Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Ah! gently caress! That hot glue gun 'hack' is terrifying! As someone that has had third-degree burns from hot glue, just go buy an actual glue gun for like 5$.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

pulp rag posted:

Ah! gently caress! That hot glue gun 'hack' is terrifying! As someone that has had third-degree burns from hot glue, just go buy an actual glue gun for like 5$.

For real. Hacks like that are only good if you're somewhere that has all those things but no stores or internet and your time is literally worth nothing because so many of these hacks take more time and effort than the thing is worth.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

What makes the stupid "saw" one even worse is that it's a hack saw blade.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Karma Monkey posted:

For real. Hacks like that are only good if you're somewhere that has all those things but no stores or internet and your time is literally worth nothing because so many of these hacks take more time and effort than the thing is worth.

Said the man who spends his time looking at life hacks he isn't even going to use! Checkmate, athestits :smugbert:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

What makes the stupid "saw" one even worse is that it's a hack saw blade.

There's been plenty of times I wished I had a pocket hack saw. Of course I wouldn't carry around a pocket hack saw exactly as I wouldn't carry around a pocket knife so that's a moot point I guess :shrug:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I on the other hand have a sudden craving for cubic yards of curly PET strips.

brb

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Anyone with cats will tell you that tooth brush one is pants-on-head stupid.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Kwyndig posted:

Oh come on, who doesn't carry around two new toothbrushes with them at all times in case their bike chain needs lubing or cleaning or whatever the gently caress that guy was doing?
You don't carry them around - you store them in a diagonal position using clothespins so that they require 5 times the usual space and you have to life-hack a bigger surface in your bathroom using pizza cardboard and PET strips or some poo poo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kwyndig posted:

I like how one of these is just straight up how to break into something secured with a cheap padlock. That's not really a lifehack, more of a potential crime.

Lifehack: Don't buy locks from the dollar store so you can force them open when you lose the key

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Improbable Lobster posted:

Lifehack: Don't buy locks from the dollar store so you can force them open when you lose the key
It must have been this thread where I told the story about the kid in middle school who could open Master Locks with a shoe. Best not to pretend any padlock is doing anything protective if it is out of sight and out of earshot.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Jerry Cotton posted:

Said the man who spends his time looking at life hacks he isn't even going to use! Checkmate, athestits :smugbert:

Ha! I get paid by the government to look at life hacks I'm not going to use. As long as my boss isn't around. :ssh:

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Karate Bastard posted:

I on the other hand have a sudden craving for cubic yards of curly PET strips.

brb

Boy howdy, do I have the kickstarter for you :D.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/910418035/plastic-bottle-cutter

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jerry Cotton posted:

There's been plenty of times I wished I had a pocket hack saw. Of course I wouldn't carry around a pocket hack saw exactly as I wouldn't carry around a pocket knife so that's a moot point I guess :shrug:

The point is that hacksaw blades don’t really work when they aren’t under tension.

quote:

for car towing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMbT4DOi21U&t=56s

:gonk:

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 02:56 on Apr 12, 2016

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Scathach posted:

Anyone with cats will tell you that tooth brush one is pants-on-head stupid.

You use your cat to clean your bike chain?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cats eat toothbrush bristles. The ones that don't usually like to rub their heads against them or bat them with their paws.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Jerry Cotton posted:

I was going to yell at you about this because how do you think "that would be really useful but I would never do it because I have already developed an opinion about people who have a pocket knife" but then I realized that I feel the same way about cell phones.

E: not that there's anything wrong with having / using a phone but holy poo poo is it annoying to go out to dinner and sitting there while everyone under 35 or so looks at their phone the entire time and most of the conversation is "hey do you want to get in my snapchat picture" "oh look we made the city story"

lifehack: interact with other humans in the physical space walla

titties has a new favorite as of 04:37 on Apr 12, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Combine several lovely lifehacks into a single gif that plays too fast to really see any of them properly. Lifehack!

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

zedprime posted:

It must have been this thread where I told the story about the kid in middle school who could open Master Locks with a shoe. Best not to pretend any padlock is doing anything protective if it is out of sight and out of earshot.

Master locks are the worst. There's a guy on youtube (bosnianbill if you want to look him up) who has gotten several angry letters from Master Lock telling him to stop making fun of them for being so easy to open. And even Master locks are made of hardened steel, there is no way you'd ever pry open anything but the cheapest dollar store padlock using two wrenches.

I mean I guess, if you're a teenager and you lost the key to your diary or something, but this won't work on any lock that's actually being used to secure something valuable.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

titties posted:

I was going to yell at you about this because how do you think "that would be really useful but I would never do it because I have already developed an opinion about people who have a pocket knife" but then I realized that I feel the same way about cell phones.

