Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

OvineYeast posted:

He's right though, I do.

I quite like JK Rowling, and she's got a few pennies.

1951 - The first nuclear power plant is built by the US Atomic Energy Commission.
This is bad for Jeremy Corbyn, age 2

Renfield fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

On one hand, this if great. On the other, this country is run by a loving playground.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Anyway, I know, "haha tax returns" is fun & all but this seems to have been lost in the irrelevant poo poo.

Prince John posted:

Just in case you weren't depressed enough already: link.

I feel physically sick reading this. It's all fine & well laughing at Pigfucker & Corbyn's messy office making him unsuitable to lead this nation, unlike people who want to sell everything the state owns to their chums from public school, that spotty lad who used to be your fag and now runs a hedge fund he inherited from daddy. But Jesus loving Christ. How rotten is this country?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's not so much 'haha tax returns' as 'oh good some negative press about the Tories' and maybe opening a few people's eyes to the gulf between their rhetoric and their real priorities. We get all the stories about how policy X is actually terrible and costs money and is only harming people, but nothing comes of it. If it takes a tax haven scandal and Dennis Skinner shouting in Cameron's face to have any real impact, I'll take it

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Holy loving poo poo.

We have reached maximum impoliteness the tea is gone gentlemen

THE TEA IS GONE FOREVER FROM THIS TEA TRAY WE CALL DECENCY

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think HMRC advertise themselves as a data storage service unless you know better?

They store your tax returns.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Junior G-man posted:

International development and the politics envy:

quote:

Sir Alan Duncan, the Conservative former international development minister, says Cameron’s critics just hate people who are wealthy.

What a complete poo poo.
I don't hate people who are wealthy, I just hate people who have hair like Mr. Whippy because they're never good people.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think HMRC advertise themselves as a data storage service unless you know better?

lol yeah HMRC shouldn't bother to store anyone's tax returns, just destroy them all after they've been posted out.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps thinks the Data Protection Act only applies to individual bytes.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

People submitting a summary of the contents of their tax return rather than an actual copy may be doing it so no-one sees this section. Specifically, box 19 on page 4.

Also worth noting that they could all be lying and publishing fake tax returns, and the rules on taxpayer confidentiality mean HMRC couldn't tell the public this.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I am planning on not paying tax in the UK after May

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
George Osbourne could quit work tomorrow and still earn more money than Jeremy Corbyn. Hell, he'd still be in the 1%.
And right now he earns more pre-tax than most people earn in an entire year, per month.

Yep, I sure feel represented.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lord of the Llamas posted:

They store your tax returns.

OK, but I don't think HMRC advertise themselves as a data storage service unless you know better?

JFairfax posted:

lol yeah HMRC shouldn't bother to store anyone's tax returns, just destroy them all after they've been posted out.

You're not the only poster here who doesn't think maintaining financial records is important.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
no but they keep copies of your tax records, because they're also their records

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

no but they keep copies of your tax records, because they're also their records

Yes this is correct.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
And so we enter the pedantry stage of a Pissflaps argument, the most tedious of all phases.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Fans posted:

And so we enter the pedantry stage of a Pissflaps argument, the most tedious of all phases.

What do you think I'm being pedantic about?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Semprini posted:

People submitting a summary of the contents of their tax return rather than an actual copy may be doing it so no-one sees this section. Specifically, box 19 on page 4.

Also worth noting that they could all be lying and publishing fake tax returns, and the rules on taxpayer confidentiality mean HMRC couldn't tell the public this.

Baaaahahaahaaa what the gently caress the tax return has a specific section for tax avoidance schemes. It even uses the word 'schemes'.

What the actual gently caress

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I suppose it's a bit like the ash trays in the bathroom of airplanes. If you're gonna do it at least have the decency to put your ash/details of your tax avoidance here :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
‘Data’ includes data which is not electronic data and any information (whether or not electronic).

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Between Corbyn's office and his handwriting I'm really glad to see he's actually a scruffy, shambolic git and not just a show for the cameras like Boris.

