Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Pirate Jet posted:

Suicide Squad trailer is baller. I like these snippets of Robbie-Quinn wayyyyyy better. Bartending scene looks great.

You started this conversation comparing it unfavorably to the movie where the main female character immediately loses all agency the second she starts following Chris Pratt around.

I never defended Guardians. I'm just saying it's trying very hard to be DC's Guardians.

Imitating something that's flawed is kind of adding another level of distastefulness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

mr. stefan posted:

like realistically we all know slipknot gonna be dead as gently caress by the 45 minute mark, but is it too much to hope that there's at least one situation the squad runs into afterwards that could have been solved easily via creative application of ropes?

It looks like Harley is hanging from a rope trapeze from a building at some point (2:09 in the trailer). I hope she does that without any Slipknot help or reference to clinch that character.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

I never defended Guardians. I'm just saying it's trying very hard to be DC's Guardians.
In the sense that it involves several people doing a thing in a place, yes.

quote:

Imitating something that's flawed is kind of adding another level of distastefulness.
That would make one level, then.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Snowman_McK posted:

In the sense that it involves several people doing a thing in a place, yes.

It follows a group of antiheroes/scoundrels with a heavy emphasis (from the marketing at least) on older rock music. It feels rather transparent to me. You're free to disagree if you want.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

You're free to disagree if you want.

Oh thank god.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Oh thank god.

And also free to thank god if you want.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Rhyno posted:

And also free to thank god if you want.

God bless America.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

God bless America.

Not My God

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

It follows a group of antiheroes/scoundrels with a heavy emphasis (from the marketing at least) on older rock music. It feels rather transparent to me. You're free to disagree if you want.

What was the last tentpole movie marketed around new music? It's always either orchestral or retro. New pop music is reserved for comedies aimed at those young people I keep hearing about. New rock music doesn't seem to actually exist.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TetsuoTW posted:

Not My God

Shut up Mark Waid.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snowman_McK posted:

What was the last tentpole movie marketed around new music? It's always either orchestral or retro. New pop music is reserved for comedies aimed at those young people I keep hearing about. New rock music doesn't seem to actually exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skpu5HaVkOc

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I stand corrected. It's especially loving weird seeing as it's a 14 year old franchise full of old people.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

Uh, Transformers? The original trilogy each got a brand new Linkin Park song. The Twilight movies had soundtracks far better than they deserved. 50 Shades is technically a tentpole, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Uh, Transformers? The original trilogy each got a brand new Linkin Park song.

This is a thing to brag about?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

Uh, Transformers? The original trilogy each got a brand new Linkin Park song. The Twilight movies had soundtracks far better than they deserved. 50 Shades is technically a tentpole, right?

Yes. I don't know. No.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snowman_McK posted:

I stand corrected. It's especially loving weird seeing as it's a 14 year old franchise full of old people.

I think it's because a lot of movies are set in very fantastical worlds, so modern music seems weird.

Then again, they got Star Trek to sync with the Beastie Boys so who knows.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

This is a thing to brag about?

Linkin Park is literally the most popular/best selling modern rock band since the turn of the millennium. Quality aside, it's a pretty big deal.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Yoshifan823 posted:

Linkin Park is literally the most popular/best selling modern rock band since the turn of the millennium. Quality aside, it's a pretty big deal.

Nickelback sells a lot of albums too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Whizbang posted:

Nickelback sells a lot of albums too.

They should get them for the next GI Joe movie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

Despite not actually writing a new song since Hybrid Theory. They did buy new costumes and hire new directors for their videos though.

Now I feel old because I remembered that that album came out about the same time as Limp Bizkit's third album, and I thought it was a coin toss about which band would age better. I was a really loving stupid kid.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Rhyno posted:

They should get them for the next GI Joe movie.

"Look at this Joe-tograph!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snowman_McK posted:

Despite not actually writing a new song since Hybrid Theory. They did buy new costumes and hire new directors for their videos though.

Now I feel old because I remembered that that album came out about the same time as Limp Bizkit's third album, and I thought it was a coin toss about which band would age better. I was a really loving stupid kid.

I remember actually liking songs from both of them at one point.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I remember actually liking songs from both of them at one point.

We've all got a lot to answer for, man. This is a safe place.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

This might out me as a tool, but Linkin Park's fourth album is actually real good. It's simultaneously a really obvious album about how terrible nuclear war is and a touching one about about suicidal depression. And they're way different from Hybrid Theory, a lot less rap-rock-y than they used to be. I don't give a poo poo about anything they did after that, they made the one thing they were meant to make and now they're back to making Dumb Bullshit.

edit: Also you're allowed to like Hybrid Theory when you're 13, because it's exactly the emotional level of a 13-year-old.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I seem to remember the LP guys talking about rebelling from authority at some point when the average age of the band members was 25. That was silly.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
So what was that leak that was posted a while back that predicted the Ballroom Blitz trailer?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Man remember when Guardians of the Galaxy created the completely original idea of crazy antics to the tune of classic rock
Truly comic book movies have changed cinema.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Man remember when Guardians of the Galaxy created the completely original idea of crazy antics to the tune of classic rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV-nIlZ3XeE

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pirate Jet posted:

Did Xenomrph really just get fussy with me because I responded to their low effort post with a low effort post?
So you were responding to my low effort response to someone else's low effort post with a low effort post? We're through the looking glass.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 11, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Sort of crazy that was created by the same film that invented the ensemble picture.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pirate Jet posted:

So what was that leak that was posted a while back that predicted the Ballroom Blitz trailer?

Was it a leak or just a guess because the previous trailer also used a song from Wayne's World?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

edit: Also you're allowed to like Hybrid Theory when you're 13, because it's exactly the emotional level of a 13-year-old.

This is true. There is, however, no excuse for having liked Limp Bizkit. I did, and for this I still must atone.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

I didn't think there was a metric any less meaningful than Grammy's, I hate being proven wrong.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 11, 2016

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

Sort of crazy that was created by the same film that invented the ensemble picture.

And colours.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wow trailer totally spoiled the Giamatti reveal. Ruined the movie for me, definite skip

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7zbCeyYTys

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
TOTAL Deadpool copycat cashin bro, except at least Deadpool would have the decency to have been like "heh you just deepthroated a carrot, like. a. dick. Oprah Winfrey!!!" or something.
Thank you Deadpool for inventing the R rated action film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hope Suicide Squad will be something in the vein of Shoot 'em Up. I miss insane action movies like that. (Hardcore Henry was good though)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
You should consider investing in noted insane action film and hero Darkman. It's got everything you plants crave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSMl31b3OKc
Plus a superhero...played by Liam Neeson and young not bloated Bruce Campbell, you say? Yes, yes I do. I say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Darkman is an all time favorite for me...but I wouldn't put it up there with Crank or Shoot 'em Up. It does very much care and love the story it's telling.

• Locked thread