Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What was there to like in Batman and Robin? Arnold? He actually did great.

Yup, I also liked Bane's design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm pretty sure the last movie I saw in 3d was Drive Angry.

e: no wait it was Guardians in Imax 3d.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I think that footage was for the MTV Awards right? I'd be shocked if it wasn't clipped together for time. Even for a Marvel movie that editing is janky.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Captain America sure fights near cars a lot.

Also, I liked that clip.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Guy A. Person posted:

Bleh there are some really odd shot choices and editing in that first part. Like you have Cap falling out of a jet and smashing a dude into a car but they choose a really odd angle looking through the car at the dude's back(?). Then the idea of him beaning the guy and catching the shield through another car window is cool but it's done in a really undynamic way.

Not filling me with a ton of confidence at the moment.

Yeah seriously. Eventually one of these movies is going to be filmed entirely through POV shots of someone in (or who is) a car.

The guys just arent good action directors. What you get is the occasional nice action beat - Steve kicking the truck so hard that it sends the guy flying is very District 9 - that cuts away too fast and is mixed in with a flurry of stuff that aint so great. Kicking the truck is how you punctuate or end a scene, not how you start it. Everything has the same amount of emphasis. There's no rise and fall in the action.

It's also very unclear where Falcon is when he zooms around and does his spin-kick thing on the roof. It's that Avengers issue where the putties just randomly appear in shots in order to serve as fodder for poses. Wouldn't the guys on the roof and in the building notice the gunfire only a few metres away?

When Falco clotheslines that guy, the body disappears in the next shot. The people on the roof also disappear.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 11, 2016

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Basebf555 posted:

Can I blame IMAX in any way for the various aspect ratios Nolan used for Interstellar? I find that to be jarring when I watch it on Blu ray.

Blame the fimmmakers for this obnoxious choice of inconsistent IMAX use.

I think BvS and MI: Ghost Protocol have had the best use of IMAX simply because they film entire sequences in IMAX and not shots. TDKR had some long sequences in IMAX but Nolan films always use it so sporadically it becomes visually annoying, especially when 35mm looks like complete rear end when blown up with the IMAX DRM technology.

Civil War has a 15min IMAX sequence shot on the new Arri digital IMAX cameras so Im really looking forward to seeing that in action. And I believe the entirety of IW 1 and 2 will be IMAX, which is crazy awesome.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo WHAT.

Yeah, it's ultra-low-budget, too, something in the neighborhood of $5 million.

If only Z'Dar were still around to see it. He was such a nice, kind-hearted dude.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I really like Cap's signature move being a front dropkick.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

John Hyams is currently doing Maniac Cop with Ed Brubaker and Nicholas Winding Refn and I don't want anything to pull any of them away from that, but yeah.

That is going to be so drat sick.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Apparently, this is the first minute of action from Avengers 2.5: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x43hv18_captain-america-civil-war-official-movie-clip-1-hd_shortfilms

The editing is annoying me.

I like Cap's shield bouncing around/through the truck, and it seems to re-enter the frame at the "right" spot, but something feels weird about it like most of the action. Maybe it's because you don't see Cap start moving to the side when he throws it? Maybe it should cut to Cap's final position earlier in the bounce.

The sense of the impact of all these super-powered kicks and punches is well done, though.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

weekly font posted:

I think that footage was for the MTV Awards right? I'd be shocked if it wasn't clipped together for time. Even for a Marvel movie that editing is janky.

Hoping for this. It obviously won't fix some of the shot choices but it will hopefully have better flow and continuity.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The guys just arent good action directors.

I disagree with you a bit. Russos are good directors of regular fisticuffs type of stuff. Cap vs. Baltrac or the elevator fight was good. The more epic they try to make it, the worse it gets IMO.

Consider Civil War's big action highlight is a big group of superheroes facing off, I'm nervous. But then again the Marvel CGI team saved Joss Whedon on the Avengers so...

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The only thing that looked off to me in that footage was the cut from Falcon's three point landing to him suddenly standing. I feel like no editor should ever allow a cut like that. It does feel edited down to be kind of a sizzle reel but I guess we'll find out in a month. Otherwise the action looked good and I like the practical wire stunt work. Looking for continuity errors is boring and isn't really criticism.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

These are pretty much consecutive shots.

Steve vanishes for most of the sequence, then reappears in the bottom left there.

Red Witch flies out of the sunrise to enter the scene, and while sun is setting in these shots above.

Colonel Whitey posted:

The only thing that looked off to me in that footage was the cut from Falcon's three point landing to him suddenly standing. I feel like no editor should ever allow a cut like that. It does feel edited down to be kind of a sizzle reel but I guess we'll find out in a month. Otherwise the action looked good and I like the practical wire stunt work. Looking for continuity errors is boring and isn't really criticism.

I understand that, but I'm not looking for errors. This is like Michael Bay levels of 'gently caress continuity'. Like, it's to the point that you have to consider the lack of continuity part of the style - like how, in the celebrated Winter Soldier knife fight, some shots are taking place on a rainy day, while others show a sunny afternoon.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Consider Civil War's big action highlight is a big group of superheroes facing off, I'm nervous. But then again the Marvel CGI team saved Joss Whedon on the Avengers so...

That scene has gotten pretty much universal praise as one of, if not the best superhero fight scenes ever, so I wouldn't worry about it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

That scene has gotten pretty much universal praise as one of, if not the best superhero fight scenes ever, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm very hesitant to believe that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

John Hyams is currently doing Maniac Cop with Ed Brubaker and Nicholas Winding Refn and I don't want anything to pull any of them away from that, but yeah.

