Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

akadajet posted:

So it's mostly an avoidance game. I wasn't having much luck with anti-airs but probably slow execution on my part.

Go into training mode and practice shoryu on a jumping zangief dummy. If you can't anti air with shoryu you should seriously consider a different character with a strong one button anti air, like Birdie.

After doing a jump in on gief, are you mixing up or doing the same thing over and over? Try neutral jump or throw if he blocks. Keep him guessing.

The biggest reason new players lose to average or below average players Is predictability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

akadajet posted:

Need some help. I'm trying to learn with Ryu. I'm not an experienced fighting game player by any means but I'm at the point where I'm winning against bronze level Ryu and Kens. However I get into a matchup with Zangief and can't do poo poo. Jump forward = insta dead. Move backwards I'm alive till I run out of space and the fucker catches me. Block and I'm dead because he grabs me and fucks my poo poo up. Any strats?

any chance you can record a replay of you losing to a gief?

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

isn't he complete rear end at SF now?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

That seems kind of unfair

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Help Im Alive posted:

That seems kind of unfair

What calling the, truth the truth?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Microwaves Mom posted:

Are you basing this solely on his NCR performance or...?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Microwaves Mom posted:

no, that's you and everyone else who posts in these threads.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

no, that's you and everyone else who posts in these threads.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I've yet to meet a single alex even use his v-skill in a match, let alone land hits with it. Anyone else incorporated it yet? I've been using it for jab punishes, as the hard hit will usually combo into mp-flash / elbow / v-trigger and also fishing with his hk. If it hits, it's a guaranteed CC into the corner. I like how it won't reset if you land throws and command grabs. Not sure how else to use it though.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
You basically only use it if you have space fullscreen and then you can use it to fish for a cc roundhouse or fierce into fierce chop.

Or if you stun them, v-skill into st.HK, HK elbow, cr.HP, ex knee is like his best combo.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I've yet to meet a single alex even use his v-skill in a match, let alone land hits with it. Anyone else incorporated it yet? I've been using it for jab punishes, as the hard hit will usually combo into mp-flash / elbow / v-trigger and also fishing with his hk. If it hits, it's a guaranteed CC into the corner. I like how it won't reset if you land throws and command grabs. Not sure how else to use it though.

Depends on the matchup; at a minimum, use it before starting any-post stun combo, but if I'm fighting a character who doesn't have a ranged option and they start to backdash to get away, use it as a threat to either a) catch them with a counterhit/crush counter hit, or b) make them worried and block too much, opening themselves up for a command grab.

It's limited in use overall, though, which makes me happy that they only made his gauge 2 bars long.

EDIT: Though even using it when they backdash means you aren't putting pressure on them, so even that use is questionable.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Someone posted this video a while back of RB using Alex (with a ridiculous ending) + he uses it a little

https://www.facebook.com/adi.arubi/videos/1100804753296114/

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
So... our little group is pretty bad. Beginner-tier. But I'd appreciate some advice, and have a couple of replay IDs of the most common matchup that I play (Cammy vs Ken).

ID#: 2D2136B
ID#: 3184882

What are our worst bad habits, and what should we be doing to punish those habits? Presumably if we know how to punish them, we'll beat them out of each other.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

interrodactyl posted:

any chance you can record a replay of you losing to a gief?

I'll try to get one next time I run into gief again.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

As someone who has played lots of low-level gief vs. ryu, all you need to do is keep gief afraid of fireballs or DP and chip him out as he chases you down. And when you do get pushed into the corner, focus on finding a safe time to get out because then he has to start the chasing process all over again.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Florida locals, we're getting together tonight at Games on Tap and next Monday we're running a bracket.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

This looks kind of cool, though. :goleft:

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Orochi Ken

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm glad they put all their resources into ryu

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm glad they put all their resources into ryu

Ryu, Chun, Gief, Sim, and Bison all look great. No idea why the rest of the cast is so bland/bad.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
poor ken went hard into plastic surgery after he won all that money and he just never looked right after that

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why are all the good players in casual and all the bad players in ranked around bronze tier?
i can't win a game while i'm warming up on casual/lobby matches and then i go into ranked and ko a ken 4 times straight with no trouble.
its weird

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No one who's good plays on Ranked because ranked matches are a loving carnival of lovely play

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

also, ranks don't mean jack loving poo poo either

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

NecroMonster posted:

actually it helps decide seeding for capcom pro tour

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Baal posted:

No one who's good plays on Ranked because ranked matches are a loving carnival of lovely play

NecroMonster posted:

Tell that to Art aaaAAaa esportsportsports

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sarchasm posted:

Ryu, Chun, Gief, Sim, and Bison all look great. No idea why the rest of the cast is so bland/bad.

:confused:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I like her Alpha 3 costume better. :colbert:

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Sarchasm posted:

It's still in beta, they're working on it.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Sarchasm posted:

Laura, birdie, mika, cammy, necali, rashid and fang all look fine.

I'm kinda confused on what you're going by.

The baddies are alex and ken.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

SectumSempra posted:

Laura, birdie, mika, cammy, necali, rashid and fang all look fine.

Yeah, fine. Fine is just a polite way of saying bland.

I'll give it to you that Birdie and FANG look pretty cool but the models have some serious clipping issues. The others are either just okay or have looked cooler in past games. Cammy doesn't even have her camo, that's the entire reason she's named Cammy goddammit.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Sarchasm posted:

I'll give it to you that Birdie and FANG look pretty cool but the models have some serious clipping issues. The others are either just okay or have looked cooler in past games. Cammy doesn't even have her camo, that's the entire reason she's named Cammy goddammit.

When I try to grab with birdie and my fat dumb hand passes entirely through the opponent's face without connecting it makes me upset.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Sarchasm posted:

Nah by fine i mean they are designed well for sf characters.

Viper's design is bland, her characters good. Hakan and juri were more out there design wise. Abel was bland as hell design wise.

Sf characters are usually caricatures of nationalities.

Birdie is well designed, Fang is too, laura has one of the better face models in the game, rashid is just well designed overall.

If you were comparing to guilty gear or something I'd get it, but design wise everyone is on par for street fighter.

Cammy is from here

also sf5 cammy premium alt is the best she's ever had

if we're talking clipping and such, sf4 had clipping too but also had a lot less designs that would have them.

So i'm not sure if you're talking design or execution.

Execution wise yeah sf5 isn't the best.
Design wise though. nothing out of the usual here :shrug:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

im still mad that i dont have the cammy preorder costume and got stuck with chun dress

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

That cammy costume is so good i might actually play cammy but i don't want to put any more money into sf5. So gently caress that.

also you still have to play survival to unlock the colors per costume LOL.

speaking of laura

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im still mad that i dont have the cammy preorder costume and got stuck with chun dress

chun dress is also v good.

Hell based on those 4 costumes i though the sf5 costumes would all be good, but then they showed all the premium costumes...

but we get

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

SectumSempra posted:

speaking of laura

what the gently caress