Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I'm pretty sure there's still a contingent here holding out unironic hope for Triple H for some role or other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The MSJ posted:

Batman loves his gear. Look at how he sulks when he cannot bring his suit to Lex's party in BvS.

I wonder if he breaks in and destroys warehouses of merchandise using the bat symbol that he hasn't OKd.

Snowman_McK posted:

As someone who was alive in 2007 and on the internet, you are wrong. It was a mixture of him not looking like a comic book character, being a comic actor rather than a serious one, having a history of alcoholism and not knowing who he was (remember that this was his first high profile gig in years)

Anyone holding a history of substance abuse against the actor set to play Tony Stark isn't actually a comic fan.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Is it confirmed yet when Suicide Squad takes place? I cant tell if its immediately after BvS or between MoS and BvS. Id assume its after unless they went with a non sequential release timeline.

Given the tense on Superman and the president, it probably happens after BvS.

quote:

Edit: actually given Wonder Woman and a few others like Aquaman will at least be partially a prequel Im assuming DC isnt necessarily doing their timeline based on when each movie is released.

Wonder Woman is using a framing devise with her in the modern age, probably similar to Captain America. I don't think they've said anything definite about Aquaman yet.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That trailer sure does look like it's trying its best to make you think it's like GoTG.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TFRazorsaw posted:

That trailer sure does look like it's trying its best to make you think it's like GoTG.

Why so literal, Batman?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Phylodox posted:

My wife pointed out that Superman is referred to in the past tense in the trailer. I think it spoiled the fact that Superman dies for her.

This is a pretty interesting way to first explore the post Superman world.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Wacky ensemble of misfits go on an adventure is a pretty well established story frame in both films and comics and GoTG being the first to do it for comic films doesnt give them complete monopoly over the style.

The dynamics and setting are completely different here.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 11, 2016

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TFRazorsaw posted:

Woah man, you should work in advertising

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

TFRazorsaw posted:

Nah, SS seems to have multiple, proactive female characters.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Gyges posted:

Anyone holding a history of substance abuse against the actor set to play Tony Stark isn't actually a comic fan.
Frankly given comic fans' regular reactions to casting, set photos, trailers, and entire movies, I'm not sure if that many of them actually like comics.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

broken clock opsec posted:

I'm pretty sure there's still a contingent here holding out unironic hope for Triple H for some role or other.

Triple H as Himself vs Batman.

AT WRESTLEMANIA!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gyges posted:

Yeah, I'm sure there's dipshits who were against his getting the part, but I recall seeing it discussed as being inspired casting at the time.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AccountSupervisor posted:

Is it confirmed yet when Suicide Squad takes place? I cant tell if its immediately after BvS or between MoS and BvS. Id assume its after unless they went with a non sequential release timeline.

It's set after Superman appears but I believe some of the Joker stuff (with Batman) is set before.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, I'm sure there's dipshits who were against his getting the part, but I recall seeing it discussed as being inspired casting at the time.

This was definitely true after the first trailer. But considering what a miserable prick Stark was in the comics at the time, it seemed an odd choice until it was clear what they were doing with it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Equeen posted:

Nah, SS seems to have multiple, proactive female characters.

who would that be, the one who gets redressed in front of a crowd of men or the one who another character asks if they have a boyfriend?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

TFRazorsaw posted:

who would that be, the one who gets redressed in front of a crowd of men or the one who another character asks if they have a boyfriend?

Could start with Amanda Waller.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I love that the Joker is driving what looks like a Mohoroshi Lambo, because of course he would.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TFRazorsaw posted:

There was a lady in that crowd gawkin with the fellas.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

Women can have sexual identities and be empowered/proactive. In fact, the idea that it's one or the other is a criticism of plenty of pop-culture.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gyges posted:

There was a lady in that crowd gawkin with the fellas.
Was don't ask don't tell repealed in the DCCU?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TFRazorsaw posted:

Now, to be fair, that wasn't entirely a crowd of men, there was a woman in it too. (edit: of course I wouldn't be the only person to notice that)

Plus, Harley's liable to get a story about coming out from under Joker's shadow, and based on who is around during what scenes, I could see Katana's mirroring her's as well. Plus there's the Wall, who's in charge of the whole thing. I think the most awkward one is Enchantress, who is wearing some sort of moss and nothing else, for some unknown reason. But they're keeping her out of the trailers for the most part (probably because she ends up being the big bad but they don't want to spoil it, but that's just my speculation.)

edit:

mr. stefan posted:

I love that the Joker is driving what looks like a Mohoroshi Lambo, because of course he would.

And it's garishly purple, which is awesome. If I were a rich tool in real life, that's the car I'd drive.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I will give you guys that yes, there's Waller.

quote:

Women can have sexual identities and be empowered/proactive.

Sure they can.

