Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Northjayhawk posted:

That headline is sort of correct in spirit if not by rule, which is surprising given that Drudge is usually misleading.

Most states that don't have a primary will at least have a presidential preference vote at the caucus. Not Colorado. They have a caucus, but at no point do they ever ask you to vote for a candidate, instead you are voting for delegates and you literally put your x next to Joe or Frank or Ann or whichever delegate you prefer. In most caucus sites you vote for a candidate, and then delegates are bound to that candidate based on the vote, but Colorado does not bind anyone on the first ballot. You just have to somehow know who the person you are voting for is going to vote on the 1st ballot.

Anyway, the delegates who were elected in Colorado are Cruz supporters. All of them, Trump got swept. I assume most of the voters knew what they were doing, but I'm sure some who may support Trump were confused, and since most of the people wanting to be delegates supported Cruz, some of their votes probably went to Cruz delegates.

that might be the most retarded way of electing a person i have ever heard of, and in fact i'm just gonna go ahead and say it is the most retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Welcome to American presidential elections!

Gonna be real funny watching the convention burn.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Someone has to be paying Kasich to stay in at this point. There's no way he can possibly win, even with his idiot plan of splitting the vote just enough but not too much to ensure a brokered convention. Even if the rioting Ted Cruz and Donald Trump delegates somehow allowed the RNC to repeal the requirement that the nominee have won 8 primary contests, why in the gently caress would the convention then turn to Kasich? At that point they could nominate anyone else, up to and including the desiccated corpse of Reagan. There aren't enough seat belts to buckle for the insane acceleration needed for Team Kasich to pull that poo poo off.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

mandatory lesbian posted:

that might be the most retarded way of electing a person i have ever heard of, and in fact i'm just gonna go ahead and say it is the most retarded

It makes sense if you view it through the lens of representative democracy. Voting on the nominee for the general isn't the only thing delegates do at the convention. There's lots of other less flashy, but nonetheless important, stuff they do. So the delegates in that system are chosen in a similar manner to how representatives being sent to congress are chosen.

The way you find out who Joe, Frank, or Ann in this example are likely to vote on all these issues is by them telling you in some fashion after they throw their hat in the ring for becoming a delegate.

As stuff has shifted to more direct democracy it does feel a little bit like a relic, but it makes a lot of sense when you view it through a historical lens.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gyges posted:

Someone has to be paying Kasich to stay in at this point.
Well, there IS a billionaire involved.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I suppose Kasich could be angling for VP at this point.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gyges posted:

Someone has to be paying Kasich to stay in at this point. There's no way he can possibly win, even with his idiot plan of splitting the vote just enough but not too much to ensure a brokered convention. Even if the rioting Ted Cruz and Donald Trump delegates somehow allowed the RNC to repeal the requirement that the nominee have won 8 primary contests, why in the gently caress would the convention then turn to Kasich? At that point they could nominate anyone else, up to and including the desiccated corpse of Reagan. There aren't enough seat belts to buckle for the insane acceleration needed for Team Kasich to pull that poo poo off.

What if he mobilizes the Ohio NG in response to rioting due to a ratfucking of Trump. He then uses those troops to "persuade" the GOP at gunpoint or implied gunpoint to hand the nomination to the only candidate who can beat hillary in November™

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The only 'rioting' at the convention will be if either the protestors at the RNC or the Cleveland police get a little out of control. Even if Trump gets ratfucked.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

A friend of mine who has gone kind of off the deep end for Bernie is convinced Clinton is about to be indicted for the email thing. Normally I would assume something like that is crazy but this particular friend at least used to be pretty sensible. Is Hillary going to be indicted?

This is the link he sent me in support.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Peven Stan posted:

What if he mobilizes the Ohio NG in response to rioting due to a ratfucking of Trump. He then uses those troops to "persuade" the GOP at gunpoint or implied gunpoint to hand the nomination to the only candidate who can beat hillary in November™

Then Obama drones them for attempted military coup.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

DemeaninDemon posted:

Then Obama drones them for attempted military coup.

Shoot, that's quite restrained for him. We're well past enough probable cause* for an Obama Drone Strike to be called.

* Which is very little, or if there's a wedding involved, none at all.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

A friend of mine who has gone kind of off the deep end for Bernie is convinced Clinton is about to be indicted for the email thing. Normally I would assume something like that is crazy but this particular friend at least used to be pretty sensible. Is Hillary going to be indicted?

Ooh, wordpress site. I would be worried with thats sort of backing.

Any day now....

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I get all of my news from informedvote2016 dot Wordpress dot com :smug:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Ogmius815 posted:

Crtl-F - Benghazi. 58 results.

Yeah, I think I'll remain unconcerned.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ogmius815 posted:

No, Hillary is not going to be indicted. If she was, they would have done it long ago back when it wouldn't destroy the campaign of the probable Democratic nominee. Which is ignoring the fact that she hasn't actually done anything illegal, even if it was dumb as poo poo and shady.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ogmius815 posted:

Almost certainly not.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

TildeATH posted:

Shoot, that's quite restrained for him. We're well past enough probable cause* for an Obama Drone Strike to be called.

* Which is very little, or if there's a wedding involved, none at all.

