Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Paradoxish posted:

If there's any kind of push to sunset manually driven cars within the next few decades (and I really doubt there will be), it's almost definitely going to come from manufacturers touting the safety benefits of more connected roadways and ultimately looking to reduce their own exposure to liability. I do think we'll start seeing requirements for new cars to include progressively more sophisticated level 2/3 autonomous systems, though.
Ya I'm sure they will push for it, but there is a big difference between "push for tech to be mandatory on new cars" and "you can't drive a car without this". I.E., seatbelts, backup cams, anti-lock brakes, etc. I have no idea why anyone would think the Fed gov would create some amazing new program helping everyone get into a self driving car. In the midst of the 08 recession, we could barely scrape together 3 billion in tax dollars for the Cash for Clunkers program - you are dreaming if you think we are going to fund a mass transition to level 4 systems.

And connected roadways? We are spending less on infrastructure, not more. Freeways and highways around the country are falling apart at the seams in a political climate that prizes low spending. Total pipe dream straight from Wired magazine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

Backup cameras will be mandatory in the US for all new cars sold as of 2018.

Can't we just do the same with all of the mirrors on a car in a few years? Replace side mirrors with cameras that have better FOV and don't stick out.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Doctor Butts posted:

Can't we just do the same with all of the mirrors on a car in a few years? Replace side mirrors with cameras that have better FOV and don't stick out.
There are already a number of cars that come with side view cameras (like the Honda Fit at the highest trim level). Frankly, having driven one, I think the side view camera would save more lives than the back up camera. It shows you basically an entire 90 degrees to your right and makes lane changing effortless. Backup camera mostly just makes parking and navigating parking lots a little easier, along with the 1 in a million "your 2 year old walked behind the car" moment.

Of course, we arn't going to make old cars get them since that is something that we basically never do.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So in the autonomocarpocalypse, do our emergency services vehicles still operate a hybrid mode with human-directed driving every now and then?

I'm assuming the Fire Dept/Ambulances will need meatspace pilots here and there, even if the roads magically part for them during an emergency.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I'm looking forward to the glorious future where I have to root my car, and then flash it back when it's time for inspections.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

mkultra419 posted:

Also, cultural incentives. How do you think the media is going to protray a drunk driver who kills someone while driving drunk in "manual" mode instead of using "auto" mode? How is a jury going to react to it? How many "my children would still be alive if that poor wasn't driving an outdated vehicle" stories do you think a senator with a lot of automotive companies in his state needs to start passing laws to force people to buy automated?
Exactly. We accept a certain number of deaths from dumb/bad drivers because there's no apparent practical solution. Once self-driving cars are commonplace, there will be an obvious practical solution, and so people will be much less tolerant of traffic deaths.

cheese posted:

You are off your rocker if you think we are anywhere near passing a law sunsetting manually driven cars. Totally off your rocker.
Well, I did say

Cicero posted:

A couple decades from now sounds about right.
And that's for passing the law, not actual implementation of the ban (which would be set 5-10 years out from the law being passed).

quote:

My uncle drives around in a car that is grandfathered into no seat belts and we have not even federally mandated proper motorcycle helmets, and those are simple things that clearly save lives.
The difference there is that those things only affect the people using them. If some other dude decides to not wear seatbelts, it's no skin off my back. Whereas compared to (presumably competent) self-driving cars, someone manually driving their old rustbucket represents a substantially larger threat to everyone around them.

quote:

And thinking that "rich" people (who apparently spend a lot of time driving around in their cars) are going to push for all the plebs to get self driving cars so they will be safer is just some odd, twisted thinking. Mostly because I assume the people who are so rich they have that kind of pull take their helicopter straight to their private jet.
How is it weird at all? People freak out about a much smaller number of terrorist deaths, once traffic fatalities are clearly preventable via policy, people are going to start thinking about them differently. And I'm not saying just the super rich, but the merely affluent, too. Maybe even the middle of the middle-class, depending on how quickly self-driving cars become mainstream.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Cicero posted:

The difference there is that those things only affect the people using them. If some other dude decides to not wear seatbelts, it's no skin off my back. Whereas compared to (presumably competent) self-driving cars, someone manually driving their old rustbucket represents a substantially larger threat to everyone around them.