But not every case of a woman taking their clothes off is empowerment. The vast majority of them in fact are not.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Also the movie has already passed the Bechdel Test because Harley and Katana talk about what to drink and there isn't a man in the frame when it happens.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TFRazorsaw posted:

I will give you guys that yes, there's Waller.

Women can have sexual identities and be empowered/proactive.

Sure they can.

But not every case of a woman taking their clothes off is empowered.

She's taking off "The Man's Clothes" and putting on her own, thus restoring her self image. A Good Shot.

edit: Also the way the government guy says "Gentlemen. Ladies" at the beginning of the trailer makes me think/hope that Waller fucks him up something fierce before the movie ends. Because Amanda Waller takes poo poo from no one.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Thaaaaat feels like a reach.

A big reach.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

This was definitely true after the first trailer. But considering what a miserable prick Stark was in the comics at the time, it seemed an odd choice until it was clear what they were doing with it.

Again, I'm sure there was people for whom this was the case, but there were plenty who made the RDJ / Demon in a Bottle connection immediately upon the casting announcement. There's always people who hate a casting choice.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Whoah, Joker looks hosed up in the 1:55 mark.

Other than that, really great trailer.

EDIT: I just love that Slipknot vanishes from the trailer after Flagg is telling them how they will end dead.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 11, 2016

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Whoah, Joker looks hosed up in the 1:55 mark.

Other than that, really great trailer.

EDIT: I just love that Slipknot vanishes from the trailer after Flagg is telling them how they will end dead.

like realistically we all know slipknot gonna be dead as gently caress by the 45 minute mark, but is it too much to hope that there's at least one situation the squad runs into afterwards that could have been solved easily via creative application of ropes?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I am so excited for Suicide Squad.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Even back during Comic Con, Suicide Squad was already more popular than BvS. I think it's even tracking better now.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

But not every case of a woman taking their clothes off is empowerment. The vast majority of them in fact are not.

I didn't say the scene was an example of empowerment. Nor does it have to be for the character to be proactive for much of the film.

Especially since the character of Harley Quinn is consistently depicted as being emotionally dependent on a man, and this is a bad thing and the reason why she's a villain.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Again, I'm sure there was people for whom this was the case, but there were plenty who made the RDJ / Demon in a Bottle connection immediately upon the casting announcement. There's always people who hate a casting choice.

Yeah. I should say that it was far from a universal condemnation, like Leto, Affleck and Ledger provoked on announcement. But still a weird example that it's hard to predict, in advance, who'll do well in what movie.

I still want my Kristen Schaal and Kurt Brahnoeler Harley Quinn and Joker movie, though.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

Even back during Comic Con, Suicide Squad was already more popular than BvS. I think it's even tracking better now.

It feels like Guardians, which was fire from the moment the first trailer got previewed at Comic-Con (of my four years at CC, that was the second most excited I had ever been, after the first Godzilla teaser that came out of loving nowhere). They've definitely captured the same tone the trailers for that movie had.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I can't tell if this is Bad Boys Will Smith, or I, Robot Will Smith, or what. I mean, without the mask or any characterization, it's hard to tell.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SaviourX posted:

I can't tell if this is Bad Boys Will Smith, or I, Robot Will Smith, or what. I mean, without the mask or any characterization, it's hard to tell.

Surprise, it's Fresh Prince Will Smith.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

It was in front of me all along.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

This is an acceptable outcome.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Suicide Squad looks like it's gunna be real good.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
So when Rick Flagg moves onto the next mission at the end, we'll get this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmerFuzRNZ4

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Suicide Squad trailer is baller. I like these snippets of Robbie-Quinn wayyyyyy better. Bartending scene looks great.

TFRazorsaw posted:

You started this conversation comparing it unfavorably to the movie where the main female character immediately loses all agency the second she starts following Chris Pratt around.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress I hope so - I flipped to it this week and it was the episode where Will doesn't wanna go to the basketball game down in front row. Instant laughs. What a goddamn classic show.

Also, yah -- that trailer looks awesome. I cannot wait to go on that ride. :)

E: Also, Harley Quinn is known for exploiting her sexuality and taking advantage of others. It doesn't work out well for them very well. She's insanely dangerous. Hope she gets to use that hammer.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress I hope so - I flipped to it this week and it was the episode where Will doesn't wanna go to the basketball game down in front row. Instant laughs. What a goddamn classic show.

Also, yah -- that trailer looks awesome. I cannot wait to go on that ride. :)

Fresh Prince is really underrated. And you may say to me "but Pirate Jet it's one of the most-celebrated sitcoms of all time," and I may say "yeah and it's still underrated."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

McSpanky posted:

By this logic every Jesus movie should make a billion dollars a day for months on end.

Pretty sure there's a lot of "NOT MY JESUS" going on in the world.

• Locked thread