Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Srice posted:

1985 is a weirdly specific year to drop

He's probably referring to the fact that wing's target audience is 15 year olds and it premiered in the US in 2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kuvo posted:

He's probably referring to the fact that wing's target audience is 15 year olds and it premiered in the US in 2000

I don't think that even matters when talking about people experiencing it for the first time much more recently

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's also a roundabout way of accusing fans of only liking it due to nostalgia, which is a lame as heck accusation most of the time

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't like wing as a 14 year old because I tried to take it seriously

It wasn't until I was 20 that I really saw the magic in it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Yah it's a show that's definitely not grounded and any attempt to force it into that hole sounds like a frustrating experience

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ninjewtsu posted:

The thing with Gundam as a whole is that it can be very stupid no matter what show in the franchise you watch, except maybe G-Gundam which is actually the best Gundam that isn't named Gundam Wing. If you look too hard at UC Gundam, it falls apart just as easily as almost any non-UC Gundam show. It's just the price Gundam pays for being Gundam, with a body count that varies depending on the whims of the producers.

I feel as though Wing in particular knew full well that its story about war with giant toy advertisements was actually pretty loving dumb, and didn't care. There's allegories to things strewn throughout Wing akin to Xenogears just randumbly plastering Christian symbolism anywhere it could stick, and maybe if you took the time to look those things up, you might think to yourself "Hmm, that is an interesting analogy to (thing) I did not understand before I feel somewhat more knowledgeable now."

Or you can do the right thing, which is to experience the actual show Gundam Wing, wherein literally the worst child soldier in the history of anime child soldiers fails to kill himself like a half dozen times within the first three episodes. Also: Treize Kushrenada has the most kicking rad boots ever.

:byodame: "THOSE ARE TORPEDOES AREN'T THEY, I CAN TELL" :byodame:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking of meeting VAs though, has anyone here met Brad Swaile? He's Amuro, he's Quatre, he's Setsuna, he's Light Yagami... Dude is crazy diverse and very talented. I heard they were reluctant to give him another Gundam role but he so impressed htem auditioning for Setsuna in 00 they couldn't object.

I've met him at a con, he's a nice guy. He's actually pretty creative and he was selling his own gundam shirts at a con. I bought a gundam shirt based on da vince's virtuvian man.It has the rx-78 instead of a person.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

My favorite part of mobile suit gundam is when char betrays garma, then calls garma up to laugh at his (until now) best friend's imminent death

There's stupid stuff in gundam but tbh the stupid stuff tends to be what I enjoy most

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I don't think that part is stupid at all, Char is just so obsessed with revenge that it's not enough that he accomplished one of his goals, he wants Garma to know he did it too.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
To be fair isn't that mostly an apology?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

My favorite part of mobile suit gundam is when char betrays garma, then calls garma up to laugh at his (until now) best friend's imminent death

That isn't stupid at all, it's there to show that Char is a dangerously insane sociopath who is pretty much responsible for everything bad that happens in the Universal Century.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

That isn't stupid at all, it's there to show that Char is a dangerously insane sociopath who is pretty much responsible for everything bad that happens in the Universal Century.

Hey, hey, hey, Gihren has to be up there as well. The Titans were basically operating off his playbook.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yawgmoft posted:

To be fair isn't that mostly an apology?

I've always interpreted more like a taunt than anything else

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

fivegears4reverse posted:

Wing really does have the most amazing and hilarious dub in all of Gundam. One of the best scenes is clearly when Trowa offers Wufei some coffee, and in response Wufei non-sequiturs into some really out of place declaration, while Trowa just sorta ROLLS with it. There's absolutely no justice in just transcribing the dialogue, you have to actually listen to the acting.

I'm seeing a lot of Wufei hate around here, and while he pretty much is the biggest toolbox in the show and deserves a lot of the hate he gets, I'm convinced that the writers purposefully made him to be so inherently dislikeable that he almost wraps around into being funny and likeable. You know whenever he shows up in Wing, something fantastically dumb is about to go down or be said.

I think it also helps that he's voiced by Ted Cole, who was also the voice of Tatewaki Kuno from Ranma 1/2. The voice fits the character almost too well.

I've always meant to go find a specific scene in Wing that Scott McNeil likes to bring up, in which he voices every single character in the scene. I believe he said it was on Barge, and it was just a bunch of nameless soldiers, but he actually voices every person there.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Srice posted:

It's definitely a taunt. He's such a piece of poo poo that he has to rub it in just before Garma dies to make sure that Garma suffers as much as possible.

I love Char because he is amazingly hosed up and early UC Gundam stuff is in large part a character study of exactly how hosed up he is.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Speaking of hosed up childhoods I'm 15ish episodes into Victory and every episode so far has ended with Uso sobbing into his hands trying to deal with some hardcore PTSD

I was told this show only gets darker? :gonk:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Srice posted:

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's definitely a taunt. He's such a piece of poo poo that he has to rub it in just before Garma dies to make sure that Garma suffers as much as possible.

