Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Basebf555 posted:

Depends on who asked for the reshoots. Most directors, when they've presented the studio with what they feel is a finished film, wouldn't think it is a good thing if the studio asked for additional re-shoots. In the case of Fury Road I'm assuming it was Miller who went to the studio and asked for more money because he felt the film needed it, not the other way around.

Nope. The studio saw the dailies and gave him more money because they loved what they saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Avengers had novelty working in its favor. "Holy poo poo look at all these heroes on the screen at once, and its a Real Movie, not some kid's cartoon!"

The X-Men movies were a decade earlier.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah neither movie is great but AoU shows significant improvements in character writing, acting & cinematography. it's still, like, a B- movie, tops, but it was at least a step up.

Exactly. It's more competent at basically everything, and you've also got James Spader.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
AoU looks 200% better than Avengers but it's so god drat bland. I also saw it at midnight with my friends because I hate myself, and all of us left incredibly disappointed, even the guys who love all the Marvel movies.

I know it's anecdotal but I really don't hear anyone talk about AoU as much as people still talk about Avengers.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

GonSmithe posted:

Nope. The studio saw the dailies and gave him more money because they loved what they saw.

Well that's not really what we're taking about then. If they saw the dailies, liked what they saw, and then just increased the budget, that's one thing. Its entirely different to ask that reshoots be done for a specific purpose, like adding action or humor.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Basebf555 posted:

Well that's not really what we're taking about then. If they saw the dailies, liked what they saw, and then just increased the budget, that's one thing. Its entirely different to ask that reshoots be done for a specific purpose, like adding action or humor.

The director asked.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

AoU's biggest problem is that while Avengers is pretty workhorse and concerned with simply being functional, AoU had higher aspirations, and failed to meet them so hard for a slew of various reasons that the movie ends up being just a total loving mess.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it's not particularly impressive, but I don't know that I agree it's a total mess. if you cut the wonder twins and trimmed down the stuff at Hawkeye's ranch it'd be completely functional. really, it has the same problem every other superhero movie/blockbuster has these days: it's too long and has too many subplots.

edit: hell you could even keep Wanda and just ditch Quicksilver. everything about Quicksilver sucked.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I honestly dont know why but I loved Age of Ultron. The only other Marvel movies I like are WS, GoTG and Ant-Man.

I think I went in expecting total trash but felt satisfied with it because it is very comoc booky. Something about the villains plot was so rediculous and over the top it actually felt fun to watch the team try to thwart it.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah neither movie is great but AoU shows significant improvements in character writing, acting & cinematography. it's still, like, a B- movie, tops, but it was at least a step up.

This is part of it too. I actually felt for once we had a team up movie where they felt like people and had mildly interesting conflicts whereas Avengers 1 everyone felt like a generic cardboard cut out.

I really enjoyed the Hawkeye family plot in AoU. At this point I expect such shallow garbage from most comic book movies Im pleasantly suprised when we get ANY meaningful characterization.

And its cinematography was such a massive step up from everything but GoTG.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 11, 2016

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Timby posted:

It was on one of the movie channels when I was in the hospital a couple of weeks ago, and mother of God, it's just so unpleasant to watch.

"Pleasant" is exactly the word I would use to describe Age of Ultron. It's inoffensive, unchallenging, but just charming enough to make it perfect for letting it wash over you while you're barely paying attention or otherwise engaged. It's the film equivalent of some relaxing ambient music or a really nice screensaver.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The biggest issue with Age of Ultron, as I've said before, is that it feels like Whedon wrote a four-hour script, and neither he nor anyone at Marvel Studios had the presence of mind to think, "Wait, this needs to be a two-hour movie, if we shoot all of this we're going to have to hack it to pieces in editing." And then Whedon went and complained for a month that the studio meddled in the editing process, instead of admitting, "Actually, maybe I needed another draft or two."

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I thought Ultron himself was a really fun villain to watch. Hugo Weavings talent was wasted on Red Skull, would have really liked to see his take on Ultron.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

broken clock opsec posted:

I'm pretty sure there's still a contingent here holding out unironic hope for Triple H for some role or other.

I unironically want Brian Cage as Cable and the guy who plays MY BROTHER THE MONSTER MATANZA CUETO as Bane :colbert:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I unironically want Brian Cage as Cable and the guy who plays MY BROTHER THE MONSTER MATANZA CUETO as Bane :colbert:

Cage played He-man recently, check that out for his... um... acting ability.

e: and MMC is basically Lucha Bane so that would work.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Uh, they released another TMNT trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAbRg7xUtVU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MacheteZombie posted:

Cage played He-man recently, check that out for his... um... acting ability.