Cicero posted:

How is it weird at all? People freak out about a much smaller number of terrorist deaths, once traffic fatalities are clearly preventable via policy, people are going to start thinking about them differently. And I'm not saying just the super rich, but the merely affluent, too. Maybe even the middle of the middle-class, depending on how quickly self-driving cars become mainstream.
Then why have we not not made Anti Lock Brake systems/electronic stability control mandatory for old vehicles? Those have a statistically significant impact on traffic accidents - cars with ABS are flat out more safe for their drivers AND the other cars on the road. If we wanted safer driving, we should just install a breathalizer in every car. Far cheaper and it would halve traffic fatalities, but we both know that will never happen.

As far as car systems, what we will see in our life times is more and more automation of safety tasks. Auto braking systems that detect possible collisions faster than a person could? Sure. Side view cameras with indicators when a car is in your blind spot? Ya, no doubt. But level 4 systems where you take a nap and wake up at your destination? Not a chance. I.E., not with MY kids in the car they will say. Not when my 10 month old iPhone crashes while loading facebook.

I'm not convinced we are even anywhere close to the technology that can handle all of the exigent circumstances that can occur while driving, let alone Americans awful roads, side alleys, etc.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

cheese posted:

Then why have we not not made Anti Lock Brake systems/electronic stability control mandatory for old vehicles? Those have a statistically significant impact on traffic accidents - cars with ABS are flat out more safe for their drivers AND the other cars on the road.
Yes, but the magnitude is very different. A competent self-driving system might eliminate 90%+ of traffic fatalities. That's huge, far larger than existing safety improvements, which are much more incremental.

quote:

If we wanted safer driving, we should just install a breathalizer in every car. Far cheaper and it would halve traffic fatalities, but we both know that will never happen.
Most people would look at that as an invasion of privacy, and too heavy-handed. The difference with self-driving cars is that in a lot of ways they're desirable for the user as well, since you'd be able to do something else while driving.

quote:

As far as car systems, what we will see in our life times is more and more automation of safety tasks. Auto braking systems that detect possible collisions faster than a person could? Sure. Side view cameras with indicators when a car is in your blind spot? Ya, no doubt. But level 4 systems where you take a nap and wake up at your destination? Not a chance.
It's one thing to think we won't get level 4 systems within the next decade, that's at least plausible, but not within the next several decades? That's absurdly pessimistic.

quote:

I.E., not with MY kids in the car they will say.
What if those cars are safer for your kids, rather than more dangerous?

quote:

Not when my 10 month old iPhone crashes while loading facebook.
What nonsense is this? Your car already has craptons of software on it, but it hasn't killed you yet. Comparing the reliability of a safety-critical system to one where the only downside is "have to wait a few more seconds to post my sweet clubbin' pics" is dumb.

quote:

I'm not convinced we are even anywhere close to the technology that can handle all of the exigent circumstances that can occur while driving, let alone Americans awful roads, side alleys, etc.
I'm sure the first systems will be level 4 with certain conditions; e.g. the weather isn't horrible and the roads are ones that have been pre-mapped. But eventually they'll get there, and you're nuts if you think it'll take 40+ years.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cicero posted:

I'm sure the first systems will be level 4 with certain conditions;

That's called "level 3".

