Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kuvo posted:

I don't understand how anyone could ever hate Big Zam

I don't really count Big Zam. It's more the Dendrobium line of armors and such. Zam is a relatively simple design by comparison, so I don't treat it the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Thanks for all the information guys! This thread is really active and I love that. What is the name of the machine that chick in Unicorn flys that has the 8ish cannons that split off? I really like that one. It's no Gusion Rebake though

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Thanks for all the information guys! This thread is really active and I love that. What is the name of the machine that chick in Unicorn flys that has the 8ish cannons that split off? I really like that one. It's no Gusion Rebake though

Kshatriya.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Kshatriya is dope as gently caress

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Arrgytehpirate posted:

As an aside, the deployable cannons are called funnels(due to their rough shape), and are examples of newtype weaponry. Basically, she's controlling those with her mind.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kuvo posted:

I don't understand how anyone could ever hate Big Zam

Cause all the love in my heart is reserved for the Little Zam. Alternately, the Zakrello.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kanos posted:

As an aside, the deployable cannons are called funnels(due to their rough shape), and are examples of newtype weaponry. Basically, she's controlling those with her mind.

I was always under the impression that Funnels and Bits are less literally mind controlled guns and more computer controlled while taking advantage of a Newtype's spatial awareness to keep track of multiple little floating guns in space and aiming them.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I'm pretty sure in CCA they basically say to reach out to them with your mind to control them, and can't some people even take control of funnels away from their original user?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eej posted:

I was always under the impression that Funnels and Bits are less literally mind controlled guns and more computer controlled while taking advantage of a Newtype's spatial awareness to keep track of multiple little floating guns in space and aiming them.

In practical terms funnels are mind controlled because it's totally impossible for an oldtype to not only keep track of a large number of independent floating weapons pods in a high speed combat situation, but also have them attack multiple targets effectively from all angles. Their functionality is entirely tied to Newtype Brain Wizard Powers.

This is supported by the fact that the NT-D system can "psyco-jack" funnels and take full control over them using the Unicorn's psycoframe, which suggests a huge part of funnel control actually is psychic.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 11, 2016

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They're controlled by your brain because the only thing that isn't affected by minovsky particles is brain waves

Which comes back around to Newtypes being able to communicate better because Minovsky particles inhibit communication, get it :haw:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eej posted:

Funnels are psychically controlled. Minovsky Particles prevent ranged weapons from functioning and so the only way around that is with psychic control. Early versions of them have wires but the wires are to help prevent them from getting lost and not to actually control them. Incoms are computer-controlled versions and do use wired controls to get around that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

muike posted:

They're controlled by your brain because the only thing that isn't affected by minovsky particles is brain waves

Which comes back around to Newtypes being able to communicate better because Minovsky particles inhibit communication, get it :haw:

Yep. It uses a gizmo called the 'psycommu' which employs a Newtype's extra-powerful brain-waves to transmit data like a radio. It's the only way to remotely control weaponry without the Minovsky radiation from ships' and suits' power-plants loving up the signal. The closest things that oldtypes can use are wire-guided weapons - you'll see a couple of those on a machine that shows up near the end of Unicorn.

Bits and funnels are the next stage of humanity using their superhuman abilities to connect with weapons rather than other people. They're pretty key to the Universal Century's grim, cynical themes.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watched the first 3 episodes on Gundam Wing. This is not a very good show.

There is a lack of sense of geography on or off the battlefield. People and machines teleport all over the place. No one knows what they are doing. People do things like entering a military base, setting off huge explosions or hauling Gundams of the water without anybody noticing. The fights are floaty, substance-less and the sheer number of explosions actually make things dull. Zechs keeps letting his aides get killed. Everyone say some really bizarre stuff whether they are actually speaking to anyone or not. Operations M is so far incoherent, poorly planned and executed. gently caress you show for naming one of your protagonists Heero. Heero flips from I kill you now to I must self terminate back and forwards.

Yet I don't hate it yet. It's like watching a factory/warehouse explode in China. You know it happened because they did stupid and bad things continuously for a long time but out comes the popcorn anyway to eat and throw.

My favourite shot so far is a simple shot of Heero face down in the water while they talk about him. Just let him drown for a while I guess not that the next episode or any following scene makes any sense.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Get drunk and pretty much just let the madness wash over you with Wing.

And embrace the manly bad rear end nature of Treize in a lovely bubbly pink bath.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wing and 'making sense' are some of anathema to each other.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

You're getting too hung up on minor details.

The only really important thing you criticzed was how "incoherent" Operation M was and that is specifically addressed in the show. There's a reason for why it makes no sense.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

oohhboy posted:

Watched the first 3 episodes on Gundam Wing. This is not a very good show.

There is a lack of sense of geography on or off the battlefield. People and machines teleport all over the place. No one knows what they are doing. People do things like entering a military base, setting off huge explosions or hauling Gundams of the water without anybody noticing. The fights are floaty, substance-less and the sheer number of explosions actually make things dull. Zechs keeps letting his aides get killed. Everyone say some really bizarre stuff whether they are actually speaking to anyone or not. Operations M is so far incoherent, poorly planned and executed. gently caress you show for naming one of your protagonists Heero. Heero flips from I kill you now to I must self terminate back and forwards.

Yet I don't hate it yet. It's like watching a factory/warehouse explode in China. You know it happened because they did stupid and bad things continuously for a long time but out comes the popcorn anyway to eat and throw.

My favourite shot so far is a simple shot of Heero face down in the water while they talk about him. Just let him drown for a while I guess not that the next episode or any following scene makes any sense.