That fan film is hilarious, and I'm pretty sure an actual director would be able to do better with him than a fan film director.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

That fan film is hilarious, and I'm pretty sure an actual director would be able to do better with him than a fan film director.

He has to wear the He-Man wig in all movies.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

gunna be fun.

but when donnie put the ooze on his hand and it turned into a four fingered hand i nearly gagged

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Looks like we're getting full-on Dimension X shenanigans this time at least. I'm hoping for some neutrinos and Usagi Yojimbo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Huh, I'm more interested now because of that motivation.

There's a lot of Day of the Dead imagery recently though. This, BvS, Spectre, etc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Basebf555 posted:

Looks like we're getting full-on Dimension X shenanigans this time at least. I'm hoping for some neutrinos and Usagi Yojimbo.

I don't think Nick has the rights to Usagi.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rhyno posted:

I feel like what's his name would be down to put Usagi in a movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

gunna be fun.

but when donnie put the ooze on his hand and it turned into a four fingered hand i nearly gagged

No, bring on more body horror. Baxter-Fly and Werecat April coming up next!

Phylodox posted:

"Pleasant" is exactly the word I would use to describe Age of Ultron. It's inoffensive, unchallenging, but just charming enough to make it perfect for letting it wash over you while you're barely paying attention or otherwise engaged. It's the film equivalent of some relaxing ambient music or a really nice screensaver.

[Plays Age of Ultron bluray and Joss Whedon appears speaking in a breathy wispher] "Hey, guys! It's me, Josh. Our first sound for today is me rubbing this Hulk figure against this Hulkbuster figure" [sound of of two action figures brushing against each other for 10 minutes] "Next, I am going to gently caress this car."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I feel like what's his name would be down to put Usagi in a movie.

Maybe on it's own, he never had good things to say about the licensing deal he signed back in the day.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

That's bizarre. They have the rights to the Turtles, Splinter, April, Casey, Shredder, Beebop & Rocksteady, and Krang, but for some reason Usagi was left out? It can't possibly have anything to do with the actual Kurosawa Yojimbo character can it?

If I find out they don't have the rights to Napoleon Bonafrog this will really be a lovely day.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

That's bizarre. They have the rights to the Turtles, Splinter, April, Casey, Shredder, Beebop & Rocksteady, and Krang, but for some reason Usagi was left out? It can't possibly have anything to do with the actual Kurosawa Yojimbo character can it?

Usagi Yojimbo wasn't an original TMNT character. Stan Sakai created him around the same time as the turtles came about, but he has his own universe of stories.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The MSJ posted:

No, bring on more body horror. Baxter-Fly and Werecat April coming up next!

I actually totally agree. It was just horrible looking and that's a good thing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The MSJ posted:

No, bring on more body horror.

i hope they include the story line from the comics where Krang literally takes over Shredderæs body:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harlock posted:

Except that goddamn Batman Forever made a ton of money

Batman Forever was a fun, silly, entertaining movie featuring incredibly over the top villains and visuals. I think it's an ideal Batman-for-kids film.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Batman Forever also got an Oscar nomination for Best Cinematography, which I love pointing out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Batman Forever also got an Oscar nomination for Best Cinematography, which I love pointing out.

What the hell?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The ASC nominated Goldblatt for an outstanding achievement in Cinematography for Forever, too.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Retardog posted:

Usagi Yojimbo wasn't an original TMNT character. Stan Sakai created him around the same time as the turtles came about, but he has his own universe of stories.

Yeah didn't Usagi live in a world of all animal characters? Whereas the animal people in TMNT were all mutated.

I remember picking up a few issues of Usagi and it was good, I wonder if there are any especially good collections I can revisit.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Choose to pay more for the ticket!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The MSJ posted:

I'm actually very glad that IMAX is replacing 3D as the gimmick du jour.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The MSJ posted:

Olsen looks like she's reacting to someone who just ripped off a wet fart in the middle of church.

Edit: Alternatively, Emmanuelle Béart in the first Mission: Impossible.

Timby fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 11, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's so much cooler.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

My complaint being that most movies that hit my local IMAX screen are also in 3D.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's so much cooler.

Yeah it's a pretty unambiguous trade up, something that's actually cool and looks good versus something that 99% of the time looks like complete rear end

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

My complaint being that most movies that hit my local IMAX screen are also in 3D.

It's starting to move the other way from what I've been seeing. Lately at the big AMC near me you can choose regular, imax, or 3D showings for stuff. I think 3D might finally be on the chopping block.

The fact that they released Deadpool in IMAX but not 3D is rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Can I blame IMAX in any way for the various aspect ratios Nolan used for Interstellar? I find that to be jarring when I watch it on Blu ray.

• Locked thread