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

That's called "level 3".
Level 3 says that

quote:

The car senses when conditions require the driver to retake control and provides a "sufficiently comfortable transition time" for the driver to do so.
I'm suggesting that the car would know ahead of time whether it'd be able to handle the trip on its own, because it would know whether there's a bad storm going on/coming, and whether the route it's planning to take has been mapped. That's different from "sometimes has to hand over control in the middle of a trip because of unexpected construction".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cicero posted:

Level 3 says that

I'm suggesting that the car would know ahead of time whether it'd be able to handle the trip on its own, because it would know whether there's a bad storm going on/coming, and whether the route it's planning to take has been mapped. That's different from "sometimes has to hand over control in the middle of a trip because of unexpected construction".

And what would it do if the weather forecast was incorrect, or there was an accident in front of it, or a parade blocking the route? If it depends on conditions that can change unpredictably, then it needs to hand over to a driver (or cease operation) if they do, which means L3 AIUI. L4 isn't just complexity of operation, but also complexity of conditions.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Cicero posted:

Yes, but the magnitude is very different. A competent self-driving system might eliminate 90%+ of traffic fatalities. That's huge, far larger than existing safety improvements, which are much more incremental.
Might. And I'd argue that some of the more low hanging fruit features like collision detection w/auto braking would eat up a lot of that 90%+. In fact, I daresay that the current rapid pace of safety features might end up taking some of the wind out of the self driving car sails, at least from a safety point of view.

Cicero posted:

Most people would look at that as an invasion of privacy, and too heavy-handed. The difference with self-driving cars is that in a lot of ways they're desirable for the user as well, since you'd be able to do something else while driving.
But forcing people to get rid of their perfectly fine old cars and buy a new one with total computer control is not heavy handed?

Cicero posted:

It's one thing to think we won't get level 4 systems within the next decade, that's at least plausible, but not within the next several decades? That's absurdly pessimistic.

I'm sure the first systems will be level 4 with certain conditions; e.g. the weather isn't horrible and the roads are ones that have been pre-mapped. But eventually they'll get there, and you're nuts if you think it'll take 40+ years.
Have you seen the roads in our country? The weather? Remember you are talking about getting automated cars to the point where we are sunsetting functioning cars because the safety advantage and financial benefits of totally automated cars is overwhelming. Going to tax payers and saying "Sorry you have to get rid of your 2040 Honda Fit because automated cars are just that much better". A significant and growing percentage of Americans don't even believe in vaccines for fucks sake. You are stuck in some kind of rationalist fantasy if you think level 4 is a guarantee in the next few decades.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cheese posted:

You are stuck in some kind of rationalist fantasy if you think level 4 is a guarantee in the next few decades.

There's that dude up-thread who has been talking to the US automakers and apparently they say L4 by 2020? That's probably aggressive, but is it off by 25 years?

(I found the 2020 claim surprising, I admit, and would be interested in more detail, but that was the claim.)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Subjunctive posted:

Car-to-car is a whole other can of worms.

cheese posted:

And connected roadways? We are spending less on infrastructure, not more. Freeways and highways around the country are falling apart at the seams in a political climate that prizes low spending. Total pipe dream straight from Wired magazine.

Whoops, sorry, I just wasn't very clear. I was talking entirely about car-to-car communication, not actual road infrastructure.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Paradoxish posted:

Whoops, sorry, I just wasn't very clear. I was talking entirely about car-to-car communication, not actual road infrastructure.

What would the cars communicate with each other that isn't better handled by sensors on the vehicles?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Subjunctive posted:

What would the cars communicate with each other that isn't better handled by sensors on the vehicles?
"I see an object you maybe can see"
"I anticipate making a lane change in 1 minute"
"My preferred crash areas are here"
"I brake in the following acceleration range"
"I'm experiencing an emergency and request priority access to this lane"

twodot fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 11, 2016

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Ahahaha there's no way in hell congress will ever mandate 100% driverless cars by banning manual vehicles or even just sunsetting their manufacture. People in this country lost their loving poo poo over the government doing the same thing with incandescent light bulbs for fucks sake.

