crashing airplanes is exceedingly expensive. Private space programs will be safe as long as blowing up rockets is also exceedingly expensive. It's when mistakes aren't expensive that you get lovely privatization examples and cut corners (see, Prisons).

Private markets do a pretty decent job of gauging risk and acting in their own best interests. Does not include banks.

They really really aren't (look at any disaster caused by poor/outdated safety measures) but also here's some assorted gifs.

(Thanks http://obscurevideogames.tumblr.com/)

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Ak Gara posted:

What's important is when comparing number of deaths per passenger mile traveled, airplanes are an order of magnitude safer than cars. However, It would be disingenuous to attribute that ENTIRELY TO THE INVISIBLE HAND OF THE FREE MARKET. Many factors are present, including the rigorousness of the training required to pilot each mode of transportation.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Feelin' myself

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

http://i.imgur.com/aebGDz8.gifv

jmistajay posted:

What's important is when comparing number of deaths per passenger mile traveled, airplanes are an order of magnitude safer than cars. However, It would be disingenuous to attribute that ENTIRELY TO THE INVISIBLE HAND OF THE FREE MARKET. Many factors are present, including the rigorousness of the training required to pilot each mode of transportation.

How does spaceflight hold up on that front if you consider that the ISS orbits the Earth in just over 90 minutes and has been crewed for 5639 days?

Quick and dirty calculations say that's 3735273600 kilometers traveled. And then there's all the other stuff people have been in space for and the other space stations that have been and still are.

Useless Rabbit
Jan 27, 2009

http://i.imgur.com/5WncC0X.gifv

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Geemer posted:

http://i.imgur.com/aebGDz8.gifv

How does spaceflight hold up on that front if you consider that the ISS orbits the Earth in just over 90 minutes and has been crewed for 5639 days?

Quick and dirty calculations say that's 3735273600 kilometers traveled. And then there's all the other stuff people have been in space for and the other space stations that have been and still are.

How many people travelled that distance in the ISS? And how many travelled in airplanes?

Whoever pointed out that pilots have more training is right: the government has interfered in the free market to regulate safety in airlines.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Those benchmarks are getting more and more realistic.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

wheeee

Booga
Aug 20, 2007

http://webm.land/media/MgI4.webm

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Gotta go slow

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin
http://m.imgur.com/QLSFLsj

Can someone dickbutt this pls tia

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

jmistajay posted:

Also, the airline industry was basically a private-public partnership up until the '80s. You had 30 years of intense government regulation and standards setting behavior that the industry was built off of. Also, it's still heavily regulated.

If you want to see the results of a flight market that's close to an unregulated private market you should just look at Alaska. Whole lot of puddle jumpers and very little oversight means that the state's air safety record is garbage.

quote:

The general aviation accident rate in Alaska is much higher than across the rest of the country. ("General aviation" means private planes, as opposed to commercial airliners, which don't crash in Alaska any more than they do in the rest of the United States.) In the last decade, Alaska had 1,188 accidents, compared with an average of 351 accidents in each of the 50 states. The rate is so disproportionate that the Federal Aviation Administration singles out Alaska in its annual performance goals

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2010/08/nofly_zone.html

and

http://www.airspacemag.com/flight-today/alaskas-crash-epidemic-70259395/?no-ist

El Mero Mero has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Apr 12, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

El Mero Mero posted:

If you want to see the results of a flight market that's close to an unregulated private market you should just look at Alaska. Whole lot of puddle jumpers and very little oversight means that the state's air safety record is garbage.

Saying GA is "close to unregulated" is asinine. It's just as regulated (heavily) as it in in the other 49 states, the difference is that a big chunk of the GA market in the other states isn't flying into and out of extremely remote areas where there aren't even any airstrips, let alone controllers or ASOS broadcasts.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

This one goes out to all the people who want to talk about airline vs space travel safety

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Take it to the spaceflight thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3580990

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sick burn brah. I'll have to remember that one for later.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Dragonstoned posted:

This one goes out to all the people who want to talk about airline vs space travel safety

Asmodai_00 has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Apr 12, 2016

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Dragonstoned posted:

On the other hand, the pages actually load now and don't make my computer poo poo the bed.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Dragonstoned posted:

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0_DPi0PmF0

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

"Hot Robot"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

beato posted:

"Hot Robot"

It's got a grandma neck.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

flosofl posted:

It's got a grandma neck.

So hot

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
"In the future I hope to do things such as go to school, study, make art, start a business..."
"Nah, you'll be a sex slave."
http://i.imgur.com/RBpGYfa.webm

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Kramjacks posted:

Only good post out of this derail.

OH NO! Not Union Pacific! :magical:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

beato posted:

"Hot Robot"

Internal temperature. It's staring into your soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombiebeard
Jun 29, 2011

by astral

E: rehosted gif on a non-broken website.

Zombiebeard has a new favorite as of 17:24 on Apr 13, 2016