I always feel like Cameron isn't allowed to take a poo poo without aide approval because the force of straining might make his red complexion all the more rosy.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yeah that's good to see.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Firos posted:

I suppose it's a bit like the ash trays in the bathroom of airplanes. If you're gonna do it at least have the decency to put your ash/details of your tax avoidance here :v:

Well, is lying on that form a crime?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I do wonder how "normal people" will feel when they see these and realise that Osbourne and Cameron are cutting their own taxes. I mean a lot of people will know that already but it's another thing to have it confirmed in the print media.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

OK, but I don't think HMRC advertise themselves as a data storage service unless you know better?

What's that got to do with anything?

The point is that HMRC retains this data. Therefore it's not unreasonable for someone with dull financial affairs to not worry about it.

I do my self assessment online and I certainly don't "retain" a copy myself.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

^^ Yes. (@Hieronymous Alloy)

thespaceinvader posted:

Baaaahahaahaaa what the gently caress the tax return has a specific section for tax avoidance schemes. It even uses the word 'schemes'.

What the actual gently caress

I can see how it looks amusing at first glance, but this was something of a game changer in disclosure and shifted the balance of power a bit in favour of HMRC.

Previously, you just submitted your return (which actually contains little of actual use to the taxman in tracking down comedy schemes) - the onus was on HMRC to know to open an enquiry and this was pretty difficult for them.

Following the introduction of DOTAS (disclosure of tax avoidance schemes), HMRC have a massive list of schemes that produce a 'tax advantage' (note: this is for legal avoidance, not evasion) with various characteristics ('hallmarks'). A legal duty now exists for the scheme promoter to notify HMRC that they are selling the scheme, they get a reference number from HMRC, and the taxpayer now has a legal duty to fill in the appropriate box if they're involved in such a scheme.

It's effectively an "I'm being aggressive, please look at my tax affairs closely" flag, that makes it much easier for HMRC to concentrate on the right people and link tax returns from random people to firms promoting tax avoidance schemes. This way, they can bust a practice, and easily scoop up all their customers.

Edit:

Taear posted:

I do wonder how "normal people" will feel when they see these and realise that Osbourne and Cameron are cutting their own taxes. I mean a lot of people will know that already but it's another thing to have it confirmed in the print media.

Not that I'm not enjoying watching Piggy squirm, but there's basically no evidence he's done any tax avoidance worth the name, albeit that's not what the papers are saying. He actually voluntarily paid extra tax from 2010-2015 by not claiming the 'prime ministerial expenses deduction' of £20k.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 11, 2016

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

What's that got to do with anything?

You compared HMRC to email service providers, suggesting it's hypocritical to not store data solely with the former if I'm prepared to do so with the latter.

The comparison doesn't work because only the latter would promote themselves as a data storage service.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

JFairfax posted:

I am planning on not paying tax in the UK after May

I've already stopped, and here I get a 30% discount just for being a foreigner. It's good, I highly recommend leaving the country to everyone. Don't come here though, we're full.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.facebook.com/Channel4News/videos/10153675036026939/

this is bad for corbyn

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

You compared HMRC to email service providers, suggesting it's hypocritical to not store data solely with the former if I'm prepared to do so with the latter.

The comparison doesn't work because only the latter would promote themselves as a data storage service.

No they don't? Google expressly doesn't accept liability for losing data in Gmail in its T&Cs.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, P19 looks like pig! That took me a while

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

No they don't? Google expressly doesn't accept liability for losing data in Gmail in its T&Cs.

Ford don't guarantee your car will never break so I guess they're not a car company either.

Jesus loving christ. You people.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
what do you mean, you people

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

JFairfax posted:

what do you mean, you people

Papists.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
google are not a data storage company, not like iron mountain are

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

It's like you're made by Microsoft with the way you Project.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

Google doesn't offer data storage services. I see.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

JFairfax posted:

Iron Mountain, occasionally known as Fire Mountain.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

Ford don't guarantee your car will never break so I guess they're not a car company either.

You're the idiot who doesn't accept that there's a reasonable expectation that HMRC will retain tax records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

You're the idiot who doesn't accept that there's a reasonable expectation that HMRC will retain tax records.

I'm certain they do. Just not on behalf of those submitting them. Not bothering to keep your own copies of important documents is loving stupid.

• Locked thread