For an in-depth and judicious review of the drone program under Obama, Thomas Nagel's essay in the London Review is a good place to start.

Drones are pretty good at what they do.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

About The Author:

quote:

My name is Chetan Hebbale (CHAY-THIN, HUH-BALL-EH). I got a good kick out of making that pronunciation guide.

I’m a 22 year old senior at the University of Georgia, double majoring in Microbiology and Economics (an unlikely candidate to write an article like this, I know).

I have no background in investigative journalism or law. I have not gone to law school, journalism school, or ever worked for a newspaper, magazine or any other publication. That’s why you may see scattered typos, grammar mistakes and incorrect legal phrasing. I tried to write this as deeply and as quickly as possible before I thought this story would be told by someone else. Please send proof-reads my way if you notice any, I am still going back and correcting mistakes here and there.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
It has transpired that Obama has apparently already seen an advance copy of the entire next season of Game of Thrones. Finally grounds for impeachment?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

meristem posted:

It has transpired that Obama has apparently already seen an advance copy of the entire next season of Game of Thrones. Finally grounds for impeachment?

"Vote on my scotus nominee or else I'm spoiling it."

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

meristem posted:

What The gently caress.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

What's HBO gonna do, say no?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

meristem posted:

The ultimate leverage. "Confirm my SCOTUS pick or I'll spoil the season finale."

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
respect obama less, got is bad tv

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ogmius815 posted:

I stopped reading after the first sentence.

Kitfox88 posted:

respect obama less, got is bad tv

Well, that's just like, your opinion man.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Citizen's United guy on morning edition.

I have never wanted to punch someone on the radio quite so bad before.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

You lied about your friend being sensible.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Man, I'm an awfully cynical person. I'm halfway through a Wapo article about Kerry visiting Hiroshima and all I can think about are all of the hot takes to expect in the comment section, Fox, and freep.

Ughhhhhh

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I turned off the radio when he came on. I'm too sick on Monday morning to listen to that. But my alternative was ten minutes is local sports guy talking about a 22 year old losing the Masters.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I turned off the radio when he came on. I'm too sick on Monday morning to listen to that. But my alternative was ten minutes is local sports guy talking about a 22 year old losing the Masters.

I don't follow golf, at all, but I did happen to catch that collapse live. It was kind of impressive. Both in the sense that a 22 year old nearly won back-to-back Masters and in holy poo poo the guy leading for 7 straight days just imploded.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's a change of pace for Ted Cruz to be the one dunking on someone's inability to understand arcane rulesmanship considering how bad it happened to him under Harry Reid.
Well, experience is the best teacher.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Can anybody recommend any research about complexity in the American electoral system and its relationship to voter suppression, esp. post WWII?

That Colorado story is pretty ridiculous.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

menino posted:

Can anybody recommend any research about complexity in the American electoral system and its relationship to voter suppression, esp. post WWII?

That Colorado story is pretty ridiculous.

Well, that's not really a helpful thing - the modern primary system has only really existed since the 1950s, so it's ALL post-WWII. And the prior system was a hell of a lot less open. Or involving voters.

Solfrann
Dec 28, 2015

Gyges posted:

No, Hillary is not going to be indicted. If she was, they would have done it long ago back when it wouldn't destroy the campaign of the probable Democratic nominee. Which is ignoring the fact that she hasn't actually done anything illegal, even if it was dumb as poo poo and shady.

This will not stop the republicans from using this as reasons not to do anything once she's in office, and to keep pushing impeachment for her entire term.

Also, I've personally seen people in the government lose their careers over less egregious misuse of classified info. Ignorance is not a defense.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Phone posted:

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Kerry visiting Hiroshima blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah hot takes blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Blahhhhh

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Oracle posted:

Well, experience is the best teacher.

There's an old saying in Alberta — I know it's in Texas, probably in Alberta — that says, dunk on me once, shame on — shame on you. Dunk on me — you can't get dunked on again.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tempest_56 posted:

Well, that's not really a helpful thing - the modern primary system has only really existed since the 1950s, so it's ALL post-WWII. And the prior system was a hell of a lot less open. Or involving voters.

The modern primary system dates from 1972.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Solfrann posted:

This will not stop the republicans from using this as reasons not to do anything once she's in office, and to keep pushing impeachment for her entire term.

oh, if only it weren't for the emails, the GOP wouldn't pointlessly call to impeach hillary for her entire 8 years as president. they'll sit down and be quiet and work polite yet effective bipartisan opposition, for the good of the country. darn those pesky emails to heck

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Solfrann posted:

Also, I've personally seen people in the government lose their careers over less egregious misuse of classified info. Ignorance is not a defense.

You've got no idea what you're talking about. Ignorance absolutely is a defense, and it's extremely rare anyone gets indicted over this kind of thing (absent an aggravating factor like "lied to FBI" or "had suspicious ties to foreign country.")

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/hillary-clinton-prosecution-past-cases-221744

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Phone posted:

Man, I'm an awfully cynical person. I'm halfway through a Wapo article about Kerry visiting Hiroshima and all I can think about are all of the hot takes to expect in the comment section, Fox, and freep.

Ughhhhhh

Did you know it's the anniversary of the Bataan death march?

• Locked thread