I love Char because he is amazingly hosed up and early UC Gundam stuff is in large part a character study of exactly how hosed up he is.

and then he goes on a bender after that because he feels bad about killing his best friend

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

muike posted:

and then he goes on a bender after that because he feels bad about killing his best friend

to be fair, wasn't it a forced bender, seeing as how he was more or less suspended from his duties in the aftermath of Garma's untimely demise? IIRC Dolze wanted to have Char executed immediately, Kycilia had other ideas.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

Hopefully IBO wont turn to poo poo in season 2 and McGillis can continue to give Char himself a run for his money in absolutely brutal betrayals.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

to be fair, wasn't it a forced bender, seeing as how he was more or less suspended from his duties in the aftermath of Garma's untimely demise? IIRC Dolze wanted to have Char executed immediately, Kycilia had other ideas.

Yeah, Char wasn't going on a bender, he'd basically been thrown out of Zeon until Kycilia decided to bring him back for her Newtype unit.

Char did legitimately seem to consider Garma a friend which is why his response to Garma's death is so incredibly hosed up. That is how Char treats his friend.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Yeah but I always liked the idea that maybe he did feel a little guilty about killing someone that trusted him and treated him as an equal even if it was a Zabi. Garma was the least "evil" of all the Zabis, but Char had to kill him anyway because it's basically the reason he's alive, to him. It's not like Char doesn't have a conscience, he's got hosed up priorities and other things, but he definitely does seem to care about people on some fundamental level. Until the end of Zeta.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Char does have human emotions but he's so hosed up he isn't really able to deal with them properly.

Garma is really his friend but he still betrays and murders him.
Lalah is his ideal and he shoves her into a weapon and makes her kill.
Sayla is his sister and he shoves gold at her and tells her to get out of the way and basically treats her like poo poo.

The Origin plays all this up which I really like. You get the real idea of how hosed up Char is that he both cares for all these people and can't stop himself from hurting them.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Still haven't seen either. Think I got put off by the Mobile Suit CG at first, then being too cheap to shell out for them.

E: You know, by the time of CCA, Char's only idea of a friend is basically Amuro, yet he still can't let things go, even as Amuro starts dismantling him and calling him a dumb rear end

muike fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 11, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muike posted:

Still haven't seen either. Think I got put off by the Mobile Suit CG at first, then being too cheap to shell out for them.

I mean the manga version in this case though if The Origin continues on track it should cover at least the Garma and Lalah parts a little.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Oh yeah I need to catch up on my Origin collection. I think I've only read the first II volumes and I have nearly all of them.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

muike posted:

Yeah but I always liked the idea that maybe he did feel a little guilty about killing someone that trusted him and treated him as an equal even if it was a Zabi. Garma was the least "evil" of all the Zabis, but Char had to kill him anyway because it's basically the reason he's alive, to him. It's not like Char doesn't have a conscience, he's got hosed up priorities and other things, but he definitely does seem to care about people on some fundamental level. Until the end of Zeta.

I don't think Char felt any real guilt over killing Garma. Dude basically spent the vast majority of his life, up to that point, trying to set up the perfect opportunities to kill off the Zabis, and failing that, ruin them so completely that they would be dead sooner rather than later. Garma might have been a cool dude (especially in Origin, where reads even nicer as a person than he did in his original appearance), but I think Char knew that some day he was gonna have to kill some Zabis, and Garma was the first he could actually get his hands on, so to speak. Hence his entire speech to Garma just before he died, he was openly acknowledging that he was doing this super hosed up thing to his supposed close friend. Emphasis on supposed. It's our first look at the sort of man Char Aznable really is.

I don't think Char ever stops caring about people, even post Zeta. He cares about people, he cares about humanity, he just is so driven by what he thinks needs to be done in order to "change things for the better" that he stops caring about the consequences of his actions. By CCA, he's already lost the single most important woman in his life to his rival, his sister has more or less disowned him, and he's become a figurehead of a movement better known for dropping colonies on billions of people rather than any space mumbo jumbo some of its personalities liked to go on about. Dudes hosed up, does hosed up things, but he's convinced this is what he's gotta do. It's what is expected of him, and at some point it becomes what he expects of himself.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kuvo posted:

Speaking of hosed up childhoods I'm 15ish episodes into Victory and every episode so far has ended with Uso sobbing into his hands trying to deal with some hardcore PTSD

Darker? Possibly not, because it's hard to fall off the floor.

Crazier? Definitely.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I thought Garma was supposed to be more of a jerk in Origins? I can't say, it's just what I've heard.

Anyway, I never liked MSG Char but I really liked him come Zeta. But I think all that is Char Azanable - or rather, all that is Casval Deikun - is seen in the episode where he goes to meet Axis Zeon to propose an alliance.

He flips the gently caress out at how Haman is using Mineva, an innocent girl who really knows nothing, to perpetuate the Zabi dynasty and therefore Zeon's disgrace. It made me go "yeah! You tell her!"

Then, later in that exact same episode, he says the worst thing he ever could have said. "I've never betrayed anyone in my entire life! Ever!" It's like they threw the "ever" in there to emphasize "holy poo poo, can you believe what he just said?" I loved Garma and hearing Char deny what he did legitimately made me mad. In an instant I went from "you go Char!" to "gently caress you, Char!"

