Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Feige announced today that Ryan Coogler is also writing Black Panther in addition to directing and that Ta-nehisi Coates' new Black Panther comic run will be a partial inspiration for it.

Edit: Feige also said that The Inhumans is likely to be pushed back about 6 months to make room for the new Spider-Man movie and Ant-Man sequel.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

MacheteZombie posted:

There's something to like in every Batman movie.

Not the weird racist serials from the forties.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
If you ever wondered how Marvel movies get written...

quote:

More details were provided by Infinity War's writers, Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely. The pair also worked on Civil War, and they revealed that much of Infinity War was mapped out during the production of that film.

"We're on set for Civil War and then as soon as they start shooting we don't have much to do for the next six hours," McFeely revealed. "We'd go to the office, read comic books, write down ideas, put everything on the wall and just go 'These are all the characters we could have.'"

"We sent in literally 60 pages of unrelated ideas," Markus added. "Just like 'Here's some stuff that could happen in this insane movie.' Then we came back from Atlanta and everyone had a copy of that [document] and they'd circle this, 'This is cool, this is insane, this is cool, we're not allowed to do that,' and from there we've pieced it together very slowly. We're in the middle of it now."

Mush a bunch of unrelated but cool ideas into a pot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm totally fine with that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Speaking of spectacle...

Every TMNT2 film makes me want to see that movie.

I have never seen a film so perfectly evoke the cartoons of old. Almost every shot in the trailer looks like a scene taken directly from the 90's cartoon. It's loving baffling.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jenny Angel posted:

The goalposts for superhero movies are so weird and lowballed, to paraphrase SMG, I sometimes wonder if the folks who indulge in this kind of faint praise even like superhero comics. E.g. when I made some posts lightly criticizing the fight choreography in Deadpool compared to action comedy masters like Chan/Hung and Wright or low budget brutality masters like Evans/Uwais and the response centered on, "Yeah, but for a superhero movie . . ."

That's a milder example because there definitely was plenty of nonstandard stuff worth calling out in Deadpool, and I was more focusing on how its weaker points lined up with what I was most interested in seeing done well. But with the original Avengers it was full bore, with all sorts of praise for fundamentally basic poo poo like "juggling an ensemble cast" and "showing up with its shoelaces tied"

A big chunk of it is that comics themselves are, largely, pretty awful. We all know the general rule that 90% of movies and whatnot are bad, but comics encourage the consumption of mediocre stuff with that whole 'canon' thing. When fans are like "wow, it's just like the comics!" you end up with a baby drowned in the bathwater, so to speak. Being 'like the comics' is not a good thing.

It'd be different if these 'fun like the comics' films were on the same level as Superman The Movie or Captain America: The First Avenger, but they simply aren't.

It's also a reaction against the camp of the 1990s - ironic films like Batman & Robin and the exaggerated, extremely stylized melodrama of Ang Lee's Hulk and the Sam Raimi Spidermans. Such style is a liability when you're trying to push the 'seriousness' of comic books along with their inconsequentiality. So what you get is a series of decaffeinated war movies, free of cinemasin.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mordiceius posted:

Speaking of spectacle...

Every TMNT2 film makes me want to see that movie.

I have never seen a film so perfectly evoke the cartoons of old. Almost every shot in the trailer looks like a scene taken directly from the 90's cartoon. It's loving baffling.

Bafflingly awesome.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The air goes out of the movie after the knife fight with Winter Soldier. You can feel the formula kick in and bodily drag the movie into mediocrity. Overall I still enjoyed it but it goes south in the third act.

yeah I think it's one of the best American action movies in recent memory, but it has the problem of ending on its weakest action sequence.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Electromax posted:

If you ever wondered how Marvel movies get written...

Mush a bunch of unrelated but cool ideas into a pot.

That's how a lot of movies are written. You come up with sequences, you figure out threads to make the sequences feel like they belong in one movie - linking it through characters or plot machinations or a larger thematic meaning, or all three if you want it to really snap together - and then you revise and revise and revise and revise and revise and revise and revise and

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

How long until people start getting mad at either:

1) Thor dating a black woman

or

2) Her blackness not being emphasized and is therefore whitewashing.

Also, not sure if it makes it better or worse, but apparently that Civil War clip was condensed to exactly 1 minute from a 1:41 second series of scenes from the film for the MTV movie awards.

Or god forbid, there is a movie with no love interest. I'm not saying romance in movies is bad or anything, but after shoehorning in Black Widow's attraction to Hulk in AoU, I'm perfectly fine with not setting up any more relationships.

Or just have Thor and Hulk fall for each other. I'll take that too.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

A big chunk of it is that comics themselves are, largely, pretty awful. We all know the general rule that 90% of movies and whatnot are bad, but comics encourage the consumption of mediocre stuff with that whole 'canon' thing. When fans are like "wow, it's just like the comics!" you end up with a baby drowned in the bathwater, so to speak. Being 'like the comics' is not a good thing.

