Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeckardPain
Feb 29, 2016

For real though Quantum Break is far better than I was ever expecting.

The TV show episodes inside the game provide a great point for you to take a break after watching one and pick up still remembering what happened last time you played. The game itself also flows really well as a whole. Highly recommend picking it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Motto posted:

Videogames are bad at genres

no where as bad as music

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Motto posted:

Human beings are bad at genre classifications

FTFY

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

"with RPG elements" applies to every game now too

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jay Rust posted:

"with RPG elements" applies to every game now too

See also: crafting

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I'm really opposed to the term "character action" because not only does it not mean anything when taken at face value, it's also a bullshit category that seems to only include games people like. If there's a game that sucks it "lacks the depth" to be real character action. It's so stupid.

it's just shorthand for games where you run around as a character doing lots of combat challenges that encourage you to take as little damage as possible and to fight with flourish and fancy acrobatics

it doesn't make sense if you dissect it and base the meaning on "character" "action" but it works as a thing that people see and recognize as "oh like bayonetta/god of war/devil may cry okay"

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

FanaticalMilk posted:

I never really got this. What's so bad about sitting in your chair and playing games on a monitor?

My desk chair is pretty old now and I'd much rather chill on the couch where I got more room to lounge. Unless it's a game where keyboard and mouse is a must or the fiancee is playing a console game, I'll play it on the couch instead.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
it's like getting mad at the genre of roleplaying games since literally every game is a game where you play a role

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

it's just shorthand for games where you run around as a character doing lots of combat challenges that encourage you to take as little damage as possible and to fight with flourish and fancy acrobatics

it doesn't make sense if you dissect it and base the meaning on "character" "action" but it works as a thing that people see and recognize as "oh like bayonetta/god of war/devil may cry okay"

I don't care if I'm being the guy Lurdiak is complaining about, but gow isn't a character action game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

FirstAidKite posted:

it's like getting mad at the genre of roleplaying games since literally every game is a game where you play a role

This is a weird one though, since RPGs used to actually be all about playing roles, and as time went on the roleplaying got edged out by the stat management and progression, but the name stayed the same. So now stats and progression means roleplaying. :shrug:

Should just call then nerd games for nerds.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/CryingTiara/status/698677394844987393

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

Hack n slash and Beat me up also work, predate character action game, are more descriptive and don't bs more like a game genre.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

axleblaze posted:

Hack n slash and Beat me up also work, predate character action game, are more descriptive and don't bs more like a game genre.

yes

the terms are not mutually exclusive and there are plenty of times where a game can be described as belonging to multiple different genres

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
moba

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

axleblaze posted:

Beat 'em up makes me think of games like Streets of Rage or Final Fight.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DeckardPain posted:

For real though Quantum Break is far better than I was ever expecting.

The TV show episodes inside the game provide a great point for you to take a break after watching one and pick up still remembering what happened last time you played. The game itself also flows really well as a whole. Highly recommend picking it up.

wish you'd posted this last friday so I didn't suffer through the weekend trying to kill the ds3 hysteria with, ugh, ds2.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kamiyalike

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I guess in general I just don't like the term "character action game" because it sounds like the result of years of Internet arguing about what to call the genre until people unhappily finally settled on a clunky sterile phrase that isn't even concise to shut every one up. It's not that it doesn't describe a specific genre as much as it just sounds worse than pretty much any other term you could use to describe it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Motto posted:

Kamiyalike

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Let's start using this term I just made up, "neo-rogue"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

This is a weird one though, since RPGs used to actually be all about playing roles, and as time went on the roleplaying got edged out by the stat management and progression, but the name stayed the same. So now stats and progression means roleplaying. :shrug:

Should just call then nerd games for nerds.
RPGs grew out of tabletop wargames so this is basically the opposite of true.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jay Rust posted:

Let's start using this term I just made up, "neo-rogue"

Actually I think you'll find it's "neo-rouge"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I guess that makes thematic sense

Also, whoever coined "neo-noir", you've combined a Greek word with a French word, you weirdo

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm going to categorize "video games" as "good"

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I like that despite having completely different controls Godhand belongs in the character action genre, whereas X Blades controls like a character action game but belongs in the garbage can

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
i'm glad x-blades exists because it has a funny steam page description

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Broseph Brostar posted:

I prefer Doomkiller

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

X-Blades posted:

In X-Blades, the player takes on the role of the enchanting heroine Ayumi, who survives a breathtaking dance of blades through the Hordes of Darkness. The long-haired beautiful anime, with her pistol blades and mind-blowing leaps, whirls and swirls from one fantastic level to the next.