Car culture is an integral part of American culture and you'll see blood in the streets before the government literally takes away the right for people to manually drive their old cars and trucks.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
counterpoint: merica sucks

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Ahahaha there's no way in hell congress will ever mandate 100% driverless cars by banning manual vehicles or even just sunsetting their manufacture. People in this country lost their loving poo poo over the government doing the same thing with incandescent light bulbs for fucks sake.

Car culture is an integral part of American culture and you'll see blood in the streets before the government literally takes away the right for people to manually drive their old cars and trucks.

Petulant dittoheads lost their poo poo, which they do every time a Democrat in power does a thing.

You're right about the second part, though. I can't imagine even the snootiest urban left coast politician daring to deprive middle Americans of their pickups or muscle cars.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Simple things like knowledge of intentions (ie, "I'm braking and intend to slow down to at least [x] miles per hour") would drastically improve the efficiency of highway traffic. Like, I'm pretty good at maintaining following distance in general, but I'd be ten times better at it (and put less wear on my brakes and use less gas) if I had the intentions of the driver that I'm following beamed directly into my head. The point wouldn't be to replace sensors, it'd be to allow a pack of autonomous cars in close proximity to drive in the most efficient way possible.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Petulant dittoheads lost their poo poo, which they do every time a Democrat in power does a thing.

You're right about the second part, though. I can't imagine even the snootiest urban left coast politician daring to deprive middle Americans of their pickups or muscle cars.
Come on, alcohol is legal and kills thousands every year, but Marijuana and other drugs that are far less dangerous are highly illegal. There is little in the American political and legal realms that has to do with pure rationale. Guantanamo Bay is still open because people are afraid of "having terrorists on our shores". Imagining that the American people and their "elected representatives" would ever act in anything approaching a purely rationale way is the height of delusion.

Paradoxish posted:

Simple things like knowledge of intentions (ie, "I'm braking and intend to slow down to at least [x] miles per hour") would drastically improve the efficiency of highway traffic. Like, I'm pretty good at maintaining following distance in general, but I'd be ten times better at it (and put less wear on my brakes and use less gas) if I had the intentions of the driver that I'm following beamed directly into my head. The point wouldn't be to replace sensors, it'd be to allow a pack of autonomous cars in close proximity to drive in the most efficient way possible.
I love when we go full circle and come back to the awkward reality of automated cars: they will exist largely to fill the role that should be occupied by widespread public transportation.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

And what would it do if the weather forecast was incorrect, or there was an accident in front of it, or a parade blocking the route? If it depends on conditions that can change unpredictably, then it needs to hand over to a driver (or cease operation) if they do, which means L3 AIUI. L4 isn't just complexity of operation, but also complexity of conditions.
Right, what I'm saying is that they'd be able to handle relatively day to day things on pre-mapped roads like accidents/unexpected construction, and things they couldn't handle like extremely severe weather, they'd be able to see coming if they have internet. There's a continuum of things going from L3 to L4, and it's not clear that to hit L4 you'd have to handle literally any possible thing that could ever happen perfectly (e.g. what if there's an earthquake and the bridge you're on starts to collapse? what if there's an active shooter situation?).

cheese posted:

Might. And I'd argue that some of the more low hanging fruit features like collision detection w/auto braking would eat up a lot of that 90%+. In fact, I daresay that the current rapid pace of safety features might end up taking some of the wind out of the self driving car sails, at least from a safety point of view.
IIRC automatic braking has reduced crashes by like 9% or something. Definitely good, but the problem seems to be that if you only intervene at the last moment, you can't necessarily prevent a crash. You're right that there's going to be a steady ramp-up to full self-driving across the marketplace, but what I'm suggesting is that at some point, people will lose their tolerance for, say, people driving old classic cars that they may see as dangerous to others.

quote:

But forcing people to get rid of their perfectly fine old cars and buy a new one with total computer control is not heavy handed?
It is, obviously, but there's at least a clear upside for the consumer who is being forced (self-driving is convenient; a breathalyzer doesn't help you at all if you don't drink and drive), and because it will be something that most people will choose freely, I think it will be seen as less onerous to force people to get a car with such a system.