I completely forgot about this, has there been any news since the announcement?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MacheteZombie posted:

It's pre-release screening reactions so I don't see why it's unbelievable. Remember even BvS was supposed to be "superior to The Dark Knight" going by the pre-release screening hype. Man of Steel was "THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE EVER MADE!!!," Age of Ultron posed serious questions about the nature of man and featured incredible action, and so on. Not saying those are the worst movies ever made or Civil War will be bad but just that unless a MC/DCU movie is a legit total historically bad in all ways Manos: The Hands of Fate caliber disaster film the pre-release word will always be super positive.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Codependent Poster posted:

The First Impressions Of Avengers: Age Of Ultron Are Out: Surprise, Everyone Loves It.

"#AgeOfUltron might be the most true to the comic movie ever. So many images taken right off the page that made me faint with joy. ... Thor is hilarious and Scarlet Witch kicks so much rear end."
-Alex Zalben (works for Marvel Comics)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah, the question there is 'by what metric?'

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Not saying those are the worst movies ever made or Civil War will be bad but just that unless a MC/DCU movie is a legit total historically bad in all ways Manos: The Hands of Fate caliber disaster film the pre-release word will always be super positive.
Even then it's gonna be "already on the road to becoming a cult classic."

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I wish these Russo movies didn't look like television because they seem cool otherwise

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Natalie Portman will not be in Thor 3.

http://www.newsarama.com/28780-report-new-thor-love-interest-cast-for-ragnarok-kind-of-a-superhero.html

Replaced instead by the not very talented Tessa Thompson, most recently seen in Creed.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
That clip was chopped up for the MTV awards.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
loving lol at the idea that Tessa Thompson isn't talented, between Creed and Dear White People

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DrVenkman posted:

There's enough plot continuity that I don't see where anything would have been cut out.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Batman Forever is actually good I think. A waste of Two Face and Tommy Lee Jones but overall it's not bad. I think it's way better than Batman Returns to be honest. Returns has like 15 total minutes of Batman and it's mostly just the fights.

Yeah it's a real classic. Like the scene where Batman pulls out a Batman MasterCard with the good through date being "forever"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Rhyno posted:

Replaced instead by the not very talented Tessa Thompson

UMMMM

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Doesn't fix the shot choices/angles.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

These were critic screenings and not fan ones. So that comparison doesn't work. Also, it doesn't speak to a specific scene, so you're comparing apples to oranges.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jenny Angel posted:

loving lol at the idea that Tessa Thompson isn't talented, between Creed and Dear White People

She was a bore in Creed and I haven't seen DWP. Not that Portman was any better in Thor.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rhyno posted:

She was a bore in Creed and I haven't seen DWP. Not that Portman was any better in Thor.

SMDH Rhyno.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

Suicide Squad trailer is baller. I like these snippets of Robbie-Quinn wayyyyyy better. Bartending scene looks great.
Her Australian accent leaks constantly and it's incredibly distracting.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zombie Boat posted:

Yeah it's a real classic. Like the scene where Batman pulls out a Batman MasterCard with the good through date being "forever"

That's in Batman & Robin, when they're competing with each other for the night with Poison Ivy.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Jesus, man

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't quite get the hate for Age of Ultron when Avengers is right there, being even worse.
Pretty much everyone thought it was amazing, some LOTR-scale monumental achievement by Whedon, hence the 92% RT score.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Apparently, this is the first minute of action from Avengers 2.5: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x43hv18_captain-america-civil-war-official-movie-clip-1-hd_shortfilms

The editing is annoying me.

This most likely won't be how it's edited. Clips like this are usually cut down by half. Which results in super jarring edits.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Cap 2, which I like a good bit, was good when the action was close range, or on the scale of maybe a dozen dudes involved at once doing mostly humanity possible things. Every time it went for big CGI setpieces that were supposed to be spectacular it was kinda just... bad.
Seriously, everyone raves about the helicarrier sequence but it just fell flat and hollow to me.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
How long until people start getting mad at either:

1) Thor dating a black woman

or

2) Her blackness not being emphasized and is therefore whitewashing.

Also, not sure if it makes it better or worse, but apparently that Civil War clip was condensed to exactly 1 minute from a 1:41 second series of scenes from the film for the MTV movie awards.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

Pretty much everyone thought it was amazing, some LOTR-scale monumental achievement by Whedon, hence the 92% RT score.

The goalposts for superhero movies are so weird and lowballed, to paraphrase SMG, I sometimes wonder if the folks who indulge in this kind of faint praise even like superhero comics. E.g. when I made some posts lightly criticizing the fight choreography in Deadpool compared to action comedy masters like Chan/Hung and Wright or low budget brutality masters like Evans/Uwais and the response centered on, "Yeah, but for a superhero movie . . ."

That's a milder example because there definitely was plenty of nonstandard stuff worth calling out in Deadpool, and I was more focusing on how its weaker points lined up with what I was most interested in seeing done well. But with the original Avengers it was full bore, with all sorts of praise for fundamentally basic poo poo like "juggling an ensemble cast" and "showing up with its shoelaces tied"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Josh Lyman posted:

Seriously, everyone raves about the helicarrier sequence but it just fell flat and hollow to me.

The air goes out of the movie after the knife fight with Winter Soldier. You can feel the formula kick in and bodily drag the movie into mediocrity. Overall I still enjoyed it but it goes south in the third act.

• Locked thread