It'd be different if these 'fun like the comics' films were on the same level as Superman The Movie or Captain America: The First Avenger, but they simply aren't.

It's also a reaction against the camp of the 1990s - ironic films like Batman & Robin and the exaggerated, extremely stylized melodrama of Ang Lee's Hulk and the Sam Raimi Spidermans. Such style is a liability when you're trying to push the 'seriousness' of comic books along with their inconsequentiality. So what you get is a series of decaffeinated war movies, free of cinemasin.

There are tons of awesome comics out there. DC, Marvel, and otherwise. Kingsmen, Kick-rear end, RED, all great. Since your argument seems to hinge on the idea that comics are bad, I am going to have to whole-heartedly disagree. However, I do believe that the people watching these movies have by-and-large never read a single comic. Hell, many writers and directors of these movies/shows seem to have never picked up a comic.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There are tons of awesome comics out there. DC, Marvel, and otherwise. Kingsmen, Kick-rear end, RED, all great. Since your argument seems to hinge on the idea that comics are bad, I am going to have to whole-heartedly disagree. However, I do believe that the people watching these movies have by-and-large never read a single comic. Hell, many writers and directors of these movies/shows seem to have never picked up a comic.
Since your argument seems to hinge on the idea that comics are good I'm going to have to whole-heartedly disagree with ever bringing up Mark Millar
like I thought you were going to be like WOW WHAT ABOUT LIKE ALAN MOORE AND TRANSMETROPOLITAN AND PERSEPOLIS AND poo poo in which case I'd be like "nah comics still kind of suck"

hence why we all know the best comic book movie was Darkman, which was never a comic book (beforehand at least)

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Since your argument seems to hinge on the idea that comics are bad, I am going to have to whole-heartedly disagree

It doesn't, he's saying that the vast majority of Comics are garbage, but that this is the case with most media forms, the difference is that comics (because of the focus on continuity & canon) encourage steady consumption of the mediocre/not-so-good stuff.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Since your argument seems to hinge on the idea that comics are good I'm going to have to whole-heartedly disagree with ever bringing up Mark Millar
like I thought you were going to be like WOW WHAT ABOUT LIKE ALAN MOORE AND TRANSMETROPOLITAN AND PERSEPOLIS AND poo poo in which case I'd be like "nah comics still kind of suck"

hence why we all know the best comic book movie was Darkman, which was never a comic book (beforehand at least)

You honestly think the 3 movies i mentioned are all bad movies? I don't spend enough time in CineD to be up to date with groupthink but I thought those were enjoyed by most.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

You honestly think the 3 movies i mentioned are all bad movies? I don't spend enough time in CineD to be up to date with groupthink but I thought those were enjoyed by most.

SMG said, like movies, most comics are bad. He didn't say there weren't good ones. And you've somehow pivoted from comics to movies between posts.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

As excited as I am for Suicide Squad, i'm a bit concerned and confused about the storyline. I feel like the trailers are not doing enough to give the basic premise behind this film. In the previous trailer we see Amanda Waller trying to sell her crazy idea to some generals over dinner, and then in this new trailer she is doing it again at the White House? Why though? And what does Superman have to do with all of this? From how the trailers talk about him, this takes place after Batman vs. Superman, so he is dead at this point. What is the anxiety that the government is having that makes them feel that these locked away villains need to be brought out to do something?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
i dont like that everyones just cool with spoiling BVS. i dont care that much about spoilers personally. but still, ppl are oddly cavalier about it

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

i dont like that everyones just cool with spoiling BVS. i dont care that much about spoilers personally. but still, ppl are oddly cavalier about it

The spoiler embargo in CineD was lifted.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The movie was garbage, no one cares about spoilers for it.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

The spoiler embargo in CineD was lifted.

like i said i dont care that much, its just weird to me because like - u see ppl freakin out over the FYAD Star Wars title or whatever

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

I said come in! posted:

i think im gonna like it

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

I thought we were talking about the comics. As for the movies they didn't exactly blow me away but no I would definitely not call them bad movies. The comics blow though, as does any of the garbage peddled by the Millars and Millers and Garth Ennises which is what I thought we were talking about.
I dunno about "CineD groupthink" but I think that's just what everyone calls an opinion they read here that they don't like. which means CineD groupthink IS CINED GROUPTHINK OH MY GOD

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Hey now, the CineD hivemind clearly states we will all say it's good because CineD trolls SA and/or is a bunch of wannabe pseudointellectual contrarians.