And that, to me, epitomizes the character.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Darth Walrus posted:

Crazier? Definitely.

That's something I really love about victory. The only people left fighting are the elderly, children, and women, because all the men are dead. The only people left propelling the fighting are all loving insane, because any sane person would say, hey, let's stop this before all of humanity is wiped out. It's completely intentional that all of Zanscare, the officers, their plans, even their robots, are totally batshit

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I thought Garma was supposed to be more of a jerk in Origins? I can't say, it's just what I've heard.

Nah, I thought Garma was still OK in Origin.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think Char felt any real guilt over killing Garma. Dude basically spent the vast majority of his life, up to that point, trying to set up the perfect opportunities to kill off the Zabis, and failing that, ruin them so completely that they would be dead sooner rather than later. Garma might have been a cool dude (especially in Origin, where reads even nicer as a person than he did in his original appearance), but I think Char knew that some day he was gonna have to kill some Zabis, and Garma was the first he could actually get his hands on, so to speak. Hence his entire speech to Garma just before he died, he was openly acknowledging that he was doing this super hosed up thing to his supposed close friend. Emphasis on supposed. It's our first look at the sort of man Char Aznable really is.

I don't think Char ever stops caring about people, even post Zeta. He cares about people, he cares about humanity, he just is so driven by what he thinks needs to be done in order to "change things for the better" that he stops caring about the consequences of his actions. By CCA, he's already lost the single most important woman in his life to his rival, his sister has more or less disowned him, and he's become a figurehead of a movement better known for dropping colonies on billions of people rather than any space mumbo jumbo some of its personalities liked to go on about. Dudes hosed up, does hosed up things, but he's convinced this is what he's gotta do. It's what is expected of him, and at some point it becomes what he expects of himself.

Amuro, I'm about to do something wicked.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Garma gets more focus so you can see some of him being a childish dick at times but it also emphasizes that he's a dude in over his head and not really as maliciously evil as his family. Plus shots of babby Garma being adorable.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I love Garma in origin because the flashbacks really do emphasize how Char played him like a drat fiddle.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Garma is like the mirror opposite of Char in a lot of ways which must really burn Char's rear end hairs.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Darth Walrus posted:

Crazier? Definitely.

Swimsuit suicide squad go!

Still, It has this really bad rear end moment where everything clicks together at the end during that weird rear end final chaos.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

muike posted:

You know, by the time of CCA, Char's only idea of a friend is basically Amuro, yet he still can't let things go, even as Amuro starts dismantling him and calling him a dumb rear end

I saw someone make the point on /m/ that in Char's Counterattack Char gives Amuro the psychoframe not because he's arrogant and wants to beat him at his best, so much as because of lingering affection for Amuro from their time together in Zeta. Which I think there might be some validity to. What I can say is that in his private conversation with Nanai he basically says that while he hates Amuro he likes him too (calling those emotions two sides of the same coin) and that he's jealous of Amuro (as well as Lalah and Quess) for becoming real Newtypes and having that instant connection with others that he wants. He's probably a little jealous they became what his father envisioned while he didn't too. I imagine he knows he and Amuro could be friends and he only hates him so much because of things like that.

Char in Char's Counterattack knows that what he's doing is evil. Nanai calls it that, a greater evil than any dictator has dreamed off. He just doesn't care, because he thinks the ends (more newtypes) justifies the means (bye-bye Earth) and he's prepared to shoulder that responsibility even if no-one asked him to. Or wants him to, because he feels justified in judging humanity. I think the reason he hated Amuro so much was out of jealousy as above though, since he saw Amuro having all he wanted and thought if he could just find a real Newtype like Quess he could eventually learn compassion from them. And he hates that Amuro has that compassion and is a real Newtype in his eyes, while he himself isn't. He keeps putting the responsibility for his problems and fixing them on other people. He wanted Lalah to make him a better person. Or Quess. Instead of just making himself one, which is the only method that really works. And he had the seeds there, since he liked Amuro on some level. He just ignored them because he was too angry and too broken really.

I think he and Gyunei are the same in that, and that that's why Gyunei, Quess and Hathaway exist. They're a new triangle and tragedy to echo that in 0079, but Quess is there to be the Lalah stand in too, quite literally to Char and for him to become a better person through her. Gyunei flat out says he wants that, and that that's why he's interested in Quess. I think Char has the same motive though, and that Lalah knew it. Hence why her ghost tells Amuro that Char is pure. She knows he's just a kid looking for guidance deep down. And that Lalah was just a tool to him, same as Quess. Hence why, when he's dying he doesn't lament that Amuro killed Lalah in and of itself. He laments that he killed her because she could have been X to him. With X being a mother in this case.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 11, 2016

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Kuvo posted:

Victory... Victory is a trip. The opening is a warning, you need to stand up to the Victory, don't let it destroy it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Swimsuit suicide squad go!

Still, It has this really bad rear end moment where everything clicks together at the end during that weird rear end final chaos.

Is it
Don't worry, the Reinforce can still fight.
?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is it
?

That's probably the high point of the entire franchise, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is it
?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INA1j4S9wSU