Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm not getting crashes, I'm getting massive 1FPS slowdowns when I transition to a new area or spin my camera any place there are a lot of background assets (so like, the entirety of the Wall).

Lowering motion blur and shadows to Low has helped a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

why the gently caress isn't it subtitled "Prepare Your Die"? Someone dropped the ball faster than I drop when I meet a blue knight

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How do you get into the gorge near the dilapidated bridge bonfire? I've looked around and can't find a way down and it looks too far to fall

I've also ended up upgrading the starting longsword before i found the large club and titanite has been really rare. I'm still at +1 longsword/+2 club after the third boss

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

why the gently caress isn't it subtitled "Prepare Your Die"? Someone dropped the ball faster than I drop when I meet a blue knight

I remember trying to backstab the first one I found. It just made him mad.

Still won, though.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Soho Joe posted:

What in the gently caress, intro area the first boss

Holy poo poo. Holy holy poo poo.

The first time I've ever dodged an attack and thought "I almost want to get hit to see what it does." Then I saw a bloodpool ghost flail wildly in the air and got the gist of it.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

fire raiper has been owning for me

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
In the past what were the more popular platforms for Dark Souls? I'm looking to pick the game up for either PC or PS4, but I want the platform that would most likely have more players to choose from when doing invasions/coop and stuff. I don't even know if it's possible to get concurrent player numbers for PS4 like you can with steam.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

In the past what were the more popular platforms for Dark Souls? I'm looking to pick the game up for either PC or PS4, but I want the platform that would most likely have more players to choose from when doing invasions/coop and stuff. I don't even know if it's possible to get concurrent player numbers for PS4 like you can with steam.

i've never really had a problem doing multiplayer on the PC and it has the advantage of being able to cheat engine things like upgrade materials into the game

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

What should I do to make my weapon not be bad as a pyromancer

fire gem??? I would use it on my handaxe but I don't think the weapon is very good.

I haven't found chaos gems and I don't think they show up for a good long while

also:

if I upgrade a weapon to fire +8 or something, does scouring the upgrade make it a regular +8 or a regular +0

DarkAvenger211 posted:

is your PC better hardware wise than your PS4? if so go PC

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

DarkAvenger211 posted:

steam had the biggest community for 2 iirc. I think PC will have more in the long run but imo you can't go wrong with either platform. It just depends if your computer is poo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

It's Souls, every platform will be chockablock with phantoms. Xbone will probably be the sparsest because Xbone, but it still shouldn't be too bad.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Mortimer posted:

What should I do to make my weapon not be bad as a pyromancer

Raw

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

It's Souls, every platform will be chockablock with phantoms. Xbone will probably be the sparsest because Xbone, but it still shouldn't be too bad.

360 DS2 was still pretty lit a month ago. My friend was playing daily with lots of people.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is it just me or is the Battle Axe move set much improved this time around?

Also: any reason not to spend Titanite on the Deep Battle Axe you can get in the High Wall? It already does more damage than my +2 Uchigatana and I'm having more fun with it, too, but I know it doesn't scale.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Because you know objectively what stuff in Dks2 meant, more the developer does. :jerkbag:

And yeah, the Throne of Want is just the Kiln in another shape.

I'm partial to the explanation that the Kiln/throne is not only what holds this world into existence (or at least normalcy), but additionally holds all the many worlds/realities in the Souls multiverse, and Lordran, Drangleic are parallel realities.

Given that fire is implied to have brought diversity in the DS1 opening, perhaps these worlds (and all others where the fire goes out) leak into each other as the fire goes fiddly, starting with spirits, and ending with a dramatic layering of reality upon reality until all diversity is lost and we're left with a cold prefire nonexistence should a relinking not occur.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

b0red posted:

steam had the biggest community for 2 iirc. I think PC will have more in the long run but imo you can't go wrong with either platform. It just depends if your computer is poo

I don't think the game is too demanding hardware-wise, to be honest. I'm using an old iMac with a 780M mobile GPU and the game runs much better than Bloodborne does on my PS4 so I'd encourage anyone to at least give the PC version a whirl to see how it runs. I thought the game would run like garbage on my computer since it's not built for gaming but decided to give it a go since Steam has a no-nonsense refund policy, and I'm really surprised at how well the game runs. It just makes me sad that they'll never bring Bloodborne to PC as well because that game would benefit tremendously from a stable framerate.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So is there a red covenant this time? I'm invading the poo poo out of people and have a ton of tongues saved up, but dunno what to do with them.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Jose posted:

How do you get into the gorge near the dilapidated bridge bonfire? I've looked around and can't find a way down and it looks too far to fall

I've also ended up upgrading the starting longsword before i found the large club and titanite has been really rare. I'm still at +1 longsword/+2 club after the third boss

Buy the key from the lady in Firelink (the 1,500 soul one, not the 20k) and then explore the sewers underneath Undead Settlement

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

While sprinting through the high wall with 5% hp remaining and no estus and oh jesus there's dragons and oh jesus it learned to shoot fire in a second direction and enemies everywhere was fun and great, I feel like I missed out on a lot of loot. :haw:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Corvo posted:

I don't think the game is too demanding hardware-wise, to be honest. I'm using an old iMac with a 780M mobile GPU and the game runs much better than Bloodborne does on my PS4 so I'd encourage anyone to at least give the PC version a whirl to see how it runs. I thought the game would run like garbage on my computer since it's not built for gaming but decided to give it a go since Steam has a no-nonsense refund policy, and I'm really surprised at how well the game runs.

