Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I once played Dark souls on PC, but my only controller would blue screen my computer constantly

now that i have a stream controller I should go back and try it and see if I might like dark souls III

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

The US servers went up a few hours ago.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

So, the thing about Faith is that the Lightning Spear-type miracles don't work the way everyone thought they did. If you use them at range, like you would in the past two Souls games, they're insultingly weak for their FP cost. Just so bad. But their damage scales based on your proximity to the target, and if you're point-blank, they're very strong. They also have hyperarmor on their casting animation (and you can get more with the talisman weapon art) and cast much more quickly than DS1/2.

Basically, miracles are now fully melee-magic. Lightning Spears have range and you can use them for pulling or punishing Estus chugging in PvP, but the real damage comes in when you slam a Sunlight Spear directly into someone's face. People didn't get that at first (and also didn't know that magic soft-caps at 60 instead of 40 this time), which is why there was a lot of "magic is broken and scaling does nothing" a couple of weeks ago. (Also, much like DS1, catalysts/talismans have varying ratios of base magic adjust to scaling that can mean that the best talisman for you to use at 35 Faith probably isn't the same as the best one for you to use at 55 Faith.)

Ohh, I see. So magic is the longer range stuff (Soul Greatsword aside), pyro is a grab-bag, and miracles are close-range? That's pretty cool actually. I'm definitely going to try battlemage again then. Thanks for the info!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

In general terms, are there fun utility pyromancies? DS2 had a few (warmth, flash sweat, fire weapon), but utility stuff has always mainly been Sorc. and Miracles. I've been hoping that they gave pyromancy some stuff to do that's not just damage.

Rapport is back and is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8hPBCkhBzk

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Man planning out a Souls character is always daunting. What are the most fun weapons in this game? Does dex actually get anything good?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Ohh, I see. So magic is the longer range stuff (Soul Greatsword aside), pyro is a grab-bag, and miracles are close-range? That's pretty cool actually. I'm definitely going to try battlemage again then. Thanks for the info!

Yup! Sorcery is long-range and mostly single-target (with a few, flashy exceptions), with a couple of close-range panic buttons. Pyromancy brings AoEs and slightly shorter range (again, with a few, flashy exceptions), along with the Combustion melee-range spell and one more extremely cool melee spell. Faith is purely melee-range, with the option to go long-range if you absolutely have to, but that isn't its ideal range.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Can't wait to get the claymore and murder poo poo with my old reliable starter build. 5h36m

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
So how does upgrading work now? Does each upgrade path have it's own titanite type or is it mostly regular titanite with the occasional twinkling like in DSII? And are there embers you must find before you can start infusions?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

CJ posted:

It gives you 1000 points for Bamco's lovely loyalty scheme. You can redeem it for dumb anime poo poo like a one piece pint glass. If you don't want it send it to me so i can see if you can stack codes from the same game.

check your PMs.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So how is this game different from previous souls games

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

So how does upgrading work now? Does each upgrade path have it's own titanite type or is it mostly regular titanite with the occasional twinkling like in DSII? And are there embers you must find before you can start infusions?

All the same titanite for normal/infused weapons. Titanite Scales are the new Dragon Scales and Twinkling Titanite is back, though all weapons require a Titanite Slab for the final upgrade, regardless of what they took before.

There are embers again, too, though they're called Coals now. Each one unlocks a few upgrade paths.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Calaveron posted:

I don't think you have to upgrade armor any more!!!!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

There are three types of weapons. Standard which upgrade with regular types of titanite, unique which upgrade with twinkling, and boss which upgrade with titanite scales. You use a titanite slab for the final upgrade for each type. Only standard weapons can be infused and infusion is done by using a single gem, one for each upgrade path. They are consumable and fixed ones are finite, but are also farmable. You have a few paths at the start, the rest of unlocked by giving the blacksmith various "coals."

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Dark Souls 3 is a third person cover shooter with a randomized loot mechanic. From Software is giving the people what they want.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Does estus work like in ds1 or 2 or does healing suck balls like in bloodborne

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

I don't think you have to upgrade armor any more!!!!

Correct, armor upgrading is gone, which I'm very happy about.

Calaveron posted:

Does estus work like in ds1 or 2 or does healing suck balls like in bloodborne

Estus Flask is back, refills at bonfires, you chug it quick like in DS1.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

If being summoned fails, you automatically replace your summon sign and don't have to do it manually. Very nice QoL improvement.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I'm gonna go thief/Pyro and probably die a whole bunch. It'll be awesome.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Are the wood carvings back or is this a 0/10 game? :v:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Megasabin posted:

Man planning out a Souls character is always daunting. What are the most fun weapons in this game? Does dex actually get anything good?

I'm spreadsheeting at work instead of doing work (not really but one window is open to my own metagaming spreadsheet), so I feel you.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Are the wood carvings back or is this a 0/10 game? :v:

They are back. You get them from the crows.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Harrow posted:

Estus Flask is back, refills at bonfires, you chug it quick like in DS1.