E: not that there's anything wrong with having / using a phone but holy poo poo is it annoying to go out to dinner and sitting there while everyone under 35 or so looks at their phone the entire time and most of the conversation is "hey do you want to get in my snapchat picture" "oh look we made the city story"

gently caress off grandpa. Sorry that there aren't as many conversations for you to listen in on while you eat your porridge or whatever.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

as someone who loving loves eavesdropping, todays youth bores and angers me

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Improbable Lobster posted:

gently caress off grandpa. Sorry that there aren't as many conversations for you to listen in on while you eat your porridge or whatever.

Are you even capable of looking another person in the eye

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

titties posted:

If you want someone to interact with you, try being interesting enough that they don't look for entertainment elsewhere.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What a lifehack! :eek:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
LIFEHACK: If Screaming Idiot is having a meltdown challenge him to a competition. You will attempt to tie him up with increasingly powerful chains and if he fails to break out of one he loses. You may need to allow him to have one of Literally a Bird's wings in his mouth as insurance however.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

That's so hot :swoon:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Rysithusiku posted:

You use your cat to clean your bike chain?

Occasionally. Don't judge me :colbert:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

zedprime posted:

There are plenty of padlocks widely available at a reasonable* price good enough to make people rather go through a wall than try to break or bypass them in any manner. (We had a lot of break-ins at a previous job due to storing a lot of machinery and gas in semi-secluded locations.)

*) Assuming you have something actually worth protecting with it. I wouldn't pay forty euros to lock up my wood shed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

The point is that hacksaw blades don’t really work when they aren’t under tension.

Yes they do. If you've never had to saw through a bolt or hasp or something with just a broken blade and some jesus tape to protect your hand I don't know what to tell you except it works just fine. It's not very pleasant or fast but it'll do the job.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

There are plenty of padlocks widely available at a reasonable* price good enough to make people rather go through a wall than try to break or bypass them in any manner. (We had a lot of break-ins at a previous job due to storing a lot of machinery and gas in semi-secluded locations.)

*) Assuming you have something actually worth protecting with it. I wouldn't pay forty euros to lock up my wood shed.

Of course the wall might be more expensive to repair than replacing the lock :shrug:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Lock all the manure in the shed, hide the machinery behind a rock.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Karate Bastard posted:

Lock all the manure in the shed, hide the machinery behind a rock.

The junkies were injecting weed behind those rocks before trying to steal the machinery. We'd often find discarded DRUG PARAPHERNALIA, empty canisters (that had most likely previously contained sugar wine), and emptied-out wallets in the wooded areas.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

titties posted:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Another old-timey lifehack to do with social interactions:

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Build a shed out of padlocks.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kuiperdolin posted:

Lock it with wood.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jerry Cotton posted:

Another old-timey lifehack to do with social interactions:

Is that nigga cutting off he own fingats? What in God's name for?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Kuiperdolin posted:

And the really lovely ones. It'll take forever for them to brake all of them.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jerry Cotton posted:

My dad owned a storage shed with some valuable machines in it that had some hardcore Belarusian padlocks on it (they were the most sturdy things I have seen in my entire life) in addition to a good lock and a metal bar on a hinge that would block the door from the inside. In order to lift the metal bar you had to pull a piece of rope that went through a hole in the wall and hanged outside by the door.

The system worked well enough against regular thieves but one day came a crew that did not gently caress around. Those guys had to have some heavy machinery with them because they cut through the crazy padlocks, they destroyed the lock in the door...but they couldn't figure out the rope which was just hanging there by the door so the metal bar stopped them. Upon further inspection my dad found a place where they managed to cut through the metal wall of the shed but they had the bad luck of doing that in a spot where some metal sheets were standing against the wall on the inside so it looked as if there was a second metal wall to cut through so they gave up. With all that a simple metal lever stopped them because it's just something that nobody expects.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Palpek posted:

My dad owned a storage shed with some valuable machines in it that had some hardcore Belarusian padlocks on it (they were the most sturdy things I have seen in my entire life) in addition to a good lock and a metal bar on a hinge that would block the door from the inside. In order to lift the metal bar you had to pull a piece of rope that went through a hole in the wall and hanged outside by the door.

The system worked well enough against regular thieves but one day came a crew that did not gently caress around. Those guys had to have some heavy machinery with them because they cut through the crazy padlocks, they destroyed the lock in the door...but they couldn't figure out the rope which was just hanging there by the door so the metal bar stopped them. Upon further inspection my dad found a place where they managed to cut through the metal wall of the shed but they had the bad luck of doing that in a spot where some metal sheets were standing against the wall on the inside so it looked as if there was a second metal wall to cut through so they gave up. With all that a simple metal lever stopped them because it's just something that nobody expects.

Heh, until now :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Actual life hack: don't have an open electric outlet conveniently placed near your [locked-up thing]. Nothing like paying for the electricity someone uses up to break into your poo poo with an angle grinder.