quote:

Have you seen the roads in our country? The weather? Remember you are talking about getting automated cars to the point where we are sunsetting functioning cars because the safety advantage and financial benefits of totally automated cars is overwhelming.
Yeah, it'll be a while before this happens.

quote:

Going to tax payers and saying "Sorry you have to get rid of your 2040 Honda Fit because automated cars are just that much better". A significant and growing percentage of Americans don't even believe in vaccines for fucks sake. You are stuck in some kind of rationalist fantasy if you think level 4 is a guarantee in the next few decades.
Yes, a significant percentage of Americans don't believe in vaccines, but that didn't stop California from recently getting rid of the personal belief exemption for unvaccinated children going to public schools. We don't have to have 100% of people on board to pass new laws.

quote:

Oh, they'll be able to manually drive their old cars and trucks all they want.

...on private roads, of course.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Cicero posted:

IIRC automatic braking has reduced crashes by like 9% or something. Definitely good, but the problem seems to be that if you only intervene at the last moment, you can't necessarily prevent a crash. You're right that there's going to be a steady ramp-up to full self-driving across the marketplace, but what I'm suggesting is that at some point, people will lose their tolerance for, say, people driving old classic cars that they may see as dangerous to others.
Has there even been enough data gathered on that yet? I would imagine there is a cumulative effect with increasing adoption of automatic braking. I'd also have to think it's main benefit would be in lessening the severity of crashes, not so much in avoiding them. Every mph you can subtract off the rate of collision you save lives.

Cicero posted:

It is, obviously, but there's at least a clear upside for the consumer who is being forced (self-driving is convenient; a breathalyzer doesn't help you at all if you don't drink and drive), and because it will be something that most people will choose freely, I think it will be seen as less onerous to force people to get a car with such a system.

Yes, a significant percentage of Americans don't believe in vaccines, but that didn't stop California from recently getting rid of the personal belief exemption for unvaccinated children going to public schools. We don't have to have 100% of people on board to pass new laws.
And vaccines don't cost you anything, nor do they impact your "Freedom". We are not going to take away peoples manually driven cars. Its not happening.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

cheese posted:

I love when we go full circle and come back to the awkward reality of automated cars: they will exist largely to fill the role that should be occupied by widespread public transportation.

That's because "autonomous cars will/won't happen within our lifetime" and "we should have better public transportation" are completely separate arguments that have no relationship to each other. Human driven cars and public transportation already fill the same roles. Autonomous cars, if they ever exist, would fill the same demand that exists for personal transportation. If you can convince people to take the bus instead of an autonomous car then you can convince them to take the bus instead of their regular ol' manually driven car too.

I mean, you won't get any argument from me that public transportation is and always will be the better option. That has nothing to do with feasibility or likelihood of autonomous cars, though.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

cheese posted:

Has there even been enough data gathered on that yet? I would imagine there is a cumulative effect with increasing adoption of automatic braking.
I meant a 9% reduction in cars that have it.

quote:

I'd also have to think it's main benefit would be in lessening the severity of crashes, not so much in avoiding them. Every mph you can subtract off the rate of collision you save lives.
Yeah that's fair.

quote:

And vaccines don't cost you anything, nor do they impact your "Freedom". We are not going to take away peoples manually driven cars. Its not happening.
What? To anti-vaxxers, mandating vaccines definitely takes away your 'freedom'. In fact, now that I think about it, the situations are fairly analogous. The main reason we mandate vaccines is less to protect the individual kid whose parents don't like vaccines, and more because of public safety (herd immunity).

edit: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2014/04/the-road-to-self-driving-cars/index.htm

quote:

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has seen a 7 percent reduction in crashes for vehicles with a basic forward-collision warning system, and a 14 to 15 percent reduction for those with automatic braking.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 12, 2016

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

That's because "autonomous cars will/won't happen within our lifetime" and "we should have better public transportation" are completely separate arguments that have no relationship to each other. Human driven cars and public transportation already fill the same roles. Autonomous cars, if they ever exist, would fill the same demand that exists for personal transportation. If you can convince people to take the bus instead of an autonomous car then you can convince them to take the bus instead of their regular ol' manually driven car too.