Here is what is good about Wing:

- The still pictures. There's some really amazing ones, like the Tallgeese holding it's own head in it's hands.
- The Soundtrack.
- The crazy dub.
- The plot gets really weird/insane/stupid and if you embrace it, it's really fun. It also never really stops moving.
- The mobile suit design.

So if you can focus on those qualities it has and ignore the tiny budget, terrible fight choreography and the nonsense that occurs on the screen, it's all good fun.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

The only really important thing you criticzed was how "incoherent" Operation M was and that is specifically addressed in the show. There's a reason for why it makes no sense.

I think wing's an okay show, but the fact is the fights in wing are lovely and it's a legitimate complaint.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

this is The Reason To Watch Wing in a nutshell, really:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7SloE7AjqI

wing is really one of the more enjoyable gundams for me personally, but you really have to be watching it with the right mindset

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

- The crazy dub.

ARE YOU MAKING FUN OF ME DAMMIT!

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't see how explaining Operation M will ever absolve the show of it's insanity and problems. Someone tried in earnest to make a Gundam show and failed so hard as to become a semi-watchable ouroboros of insanity and unintentional comedy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4U4FkGe3Sw

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think they intentionally knew how cray cray they were getting

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

When I first saw this, I went DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYUM in real life.

Srice posted:

I think they intentionally knew how cray cray they were getting

And this is a good thing, unlike the out of control nilhist insanity with something like Victory Gundam.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think there's at least a couple instances of them showing that the writers were aware of how batshit the show is. to some degree it is intentional.

stuff like how heero's introductory new student speech about space war that ends with the teacher saying "i don't think this is a very appropriate subject for your introduction heero"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh, and I forgot to mention lots of cool characters.

not Wu Fei though, he's just the worst.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

i had forgotten about this wonderful scene so thank you for posting it again :allears:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh, and I forgot to mention lots of cool characters.

not Wu Fei though, he's just the worst.

Duo, on the other hand, is awesome(and so is his dub voice actor, who I've met several times and is an awesome guy). I just like to block the very existence of Wu Fei out of my mind when thinking about Wing. Even his suit makes no sense(how do flame throwers cause mobile suits to explode?).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

Duo, on the other hand, is awesome(and so is his dub voice actor, who I've met several times and is an awesome guy). I just like to block the very existence of Wu Fei out of my mind when thinking about Wing. Even his suit makes no sense(how do flame throwers cause mobile suits to explode?).

That one's easy - the fuel or ammunition cooks off, just like when a tank catches fire.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

MORBIL SOOTS MADE IN OUTER SPEEZ

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

ninjewtsu posted:

wing is really one of the more enjoyable gundams for me personally, but you really have to be watching it with the right mindset

... this mindset being "was born in 1985" I would assume.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gundam Wing is a lot of fun, but don't look for anything to make sense at any time.

Mostly it gets by one pure momentum. Things are always happening and being shaken up. People switch sides constantly, seemingly at a whim. Hateful enemies will meet each other on the battlefield and decide to work together for vague reasons. Entire factions will cease to exist during timeskips that are barely mentioned in the narration.

It's the kind of thing where you either have to have to either be constantly taking notes to make sense of it, or just accept that it's just a crazy show where things happen for no reason sometimes.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

I have been to quite a few cons and I am really annoyed that I haven't met Scott Mcneil yet. He's like the one voice actor I'd really like to meet. He voiced my favourite wing boy, and voiced dinobot, waspinator and rattrap.The guy basically played all my childhood favourites. Plus he was chewing the scenery so hard as Ali that it was just fun to listen to.

Also wing is at least okay because it has treize in it :colbert:.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 11, 2016

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Bimmi posted:

... this mindset being "was born in 1985" I would assume.

i was born a decade later so that's not exactly how i would describe it

weird assumption though?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

are only people from the 80s allowed to enjoy things for being dumb and insane idgi

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

i was born a decade later so that's not exactly how i would describe it

weird assumption though?

Bimmi can be a bit of a grumpy old man at times.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

1985 is a weirdly specific year to drop

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Quatre was the worst for me. I like Wufei because he's just an unapologetic rear end in a top hat. That's his thing. You got the two kind of stoic ones, the two kind of nice ones and then the guy who is just a complete jerk.

Speaking of meeting VAs though, has anyone here met Brad Swaile? He's Amuro, he's Quatre, he's Setsuna, he's Light Yagami... Dude is crazy diverse and very talented. I heard they were reluctant to give him another Gundam role but he so impressed htem auditioning for Setsuna in 00 they couldn't object.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
He's as much the voice of Amuro in my head as Tohru Furuya is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ninjewtsu posted:

Wing really does have the most amazing and hilarious dub in all of Gundam. One of the best scenes is clearly when Trowa offers Wufei some coffee, and in response Wufei non-sequiturs into some really out of place declaration, while Trowa just sorta ROLLS with it. There's absolutely no justice in just transcribing the dialogue, you have to actually listen to the acting.

I'm seeing a lot of Wufei hate around here, and while he pretty much is the biggest toolbox in the show and deserves a lot of the hate he gets, I'm convinced that the writers purposefully made him to be so inherently dislikeable that he almost wraps around into being funny and likeable. You know whenever he shows up in Wing, something fantastically dumb is about to go down or be said.

I think it also helps that he's voiced by Ted Cole, who was also the voice of Tatewaki Kuno from Ranma 1/2. The voice fits the character almost too well.