In brief: An anime-style, opulent hack ’n' slay spectacle for fans of entertaining action games. X-Blades creates a fantastic universe around the attractive heroine, who has to fend off innumerable monsters and imposing boss opponents with her power and tactics. A long list of all sorts of magic spells widens the range of potential forms of attack. Once Ayumi has collected enough experience points, she can activate new skills. The anime-style level design is what really gives X-Blades its special flair. Around 40 magical indoor and outdoor worlds dazzle in an enthralling rhapsody of color. Action and magical effects are impressively incorporated through the use of cinema stylistics such as bullet time or motion blurring.
Offense is the best form of defense!
Forget the competition - I'll give you all the action you'll ever need! OK... I am a treasure hunter, so my motives maybe aren't always angelic - but my "Slash Dance" through the hordes of the Dark is a thing of beauty! Innovative Gunblades and an arsenal of spectacular spells, power-ups and incredible leap combos - you have to catch the cinematic presentation of my adventures - awesome!
FEATURES:
An absorbing fantasy story with 40 spectacular landscapes
More than 25 types of magic in different classes
Learn to play easily with 4 difficulty modes AND alternative endings that depend on your actions!
Innovative Gunblades for long-range and close combat, plus new weapons and new outfits
RPG elements in the upgrading of skills and weapons, demonic special mode for the heroine (that's me!)
Hidden Power-ups and a Stats screen will hook you into exploring all the levels
Over 30 classes of opponents, plus powerful Boss opponents and an ingenious level design

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Broseph Brostar posted:

I don't care if I'm being the guy Lurdiak is complaining about, but gow isn't a character action game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jypARnYyBUI&t=45s

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Broseph Brostar posted:

It totally is. It's simpler than DMC and more QTE heavy but if you're gonna saying a DMC type of game is it's own genre, pretty muc all of it's defining features are in GoW.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Some people still confuse Fighting Games and Beat-Em-Ups and that one really gets my goat. They are distinct genres!!!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

axleblaze posted:

It totally is. It's simpler than DMC and more QTE heavy but if you're gonna saying a DMC type of game is it's own genre, pretty muc all of it's defining features are in GoW.

It's a Devil May CRygar

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
40 mins until complete internet meltdown

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It feels like election night, or oscars night, I'm v excited

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

Some people still confuse Fighting Games and Beat-Em-Ups and that one really gets my goat. They are distinct genres!!!

That's a weird one to mix up since just about everyone considers fighting games the "two people (usually) facing each other with life bars (usually) fighting 2 out of 3 rounds (usually)" genre and beat em ups are very much the Streets of Rage-types that sort of split into musou and third person action games. They're really hard to mix up since fighting games are 99.9% about player vs. player gameplay and beat em ups are 99.9% not.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Genre arguments are pretty much the dumbest thing because they confuse only people on the internet, meanwhile any 10 year old can tell the difference between a beat 'em up and a fighter or w/e.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

axleblaze posted:

I know it's a lovely distinction, but the simplicity is what prevents it from being a character action game.

The easiest way to tell the difference is to look at how you're supposed to deal with multiple enemies. If the best answer is using your attacks to wipe them out all at once then it's a hack and slash action game, whereas if you have to dodge attacks from multiple enemies and defeat them one by one then it's a character action game.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Madworld is a thpslike murder sim

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Broseph Brostar posted:

I know it's a lovely distinction, but the simplicity is what prevents it from being a character action game.

The easiest way to tell the difference is to look at how you're supposed to deal with multiple enemies. If the best answer is using your attacks to wipe them out all at once then it's a hack and slash action game, whereas if you have to dodge attacks from multiple enemies and defeat them one by one then it's a character action game.

Both of the things you described describe moments in both GoW games and DMC games so :confused:

Also if that is the defining features, then Souls games are character action game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Genre arguments are pretty much the dumbest thing because they confuse only people on the internet, meanwhile any 10 year old can tell the difference between a beat 'em up and a fighter or w/e.

Academia depends on clear definitions

• Locked thread