I'm running this thing on a fairly ancient intel Q9400 with 8GB and a 750Ti, and as low as the frame numbers may be it still runs smoother than DS1 did the other day

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
After more deaths to the first boss than I expected (serves me right for going with deprived), I got to the firelink shrine. How do I get out???

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Between PC and PS4, PC is your only option. Dark Souls is a PS3 game, so that won't fly on PS4. Besides, to answer your question, the PC version is probably much more populated these days. Just look up some graphical tweaks to get it running and looking nice, and maybe a gamepad hack if it's needed (the KBM controls were totally lovely.)

Edit: you may be talking about getting Dark Souls 3; both versions should be plenty populated with co-op players.

enojy fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 12, 2016

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

kanonvandekempen posted:

After more deaths to the first boss than I expected (serves me right for going with deprived), I got to the firelink shrine. How do I get out???

Teleport from the bonfire menu

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

kanonvandekempen posted:

Same way you get out of all your problems: stab a thing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Traxis posted:

Buy the key from the lady in Firelink (the 1,500 soul one, not the 20k) and then explore the sewers underneath Undead Settlement

I completely missed there was a cheaper key available :ughh:

had an enemy charge me and get stuck in the terrain

Lakitouille
Oct 12, 2007
Turns out I crash when I kill an enemy only when I am in ember form. But getting hit with fire arrows still crashes the game so that's fun.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Traxis posted:

Teleport from the bonfire menu

Argh, I spent so much time looking for a way out of that place, and this didn't occur to me.
Double Argh for having to wait for the full game to download to the ps4 to be able to do this :(

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

kanonvandekempen posted:

Argh, I spent so much time looking for a way out of that place, and this didn't occur to me.
Double Argh for having to wait for the full game to download to the ps4 to be able to do this :(

Read the hints on the floor, there's a developer message on the floor right next to the fire saying to teleport.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Jose posted:

https://fat.gfycat.com/MilkyThoroughCockroach.mp4

:thumbsup:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

the knights that look like a cross between the fluted armor from demon's souls and the alva armor from DS2 are completely pushing my poo poo in. if they tag me with any part of their combo, it seems like i'm instantly poise-broken and they just unload into me. i also had one of the sword wielding ones almost dead, i roll past him, and he two-hands his sword and does this huge chop as i come out of my roll that does 75% of my health and one-shots me.

between those fully armored knights and the dark monsters, what's the best way for dealing with all this stuff that seems to be able to kill you with 1 hit? i know the firebombs that get littered everywhere are for the dark monsters, but honestly i've just started running past them, because there's no way they're worth the effort it's taking me to try and down one of them. everything feels like rocket tag, except i am armed with a pea shooter, and while i keep chip chip chipping away, any single enemy is one hit away from just pasting me across the castle.

it seems to me that the loss of being able to dual wield whatever weapons you want was also a dumb idea.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

How far in do you have to get for the sunlight warriors covenant in this game? (I don't think that's really a spoiler but erring on the side of caution for people.)

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Will i be able to run this game? my specs are these, I think I have a good enough cpu but CANYOURUNIT says I dont so I dunno =/.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz
8 gb ram
geforce GTX 860M

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

So every parry shield has a different-ish parry animation? Boy do I hate that.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

LibbyM posted:

How far in do you have to get for the sunlight warriors covenant in this game? (I don't think that's really a spoiler but erring on the side of caution for people.)

Undead Settlement

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

b0red posted:

The high wall is a really fun place to sunbro because of the three ways you can go. I've had people that want to go straight to the boss and others who want to get all the items. Basically people who just got there and those who've been throwing themselves at the map.

praising the sun rn that i upgrade my graphics card a month ago for this.

Spoiler how to become a Sunbro tia

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

LibbyM posted:

How far in do you have to get or the sunlight warriors covenant in this game? (I don't think that's really a spoiler but erring on the side of caution for people.)

undead settlement, so the third zone you get a thing you wear to join

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

weekly font posted:

So every parry shield has a different-ish parry animation? Boy do I hate that.

I couldn't even land a parry on the tutorial enemies, though I got partial ones. I just gave up and switched to one that lets me use the weapon stance instead.

Then I learned that the longsword weapon stance sucks.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
After playing all the other souls games and bloodborne on console, it feels like a huge treat to play this at 60 FPS. Hopefully From addresses the weird hitching that happens while autosaving soon, because I'm enjoying this quite a bit otherwise.

Also, BB made me better at parrying.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

Undead Settlement

Spanish Manlove posted:

undead settlement, so the third zone you get a thing you wear to join

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

I couldn't even land a parry on the tutorial enemies, though I got partial ones. I just gave up and switched to one that lets me use the weapon stance instead.

Then I learned that the longsword weapon stance sucks.

otoh weapon stance shield with broadsword is nice. Extra damage of a broadsword and you get some poke attacks for hallways