I mean, you won't get any argument from me that public transportation is and always will be the better option. That has nothing to do with feasibility or likelihood of autonomous cars, though.
I disagree. A number of the arguments for self driving cars have to do with efficiency, as in "think how much we could lower congestion on the freeways in rush hour if all the cars could communicate and computers could pack them in 3 inches from each other". This is directly a moving lots of people efficiently question, and one we could address with public transportation. The safety angle is another, although again, I'm confident the deaths/injuries per million miles traveled for rail, buses, etc is probably lower than personal cars. The only reason self driving cars make sense is that we have already invested so much in turning America into a personal auto country that its probably too late to turn back now.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Cicero posted:

What? To anti-vaxxers, mandating vaccines definitely takes away your 'freedom'. In fact, now that I think about it, the situations are fairly analogous. The main reason we mandate vaccines is less to protect the individual kid whose parents don't like vaccines, and more because of public safety (herd immunity).
Yes, but we can all see that vaccines are safe, cheap, and we have had generations now worth of public health benefits. Automated cars not only have to prove all of those, but personal, human driven vehicles have spent the last century becoming an ingrained pillar of the American consciousness, right up there with guns, free speech and our right to get rip roaring drunk. The two are actually very much not alike.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

cheese posted:

I disagree. A number of the arguments for self driving cars have to do with efficiency, as in "think how much we could lower congestion on the freeways in rush hour if all the cars could communicate and computers could pack them in 3 inches from each other".
Different people have different reasons for supporting self-driving cars. For me, the biggest reason is safety: I bike a lot, and would very much like cars to stop hitting me (happened twice last year), and I don't mind trampling over someone's FREEEEEEDOOOOOOOOM on public roads to get that, as long as we can do it in a compassionate and sensible way.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Cicero posted:

Level 3 says that

Untraining people how to drive and then forcing them to take control again in more hazardous conditions sounds like a very bad idea.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

cheese posted:

I disagree. A number of the arguments for self driving cars have to do with efficiency, as in "think how much we could lower congestion on the freeways in rush hour if all the cars could communicate and computers could pack them in 3 inches from each other". This is directly a moving lots of people efficiently question, and one we could address with public transportation. The safety angle is another, although again, I'm confident the deaths/injuries per million miles traveled for rail, buses, etc is probably lower than personal cars. The only reason self driving cars make sense is that we have already invested so much in turning America into a personal auto country that its probably too late to turn back now.

You're missing the point, though. People in these threads are almost always talking about the feasibility of autonomous cars, or why manufacturers and ultimately consumers might choose them over manually driven cars. Getting people onto public transportation is about killing off the demand for personal transportation, and if you can't do that with manually driven cars (where public transportation already offers the benefit of not actually having to drive), then you'll never be able to do it with autonomous ones.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Paradoxish posted:

Simple things like knowledge of intentions (ie, "I'm braking and intend to slow down to at least [x] miles per hour") would drastically improve the efficiency of highway traffic.

What if the autonomous car lies to you about its intentions?

ReidRansom posted:

Untraining people how to drive and then forcing them to take control again in more hazardous conditions sounds like a very bad idea.