So is it like Bloodborne where armors are more or less the same in terms of stats so there's no excuse for not being fashionable, or are there still significant defence tiers like the other games?

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Got it pre-loaded and installed DS4Windows in preparation!

Really hoping someone releases a graphics mod that changes the buttons to a Dualshock 4 soon. I can live without it, but it would be really handy since the Playstation controller has been my preference for the Souls games.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Genocyber posted:

You use a titanite slab for the final upgrade for each type.

Whoa didn't realize this. Hopefully there are a lot of slabs to go around. My standard arsenal is one reg weapon, one unique and one boss to make full use of all upgrade materials.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

So is it like Bloodborne where armors are more or less the same in terms of stats so there's no excuse for not being fashionable, or are there still significant defence tiers like the other games?

I'm told defense is pretty noticeable, but armor with high defense tends to be really heavy, too. Damage absorption seems to be percentage-based, so armor that's good at the start will still be good at the end.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

voltron lion force posted:

Whoa didn't realize this. Hopefully there are a lot of slabs to go around. My standard arsenal is one reg weapon, one unique and one boss to make full use of all upgrade materials.

I think there's like 6 or 7 guaranteed, no idea if they're farmable.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

They are back. You get them from the crows.

Ok good the game remains a 10/10 then

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

So is the 3 weapon slot, 4 ring slot thing from DS2 back?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Yes.

Also covenants are their own slot and don't take up ring slots.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Yes. There's also an extra fifth ring slot just for covenant rings. You can switch covenants just by switching rings, any time you want, no NPC visits or sin absolution required.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

There doesn't seem to be much point in going dex/pyro at all :( Oh well, full pyro chaos weapon playthrough next time then.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I haven't been this excited about a game since Bloodbourne, time to time warp.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Whoa, new thread, already 11 pages. Does anyone know yet if the physical PS4 version will require any immediate patching out of the box? My internet is absolutely terrible where I live currently and am really hoping I don't have to give up an afternoon waiting for a huge 2-300MB patch to be able to play online tomorrow.

Sleazoid
Nov 13, 2007

Harrow posted:

I wanted to know this myself. I got Bloodborne about 2 weeks ago to make the DS3 wait tolerable and I really liked it. Thought for sure they wouldn't keep that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

There doesn't seem to be much point in going dex/pyro at all :( Oh well, full pyro chaos weapon playthrough next time then.

I'm gonna do it at some point. Something like 40 Dex/25 Int/25 Faith, use a Carthus Curved Greatsword buffed with Carthus Flame Arc. I just want to go full Carthus, really.

Going actual dex/pyro is basically for buffing and occasionally throwing fire spells around. It also helps because it gets you really fast casting speed without having to use a ring slot on the faster casting ring. But you can also be really strong by infusing a weapon with Chaos and going full pyro.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

I'm gonna do it at some point. Something like 40 Dex/25 Int/25 Faith, use a Carthus Curved Greatsword buffed with Carthus Flame Arc. I just want to go full Carthus, really.

Going actual dex/pyro is basically for buffing and occasionally throwing fire spells around. It also helps because it gets you really fast casting speed without having to use a ring slot on the faster casting ring. But you can also be really strong by infusing a weapon with Chaos and going full pyro.

Seems like casting speed from dex is kind of worthless since the speed boosting ring puts cast speed near the cap, equivalent to ~40 points of dex.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I was planning on going for a nice long walk to clear my head of DS3 hype after work and waste some time but it's raining its loving rear end off :negative:

I am trying to brace myself for the inevitability of my crappy GPU rejecting its feeble existence when faced with the majesty that is DS3, what's a reasonbly priced (or at least not overpriced bleeding edge) graphics card that will do the game justice?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

RabidWeasel posted:

I am trying to brace myself for the inevitability of my crappy GPU rejecting its feeble existence when faced with the majesty that is DS3, what's a reasonbly priced (or at least not overpriced bleeding edge) graphics card that will do the game justice?

buy a 960

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
How is the world layout? Is it all interconnected like DaS? Or just multiple non-interconnecting paths like DaSII?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Seems like casting speed from dex is kind of worthless since the speed boosting ring puts cast speed near the cap, equivalent to ~40 points of dex.

I heard that you need 25 Dex + the ring to get max casting speed. Whether that's noticeable compared to like... 18 Dex + the ring is another question entirely.

Either way, when I do make a Dex/Pyro hybrid, it'll mostly be for buffing a curved sword that'll be, on its own, stronger than a raw weapon. Chaos is probably more efficient, but a Carthus Pyromancer build would be as much for cool points as for power. And 25/25 with the three pyro rings should be plenty strong anyway. Probably have to sacrifice a bit on Vigor (30 + Prisoner's Chain) to get there, but that's okay--the difference between 35 Vigor and 40 Vigor is like 50 HP, I'll deal.