Hat Thoughts posted:

like i said i dont care that much, its just weird to me because like - u see ppl freakin out over the FYAD Star Wars title or whatever

to be fair, those spoilers were posted prior to the movie's release.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hat Thoughts posted:

That was a few days before anyone even had a chance to see the film though.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

Those were from a leaked script ahead of the release of the movie though. The rule of thumb is generally that you wait at least a week (or two?) after release to spoil things. Or at least that is for the movie's thread, since anyone posting in there more than a week after release should have seen the movie by that point. Since this is just the general comic thread though I guess it might make more sense to keep things spoilered in here for a little longer.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Those were from a leaked script ahead of the release of the movie though. The rule of thumb is generally that you wait at least a week (or two?) after release to spoil things. Or at least that is for the movie's thread, since anyone posting in there more than a week after release should have seen the movie by that point. Since this is just the general comic thread though I guess it might make more sense to keep things spoilered in here for a little longer.

ya I always think its weird when u go to like page 40 of a movie thread and the entire thing is just black bars, like, who is that for. It does make sense 2 have untagged spoilers for comic book movies in here though considering, u guys are right. thanks every1 for clarifying.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MacheteZombie posted:

SMG said, like movies, most comics are bad. He didn't say there weren't good ones. And you've somehow pivoted from comics to movies between posts.

I was more responding to the statement that movies shouldn't be like comics, which seemed to me to be the point of his post, since he says that at the end of his first paragraph. I then listed 3 excellent movies based off graphic novels. I even left out Watchmen, which is also excellent.

I will also state that all the lovely parts of superhero movies tend to exist because they pointlessly deviate from the comics. So therefore I would state the opposite and say that these movies would be improved if they adhered more closely to the source material.

For instance, just off the top of my head, Green Lantern: Rebirth. Basically a modern origin of pre-52 Green Lantern. If they made that into the movie, that movie would have been incredible

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 11, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I said come in! posted:

As excited as I am for Suicide Squad, i'm a bit concerned and confused about the storyline. I feel like the trailers are not doing enough to give the basic premise behind this film. In the previous trailer we see Amanda Waller trying to sell her crazy idea to some generals over dinner, and then in this new trailer she is doing it again at the White House? Why though? And what does Superman have to do with all of this? From how the trailers talk about him, this takes place after Batman vs. Superman, so he is dead at this point. What is the anxiety that the government is having that makes them feel that these locked away villains need to be brought out to do something?

After Superman showed up, these crazy villains started showing up too (of the Killer Croc variety, not the Joker variety). They were captured in the 2 years between Man of Steel and BvS, but Waller is trying to persuade the government to use them in some sort of black ops mission that has plausible deniability.

As for what the mission is, it's unclear.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

computer parts posted:

After Superman showed up, these crazy villains started showing up too (of the Killer Croc variety, not the Joker variety). They were captured in the 2 years between Man of Steel and BvS, but Waller is trying to persuade the government to use them in some sort of black ops mission that has plausible deniability.

Okay I was wondering if I was just nuts and missing something really obvious from the trailers. What are some of the differences we know about so far from the comic? I have never read it.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Im kind of glad we still dont know the plot because Im getting tired of trailers being mini movies that essentially give away every story beat. I hope they stay vague or I might let this be the last trailer I watch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

computer parts posted:

The villains have clearly been around a long time, they didn't all just pop up in that 2 year period.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Suicide Squad: Out of the Shadows

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Suicide Squad: Out of the Shadows

Suicide Squad: Out of Their Cells Tour

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rhyno posted:

The villains have clearly been around a long time, they didn't all just pop up in that 2 year period.

I mean public awareness, like in the Wonder Woman sense.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

AccountSupervisor posted:

Im kind of glad we still dont know the plot because Im getting tired of trailers being mini movies that essentially give away every story beat. I hope they stay vague or I might let this be the last trailer I watch.

I loving hate trailers nowadays. I think I would have enjoyed BvS a lot more if every good line wasn't in the trailer. What sucks most is I managed to avoid all trailers until I saw Force Awakens. I was excited until I finished BvS and realized I had already seen the good parts.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Go watch a trailer from the 70's. It's just the movie, sometimes upwards of like 3-4 minutes of trailer that is the entire drat movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hell, even into the '80s. I'm pretty sure almost the entire destruction of the Enterprise was in the trailer for The Search for Spock.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Rhyno posted:

Natalie Portman will not be in Thor 3.

http://www.newsarama.com/28780-report-new-thor-love-interest-cast-for-ragnarok-kind-of-a-superhero.html

Replaced instead by the not very talented Tessa Thompson, most recently seen in Creed.

She was fine in Creed. Only thing I remember being distracted by or standing out with her was how much she reminded me of Lisa Bonet.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sorry, I know this is a couple of pages ago, but regarding AoU: I thought it was a fun movie, and James Spader was eating up scenery left and right, but I think it says a lot that imo the best sequence in the movie was actually the short interlude at Clint's house.

Action sequences like the im/hulk fight were good, but coming straight off of back to back awesome movies Winter Soldier and Guardians it definitely didn't have the same wow factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rhyno posted:

Also, a lot of the Squad don't have flashy metahuman powers. Croc, Diablo, and Enchantress, sure, but Slipknot, Boomerang, Harley, Katana, and the Joker aren't supernatural or obviously inhuman. Even Croc could be rationalized as just a dude with a really rare and horrible skin condition.

• Locked thread