This has been observed in airplane pilots: http://www.newyorker.com/science/maria-konnikova/hazards-automation

quote:

...[A] new study published by Casner and Schooler in Human Factors reveals that automation has also caused some pilots’ skills to atrophy. In the experiment, a group of sixteen pilots, each with approximately eighteen thousand hours of flight time, were asked to fly in a Boeing 747-400 simulator. As the simulated flights progressed, the researchers systematically varied the levels of automation in use. At some point in the flight, they would disable the alert system without advising their subjects and introduce errors into the instrument indicators. Casner and Schooler wanted to see if the pilots would notice, and, if so, what they would do.

Surprisingly, the pilots’ technical skills, notably their ability to scan instruments and operate manual controls, had remained largely intact. These were the skills that pilots and industry experts had been most concerned about losing, but it seemed that flying an airplane was much like riding a bike. The pilots’ ability to make complex cognitive decisions, however—what Casner calls their “manual thinking” skills—had suffered a palpable hit. They were less able to visualize their plane’s position, to decide what navigational step should come next, and to diagnose abnormal situations. “The things you do with your hands are good,” Casner told me. “It’s the things you do with your mind and brain that we really need to practice.”

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

ReidRansom posted:

True, I was thinking it'd be more like, "maybe don't be driving on the road during the white-out blizzard".

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Cicero posted:

True, I was thinking it'd be more like, "maybe don't be driving on the road during the white-out blizzard".

Dumbasses already think snow tires, 4WD and ABS make them invulnerable to winter weather. I can only imagine the false sense of security you'll inevitably see with automated cars in bad weather.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to see what happens if a self-driving car network gets in a crash environment, and Car A, which has one 45 year old tech guy in it, is on a direct collision course with Car B, which has a young black family of four in it, and as they're hurtling towards each other, both cars determine, and share information, that an incident is completely inevitable, and that a head on collision will result in a 60% chance of survival for each occupant of each car, but Car A veering wildly out of the way provides a 99% chance of survival for the family in Car B, but only a 20% chance of survival for the guy in Car A, so car A veers out of the way, killing it's passenger, but saving the lives of the young family.

Basically I want to know is who will be gauche enough to be the first company to offer a software package that more highly prioritizes your life than the lives of other people on the roads, and once that happens, who will hack it so that your car broadcasts itself with the human life value of a full school bus.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

All cars should be programmed to favor other drivers' lives over their owners, except for special "rear end in a top hat Edition" cars that cost more and must be specially labelled for extra keyability.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Cicero posted:

Yeah, I'm suggesting that Congress might just ban them anyway, even with many still on the road. You would need some level of critical mass of existing self-driving cars before they would so, of course. A couple decades from now sounds about right.

Or maybe a somewhat more palatable solution would be increasingly heavy manually-driven car surcharges, with one-time subsidies for (poor) people upgrading from manually-driven cars to self-driving ones.

I don't know what you're smoking, but you need to loving share. An outright ban on manually operated cars would be absurdly destructive to the economy, and your other 'solution' is the most laughably regressive plan I could come up with short of legalizing feudal style indenture for the poor.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
certainly, in the next ten years, we will see legistlature come into play to begin the process of banning manually driven cars, despite the fact that it's still completely legal to ride a drat horse down the street.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

I don't know what you're smoking, but you need to loving share. An outright ban on manually operated cars would be absurdly destructive to the economy,
Why?

quote:

and your other 'solution' is the most laughably regressive plan I could come up with short of legalizing feudal style indenture for the poor.
Yes, that's why I mentioned subsidies for the poor.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Bushiz posted:

certainly, in the next ten years, we will see legistlature come into play to begin the process of banning manually driven cars
I never said within the decade. Try reading.

quote:

despite the fact that it's still completely legal to ride a drat horse down the street.
I dunno, did horses kill tens of thousands of people each year, and was there a practical alternative to horses that was drastically less dangerous to others? IIRC when they were introduced, cars were much more dangerous, not less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Cicero posted:

I dunno, did horses kill tens of thousands of people each year, and was there a practical alternative to horses that was drastically less dangerous to others? IIRC when they were introduced, cars were much more dangerous, not less.

Yes and the car.